News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George Pazin

Starting Mon., 11/23 - Get To Know Jordan Wall!
« on: November 20, 2009, 04:12:38 PM »
At one time - and still - one of the younger posters on board, Jordan may be the first semi-controversial figure we've featured. This is mostly due to the envy of many of us old folks, and the fact that the truly controversial nutcases like me and Matt haven't gone yet... :)

Jordan has informed me he is off of school next week, so I thought it would be a good time to get to know him better. Thanks for agreeing to go in the hotseat, Jordan.

On a more serious note, Jordan recently shared his experiences for the year in another thread:

My Year by Jordan Wall

I'll dig up some more info; in the meantime, start thinking up questions for this young star.

-----

On Deck: Scott Warren (first Aussie featured! Won't be the last!! :))

5 Most recent threads:

John Moore

Jason Topp

Brian Phillips

Kyle Henderson

Martin Bonnar

Full list of participants:

Full list of GTK participants
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 04:19:59 PM by George Pazin »
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Anthony Gray

Re: Starting Mon., 11/23 - Get To Know Jordan Wall!
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 04:27:31 PM »

Oh my God.....I won't be able to sleep tonight.

I'll be busy this weekend.

ARG

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 10:12:05 PM »
Is he still dating Paula Creamer?

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 11:22:12 PM »
Is he still dating Paula Creamer?

I heard they are engaged!!!!!!!!!!
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009, 01:12:39 PM »

Jordan,

1)  How many pairs of shoes are in your closet?

2)  What happened to you and Mayhugh in the KP foursomes at Sherwood? What was all the shouting about?

3)  Are you on the Washington State golf team and if not, why not?

4)  What courses are you scoping out for 2010 in addition to coming north of the border?

5)  How many pink shirts and white belts do you own?

6)  What do you think of the changes that have been made a Pebble, in particular the fairway bunkers on 6? I recall you trashing the look of those bunkers at one time.

Regards and Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

Bob J

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2009, 01:17:45 PM »
Jordan,

Now that it's been a few months, which course that you saw this summer has your opinion of changed the most? Why?

George Pazin

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2009, 01:26:48 PM »
Thanks for participating, Jordan.

Standard questions apply:

What drew you to golf?

Architecture?

This site?

I hope you'll share some of your experiences about Tumble Creek with Tom D for the many posters who weren't around for that.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

John Mayhugh

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2009, 01:29:55 PM »
I'll join the grilling:

1. How did you first get involved on GCA?

2. What are the most important things you have learned on GCA that aren't architecture-related?

3. What is the best part about caddying?

4. From your caddying experience, how much does bad decision making or not knowing one's limitations affect their scoring?

5. You could play any course in the world (current version, past version, or NLE) with any architect you choose (living or dead).  Which course?  Which architect?  Why?

6. Favorite golf hole you have played & why?

7. Can you think of a worse foursomes pairing than the one you had at Sherwood?   :D

Bill_McBride

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2009, 02:54:55 PM »
Jordan, could you have made that downhill birdie putt on the 18th green at Pasatiempo if I hadn't missed on the same line a minute before?

How are things in Pullman?

Will the football team be better next year?

Have you played Wine Valley yet?

If so, please share your impressions.

What course you played for the first time last year did you enjoy the most?

Why?

Happy Thanksgiving!
Did Bob J tell you the lawyer joke I told him in Rye?  (I hope not!)

Carl Nichols

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2009, 03:03:45 PM »
Jordan:
Why are you considered a semi-controversial figure?

Anthony Gray

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2009, 03:42:57 PM »

Jordan,

Famous people you have caddied for?

Tyson or Ali?

Have you dated a cougar?

Where to you want to be when you are 30?

Thanks.............Anthony

Jed Peters

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2009, 11:52:01 PM »
Jordan:

Seeing as you're an internet posting nerd, have you gotten much trim in your first year at college?

Jed

Garland Bayley

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2009, 12:37:00 AM »
Jordan,

How often does November 23 fall on Thanksgiving?

Which is best questions:

Moscow or Pullman fairer sex?

Tumble Creek or Palouse Ridge?

Tom Doak or Alister MacKenzie?

Chambers Bay or Rustic Canyon?

Bob Jenkins or John Mayhugh?  ;D
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jordan Wall

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2009, 05:06:45 AM »

Jordan,

1)  How many pairs of shoes are in your closet?
42, only 9 with 4 pairs of slippers at school though.

2)  What happened to you and Mayhugh in the KP foursomes at Sherwood? What was all the shouting about?
Mayhugh and I are better friends than fourball partners.

3)  Are you on the Washington State golf team and if not, why not?
No, because I wanted to see what college was about instead.  I regret not pursuing golf, now I'm no good.

4)  What courses are you scoping out for 2010 in addition to coming north of the border?
Some in Mexico, want to do a Kentucky trip, getting the passport winter break so that means we'll be able to plan a weekend!  I think I might try and get back down to California and do KP again.  We'll see what the funds look like and if my summer internship ends up falling through.

5)  How many pink shirts and white belts do you own?
No more pink shirts, two white belts.

6)  What do you think of the changes that have been made a Pebble, in particular the fairway bunkers on 6? I recall you trashing the look of those bunkers at one time.
Those bunkers change every time I make it to Monterey.  I don't get whats so hard about making them like the bunkers on all the other holes.  Shoot, find some older photos of what they originally looked like and make them look like that.  There is no need for all those silly bushes in the middle of that bunker.

Regards and Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

Bob J

Matt,

My opinions haven't really changed that much, surprisingly.  I think if anything I liked Harding Park more than I thought I would.  It's not great, but it seemed to be a pretty solid golf course.  And, I really like the eighteenth hole.

Jordan Wall

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2009, 05:18:01 AM »
Thanks for participating, Jordan.

Standard questions apply:

What drew you to golf?
I played baseball for 11 years, and was very, very good.  Played on a team that traveled nationally, but after a while I got tired of all the criticism when we would play our best and not be absolutely perfect.  My life was nothing but baseball, and I wanted a change.  Enter, golf.

Architecture?
I took home a copy of Gold Digest and began looking up every top-100 course in the world.  Eventually it led me here, where I began to gain an understanding of gca.  To this day, it was this website that sparked my interest in golf course design and my views of golf are all the better for it.

This site?
See above.  I can only thank Ran for letting me in, I am very thankful for everything this site has offered and given to me.  My experience here has been wonderful, and I have made some lifelong friends and golf partners.  This is truly a wonderful place

I hope you'll share some of your experiences about Tumble Creek with Tom D for the many posters who weren't around for that.
Certainly.  In 2006, I heard Mr. Doak was coming to WA for the opening of Tumble Creek.  I was 16 at the time, and kept bugging him about caddying for him, meeting him, etc.  Eventually, on Mother's Day, I got a message from Tom inviting me to play as his guest on opening day.

That day was truly special.  I wore a pink shirt and baby blue shorts.  There are pictures somewhere here to prove that.  However, Tom did not mind and was the most respectful of hosts I have ever had.  He talked to me and my family at breakfast about golf course architecture and throughout the round we talked and I learned a lot about gca.  It was a special four hours.  After nine holes, he had to go and Tumble Creek let my Father and I play the back nine together.  That was one of the last rounds I played with my Dad and it was very special.

The next year, as a senior in high school, Tom gave me a topographical map with which I used to design a golf course for my senior project.  Since I have seen two more Doak designs, Pacific Dunes and Old Macdonald, and my respect for him and his knowledge for design has just grown.  Toim has helped me a lot in my knowledge of gca and he has given me many great oppurunities, for which I am very grateful.  He is a wonderful asset to this site and I really anjoy reading what he has to say.  Though I am no longer looking to design golf courses, his kindness to me is something I will never forget.  Tumble Creek was easily one of my best golf days ever.  Thanks again, Tom.

Jordan Wall

« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2009, 05:26:45 AM »
I'll join the grilling:

2. What are the most important things you have learned on GCA that aren't architecture-related?
Learning to use resources, have an open mind, and be willing to give as others have done for me.  GCA has taught me many great lessons for which I am very grateful.  I have grown as a person due to some of the people I have met through this site, and that is really cool.

3. What is the best part about caddying?
Seeing golf courses I might only otherwise dream about, but more so than just seeing them, being able to really understand them.  My knowledge of Seattle CC is as good as anyone on the planet and I am confident in that.  Caddying at Cypress opened up my eyes to what gca is really about.  Being able to appreciate the subtle nuances of the golf course that make it great was special.  I definitely got to see so much more at Cypress in a summer than I would have in just one round.  To understand the golf course, and how it works, is really cool.

4. From your caddying experience, how much does bad decision making or not knowing one's limitations affect their scoring?
Most members know their limitations.  It's the guests that don't know what they're doing.  I feel like if they actually listened to my advice they would save 6 or 7 shots a round.  But, thats all up to them.

5. You could play any course in the world (current version, past version, or NLE) with any architect you choose (living or dead).  Which course?  Which architect?  Why?
Cypress Point with Mackenzie.  Because I have so many questions to ask him, because it's the greatest course I've ever seen, and because despite all the golf courses I haven't played, there is still not a single course on earth I would rather play right now than Cypress Point.  The entire round ould just be me asking questions and listening, which I would be fine with.  It would be fun to spend some time with a genius.

6. Favorite golf hole you have played & why?
There are obvious answers, like several holes at Cypress, Pebble, Riviera.  But I think my favorite hole to PLAY...well, easily the 18th at Kapalua.  Nuff said.

7. Can you think of a worse foursomes pairing than the one you had at Sherwood?   :D
Yea, my ex-girlfriend.

Jordan Wall

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2009, 05:30:38 AM »
Jordan, could you have made that downhill birdie putt on the 18th green at Pasatiempo if I hadn't missed on the same line a minute before?
Absolutely not.  Thanks, pal ;D

How are things in Pullman?
I might be transfering to UW next year...

Will the football team be better next year?
I'm friends with most of the team.  Sadly, I doubt it, unless we get a new coach.

Have you played Wine Valley yet?
No.

If so, please share your impressions.

What course you played for the first time last year did you enjoy the most?
Cypress Point.

Why?
It was my dream.  It was magic.  I could ramble on forever, but George posted a link to a thread I started on it.  There is no course I have enjoyed that has ever come close to Cypress.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Did Bob J tell you the lawyer joke I told him in Rye?  (I hope not!)
IM...

Jordan Wall

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2009, 05:33:06 AM »
Jordan:
Why are you considered a semi-controversial figure?
Carl, when I first got on this site I was 15 and knew everything about, well everything.  I had a thread with an essay detailing how Pine Valley wasn't the best course in the world, or the country, and did several real youthful things.  Plus, the fact that I was so young, on a website with all these guys, was contorversial in and of itself.  Other than that, I think it's been more intrigue than contreversy.

Jordan:

Seeing as you're an internet posting nerd, have you gotten much trim in your first year at college?
Nothing to worry about here  ;)

Jed

Jordan Wall

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2009, 05:36:16 AM »

Jordan,

Famous people you have caddied for?
Lot's, but the coolest thing was being in the same group as Tom Brady and Peyton Manning.  That was cool.  You want to talk about huse hands, it's them.  WOW.

Tyson or Ali?
Ali is the greatest.  I could care less about Tyson, and I never want to hear him sing Phil Collins ever again.

Have you dated a cougar?
Oh God.

Running a business, making money, and supporting a thriving family.  By thriving I mean a good, first marriage, with a couple young kids who look up to me.  I want to be supporting my Father, who is disabled, and help my Mom retire early.  I look forward to the future.

Thanks.............Anthony

Jordan Wall

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2009, 05:39:44 AM »
Jordan,

Never.

Which is best questions:

Moscow or Pullman fairer sex?
Fairer?  Better!?  Why would I get laid in Moscow?  Shoot, why would I leave the women in Pullman in the first place?

Tumble Creek or Palouse Ridge?
Tumble Creek, by far.

Tom Doak or Alister MacKenzie?
Different architects and haven't seen enough of either to make a fair judgement.  Porbably Mackenzie, but then again Pacific Dunes is about as good as it gets, except for Cypress which is the best on earth.  That's not a fair questons.  Mackenzie is my favorite golden age architect and I believe Tom does the best work of any architect today.  Plus, he's a super guy.  So, not a fair question.  Both.

Chambers Bay or Rustic Canyon?
Chambers Bay, but Rustic is very good.

Bob Jenkins or John Mayhugh?  ;D
Both, at Pebble Beach in the sunset.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2009, 09:00:28 AM »

Running a business, making money, and supporting a thriving family.  By thriving I mean a good, first marriage, with a couple young kids who look up to me.  I want to be supporting my Father, who is disabled, and help my Mom retire early.  I look forward to the future.

Great character Jordan. I pray your dreams come true.

Anthony

J_ Crisham

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2009, 08:23:41 PM »
Jordan,  Hope all is well with you in Pullman- if you get a chance PM me regarding the Evans Scholar Summer outing 2010. Need to start looking at schedules.   Wish you well ,  Jack

Garland Bayley

« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2009, 12:28:43 AM »
Jordan,

Never.

Are you sure you are going to be able to handle UW? The students at UW know that Nov 23 is Thanksgiving every 5 to 6 years depending on intervening leap years. Then of course sometimes leap years cause it to jump over Thanksgiving.

Tell your friends on the football team, no hard feelings, but the Beavers needed some Cougar fodder before dining on Duck in a couple of weeks.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

RJ_Daley

« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2009, 02:11:48 PM »
Your a good sport, Jordan.

What's in your bag?  Are you one for looking for the newest technology and do you go to courses or ranges where you can try out the newest drivers and irons, hybrids, wedges and do you test new putters; or do you like what you play now, or a mix of both?

Do you personally play a putter, bump a FW wood, or pitch/chip to a hole location on a links course like Tom Watson had on 18th of the last round this year?  If you were his caddie, what would you have done or said?

Good luck on your decision about staying at WSU or go to UW.  I've never seen WSU, but a tour around UW campus made a great impression on me.

No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Jason Topp

« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2009, 02:28:33 PM »
Your best competitive round of golf?

Did you consider playing college golf?

How much do you play now?

Looking back on your baseball experience, do you think national travelling teams are a good idea?

Sahalee - love it or hate it?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back