News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George Pazin

Starting now, Mon. 10/5: Get To Know Bill McBride
« on: October 05, 2009, 01:52:24 PM »
Don't know if it comes through in my posts, but Bill is one of my favorite gca'ers. He has a wonderful breadth of experience in his golf travels, and manages to share it in a thoughtful manner, both in the friendly sense of the word and the cognitive sense. He has also been wonderfully tolerant of my struggles during our two rounds we shared in Florida!

Fresh off a trip to the most recent BUDA Cup, I'm sure Bill has a lot of interesting tales to share.

Please think of some interesting questions for this part Floridian, part Oregonian, world traveler. :)

-----

On deck: ?? Looking for an industry guy, but I've been so busy with work I haven't had much chance to contact anyone. If anyone would care to volunteer (or volunteer someone else...), please send me a PM.

Previous participants:

Jeff Brauer

Kyle Harris

Mike Young

Anthony Nysse

Jim Franklin

Phillip Young

Tim Gerrish
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 04:30:21 PM by George Pazin »
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Anthony Gray

Re: Starting tomorrow, Tues. 10/6: Get To Know Bill McBride
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 01:57:43 PM »

I won't be able to sleep tonight!!

Anthony

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 02:04:12 PM »
Ace,
How many hole in ones do you expect to get in your Golf Club Atlas career?
How many strokes would you need to give George to have an even match at Black Mesa?
How does your club renovation feel these days?
What is your favorite hidden gem in the UK?
What is your favorite really hidden gem in the US?  :)
Glad to have been your partner.
Mike
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 02:29:06 PM »
Hey Bill!  Also one of my fave GCAers.  Bill, you have a great head on your shoulders and we all respect you...so what would you suggest to make the GCA BB a better place for everybody?
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 02:39:12 PM »
I told George he had a great concept with these "Get to Know.." threads but that this one would stretch the credibility of the rest of the program!

But thanks for inviting me. 

GolfClubAtlas has been the best thing that ever happened to my golf life.  I was very bored with golf around 2000, wasn't traveling much, golf was just the same old same old.  Then I bumbled onto the old BraveNet (?) discussion group and was eventually pointed toward GCA.com by Tom Huckaby (where is the Huckster these days).  In those days John "Tiger" Bernhardt was traveling from Louisiana to his Navarre FL  beach condo fairly regularly and I invited him to stop by Pensacola CC for a game and he reciprocated a few months later by convincing me to spend a bunch of money and fly out to Oregon and play this new course at Bandon Dunes.  That led to meeting a few more GCAers and soon I was spending too much time on line.

From that has come a life of reading on line posts, traveling to play golf with GCAers in the annual Kings Putter, Dixie Cup and sometimes to the Buda Cup in the UK.  Those UK trips in turn have introduced me to the links game which I dearly love, along with life in the UK in general.  I'm still running a construction company, albeit at a slower pace these days, or I would seriously consider spending more time each year in either Scotland or on the Kent coast at Deal. 

I've also been fortunate enough to play quite a few of the classic courses and appreciate the work of the old masters that I find exemplified in the work of the modern "classic" designers.   I was lucky enough to play the Valley Club of Montecito and La Cumbre CC while in college in Santa Barbara, and my dad took my brother and I to Pasatiempo and Sonoma Golf Club back in the days when you could rent a cottage for a long weekend and play those courses very reasonably.

With regard to the walking vs riding schism, I love to walk but will ride if that's what's best.  Hot and humid or too tough to walk are usually the benchmarks for hopping on a cart.

Willing to talk about most anything!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 02:52:03 PM »
Ace,
How many hole in ones do you expect to get in your Golf Club Atlas career?
How many strokes would you need to give George to have an even match at Black Mesa?
How does your club renovation feel these days?
What is your favorite hidden gem in the UK?
What is your favorite really hidden gem in the US?  :)
Glad to have been your partner.
Mike

Nuzzo, let me get this out of the way first and state, for the record, that Wolf Point was the most fun I've had in years on a course.  It is flexible, plays fast and firm, has great variety and one good hole after another.  It's great you had this opportunity and I hope it's the first of many.  When will the SE Houston (Bay City?) remodel happen?  That's close to son David's home.

I have only had one hole in one in my 50+ years playing golf, and happy it was in a GCA.com event!  My dad played for 55 years and never had one, so I am one up on the old boy!

George is young and strong and would therefore have to play me straight up at Black Mesa!  Great course there by the way, and where I first had the pleasure of meeting you.  That course really holds up.

I am a bit disappointed with the remodel of Pensacola CC - can't really call it as renovation as there are many new holes - because the super puts too much water on it and there are places that should be firm that are habitually soggy.  Part might be slope but I think it's overwatering.   Jerry Pate and his lead designer, Steve Dana, designed the course to play fast but it's a bit too green and wet.  One of the things I've come to realize from my trips to the UK is that "brown is beautiful."  The Augusta syndrome, everything must be emerald green, makes our golf courses here play slow and soggy.  Too bad.

My favorite hidden gem in the UK is Elie, just south of St Andrews.  16 par 4s ranging from 256 yards to 469 yards, two par 3s, holes on the water, holes playing almost through the town, and how many, six marker poles for blind tee shots.   Painswick is of course runner up although it's not so hidden any more due to GCA.com.

Wolf Point is the best hidden gem, basically because it's a private club with only one member!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 02:57:35 PM »
Hey Bill!  Also one of my fave GCAers.  Bill, you have a great head on your shoulders and we all respect you...so what would you suggest to make the GCA BB a better place for everybody?

Jay, what would make the GCA BB a better place for everybody?

How do I say this?  Perhaps less acrimony over other people's opinions.  Some of the longer threads seem to disintegrate into "I'm right, you're wrong, drop dead!" and I don't think that's very productive.  I miss some of the posters with great experience and ideas who have dropped out over this acrimony.  Too bad.

One thing that might make this a better place is if more made the effort to make it to the GCA events - the Kings Putter, the Dixie Cup, the Buda Cup, or the informal get togethers that seem to be posted frequently.  It's hard to be too acrimonious with people you've played golf or broken bread with - or had a couple of cool pints with.   There is a great spirit of camaraderie among those who attend, and in these days, it's also a fun opportunity to get in some competitive match play golf.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 03:00:05 PM »

Anthony

Anthony, you owe us a report on your latest trip to Scotland and Cruden Bay.  So far all we've seen is photos of the bar flies in that pub you frequent!  ;D  It did look fun but not much about the golf.

David Stamm

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2009, 03:07:37 PM »
A worthy interview, George!

Bill, how does Sonoma play now vs when you played there with your family?

Also, besides our shared admiration for MacKenzie, what other architects work do you find yourself attracted to, both past and present?
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Jay Flemma

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009, 03:12:31 PM »

GolfClubAtlas has been the best thing that ever happened to my golf life. 

That is the nicest thing I've seen on this board in ages.  More Bill M, please!
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Bill_McBride

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2009, 03:36:13 PM »
A worthy interview, George!

Bill, how does Sonoma play now vs when you played there with your family?

Also, besides our shared admiration for MacKenzie, what other architects work do you find yourself attracted to, both past and present?

Couldn't say about Sonoma now, I haven't played there since Sonoma Mission Inn took over and made it a high end private / resort, probably been 15 years.  It used to be a $35 daily fee course.  In the '50s, when I played high school matches and short family stays there, it was always very dry and fast.  The rough was not irrigated.  Some of the longest tee shots came down the rough lines.  We were supposed to play there about five years ago but were rained out.  I suspect the course is a lot less firm that it used to play.

I haven't had any exposure at all to some architects I'd love to have had, Flynn, Tillinghast, some of the other eastern architects.  I have been lucky enough to play four or five Macdonald Raynors and love that style.  It's not minimalist at all but is so appealing to play with all those running shots and the famous 'template' holes.  I've played a handful of Ross courses  and generally find them to be very comfortable without looking very difficult.  They play tougher than they look.

You are right about Mackenzie, he seemed to have the knack of getting the best possible golf course out of any setting.  It was very interesting to see what a really good course and routing is at Alwoodley, which he designed 20 years before Valley Club, Meadow Club, Crystal Downs and Cypress Point.  I would love to see more of his UK courses.

Of the modern architects, I love the work of those who I think are inspired by the minimalist or natural look - Doak, Hanse, Mike Young, Coore & Crenshaw, Mike DeVries.   I haven't seen any of Forrest Richardson's new courses but have been mightily impressed by the two renovations I've played.  Hold on, wait a minute, I went down to the Sea of Cortez and played Forrest's Links at Las Palomas which is really unique.  The holes in the dunes are minimalistic and entrancing, the holes down in the flat are artistically routed.  It's a treat that more should sample.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 05:08:26 PM by Bill_McBride »

Anthony Gray

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2009, 03:52:49 PM »

Anthony

Anthony, you owe us a report on your latest trip to Scotland and Cruden Bay.  So far all we've seen is photos of the bar flies in that pub you frequent!  ;D  It did look fun but not much about the golf.

They are on the way...Brandy has been out of the office.

Anthony

Sean_A

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2009, 03:56:17 PM »
Hey Ace, when was the first time you played on the auld sod?  Where did you make it on that trip? 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Anthony Gray

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2009, 04:01:07 PM »

Bill,

You are always a good sport. Thanks for taking the time.

What courses are underrated?

What is the best resteraunt in Pensicola?

What is your next must play course?

Should Peg Leg Pete walk or take a cart?

How many courses have you played?

You played TOC backwards, how was it?

Thanks...Anthony

Sean Leary

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2009, 04:02:23 PM »
Bill,

How does it feel to be GCA's oldest member?

;)

Bill_McBride

« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2009, 04:23:31 PM »
Hey Ace, when was the first time you played on the auld sod?  Where did you make it on that trip? 

Ciao

The first time was in 1989 when I went to London on business and took my wife along for a week of holiday.  We went to Bath and then into the Cotswolds, spending a couple of nights in Chipping Camden.  We went for quite a long walk and I spotted the Broadway golf club, which is on top of the Cotswold escarpment above the Vale of Easham.  I had no plans to play, but the pro offered to loan me his cubs and fixed me up with a couple of local players.  I had a great time, that is a very fun couirse with some strong par 4s and some incredible views.  I liked the dry conditions and knew I wanted to play in the UK again.

Fast forward to 2004 when I  went over for the Buda Cup at Painswick and played St Andrews Old and North Berwick first.  Then I was terminally hooked!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2009, 04:25:06 PM »
Bill,

How does it feel to be GCA's oldest member?

;)

It's possible Mr. Huntley has me by a few years.   ;D

George Pazin

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2009, 04:29:57 PM »
Bill's not even close!

I don't think Bob Huntley is, either, for that matter.

One thing that might make this a better place is if more made the effort to make it to the GCA events - the Kings Putter, the Dixie Cup, the Buda Cup, or the informal get togethers that seem to be posted frequently.  It's hard to be too acrimonious with people you've played golf or broken bread with - or had a couple of cool pints with.   There is a great spirit of camaraderie among those who attend, and in these days, it's also a fun opportunity to get in some competitive match play golf.

In a sense, one of the main purposes of these Get To Know threads is to augment the experiences of the GCA events. When people get to know each other better, I believe there is better, more understanding, discussion will be the result.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 04:45:04 PM by George Pazin »
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Sean Leary

Re: Starting now, Mon. 10/5: Get To Know Bill McBride
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2009, 04:35:33 PM »
I was just poking a little fun at Bill, that is all.

Regardless, he doesn't look a day over 80.....

Bill_McBride

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2009, 04:37:03 PM »

Bill,

You are always a good sport. Thanks for taking the time.

What courses are underrated?  Good question.  Underrated by whom?  I'm not a fan  of the top 100 type ratings, and there are lots of secondary courses I really enjoy playing.  

What is the best resteraunt in Pensicola?  Probably Jackson's but I wiuld rather sit outside at Dharma Blue with our blue heeler by our feet.  We can't bring Happy to Jackson's.

What is your next must play course?  I am very much anticipating playing Palmetto at the Dixie Cup.  It's another Alister Mackenzie jewel and is supposed to be a lot of fun to play.

Should Peg Leg Pete walk or take a cart?  That's up to him, who I am to make that decision?

How many courses have you played?  I tried to count once - I'd suspect more than 200 in 50+ years..

You played TOC backwards, how was it?  That was a really enjoyable experience.  It was fun to see how many bunkers that were completely out of play actually faced the line of play on the reverse course!  And you could see every bunker in the minefield that is the regular #12 fairway when playing in the opposite direction!

Thanks...Anthony

« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 03:14:14 PM by Bill_McBride »

DMoriarty

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2009, 04:51:19 PM »
Hey bill.

If I remember correctly, you are a fan of the course at the Valley Club.  So am I.  To me it a good example of a course where the whole is better than the sum of the parts.  What do you think makes it a special course?
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Bill_McBride

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2009, 05:05:24 PM »
Hey bill.

If I remember correctly, you are a fan of the course at the Valley Club.  So am I.  To me it a good example of a course where the whole is better than the sum of the parts.  What do you think makes it a special course?

It will always have a special place in my heart because I played there as a college kid when I could occasionally hit tee shots over 220 yards, and recognized what a special course it is.

I love the remote feeling there, although one is close to a fairly densely populated area.  Those holes across Sheffield Road feel very isolated and peaceful.

I loved the way Mackenzie took advantage of the creeks that run through the course for diagonal hazards, all very natural and challenging.

I love the way Mackenzie used the two little hills to such great effect, with greens #3, #8, #10 and tees #4, #8, #9 and #11 all around and on those hills.  The routing is pure genius, a great out and back layout.

I love what the club and Tom Doak's team has done with all the acres of closely mown grass today.  That is all very recent but I think is how Mackenzie wanted it maintained.

The views of that lovely old clubhouse on the hill behind #15 and #18 greens are memorable.

I have been truly fortunate to be able to play a lot of golf at the Valley Club and am very thankful as it's my favorite course in the USA.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2009, 05:08:12 PM »

Bill,

You are a big fan of golf,How many majors have you attended?

Who introduced you to the game?

Do you own a pair of plus-4s?

What are your thoughts about Friars Head?

Other than me, who would you like to play a grudge match with?

You mentioned that you played "The Good Doctors" first design, how did it rate with you?

Thanks.....Anthony

Bill_McBride

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2009, 05:22:23 PM »

Bill,

You are a big fan of golf,How many majors have you attended?  Only one, I went to the Open Championship at St Andrews in 2005.  That was wonderful.  I also have attended two Walker Cups (Chicago 2005 and Royal County Down 2007) and consider that to be the most accessible of the 'major' events.

Who introduced you to the game?  My father, bless him.  I had never played when he joined the then-new Indian Valley Golf Club in Novato, California in 1955 when I was 13.  I spent the entire summer that year out there playing 36-45 holes a day and was breaking 80 at the end of the summer.  Pop used to take my brother and me out there when he got home from work or meet us out there, and played a lot.  He had a very imaginative short game.

Do you own a pair of plus-4s?  yes I do, and actually wore them to a Kings PUtter at Pajaro Valley.  I should wear them more, they are very comfortable.

What are your thoughts about Friars Head?  It's one of those modern classics that exemplify the Golden Age architectural work being done today.  Like Cypress Point, it goes in and out of different terrain, starting up in the dunes on both nines, playing down into the former potato fields via downhill par 5s, and going back up into the dunes on #7 and #14 via par 5s once again.  I think of the par 5s there as the escalators that get you down and then up again.   There are some great strategic holes here, notably #5, great short par 4, and all four of the par 5s.  I am a big fan.

Other than me, who would you like to play a grudge match with?  No grudge matches required, I am always ready for a good match!

You mentioned that you played "The Good Doctors" first design, how did it rate with you?  Alwoodley is a very good heathland course and does not feel like a course in its second century - built in 1907.  They keep the course running well and the turf is terrifically springy. I think it's in the top tier of heathland courses in England.

Thanks.....Anthony

« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 06:10:24 PM by Bill_McBride »

Ben Stephens

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2009, 05:37:41 PM »
Hey Bill,

Great to hear you choosing Elie as your favourite hidden gem - it was the most fun I had on a golf course something like 5 or 6 birdies as well as bogeys! I used to play there every year and its the perfect course to cater the top golfers down to novice beginners. 

Painswick is top 10 of future courses I most want to play thanks to GCA!

Always appreciate your vast knowledge of an endless number of golf courses! Look forward to many more in the future. Hope to meet you at next years BUDA!

Cheers

Ben

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back