News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George Pazin

Starting tomorrow, Tues. 10/20: Get To Know Kyle Henderson
« on: October 19, 2009, 01:34:24 PM »
If you've been paying attention to Kyle's amazing photo tours, you might feel like you already know him.

However, I'm sure there is a lot more to Kyle than his obvious talent behind the lens.

I will try to dig up a little more background, but in the meantime, it's your job to dream up some entertaining questions for Kyle.

From the Who Are You Guys thread (posted in November 2008 - obviously Kyle has quite a bit to add now!):

No kids. No wife. Not gay.   ==> 6ft.-tall, Swedish Nurse girlfriend
Started golfing in 2002 on an “as wallet allows” basis.
Hometown: Livermore, CA
Favorite word: stercoraceous
Alumni: U.C. Davis 2002 (B.S.), 2005 (M.S.)
Introduced to GCA: Played a video game version of Tobacco Road. That led me to look up the course online… From nerdy to nerdiest.

Favorite Golf Course Book: Alister MacKenzie’s Cypress Point Club
by Geoff Shackelford

Top 5 Favorite Courses Played:
Ballyneal (2008)
Bandon Trails (2008)
Pacific Dunes (2008)
Sand Hills (2008... It’s been a VERY good year)
Tobacco Road (2005)

Wish List:

U.S.
- Cypress Point Club
- Pine Valley
- NGLA
- Shinnecock
- Merion
- Oakmont

U.K.
- St. Andrews- Old Course
- Royal Dornoch
- Royal County Down
- Ballybunion-Old
- Sunningdale - Old
- Swinley Forest

-Meet more GCAers!!!

-Own a pet miniaturized elephant.

-Become more rich than stupid.

-Give up crack habit.

-Limit sarcasm.

-----

On deck: Brian Phillips

Previous participants:

Jeff Brauer

Kyle Harris

Mike Young

Anthony Nysse

Jim Franklin

Phillip Young

Tim Gerrish

Bill McBride

Rich Goodale

Martin Bonnar
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 02:33:00 PM by George Pazin »
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Anthony Gray

Re: Starting tomorrow, Tues. 10/20: Get To Know Kyle Henderson
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 02:01:01 PM »

Kyle,

You are a great contributor to the site, Don't you think we need your photo threads from Cypress Point, Augusta National, and Pine Valley?

What were some of your favorite holes from your Scotland trip?

What surprised you the most about Scotland?

Tell us about your education?

What was it like to golf with Marty Bonner?

How old were you when you beat your father in golf for the first time?

Thanks for all you efforts you take on behalf of the DG.

Anthony

Scott Warren

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 02:19:00 PM »
What drove you to organise such an encyclopaedic trip for your first foray to Scotland?

Can you remember the first time you consciously thought about golf course architecture?

What is your ultimate GCA fourball?

At what point did your hair recede/thin to the point that shaving it seemed like the best option? (I ask this as a 26yo rapidly approaching that decision...)

Jim Colton

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 02:36:47 PM »
Kyle,

- What's your Top 5 look like a year later?

- Will you be at Ballynizzle 2011?

- Is the 6' Swedish Nurse the same person you're now engaged to?

Jed Peters

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 03:48:53 PM »

Pics.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 05:47:46 PM »
Kyle thanks for your photo tour of Scotland and I am amazed it was your first time there based on your great understanding of the links courses.

The other day you said something like if you ever made it outside of the USA again, Australia was the preferred destination.

I was surprised by this and would have thought you were now a die hard golf tourist.  I’ve put of a golf trip to the states for fear of it becoming addictive and it’s hard enough feeding my links habit. I’m curious as to what was your thinking behind this remark particularly the implication that you weren’t already in detailed planning of the next trip to see what’s out there?
Let's make GCA grate again!

John Mayhugh

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 08:02:11 PM »
Kyle,
I really enjoyed the photo tours from Scotland.  Did you actually go back and label all of the photos or is your memory that good?

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 11:40:12 PM »
I'd love to add more about myself, but first i simply must see what Mr. Pazin can dig up on his own.

Kyle,

You are a great contributor to the site, Don't you think we need your photo threads from Cypress Point, Augusta National, and Pine Valley?
Don't tease me.  :'(
  What were some of your favorite holes from your Scotland trip?
I’ll pick one from each course, in the order I played them.

Royal Dornoch (2 rounds): #14

Brora: #13

Golspie: #9

Castle Stuart (tour only): #3

Nairn: #3

Royal Aberdeen- Balgownie: #2

Murcar (spectator): #7

Cruden Bay (2 rounds): #5

St. Andrews – Castle #17

St. Andrews – Old #13

Crail – Craigshead: #10

Crail – Balcombie: #5

Carnoustie – Championship: #14

Panmure: #6

St. Andrews- New #8

St. Andrews- Eden #8

Kingsbarns: #5, thogh I did make an eagle on #6

Lundin Links: #1

Gleneagles – Kings: #13

Gleneagles – Queens: #7

Muirfield (27 holes): #17

Gullane #1: #7

Gullane#2: #11

North Berwick (West): #13

What surprised you the most about Scotland?
Although I was in the country for 16 days, I only got wet three times during my 26 rounds of golf (only twice due to weather). I was not aware that the U.K had such mild summers! ;D

Tell us about your education?
I like to tell people that I studied bodily functions in college. I could be considered an overpaid P.E. teacher or an underpaid nurse.

What was it like to golf with Marty Bonner?
FBD is a charmer. I'll tee it up with him any day, even though he makes me seem less fun by comparison.

How old were you when you beat your father in golf for the first time?
I started playing at 22 and surpassed my paternal unit at 24. I now allow him a stroke per hole during match play and still usually win all three dollars. I'm quite the shark.

Thanks for all you efforts you take on behalf of the DG.
My pleasure, compatriot! I garner far more than I give to this forum.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 11:41:44 PM by Kyle Henderson »
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2009, 12:01:08 AM »
What drove you to organise such an encyclopaedic trip for your first foray to Scotland?
Well, basically I've travelled very little outside of the western U.S.A. I figured it might be a long time before I get out of North America a second time (what with the impending marraige) and transatlantic flights don't come cheaply. So, I picked a dozen courses I really wanted to see and left open the option to see twice that many if the weather conditions were favorable. Weather conditions were almost perfect, and so I played a lifetime's worth of golf in two weeks. Even playing 36 holes a day (usually 7-8 hours on the courses), I had 10 extra hours of daylight to travel and see the sights. The Scottish people are very warm and friendly. I never felt isolated, especially thanks to many of my GCA amigos that I met in th U.K.

Can you remember the first time you consciously thought about golf course architecture?
I don't remember the exact moment, but my introduction to golf occurred during my final year as an undergraduate. I played the Davis Muni mostly, a par 66 that charged an $8 twilight fee. Every once in awhile, I would wander over to Wildhorse, the new Jeff Brauer course, as a special treat. Wildhorse was built on an unremarkable site but has a lot of good strategic holes, interesting angles of play and some artful bunker shaping. The contrast between these two tracks ignited my GCA motor.

My dad, my brother, my mom and arnold Palmer at Cypress Point. I'll caddie, take pictures and supply witty banter.

At what point did your hair recede/thin to the point that shaving it seemed like the best option? (I ask this as a 26yo rapidly approaching that decision...)

I shaved the dome for the Nor Cal Championship Football game at the Oakland Coliseum and never looked back. Years later (age 25 or so), my hair grew back a bit during a week-long camping trip. In that state, I resemble the planet Saturn.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 12:18:30 AM by Kyle Henderson »
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2009, 12:09:00 AM »
Kyle,

- What's your Top 5 look like a year later?
Tobacco Road (too many lovable flaws) has been supplanted by Royal Dornoch (a true thoroughbred). the rest of the list stays intact. Clear Creek Tahoe looked very good during my recent visit, perhaps a contender, but my opportunity to actually play there fell through. Hopefully, I'll be part of a small contingent that gets to play there adjacent ot the King's Putter next spring. I also toured a half-dozen holes at Old Mac with Jim Urbina one year ago. That course could be my #1. I can't wait to find out!

- Will you be at Ballynizzle 2011?
Barring any unfortunate mishaps. Ballyneal is my favorite course, as you love me to repeat.
She is indeed. I don't go through women with the same expediancy as I did during my youth.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 12:29:10 AM by Kyle Henderson »

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2009, 12:14:31 AM »

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2009, 12:27:16 AM »
Kyle thanks for your photo tour of Scotland and I am amazed it was your first time there based on your great understanding of the links courses.

The other day you said something like if you ever made it outside of the USA again, Australia was the preferred destination.

I was surprised by this and would have thought you were now a die hard golf tourist.  I’ve put of a golf trip to the states for fear of it becoming addictive and it’s hard enough feeding my links habit. I’m curious as to what was your thinking behind this remark particularly the implication that you weren’t already in detailed planning of the next trip to see what’s out there?

I am now a die hard golf tourist. I think about taking trips every day. Now that those opportunities are becoming financially viable, I am starting follow through with them. My current plans all revolve around my upcoming wedding plans and the King's Putter 2010. After that, I hope to golf Australia/NZ, Ireland, England, and Japan (in roughly that order). Most of all, I'd love to stay stateside and see the jewels of Long Island. I figure that should cover the next 40+ years... >:(

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2009, 12:34:36 AM »
Kyle,
I really enjoyed the photo tours from Scotland.  Did you actually go back and label all of the photos or is your memory that good?

I do have a good memory for golf courses, but I also labelled a number of photos -- I shot some courses on multiple days, so  I made sure to sequence everything properly soon after returning home. My real secret is that I have a yardage guide from almost every course I visited, even Tain, Castle Stuart, The Jubilee, Elie, and Murcar.The only escape artist was Skibo Castle, from which I failed to procure any paraphernalia .
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 01:27:08 AM by Kyle Henderson »

Anthony Gray

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2009, 10:24:47 AM »

Kyle,

How many man hours have you put in to date in planning the KP?

What is the best exercize for some one with lower back problems?

How long have you had the signature bucket hat?

What do you think about glucosamine chondroitin?

Favorite food at Bandon Dunes?

Which discussion group member should I name my next child after?

Did you get your face licked in Scotland?

What did you think about Tobacco Road?

MOM wants to go to Bandon again. Should I take on the GCA trip?

Thanks for being a good sport.

Anthony

George Pazin

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2009, 01:13:31 PM »
My dad, my brother, my mom and arnold Palmer at Cypress Point. I'll caddie, take pictures and supply witty banter.

I am impressed, you are the first person I can recall who opted to caddy for others, rather than partake. Interesting and telling.

What prompted you to start playing at 22?

Tobacco Road was the course that led me to this site as well - have you played it?
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2009, 01:35:15 PM »

I am impressed, you are the first person I can recall who opted to caddy for others, rather than partake. Interesting and telling.

What prompted you to start playing at 22?
My college buddy Eddy played in high school, and I found myself spending my last summer break in my hometown, so I made the driving range part of a weekly routine for spending time with my dad.

Tobacco Road was the course that led me to this site as well - have you played it?

I played TR a half-dozen times during my 6-months of residency in Durham, NC. The winter weekend rate was $50, which is less than a crummy muni in the SF Bay.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 02:46:18 PM by Kyle Henderson »

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2009, 02:44:38 PM »

Kyle,

How many man hours have you put in to date in planning the KP?
I’ve dedicated several dozen hours do far, mostly emailing various individuals around California to establish venues. I eventually selected North Tahoe because of the area’s natural beauty, ease of access to most of the courses in that region (most of the suitable San Francisco Bay courses would require groveling for access, which I detest), convenience to a major airport, the availability of cabins that can host dinner festivities and because I am eager to play those courses myself.

I must admit I’m a bit nervous since I haven’t seen any of the venues first-hand, but I am assured that only one of the courses is “unwalkable,” despite the mountainous locale, and all of the courses have been well-received by the sources I trust. I think everyone will be pleased.  

What is the best exercize for some one with lower back problems?
Every individual case is different. I can’t offer any general advice without risking law suits, but I will state that I frequently recommend “supermans” to my clients for combating and preventing a variety of lower back ailments.

Floor version with dude sporting excellent haircut
http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&hl=en-GB&v=8szJuzPt-sg

Stability ball version with cute girl
http://www.ehow.com/video_2361149_superman-core-exercise.html

How long have you had the signature bucket hat?

I’ve had it for a couple of years, but it was replaced with a Ballyneal version over the summer. I prefer to wwear baseball hats, but hours of golfing in the sun will then leave a strange tan line around my hairless skull. Vanity has its price, and goofy hats are easier to bear.

The National Institute of Health found that it is no more effective than a concentrated placebo.
http://nccam.nih.gov/research/results/gait/qa.htm

Placebos are cheaper.

Favorite food at Bandon Dunes?

At the risk of my patients reading this, I loved the pork chops with tempura apple rings in McKee’s Pub.

Which discussion group member should I name my next child after?
Jon Spaulding, since you wouldn’t be stealing the name of an actual person. ;)

Did you get your face licked in Scotland?

No, although some high school girls wanted me to party with them on the beach in North Berwick on their last day of the term.  I declined.

What did you think about Tobacco Road?
The course is completely over the top, but in a way that appealed to me. The risk/reward angles from tee to green are just tremendously fun and beg to be played repeatedly. I shot a career round during my first play there. The yardage book made the blind shots easy to negotiate and there’s a ton of room for ball sprayers. The only significant imperfections are the long green to tee transitions in places and the over-shaping of some greens. But, I wouldn’t change a thing and it is still one of my all-time favorites. Someday, I need to see the rest of the Strantz portfolio (Stonehouse, RNK, Bulls Bay, Caledonia, True Blue)

MOM wants to go to Bandon again. Should I take on the GCA trip?

Only if that will not preclude you from attending the KP.

Thanks for being a good sport.

No. Thank you.
  Anthony

« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 02:47:03 PM by Kyle Henderson »

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2009, 11:47:13 PM »
Jed,

I found a more recent picture of the nurse.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2009, 11:52:59 PM »
The National Institute of Health found that it is no more effective than a concentrated placebo.

Placebos are cheaper.

What's a concentrated placebo? Nothing special, but a lot of it?

Jason Topp

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2009, 12:02:24 AM »
Kyle:

Have you soured on Wikipedia? 

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2009, 12:12:41 AM »

Placebos are cheaper.

What's a concentrated placebo? Nothing special, but a lot of it?

Exactly! 2 parts inert (unspecial) substance, zero parts anything else.

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2009, 12:18:09 AM »
Kyle:

Have you soured on Wikipedia?  

By no means, Mr. Topp. Then again, I already know that "the sourness of substances is rated relative to dilute hydrochloric acid, which has a sourness index of 1" without having to look it up.

JLahrman

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2009, 01:17:46 PM »
Kyle, please answer the following questions honestly.  It will tell us all we need to know about your character as a golfer, and hence, a human being.

1.  Apart from clubs, balls, tees, and a glove, what else would I find in your golf bag?

2.  What is your personal bottom wardrobe threshhold for playing golf?  Is it absolute or does it scale by the quality of the course you're playing?

3.  If you were a type of fairway grass, what type of fairway grass would you be and why?
3b. How often would you water yourself?

4.  When playing golf with friends, do you enjoying wagering?  If yes, how much is too much to put on the line?

5.  What is your usual ball marker?

6.  How many pairs of golf shoes do you own?

7.  How frequently do you go to the driving range?

8.  In a casual round of golf, you play terribly.  Will you throw tantrums?  Will you make your playing partners uncomfortable in any way?  How much profanity and other barnyard language can we expect to hear?

9. You have the opportunity to play a course that you've always wanted to play.  You're really struggling on one of the holes.  At what point do you just pick up and move to the next hole?

10.  How many legitimately good golf jokes do you know?  Can you tell them well?  Are they G, PG, or R rated?

Thanks in advance for your responses.  PS fiance is lovely.

Evan Fleisher

Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

James Boon

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2009, 03:41:02 PM »
Kyle,

At risk of being a bit late to ask, what is the picture in you avatar? Nothing too taxing on the GCA front!

Also, you mentioned that the 13th at Brora was your favourite? I know its a tricky question, but why? I only ask because there are plenty of other holes I would list before that one, as I've never really liked it much?

Many thanks for your various photo tours of your trip to Scotland. Awesome work! Its been a while since you got back if I recall right, which makes me feel better as I actually have 4 draft photo tours in waiting, one going back to July, but checking the photos, resizing for the new format on the forum etc seems to take forever.

Keep up the interesting and humerous posts, and when you get round to your tour of England it would be great to possibly meet such a great sounding guy.

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back