News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George Pazin

Starting tomorrow, Thurs., 10/14 - Get To Know Martin Bonnar
« on: October 14, 2009, 04:10:52 PM »
Martin is our first overseas poster to join the series. I believe he was in the same university program as Brian Phillips in Edinburgh (please correct me if I'm mistaken).

Martin is always entertaining, no matter the subject, so I'm sure he will be a terrific participant in this series.

Here is Martin's post from the always helpful "Who Are You Guys?" thread:

Firstly, I especially wanted to congratulate the other guys who, like me, have just, this very week, successfully completed the MSc Golf Course Architecture degree here in sunny Edinburgh. Guys, it was a pleasure and a privilege to meet every single one of you. It was incredible how so many guys from so many different cultures and backgrounds could gel so well! Have great lives/careers/relationships…
And I can’t wait for the Inaugural Annual Re-union Hackfest and Piss-up!!!

Secondly, I have decided that now would be a highly opportune moment for me to remove the Fatbaldydrummer suit and to reveal my ‘true identity’ to the Group (although some of you already know it - Sir Richard of Goodale esp.). I think I can now happily call myself a golf course architect, albeit one with the ‘L’ Plates still on the car!!! and looking for that first commission…..

So, here goes:
Name: Martin Bonnar
Home Club: Balbirnie Park
H’cp.: Currently 19, principally due to studying my balls off this year. Probably play to about 13 or 14 normally…
Marital Status: Attached (to Nancy, another mad keen golfer). No kids - together at least.
Interests (outside of GCA): GOLF!!!, Beer, Wine, Malt Whisky, Food, the NFL (go Bears!), driving Nancy’s sports car too fast, Fly Fishing, hiking, vacations…
Top Three Favourite courses (so far in life…): Turnberry, Kingsbarns, Machrahanish (how predictable, eh?)

Gee, it feels kinda good to be ‘out of the closet’….

Cheers
FBD (Martin!)

-----

-----

On deck: Kyle Henderson

Previous participants:

Jeff Brauer

Kyle Harris

Mike Young

Anthony Nysse

Jim Franklin

Phillip Young

Tim Gerrish

Bill McBride

Rich Goodale
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 06:21:55 PM by George Pazin »
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Garland Bayley

Re: Starting tomorrow, Thurs., 10/14 - Get To Know Martin Bonnar
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 04:25:06 PM »
Marty,

CPC. What's the order? {Challenge, Beauty, Fun}
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jim Franklin

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 04:27:23 PM »
What was your strangest caddy experience? Ever meet anyone that just blew you away ;)?

Mr Hurricane

Mike Benham

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 04:41:05 PM »

What was your strangest caddy experience? Ever meet anyone that just blew you away ;)?

Yeah, I want to know the answer to this one too !!!
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Mike Benham

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 04:42:00 PM »

Always good to have a photo ...

"... and I liked the guy ..."

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 04:49:22 PM »
It has been told but it needs repeating. Via emails and IM's, I finally hook up with FatBaldyDrummer at Highlands Reserve in Orlando which has "open spacious fairways likened to the great Scottish courses"! My goodness, these Scots can find them from across the ocean!!

Dumping the family at one of the theme parks, I was running late. Mr FBD paid my green fee so that we would not miss our tee time. He still has not let me pay him back, and I will someday in Fife.

Friend for life after about 3 or 4 holes.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 04:49:48 PM »
If you were limited to only one kind of alcoholic drink for the rest of your life, what would it be, and why?  How about a golf course?  And car?

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2009, 05:00:35 PM »
Hi Martin,

I'm quite new to GCA so I don't know so much about you.

1. Could you give us some background to how you made the decision to take the MSc course in architecture? What was your background?

2. Where did your tee shot end up on the 16th at Cypress Point?

3. Bonnar is a common surname in the Gweedore and Rosses areas of Donegal. Are your relatives from there originally?

Dónal.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2009, 05:56:13 PM »
Great to meet you at last Martin, thanks for doing this.

Q
1  Has Nancy forgiven me for lying with the first words I uttered to her? Please say Hello.

Rating is v. important on GCA so please  re rank these in order of 'GREATNESS' ;D.  
NB for the purposes of this survey the composite Dan is not eligible.

AWB
Billie Holiday
Ivor Cutler
Joni Mitchell
Steely Dan (Katy Lied and earlier)
Steely Dan (Later funk period)
Van Morrison

For a top ten include 3 more of you own choice in the listings.

You've played in the States and overseas (England?) and on here you also encorage visitors to Scotland to try some of the inland courses.  What will we see that can't get at home?

What is the biggest shock that (non GCA) Americans get when they experience golf in Scotland?  What illusions get shattered?

Why do we see less of you these days?
Is it inevitable or a sign that the atmosphere is less welcoming round here of late?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 03:24:28 AM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2009, 06:05:48 PM »
"Friend for life" (Mike Sweeney above) might be the best short summary of one Martin Bonnar. 

I will be thinking of some pithy questions for you overnight.  (No I don't lisp).  ;D

To start off, how much resemblance did your Las Vegas trip have to the recent movie, "The Hangover?"  Details, sordid or not, please.

Cheers,

Uncle Bill

Jay Flemma

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2009, 06:08:29 PM »
Give a short list of your fave places to play that are not major venues in the UK.
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Jason Hines

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2009, 09:54:25 PM »
Marty,
Your home course, Balbirnie Park has a nice interactive course tour, what is your favorite hole on the course and why?
Also, what one course would you recommend to a Yank to play that is a hidden Scottish gem?
What is your favorite beverage at your home course after a round?

Jason

RJ_Daley

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2009, 11:47:07 PM »

aye Martiee, I'd be wurried if I were ewe, if Mister McBride wul taek a whole nigh' ta punder a question for ye.  Ba, do no go'an gief away eny familie secrets naw.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tom Yost

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2009, 12:29:26 AM »
Hello Martin,

Relative newbie here at GCA.   I understand the F and B part of your nickname, but I would like to know more about the D. 

Thanks!
Tom

Sean_A

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2009, 05:33:16 AM »
FBD

Why did you select the drums as your instrument of choice? 

When did you get into da blooz? 

What sort of music does (did?) your band play?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Bill_McBride

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2009, 09:41:54 AM »
Okay, I am rested!

After you earned your degree on golf course architecture, I think you worked for the local authorities (county?) on renovation of their golf courses.  (If that's not correct, please correct me!)   What did you do, how many courses did you work on, how much did your book learning have to do with the actual work?  Were you able to inject your personal philosophy of golf design into that work?  Where has work that led in your career in golf design?

I always thought that experience was pretty cool for you at that stage, and look forward to hearing.........the rest of the story!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 10:58:58 AM by Bill_McBride »

George Pazin

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2009, 10:47:44 AM »
It has been told but it needs repeating. Via emails and IM's, I finally hook up with FatBaldyDrummer at Highlands Reserve in Orlando which has "open spacious fairways likened to the great Scottish courses"! My goodness, these Scots can find them from across the ocean!!

Dumping the family at one of the theme parks, I was running late. Mr FBD paid my green fee so that we would not miss our tee time. He still has not let me pay him back, and I will someday in Fife.

Friend for life after about 3 or 4 holes.

Very cool post, exactly the type I've hoped for in these threads, thanks, Mike.

Hopefully Martin will join us shortly. I did forget to remind him, as I have been trying to do with other past victims. :)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Niall C

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2009, 02:35:20 PM »
Marty, it was great to meet up with you recently for a game. It would be good to get some further chat from you on the MSc course so we can compare notes. In the meantime.....

1 - ever caddied for anyone famous ?

2 - favourite hole on Kingsbarns and why ? actually, scrub that. If you could change any part of the course at Kingsbarns what would it be and why ?

3 - now that you are no longer looking after paths in Fife, any plans to get more into the business ?

4 - you live in Fife, why be a member of an inland course ?

5 - from your travels abroad, the US, Spain, Portugal, England, Glasgow etc, what aspect of golf that you don't see in Fife that you would like to see ?

6 - when playing Cypress Point, why were you dressed ready to play Balbirnie on a wet winters day ?

Niall

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2009, 02:59:14 PM »
So many questions.....
 ;D

Gents, Ill get round to answering as much as possible over the course of this evening. I was leaving the stage as long as possible for Mr Goodale. He is way more worthy of attention here than I!!!

and on with the show...

First few:

Garland,
that's sooo easy!

1. Beauty
2. Fun
3. Challenge

CPC may not be the most challenging course out there but it is almost indescribably beautiful, great fun to play with friends and just challenging enough for the mid-capper to really enjoy. MacK did a great job although I think even I could have built a great course out there!

Jim/Mike.
well there WERE these two american golfers that I met... ;)

Sweeney,
I forgot you OWE me!!! Don't answer your doorbell this evening... ;)

Carl,
probably red wine (in fact, just opening a bottle!). Beer I love like a brother, Malt - Laphroaig! - is my moistress (left that great tyop in!), but red wine is like my mom - comforting, cozy, always there and never judging!!! 8)

FBD.

Next few to follow once the cork is pulled...
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2009, 03:10:47 PM »
Hi Martin,

I'm quite new to GCA so I don't know so much about you.

1. Could you give us some background to how you made the decision to take the MSc course in architecture? What was your background?

2. Where did your tee shot end up on the 16th at Cypress Point?

3. Bonnar is a common surname in the Gweedore and Rosses areas of Donegal. Are your relatives from there originally?

Dónal.

Dónal.
good to have you aboard!
1. The golf connection is obvious - I'm Scottish!, but the MSc decision came as a culmination of years in landscape design and of a growing interest in courses and course design. When I discovered that not only was there an MSc course to study the subject but also that it was only over the Forth Bridge in Edinburgh and that I could maybe be accepted, it was an easy choice to apply! I NEVER believed it would be a fast-track entry into the business but felt it couldn't hurt.
2. Tee shot on 16 landed just left of the left greenside bunker. Caddie gave me a crap read (honest!) and I chipped and two-putted for bogey. Great day though - playing with two great GCA buddies (messrs. Dodd and Benham) and La Nance.
3. Yes, some good Irish blood coursing through these veins. French name origin, I believe (Bonaire) then Ireland (the Huguenots) then Scotland for work for great, great, great (I think) grandad.

cheers,
FBD.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2009, 03:28:54 PM »
Great to meet you at last Martin, thanks for doing this.
the feeling is mutual, big fella. May we be spared for many more...
Q
1  Has Nancy forgiven me for lying with the first words I uttered to her? Please say Hello.
Nancy NEVER forgets. Try to never play golf with her.... ;)

Rating is v. important on GCA so please  re rank these in order of 'GREATNESS' ;D.  
NB for the purposes of this survey the composite Dan is not eligible.

AWB
Billie Holiday
Ivor Cutler
Joni Mitchell
Steely Dan (Katy Lied and earlier)
Steely Dan (Later funk period)
Van Morrison

For a top ten include 3 more of you own choice in the listings.
Too easy!
SD (KL and earlier)
SD (later) the new stuff is uber-cool!
Billie
Joni
IVOR!!! sadly missed...
AWB
Van the Man
ALSO:
PINK FLOYD
THE STRANGLERS
and my current faves - The Killers!!!

You've played in the States and overseas (England?) and on here you also encorage visitors to Scotland to try some of the inland courses.  What will we see that can't get at home?
Mostly incredible good value (CHEAP!) golf on decent, if not life-changing, golf courses, with usually phenomenally-friendly memberships who will treat you like long-lost pals - and maybe even buy you post-round drinks!

What is the biggest shock that (non GCA) Americans get when they experience golf in Scotland?  What illusions get shattered?
Honestly? The lack of Carts! Seriously, I had to explain to someone in nearly every group I ever caddied for that walking IS NORMAL... Illusions not usually shattered - quite the reverse. SO many guys really got it. After a couple of Scottish rounds and a few more 'rounds' in a Scottish bar, MOST guys GET IT!

Why do we see less of you these days?
Is it inevitable or a sign that the atmosphere is less welcoming round here of late?
Truth is, I've been so very, VERY pre-occupied with my job these last couple of years as we've been going through massive organisational changes, that my attention just wasn't here. Given my upcoming redundancy, I may be around more!!! Look Out!

best,
FBD.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2009, 03:46:26 PM »
Give a short list of your fave places to play that are not major venues in the UK.

Jay,
nice one, cos you know I have a bunch of 2nd/3rd tier places that I KNOW most GCAers would LOVE:

Here's just a few.
Fife
St Michaels (the 9 OTM holes anyway!). Kinghorn - a great fun HOOT. Short and possibly even Painswickian in quirk. Always gotta big-up Pitreavie. The only MacK in Fife. A great history lesson for those with eyes to see.

Rest of Scotland
Southerness - so far off the beaten path, but really well worth the effort if in the SW of Scotland. Alyth - I've spoken of before. I LOVE glaciated landscapes used for golf courses and, second only to the majesty of Gleneagles, this is one of Scotland's best.

To my shame, I haven't yet played in Wales (too busy going abroad!) or Ireland (too busy drinking!) and only played the BIG names in England which have been well covered here before - add. although Goswick is a true wee gem.

cheers,
FBD.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2009, 03:57:03 PM »
Marty,
Your home course, Balbirnie Park has a nice interactive course tour, what is your favorite hole on the course and why?
Also, what one course would you recommend to a Yank to play that is a hidden Scottish gem?
What is your favorite beverage at your home course after a round?

Jason

Jason,
BPGC is PLAGUED with many serious faults. So much so that I've been preparing a report (for free!) for a while, which I will eventually present to the committee.
Having said that, my fave hole is the 10th. A nice par-5 which probably has the most undulation and elevation change of any hole on the course. However, the F-L-A-T green - like so many at BPGC - which is blind - like so many at BPGC - from the fairway is just plain duuulllllll. One day they will sit up and listen!
THE Hidden Scottish Gem? Probably mentioned above - Southerness. A cracking good links which once made the Europe Top100 I think. There's loads of others, but I think it needs way more lurve.....
Post-round bevvie at BPGC has to be a cold pint of Tennent's Lager. Utter crap in tins, it really excels on draught on a warm (yes, we DO get them!) Scottish summer's day...

cheers,
FBD.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2009, 03:59:21 PM »
Q: If I fly to Scotland, drive toward Fife and stop somewhere to ring up FBD Manor...where would you and I go to have a friendly game, loser pays for wine at dinner?

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2009, 04:01:53 PM »
Hello Martin,

Relative newbie here at GCA.   I understand the F and B part of your nickname, but I would like to know more about the D. 

Thanks!
Tom

Tom,
welcome to the Jungle.
the D merely represents a fun part of my life. Before your time here many folks had 'nom-de-web's. Mine was FBD until the day I outed myself!
cheers,
FBDDDDDDD!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back