News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George Pazin

Starting Wed., 10/28 - Get To Know Jason Topp
« on: October 27, 2009, 01:20:45 PM »
Jason Topp was kind enough to offer to take a couple days, so please start thinking up questions for him. I will try to add a bit more later.

-----
On deck: ?? Looking for an industry guy, if anyone wishes to volunteer.

Previous participants:

Jeff Brauer

Kyle Harris

Mike Young

Anthony Nysse

Jim Franklin

Phillip Young

Tim Gerrish

Bill McBride

Rich Goodale

Martin Bonnar

Kyle Henderson

Brian Phillips

-----

Editor's note: Sorry I have been a little slow updating these threads, life has been a little crazy. Also, if you have contacted me with suggestions/advice/offers, I haven't forgotten about you, I'm just having a little trouble keeping everything organized. I have a few hundred messages sitting in my inbox and unfortunately I have discovered that long term sleep deprivation does serious damage to one's brain. Thanks for your patience and understanding, and thanks everyone for getting into the spirit of these threads.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Greg Krueger

Re: Starting Wed., 10/28 - Get To Know Jason Topp
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 03:39:32 PM »
Hi Jason, thanks for taking the time to do this, looking forward to following your Q&A.

1) Were you born and raised in Minnesota?

2) In 1981 I worked the summer on the grounds crew at Oak Ridge, great experience but it sure was tough
getting up that early. How has the course evolved in the last 28 years and is Mr. Scott still super or has he
retired?

3) There were alot of trees back then, has there been an adequate tree program or is #9 about 10 feet wide now?

4) What is your favorite restaurant in the Twin Cities area?

jonathan_becker

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 03:47:31 PM »
Hi Jason,

I liked your photos of Royal Melbourne, especially #10 tee.  In your opinion, name a positive aspect of RM that would surprise the first-time visitor.... and what was your favorite hole? (I wanna play there really bad).

What do you think of Dellwood Hills? (An old friend of mine grew up playing there. I've never played it)

Assuming access wasn't an issue, what's the #1 course that you wanna play that you haven't played?

You live in MN, correct?  What's the coldest day that you've ever played golf?

Edit: After seeing your first post below - What is your favorite public and private in AZ?

Was Kirby Puckett a good guy or a huge piece of sh*t?  

Thanks !
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 09:58:22 PM by jonathan becker »

Phil McDade

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 04:11:12 PM »
Jason:

Other than Rochester CC and Northland in Duluth, what's a really solid Classic-Era golf course outside the Twin Cities metro area? Are there any? (and I consider White Bear Lake to be part of the metro area... ;))

Any below-the-radar courses in Minnesota that never get discussed, but worth seeking out? Could be 9 or 18 holes.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 04:34:43 PM »
Is Edinburgh as bad a design as I remember from 20 years ago?

Was it as much fuin with your kids in Scotland as those photos made it look?

What did they do while you were at Buda 2008?

Jason Topp

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 08:19:31 PM »
Thanks for the questions so far.  I am in the middle of a short trial (I am a lawyer) which will end tomorrow so I probably will not get cracking on answers until tomorrow evening. 

I have no connection to the industry, but topics for me might include:

Golf Trips - Australia, Ireland, Scotland, Texarkana (I am not kidding), New Mexico, Arizona, Palm Springs, Galena, IL, LA (public); Monterrey, Hawaii (very little golf); North Carolina, Kiawah, Fort Myers, Orlando ( a little); Rhodes, IA, Sand Hills, Sutton Bay, Las Vegas, San Antonio; Northern Minnesota (Brainerd and Giant's Ridge); Bandon Dunes, Kingsley Club and certainly some others I can't think of right now

Courses in the states I know the best (Minnesota, Iowa and Arizona).

The transition from long time muni golfer to country club member

My struggle to figure out how to be an effective member of Greens [sic] Comittee

Central America - why I travel on Presidents Day weekend to one of the following each year Mexico, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Honduras, Dominican Republic, or Guatemala

Film Festivals:  I have really enjoyed a couple of film festivals and found the discussions somewhat reminicent of GCA event.

The concept of the "make up trip" and how it relates to the two preceeding topics

beagles

Jay Flemma

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 08:22:25 PM »
Hey Jason:

Minikahda, Interlachen, or White Bear Yacht Club - which do you like and why?
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Anthony Gray

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 08:25:04 PM »

Jason,

Thanks for playing.

How old are you?

Do you have a speciality in law?

Have you been to The Domincan Republic?

Tell us your education background.

Have you played with Bill McBride?

Anthony

Bill_McBride

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 09:44:07 PM »

Jason,
  Have you played with Bill McBride?

Anthony

George Pazin,

I really don't see what Jason's sexual orientation has to do with your series. I think some sort of suspension is in order.

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Anthony Gray

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2009, 09:51:02 PM »

Jason,

What is your favorite genre?

I love Little Miss Sunshine, What did you think about it?

Your favorite Stallone movie. 

Have you played with Kelly Blake Moran?

Does Minnesota really have gophers and vikings?

Anthony

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2009, 11:05:46 PM »
Howdy Jason
Where have you traveled that you felt least safe?
What is the local drink in Nicaragua?
Favorite course in Texarkana?
What kind of player are you: Fun or Challenge or Beauty?
Have you ever talked movies with The Emperor (Tommy N.)?
Do you wish we could trace everyones old posts like the old days so things would make more sense in the Treehouse!!  :)
Have you ever told Ran or Ben to put them back?
In stead of true/false do you think the bar exam should be guilty/not guilty?
Cheers
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil & Tiger.

astavrides

Re: Starting Wed., 10/28 - Get To Know Jason Topp New
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2009, 02:39:14 AM »
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 10:08:51 PM by astavrides »

George Pazin

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2009, 01:25:43 PM »
Bumping for Jason - he had told me he was unavailable Mon and Tues, so he wasn't able to answer much.

Standard questions apply:

What brought you to golf?

Architecture/design?

This site?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 04:09:26 PM by George Pazin »
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Garland Bayley

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2009, 03:28:03 PM »
I'll take one for Jason.

Yes, there are Vikings and gophers in Minnesota. Some of the Vikings even build Viking boats to take them back to the motherland.
As far as I know, the gophers don't build boats.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Anthony Gray

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2009, 04:00:34 PM »
I'll take one for Jason.

Yes, there are Vikings and gophers in Minnesota. Some of the Vikings even build Viking boats to take them back to the motherland.

Are the boats built with gopher wood?

Anthony

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2009, 04:04:08 PM »

Central America - why I travel on Presidents Day weekend to one of the following each year Mexico, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Honduras, Dominican Republic, or Guatemala

I'll bite on that one.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Garland Bayley

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2009, 04:18:44 PM »
I'll take one for Jason.

Are the boats built with gopher wood?

Anthony

No, but when building they have to gopher wood.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jason Topp

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2009, 09:22:44 PM »
Ok.  I am back.

Hi Jason, thanks for taking the time to do this, looking forward to following your Q&A.

1) Were you born and raised in Minnesota?
Born and raised in Iowa.  I consider Des Moines my home town.  I played Waveland as a kid.

2) In 1981 I worked the summer on the grounds crew at Oak Ridge, great experience but it sure was tough
getting up that early. How has the course evolved in the last 28 years and is Mr. Scott still super or has he
retired?
Keith is being honored this winter by the Minnesota section of the GCSAA for 40 years of service.  He is retiring after next year. 
I view my job on the Greens[sic] Committee to primarily try and help to keep people out of Keith's way.  He knows what he is doing.  Our course is nearly always in terrific condition despite too many trees and less than ideal soil.

3) There were alot of trees back then, has there been an adequate tree program or is #9 about 10 feet wide now?

Trees have been a major focus over the five years I have been there.  I think we have spent $50K per year removing trees each year.  We have many more that need to come out and we looked at some of them that need to go a couple of weeks ago. 

We have taken many out on the right side of 9.  I believe canopy to canopy it was 18 yards wide five years ago.

We would have fewer trees except for our ample flower budget.

4) What is your favorite restaurant in the Twin Cities area?

112 Eatery in Minneapolis - eclectic menu with everything from cheeseburgers to French cuisine

The Strip Club in St. Paul - terrific little space in a neighborhood north of downtown with a fantastic view.

Jason Topp

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2009, 10:19:01 PM »
Hi Jason,

I liked your photos of Royal Melbourne, especially #10 tee.  In your opinion, name a positive aspect of RM that would surprise the first-time visitor.... and what was your favorite hole? (I wanna play there really bad).

For my taste, the sandbelt is the best golf destination in the world.  While I understand the "nae wind, nae golf" school of thought, sandbelt courses offer the ideal combination of varied wind conditions, warmer weather, interesting greens and beautiful bunkers.  You also can shoot a decent score if playing well. 

Some things I noticed:

1.   The par threes are fantastic, even the ones you have never heard about.  For example, 16 struck me as an amazing golf hole that gets little attention. 

In general, I thought the quality of sandbelt par threes was incredible, and I do not think there was anything especially unique about the land on which they were located.  Instead, when you combine firm interesting greens with beautiful bunkers and interesting surrounds, a par three can be built anywhere.  For example:

2.  The bunkers are ideal "hazards" in my opinion.  Every bunker shot is different - from essentially a shot off of hard pan to a shot out of deep sand to a shot out of chunked in vegetation.  I usually had a chance to recover but had to think a lot about what shot to hit and then try and pull it off.

3.  The rough is also about ideal, at least at the time I played it.  Very dry splotchy bermuda that created a wide variety of lies.

4.  It is possible to get locked in a paddock.  I was locked into the paddock containing holes 13-16 which left me with a very formidable climb to get out.  It posed an interesting dilemma - try to escape or spend an entire afternoon playing some of the best golf holes in the world.  I escaped but then played Woodlands on a whim which was a treasure experience.

What do you think of Dellwood Hills? (An old friend of mine grew up playing there. I've never played it)

I have never played Dellwood Hills.  I always have always had the impression it was tough and long.

Assuming access wasn't an issue, what's the #1 course that you wanna play that you haven't played?
In the US - the usual list.  I have not played many of the top private courses with the notable exception of Sand Hills.

Outside of the US, there are more destinations that I will ever visit.  Tops on my list are Northern Ireland, the Heathland courses, Kent, Liverpool (Liverpool, Lytham, Birkdale), Pennard, those Dutch links courses, the French courses (e.g. Montoforlaine), and Nova Scotia. 

You live in MN, correct?  What's the coldest day that you've ever played golf?
This day at a GCA outing organized by R.J. Daily in South Dakota - 35 degrees heavy wind and some lake effect snow:

My warmest round of golf was with Phillip Gawith at Newcastle.  I think it was 45 degrees celsius.  We walked but only lasted nine holes.

Edit: After seeing your first post below - What is your favorite public and private in AZ?

Public:  Southern Dunes - terrific strategic test in the middle of nowhere. (honorable mentions - Vista Verde, Ventana Canyon, Apache Stronghold)

Private:  Tucson Country Club - I like other courses better but I really like the club and a traditional walking course.   (honorable mentions - Estancia, Desert Highlands)

Was Kirby Puckett a good guy or a huge piece of sh*t?  
  Kirby was a great baseball player who left behind a well regarded family.  By all accounts, he had a lot of strengths and weaknesses as a person. 

Bill_McBride

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2009, 10:31:39 PM »
Jason, good call on Tucson CC - some great Billy Bell Sr bunkering that makes the course and has been restored to original from what I've heard.  Southern Dunes is another good one, the one south of Phoenix (I also like the one in Florida).

Jason Topp

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2009, 10:37:35 PM »
Jason:

Other than Rochester CC and Northland in Duluth, what's a really solid Classic-Era golf course outside the Twin Cities metro area? Are there any? (and I consider White Bear Lake to be part of the metro area... ;))

Not that I am aware of.  One less known course I travel to play once a year is New Richmond Country Club, which is reputed to be a stop where many tour players used to spend time on their way to the St. Paul Open.
  http://www.nrgolfclub.com/course_information_wisconsin_golf_course_new_richmond.htm  

The original 18 is worth a visit, although some renovated holes are completely out of character from the rest of the course.  Nonetheless, it is a special place and a terrific test.  

Any below-the-radar courses in Minnesota that never get discussed, but worth seeking out? Could be 9 or 18 holes.

A few recommendations:

Keller Golf Course - St. Paul - great history from the St. Paul Open and prohibition and a surprisingly good course

Minnesota Valley Country Club - the second best of the three Raynor courses in town (behind Somerset).  I really enjoy playing the template holes.  The current superintendant keeps the course in terrific condition.  I once told a friend that I really enjoyed the course and he said, "Of course you do.  All the holes dogleg left."  (guess which way I turn the ball)

Golden Valley Country Club - The only Tillinghast course I have played.  I cannot imagine many of them are much better.  

Willingers - A suprisingly fun walkable, playable modern course on a tough piece of land.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2009, 10:42:22 PM »
Sutton Bay I think is the origin of the acronym SICFAO!!!  That was the coldest day ever.  I've played in colder temps, but never been more pounded by the cold howling weather of wind and sleet on a golf course.  Yet, Jason's friend Chad I believe shot somewhere middle of the 70s, while between holes SICFAO.  Of course it was a 36 holer kind of day!!!  As they say, dinner tasted good that night.  ;D

I thought Oak Ridge was definitely one of those off the radar, very good courses not spoken of much.  

Maybe next trip Jason, what do you think of Maniaci's in St. Paul?  Is it as good as they say?  8)

Oh man, you can't believe all the hype over here about that certain rematch Sunday at about 3:30...  ::)  Have you looked into any tee times around Feb 7th weekend in the north Maimi area?   ;) ;D 8)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 10:53:50 PM by RJ_Daley »
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Jason Topp

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2009, 11:00:04 PM »
Is Edinburgh as bad a design as I remember from 20 years ago?

Short answer - probably.

Longer answer - Edinburgh is an interesting one.  I enjoy it once or twice a year.

It features very severe greens that I do not like.  I am not sure why I would consider those greens to be bad but Coore/Crenshaw/Doak greens to be good.  I could be more influenced by reputation than I would like to admit.

It plays around a ton of water, particularly on the front side.  The essential challenge at Edinburgh (like many Florida courses) is to have sufficient control over the golf ball so you know you will not miss one one side.  If you cannot do that, you can shoot a million.  I find such a challenge to be a bit like going to the dentist - I usually do not like what it reveals about my game.  Nonetheless, if you learn to handle that type of course when nervous, you can become a much better player.

Was it as much fuin with your kids in Scotland as those photos made it look?
Yes.  The kids got excited about the game after I took them to the shortest of the three courses at Gullane and played 10 holes on a beautiful evening.  We played Brora which was the first time either of them had played 18 holes.  On our last full day in Scotland we visited St. Andrews.  I thought we would visit the town and see spots where people got burned at the stake and other gory things took place.  Instead the kids insisted on playing the short course.

I played nine with them and went inside.  They went around a couple more times while my wife and I drank coffee.

Unfortunately, it looks like they have picked up on the pencil and scorecard view of the game:

What did they do while you were at Buda 2008?

They stayed with friends in Musselburgh.  Highlights included a small town fair:

And a visit to Edinburgh:

Anthony Gray

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2009, 11:02:44 PM »

Jason,

Beautiful family....nice to see.

Anthony

Jason Topp

« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2009, 11:11:29 PM »
Hey Jason:

Minikahda, Interlachen, or White Bear Yacht Club - which do you like and why?
I have not played White Bear.  I cannot wait to see it.  

Tough call on the other two.  I probably lean a bit towards Interlachen.

I do not like Minikahda's first hole which is a short par four to a green ringed by bunkers.  Layup/wedge off a tight lie is not my favorite way to start.  I also dislike a couple of fairways where the drive hits into a sidehill and then rolls back (at least mine do).  In addition, the finish is a bit of a letdown.  

I always feel a bit cramped at Interlachen.  Trees impede tee shots and you really need to turn the ball to reach ideal spots off the tee.  I also think there are a lot of greens sitting on top of volcano like hills.  

I think both courses are a bit overrated because of their Ross/US Open history.  I personally like Somerset, Golden Valley, Minneapolis and Oak Ridge more than either of them.  (Obviously I am biased with respect to Oak Ridge).

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back