News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George Pazin

Starting Mon, 11/30 - Get To Know Scott Warren
« on: November 27, 2009, 12:53:22 PM »
As I mentioned earlier, Scott is our first poster from Australia featured in this series, though he currently resides in London. And, as mentioned, Scott certainly won't be the last Aussie featured, as I have fond feelings for many of our posters down under. Mostly, I just envy them. :)

You have the whole weekend to think up interesting questions for Scott. In the meantime, I'll post some other info on him.

-----

On Deck: Kelly Blake Moran (!)

5 Most Recent Participants:

Jordan Wall

John Moore

Jason Topp

Brian Phillips

Kyle Henderson

Full list of participants:

Click HERE
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

George Pazin

Re: Starting Mon, 11/30 - Get To Know Scott Warren New
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 12:58:00 PM »
From Scott's Who Are You Guys post:

Scott Warren

Home: London, UK
Born: just outside Sydney, Australia in a place called the Blue Mountains

I'm not a member of a club in the UK (only moved here three months ago), and am thinking I won't join anywhere here during my two year stay, which should encourage me to play as many new courses as possible. I'm a member at Bardwell Valley GC in Sydney, a thoroughly uninspiring par 62 that I joined prior to departure for its $145 annual country membership so I can retain a handicap for the clubs over here in the UK that require you to have one to play. Prior to that I was a member of Penrith Golf Club in western Sydney.

Handicap: Aussie: 9, USGA index (my stats program calculates it): 7.8

First GC Ever Played:  My grandfather's nine-holer that he build on his riverside property after retiring as a landscaper. First "proper" course was Windsor Country Golf Club.

Favorite Golf Architecture Book: Golf Architecture - a worldwide perspective. But to be fair it's the first and so far only GCA book I've read ;D Most of my elementary GCA knowledge has come from reading this site and playing golf with Andrew Summerell, who introduced me to this site.

Favorite Courses Played:
New South Wales
St Michael's
Newcastle
Belmont
Avondale
Wollongong
Penrith
Henbury (in the middle of the bush three hours west of Sydney, maintained by volunteers, no bunkers, condition average, but a layout to die for)

Courses I Would Like To Play:
TOC
North Berwick
Royal County Down
Royal Cinque Ports
West Sussex
Royal St George’s
Burnham and Berrow
Saunton E & W
St Enodoc
Doonbeg
Barnbougle Dunes
all of the Melbourne sandbelt
Pasatiempo
Cypress Point
Pebble Beach
Valhalla
TPC Sawgrass
Whistling Straits

Most Memorable Golf Experience:
A split between a) coming back from six down after 10 to win a junior pennant game 1-up against an older kid who sledged me from the first tee and b) watching my 27-marker dad birdie the 5th at NSW.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 09:49:07 AM by George Pazin »
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

George Pazin

Re: Starting Mon, 11/30 - Get To Know Scott Warren
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 01:12:31 PM »
Here is a link to Scott's report after a year in the UK:

A Year In The Life

In many ways, that thread was a better GTK thread than many others, but I thought it would be fun to delve a little further into Scott's background, and compare his year to his intro bio post.

Scott Warren

Re: Starting Mon, 11/30 - Get To Know Scott Warren New
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 04:19:13 PM »
Much of this, as it turns out, is no longer accurate. I'll try to explain...

From Scott's Who Are You Guys post:

Scott Warren

Home: London, UK
Born: just outside Sydney, Australia in a place called the Blue Mountains

I'm not a member of a club in the UK (only moved here three months ago), and am thinking I won't join anywhere here during my two year stay, which should encourage me to play as many new courses as possible. I'm a member at Bardwell Valley GC in Sydney, a thoroughly uninspiring par 62 that I joined prior to departure for its $145 annual country membership so I can retain a handicap for the clubs over here in the UK that require you to have one to play. Prior to that I was a member of Penrith Golf Club in western Sydney.

I wrote that fully believing it would remain true, but three weeks later Mark Chaplin made it possible for me to join Royal Cinque Ports and it has been one of the best decisions I ever made.

In just a year that course and club have given me so many memories - starting with an 8am pre-match breakfast with two playing partners that saw them chugging brandys and vodkas (and let me clarify one was 60+ and the other was in his late 40s), before we sat at the halfway hut for 30mins and told a few groups to go through while we drank half a bottle of wine each.

Then, as we stood to leave, a well-regarded member and his perfectly-dressed and made-up wife arrived (he was injured and couldn't play) at the halfway hut, grabbed a stiff drink and walked 10, 11 and 12 with us. It was just so other-worldly and memorable.

Handicap: Aussie: 9, USGA index (my stats program calculates it): 7.8

Down to 7.0. Playing lots of card & pencil golf ;)

First GC Ever Played:  My grandfather's nine-holer that he build on his riverside property after retiring as a landscaper. First "proper" course was Windsor Country Golf Club.

On account of my not discovering the secret to time travel anytime this year, these are still the first courses I played.

Favorite Golf Architecture Book: Golf Architecture - a worldwide perspective. But to be fair it's the first and so far only GCA book I've read ;D Most of my elementary GCA knowledge has come from reading this site and playing golf with Andrew Summerell, who introduced me to this site.

I've actually discovered this year that many of the golf books I have been reading since I was younger, The Making Of The Masters, for example, are much more "golf architecture books" than I previously realised. I also read The Match about a week after my introduction post, which was a great way to discoverd more about CPC, as well as Harvie Ward, who I'd never heard of before and seems like an amazing guy.

Favorite Courses Played:
New South Wales
St Michael's
Newcastle
Belmont
Avondale
Wollongong
Penrith
Henbury (in the middle of the bush three hours west of Sydney, maintained by volunteers, no bunkers, condition average, but a layout to die for)

Only one of those courses remains in my top 10 after the year I've had. NSWGC, which I will defend to the hilt!

Courses I Would Like To Play:
TOC
North Berwick
Royal County Down
Royal Cinque Ports
West Sussex
Royal St George's
Burnham and Berrow
Saunton E & W
St Enodoc
Doonbeg
Barnbougle Dunes
all of the Melbourne sandbelt
Pasatiempo
Cypress Point
Pebble Beach
Valhalla
TPC Sawgrass
Whistling Straits

I managed six of those this year (along with 21 others), and came within a bee's dick of getting to B&B and Saunton a few times, but still haven't got down there.

I don't really know what Whistling straits and Doonbeg are doing on there...

Most Memorable Golf Experience:
A split between a) coming back from six down after 10 to win a junior pennant game 1-up against an older kid who sledged me from the first tee and b) watching my 27-marker dad birdie the 5th at NSW.[/i]

Of all the amazing things I have seen and experienced this year - a round at TOC, a sunny summer afternoon at North Berwick, a round of 75 at RCP w/ my father-in-law to be, these two still take the cake. I will never forget either.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 08:45:02 AM by Scott Warren »

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 12:23:36 AM »
Of all the amazing things I have seen and experienced this year - a round at TOC, a sunny summer afternoon at North Berwick, a round of 75 at RCP w/ my father-in-law to be, these two still take the cake. I will never forget either.

...you subtly slipped in the most important 'play' of the past year.   Congratulations Scott, Las Vegas wedding perhaps? ;D
Let's make GCA grate again!

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 06:38:47 AM »
My first question to Scott would be:

Why would anyone who, locks their employees out of their office for the entire morning just to play golf, be featured on a 'Get to know you thread'?

How could you stoop to take $50 off a struggling musician in a golf bet?

How truly God-like is the guy who introduced him to this site?

Believe me George, these questions need to be asked to find out about the real Scott Warren.

Now for the real question:

How has his architectural perspective changed since living in the U.K.?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 06:40:58 AM by Andrew Summerell »

Jason Hines

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2009, 12:06:25 AM »
Scott,
Forgive me for my standard question but it works.  Looking at the website for Bardwell Valley, what is/was your favorite hole and why?  Your least favorite and what would you do architecturally to change it?
How has Bardwell Valley survived or prospered with the recent drought issues in Australia if applicable?
The most important question:  Your favorite beverage after a round at your home club?  Not your favorite beverage overall, but at Bardwell Valley?
Jason Hines
Olathe, KS,  USA
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 12:08:02 AM by Jason Hines »

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2009, 06:21:17 AM »
Scott

How are you planning to cope golfing wise with the "real winter" period that's about to start in the UK ?

Brian Phillips

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2009, 08:05:21 AM »
Do you really, really believe NSW still belongs in the Top 40 of the World.  No ramblings....just a simple yes or no will suffice    ;)
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Scott Warren

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2009, 11:29:05 AM »
I figure it's Monday in Australia by now, so may as well get stuck in...

My first question to Scott would be:

Why would anyone who, locks their employees out of their office for the entire morning just to play golf, be featured on a 'Get to know you thread'?

They don't! That was remarkably bad timing! How was I to know that only me and the sales manager had keys? How was I to know that on the very day I had "an appointment with my optomitrist", said sales manager was away? The guys at work didn't really care, they got to sit in the park on a lovely October day and still get paid, and at the end of the week, we still got the paper out looking as good as ever. The moral of the story? That bunking off work to play golf with a man you met on the internet is just as productive as you and your journos actually sitting at your desks all day!

How could you stoop to take $50 off a struggling musician in a golf bet?

Stoop? I've lived my whole life that low. As such, taking money from anyone for any reason is something I've never found I have much of an internal issue with.

How truly God-like is the guy who introduced him to this site?

Very, but that's coming from a guy who grew up worshipping Steve Waugh, so take it with a grain of salt. Though I realise that is a much smaller few degrees of separation than it might appear.

How has his architectural perspective changed since living in the U.K.?

I guess the greatest change is the amount of perspective I now have. Still not as wide or deep as many others, but if you want to find two cities where oppotunities for a golf architecture enthusiast are in the greatest contrast, you can't do much better than Sydney and London.

One thing I have realised through my own experience is that for most golfers, myself included, I don't think the greater enjoyment that width and options bring to the game can be explained, it has to be experienced.

There is nothing better than seeing that you got tricked - realising there was another way to solve the riddle, or having 15 yards of short grass and some naturally undulating land between you and the hole and four or five different ways to get the ball close, using different amounts of carry, or running the ball off different landforms.

Try as you might to explain that to many who think US Open-style golf is utopia, I think you will fail 99% of the time. But let them play a course like I describe above - a Deal, TOC or Royal Zoute - and I don't think many people would fail to see the appeal.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 12:29:32 PM by Scott Warren »

Scott Warren

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2009, 12:21:55 PM »
Scott,
Forgive me for my standard question but it works.  Looking at the website for Bardwell Valley, what is/was your favorite hole and why?

I did actually only join BVGC for its cheap country membership and only played it probably 7-8 times before I moved to the UK, but still it interested me, for what it is, it works remarkably well. It wasn't for me long-term, but I can see why its pretty large membership - lots of retirees and newcomers to the game - really enjoy it.

I really liked the 5th hole. It is a par four of probably only 250m, but the small green is set from 10 to 4 on a clockface with a bunker at about 7 o'clock and the surface sloping away from the tee. The land right of the green does help to guide a well-struck draw (for a right-hander) close to the putting surface, but if you have a crack at it and end up short or short and left with the bunker between you and the hole, it becomes a really bloody tough par.

But if you play a 4i out to the right of the fairway, you have 60m straight down the green and there isn't too much to worry about.

For the less able golfers (and as I said, the club has a lot, probably 90% of the membership), they have a drive down the right, which is flanked by a creek, and a wedge in - trying to avoid the bunker, which is a nice challenge for them as well, albeit a completely different hole when viewed through their eyes.

Here is a course that isn't even in the best 50 courses in Sydney (and that's saying a lot!), but that hole would not embarrass itself on nearly any layout. It reminds me that good golf is out there everywhere, not just on the courses that get discussed here.

Your least favorite and what would you do architecturally to change it?

The 17th is another reachable par four. It doglegs right down a steep hill - a pretty sharp dogleg about 150m from the tee and 120m out from the green. As the crow flies it's probably only 220m or so tee to green.

The green is kinda cool in that a running shot can make its way on, but there is a bunker on the right and steep fall-offs left and behind the green, so even if you drive it to the green, anything too strong will end up in a tough spot.

So far, so good, but for reasons best known to itself, the club has the tee in hard against a line of tall trees to its right that mean to drive the green you have to be able to hit a 250m snap cut - and that's not a shot I have seen in too many people's bags! As a result it's a no-brainer to hit a 5i/6i to the corner and a wedge in.

If they move the tee 10-15m left, the hole still asks you to pull off a reasonably difficult shot if you hope to drive the green, but it's realistic enough that heaps of people would have a go and all those interesting greenside features would come into play a lot more.

How has Bardwell Valley survived or prospered with the recent drought issues in Australia if applicable?

I wasn't with the club long enough to have a good answer to that, sorry.

The most important question:  Your favorite beverage after a round at your home club?  Not your favorite beverage overall, but at Bardwell Valley?
Jason Hines
Olathe, KS,  USA

A schooner of Tooheys New. Out of the bottle it is rubbish, but on a hot day, there is nothing better than a schooner. A 50/50 of Old and New is pretty good, too.

Scott Warren

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2009, 12:40:32 PM »
Scott

How are you planning to cope golfing wise with the "real winter" period that's about to start in the UK ?

Plenty of reading (golf and non-golf) and reviewing some of the courses I played over the summer. I tackled some of them in such quick succession that I don't think I gave myself enough time to let them marinate in my head.

I still reckon I'll get down to Deal a fair bit, and I'm hoping to visit Lisbon early in the new year to check out Praia d'el Ray, Oitavos Dunes and Troia.

I went to Cardiff this weekend to watch the Wallabies play and was going to play at Celtic Manor because our hotel in Newport was only about 2mins away, but it was so horrific that I didn't bother. It has been a really rank three or four weeks here weather-wise, but I am hoping against hope that it's not an indication of what's to come (last winter was freezing cold, but pretty dry). I can handle cold and windy, but I hate playing golf in the rain.

Scott Warren

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2009, 12:48:56 PM »
Do you really, really believe NSW still belongs in the Top 40 of the World.  No ramblings....just a simple yes or no will suffice    ;)

I haven't played enough courses of that stature to say either way.

James Boon

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2009, 12:55:40 PM »
Scott,

Okay, I'll try and go easy on you...

1. Firstly, as Tony Muldoon points out, it seems congratulations are in order? Is there a story worth telling? How big a factor was her acceptance of your constant golfing that made you pop the question, as it certainly helped in my case?  ;)
2. I seem to recall you mentioning that you saw a picture of Burnham and Berrow in a magazine article and this was one of the things that inspired you to come to the UK to play golf? If I'm not imagining things, then please tell this again, along with giving other reasons for why you decided to come over here for a couple of years?
3. What is the Australian system like for golf courses and visitors, especially with regards to your top courses like Royal Melbourne, NSW, etc? Is it like here where you can pretty much play anywhere, or is it more like the American system where you need to be a guest of a member?
4. Are you joining us for Buda 2010? And I'll avoid making any Australian / Welsh / Sheep jokes...
5. As a member at RCP, what are your favourite 3 holes?
6. On a similar theme, if you were Gordon Irvine, what hole would you like to change at RCP and why?
7. Ricky Ponting or Kevin Pietersen?
8. Aussie Rules or Soccer?
9. Revetted Pot Bunker or Rough Edged Blowout?
10. Newspaper Journalist or Golf Course Architect?

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Scott Warren

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2009, 02:22:05 PM »
Scott,

Okay, I'll try and go easy on you...

1. Firstly, as Tony Muldoon points out, it seems congratulations are in order? Is there a story worth telling? How big a factor was her acceptance of your constant golfing that made you pop the question, as it certainly helped in my case?  ;)

Yes indeed, I got engaged last Wednesday night! The story is not that exciting, the question was popped at home after we'd just polished off some Indian takeaway (anyone in south London, try Holy Cow - great food! Tandoori Mixed Grill and Mirg Marsala, you can't go wrong). It might seem strange, but those who know me/us will realise it's the perfect place.

In my fiancee Kerry's case, it is much more than a mere "acceptance" of the golf. When we were planning to spend Easter in Bruges this year, it was her who asked if there were any good golf courses nearby for me to play and she was also the one that ensured I played TOC.

Some plans an R&A member aquaintance had made for me fell through the afternoon before I was to play TOC, and I headed back to Edinburgh from North Berwick to join Kerry and her folks in a pretty despondent mood. I knew lining up as a single could be a time-consuming thing, and with only four days "oop norf", I didn't want to force us to waste a whole day in St Andrews. So I basically said "forget TOC, I don't want to waste everyone's day". Anyway, she gave me a pretty stirring pep talk, told me to leave her folks to her and said we had to go and try our luck at TOC. So we got up the next morning and drive to Fife and lo and behold, I was on the tee 30 mins after we parked the car.

She was there with a smile bigger than mine, snapping pics as I teed off and cheered like it was a putt to win the Open when I holed a 10ft putt on 18.

It was one of the best days of golf I've ever had, and were it not for her it would never have happened.

She really is the most amazing, generous and understanding person I have ever met and treats the things that are important to me as though they are equally important to her. In short, I have been absolutely blessed!

2. I seem to recall you mentioning that you saw a picture of Burnham and Berrow in a magazine article and this was one of the things that inspired you to come to the UK to play golf? If I'm not imagining things, then please tell this again, along with giving other reasons for why you decided to come over here for a couple of years?

Kerry and I travelled through Europe for eight weeks in 2006 and loved every minute. We decided on the long flight home that we really wanted to live in the UK one day, so we could sample even more of the UK and Europe.

We started planning another trip in early 2007, and after a few weeks we realised we just couldn't fit all the things we wanted to see into an eight-week itinerary, so we just though "Bugger it. We want to live there one day, why not now while we are young and have no mortage or kids to stop us?"

That day I went to the paper shop to buy a UK golf magazine. I forget if it was Golf World or Golf International, but it had a series at that point with Ronan Rafferty talking about the "hidden gem" links of GB&I. That month's course was Burnham & Berrow (I still have the magazine article in a folder at home) and I just got so pumped sitting there in our flat in Penrith looking at this double-page-spread picture of this wild, foreign golf course, so B&B became a poster child for this great adventure I was going on.

3. What is the Australian system like for golf courses and visitors, especially with regards to your top courses like Royal Melbourne, NSW, etc? Is it like here where you can pretty much play anywhere, or is it more like the American system where you need to be a guest of a member?

For international and interstate visitors, the only courses I know of that are inaccessible in the UK style are Ellerstone (private estate of the country's wealthiest family, the Packers) and Capital in Melbourne. But if you live in Melbourne, it's my understanding that accessing some of the top clubs down there is more akin to the US system. Not being from Victoria, I am far from an expert on this, so any of the other Aussie posters can feel free to jump in and elaborate on this.

NSWGC is available a couple of days a week to golfers who are a member of another club, and for AU$170 or so is pretty good value. My dad and I share the same birth date, so each year for our birthday we shout each other a game of golf at NSW! I'm hoping to join when I get home so I can do all the shouting from then on.

4. Are you joining us for Buda 2010? And I'll avoid making any Australian / Welsh / Sheep jokes...

I really want to, but some things are up in the air re: our departure date from the UK. I'm 90% sure I will be there. Save the sheep jokes, that is New Zealanders!

I just went to Wales for the first time this weekend, and have to say - at the risk of causing offence - I have never seen a greater concentration of ugly women in all my life than I did in Cardiff. If the men are up in the paddocks rogering sheep, I can't say I would blame them! ;D

5. As a member at RCP, what are your favourite 3 holes?

In no order:

The 3rd - built on amazing land, with one of the coolest greens I have ever seen, options aplenty on every shot and without an easy two-putt from greater than 20ft.

The 6th - Again, lots of options on every shot - attack the green or choose a lay-up spot, great natural undulations and a unique green. Just like the 3rd, you look at the length on the card, look at the par and decide it must be a good birdie chance, then play the hole and realise par is a really, really good score.

The 16th - Another hole that is "too short" for its par in many people's eyes, but whether the wind has it playing as a two-shotter or a three-shotter, the approach is one of the most fun shots in golf, with so many ways to get the ball where you want it - using sky, land or both - and the intreguing green complex is endlessly enjoyable/frustrating.

Those three holes are a combined 1240 yards, with a par of 14, and if you can find me a golfer capable of playing them under his handicap more often than not I would be shocked. They are all just so unique and perfect for the land they are on.

6. On a similar theme, if you were Gordon Irvine, what hole would you like to change at RCP and why?

Gordon is the consultant greenkeeper. I wouldn't claim to know enough abou the dark arts to suggest anything to him! But to our consultant architect Martin Ebert, I guess I would have a few suggestions!

1. The 9th needs attention. As it stands, you can take the risk of driving over a cavernous fairway bunker and then have a second over two more traps, or drive safely to the right without risk and have the A1 approach in. The risk and thrill of the drive is too good to lose, so I'd be looking at re-bunkering the green to encourage more people to take it on.

2. The 10th is a great short par 4 where you are tempted to take the short line down the left, which brings in the angled green with a steep drop, rather than the longer, tougher route down the heavily-bunkered right that gives you a choice angle in, but by removing the LHS fairway trap, more people would be suckered into going down the left to be faced with one of the toughest 100m shots in golf.

3. The 13th would be improved, IMO, through the removal of the RHS one of the three cross bunkers, so the golfer who is really ballsy and flirts with the ugly RHS rough is given more of a reward.

7. Ricky Ponting or Kevin Pietersen?

I think both of them are awesome to watch and I love the killer instinct they both have, along with a complete disregard for what the opposition thinks of them. If I had to choose, I'd say Punter, though KP's Oval innings in 2005 was pretty amazing for the series situation and the fact he was so raw and had had his selection criticised. It was all there for him to fail, but he shone.

8. Aussie Rules or Soccer?

Aussie rules. The diving in soccer is ridiculous and causes me to not care about the result or respect the athletes. Was there a more farcical moment in sport in the last decade than Zidane headbutting Materazzi in the 06 world cup final?

9. Revetted Pot Bunker or Rough Edged Blowout?

To quote the great Thom Yorke: "Everything, everything, everything, in its right place..."

10. Newspaper Journalist or Golf Course Architect?

Journalist. From the thrill of chasing a story and nailing it to the satisfaction of looking at a paper/edition you've edited and seeing how well all the different elements have come together, it's endlessly rewarding.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2009, 02:22:41 PM »

Scott,

How many times have you been to the States?

What is "Waltzing Matilda" about?

Are you married?

I spent all wekend watching Doria's christmass, Syper gets off the bad list. What are your holiday plans?

WHERE ARE YOU IN 10 YEARS?

aNTHONY

Joe Hancock

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2009, 02:26:50 PM »

Are you married?

aNTHONY

Humo(u)r him, Scott... :)
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Anthony Gray

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2009, 02:41:22 PM »

Scott,

Have you finalized your US plans?

What surprised you the most about The BUDDA/

Have you played TOC?

Have you ever eaten possum?

I went to the beach with two girls one time in a two seater sports car. One was from Australia. Javilin thrower and high hurdler in college. Blonde and and tall drink of water. Perfect. She would put australian pennies in vending machines. The machines thought they were US dimes. She was hot,so is that OK?

Anthony

Scott Warren

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2009, 02:43:00 PM »

Scott,

How many times have you been to the States?

Never, but will be rectifying that next October on the way home from the UK.

What is "Waltzing Matilda" about?

It's about a bloke who is camping in the Aussie bush, and he sees a sheep nearby, so he kills it to eat for his dinner. The sheep's owner rocks up with the police to arrest him and instead of letting them cuff him, he commits suicide by jumping in a billabong (lake), then haunts the area.

Pretty uplifting, huh?

Are you married?

I got engaged last Wednesday. See above for the extended story.

I spent all wekend watching Doria's christmass, Syper gets off the bad list. What are your holiday plans?

With no family here and with most Brit friends heading home away from London for Christmas, it will be very low-key. We want to do a roast gammon for lunch and some potatoes roasted in goose fat, because we tried them last year and really liked them.

We are going to Copenhagen for a weekend in a fortnight to see the Christmas markets they have in the Tivoli Gardens, which are supposed to be awesome (though our trip coincides with the UN climate change summit, so the place will be overrun by politicians and protestors!), and on Christmas Eve we'll go to this Christmas winter wonderland they have here in Hyde Park which has ice skating, rides and lots of German beer and sausage. We went last year and it was great.

Late on Christmas Eve we'll fire up the webcam so I can watch my little nephews open their Christmas presents back home in Aus.

As much as I miss my family, I still prefer a cold Christmas over here to a sweltering summer day at home. It's somehow just more magical. The Brits, it must be said, do Christmas really well, from the Christmas music on the radio to the streets festooned with decorations and lights and store window displays at the department stores. I love it!

WHERE ARE YOU IN 10 YEARS?

The last decade of my life has been so unpredictable, I couldn't begin to guess. I would imagine married and with at least one kid. Hopefully happy and healthy, but living where and doing what? Your guess is as good as mine!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 02:45:17 PM by Scott Warren »

Anthony Gray

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2009, 02:55:38 PM »

Scott,

My father did some mining consulting in Australia. While he was there two surfers died from sharks. Do you like a short par three?

Have you met Greg Norman/

Adam Scott's future?

Do you surf?

Top 3 hottest australian chicks?

Thanks for playing and being a big part of GCA.

Anthony

Scott Warren

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2009, 06:00:14 AM »
My father did some mining consulting in Australia. While he was there two surfers died from sharks. Do you like a short par three?

Love 'em. The best three I have played are 17 at Wollongong back home in Aus, 3 at Royal Zoute in Belgium and 5 at West Sussex (I class a short par three as an 8i or less for me).

Have you met Greg Norman?

I have. My grandad took me to a professional tournament at Castle Hill in Sydney when I was three and Norman saw us as he walked off the 9th green, commented to my grandad that I looked like his young boy Gregory and then carried me to the 10th tee. Sadly, the only golfing quality of Greg's that I absorbed during that brief meeting was an ability to wilt like a warm lettuce leaf when I get a good score going.

Adam Scott's future?

Has Ana Ivanovic in it. If he complains about not winning more golf tournaments I will bitch slap him on behalf of all red-blooded men.

Do you surf?

By the look of your clubhead position in that pic from the 3rd at Castle Stuart, I surf about as well as you play golf.

Top 3 hottest australian chicks?

My fiancee, Anna Rawson and Miranda Kerr.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2009, 08:58:39 AM »

Scott,

Apparently Australia has several poisonous snakes, Have you seen any on the colfcourse?

What's up with vegimite? What is in it?

You missed a set of my questions......ADD?

I divorced my third wife when she violated our prenup by turning 30. Are prenups popular in Australia?

Have you played Cruden Bay?

Thanks for playing along Scott and for your contributions to CGA.

Anthony

James Boon

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2009, 09:04:18 AM »

Do you surf?

By the look of your clubhead position in that pic from the 3rd at Castle Stuart, I surf about as well as you play golf.

Scott, with apologies to Anthony, thats a contender for best reply I've read in one of these Get to Know threads...  ;D
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

James Boon

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2009, 09:19:58 AM »
Scott,

Thanks for the answers.

So it is CONGRATULATIONS then! I didn't but I see no problem with proposing over a curry  ;D And you are right, its not just an acceptance that you need, but the understanding and encouragement that go with it. It was actually my wife Carole that encoraged me to join Burnham & Berrow (though she wasn't too keen on me rejoining when her folks moved away from Burnham  ::) ) and my 30th birthday present from her was a round at St Enodoc (not that you would see that as much of a gift  ;D )

I'm no expert on RCP but I did caddy for my brother back in the final qualifying for the 2003 Open so I did get an interesting insite. Funny thing is I would have said that the 3rd, 6th and 16th were probably my 3 favourites. Your suggestions sound interesting. My only one would be to fill in that damn bunker on the 7th thats about 300 yards from the tee, as after a storming start my brother knocked his drive in there and to this day says his caddy should have made him hit a 3 wood  ;D

Was teasing you with the sheep thing, but hope you can make Buda,
Always good to see an Aussie appreciate a South African English cricketer,
I agree that professional footballers are pretty much all a bunch of spoilt kids but I've watched it all my life so its hard to ignore it,
A great and appropriate Radiohead quote!
and finally its always good to see someone who loves their job!

We will get you to the "Poster Child" one day!!!

Cheers,

James

Mark Pearce

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2009, 09:43:43 AM »
Scott,

You play a lot of golf with Chappers.  How does he get away with a 12 handicap?
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back