News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Sweeney

Nominations for the "Goodale 30 Funkiest"
« on: December 08, 2008, 09:21:41 AM »
From Rich's thread, this category appealed to me:

Rich said: The 30 funkiest--North Berwick, Tobacco Road, Painswick, etc.

I ask that for Czar Goodale, you tell specifics about why a course is worthy of a Goodale 30 Funkiest. In addition, I think a course needs to be confirmed by a second for a nomination.

Of Rich's nominations, I can confirm Tobacco Road. Not so sure about Painswick which I have never played, and I think Rich needs to spell out why Painswick should be on.

My nomination is for Yale for the following reasons:

1. 24% of the yardage (1550+ yards) is on the final three holes and you never see a par 5 till #16.

2. Bunker depth and shape on holes #2 and 8.

3. The roller coaster holes #8 and #10.

4. #10 green

5. #18 hole at Yale.

All above with maybe a question mark on #18 are in a good way, to the point where they would be great features to build on a replica course.

Do I hear a second for Yale?

Other nominations?

* Corrected to reflect the wishes of Czar Goodale.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 09:56:11 AM by Mike Sweeney »

Bart Bradley

Re: Nominations for the "Goodale 30 Funkiest"
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 09:32:55 AM »
I'll nominate Lahinch:

the dell

klondyke

crossing fairways

blind tee shots

But the course is absolutely fantastic, fun and FUNKY.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 09:39:09 AM »
Mike

As for Painswick, 4557 yards of pure funk beloved by such luminaries as Henry Longhurst, Peter McEvoy, Tom Doak, Robin Hiseman, Paul Turner and Yours Truly.

As for Yale, one of the only two courses ever offered to me to play by Dr. Evil, and since the other one is highly valued by Pat Mucci, Yale must be seriously funky.

As to your criteria, great start, but I would try to express yourself without using the word "unique."  All things in this world are unique, including the smiles of children and snowflakes, and even "Redans."

Merry Christmas

Rich

Sean_A

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 09:43:19 AM »
I would certainly 2nd Painswick.  All you need to know is that the only bunker on the course is near the practice green.  Folks often go on about uniqueness, but Painswick is the real deal.  I don't know of a course which can even remotely claim the funk of Painswick

Ciao

« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 09:47:43 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Rich Goodale

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 09:49:08 AM »
Yes, Sean, and as I'm sure you know, the only reason they have a practice bunker at Painswick is so their players can prepare for away matches!

Rich

Craig Disher

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 10:09:36 AM »
Even a non-luminary can ring the bell for Painswick. A beer for anyone who can make a credible case that it shouldn't be at the top of the list.

Tobacco Road isn't far behind and might be first on a US-only list although I have to consider Annapolis GC a contender. A big difference between TR and Painswick is that at TR the funkiness was planned and built-in. At Painswick, it just fell into place. I can hear the founders saying to themselves, "Hey, here's some common land; let's try to fit a golf course on it so we can play and be home for supper." The fact that it's so much fun to play and that we continue to talk about it is really remarkable.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 10:36:13 AM »
I second Cruden Bay. 

I call on Anthony Gray to propose.

Tell us how deeply a man can feel for a bumpy stretch of grass, so many miles from home.

Hold nothing back.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2008, 10:55:19 AM »
We need more American courses in this, and I need Tommy Naccarato for my seconds....

1.  Alhambra Muni
2. Debell

each could be called a Painswick of Southern California.

Interestingly we have few equivalents in NorCal... although Pacific Grove Muni comes close.  I'd nominate Sawtooth on the St. John's GC, but if anyone other than me in here has played that I will likely die of shock.  But Painswick has nothing on that home-made course carved out of a guy's walnut grove...

TH

Mark Pearce

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2008, 10:59:33 AM »
Nominate Kington.
Nominate Elie.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Phil McDade

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2008, 11:12:15 AM »
Shiskine at Blackwaterfoot.

Stonehaven.

Dunaverty.

In that order...

Sean_A

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2008, 11:23:06 AM »
Nominate Kington.
Nominate Elie.

I 2nd Kington.  The course is a beautiful mix of funk and hard nose strategy that will perplex anybody at times.  Of course, the membership, views and price don't hurt.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2008, 11:27:25 AM »
Considering how many times I mention the place :

Am I the only GCA  member that has played Craigie Hill ?

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2008, 11:31:03 AM »
My nomination would be Astoria Golf and Country Club. Certainly the funkiest course, in a good way, that I've ever played.

Jason Topp

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2008, 11:41:24 AM »
Some Arizona entries:

1.  Fred Enke - Tucson

2.  Starr Pass -  Tucson - shots up cliffs.  A 320 yard par four over a mountain that usually requires a 150 yard blind shot to a 7 yard deep green that slopes away with a bunker in front.

Prestwick and Tot Hill Farm also must be in the running.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2008, 11:51:26 AM »
Lincoln Park, San Francisco.

7 out of 9 holes on the back nine between 200 and 299 yards. And...have you seen the place? Lincoln's funkiness does not require justification.   ;D

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2008, 11:53:50 AM »
Lincoln Park, San Francisco.

7 out of 9 holes on the back nine between 200 and 299 yards. And...have you seen the place? Lincoln's funkiness does not require justification.   ;D

DUH!
Stupid of me not to think of that.  THAT is our Painswick.

Seconded, thirded and fourthed.  Great call, Matt.

TH

Anthony Gray

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2008, 12:04:03 PM »
I second Cruden Bay. 

I call on Anthony Gray to propose.

Tell us how deeply a man can feel for a bumpy stretch of grass, so many miles from home.

Hold nothing back.

Tony....Thanks with great pleasure,

Cruden Bay was created by God. On the fun scale it is a 10+. A delightful blend of flavors. No holes mimic each other, only compliment each other.
Playing Cruden  for the first time is like your very best Christmas as a child.
One great surprise after another.

Greated by the starter who is wearing a coat and tie with the course crest on the pocket, you know you are in for a wonderful experience.

The first hole has just enough bite to tell you to stay on guard and do not under estimate the subtle difficulties that lie ahead.

In the secound fairway you hear Old Tom wispering "Let's put the green up high on the bank".

The third is a great ego check. Do I feel lucky today.

The fourth takes you back in time with the view of the village. If only I could excape the demands on my life and wake up every morning in one of those flats. Oh yea what a wonderful hole also. It screams "Don't be short"

The fifth takes you on a your next journey thru the dunes. Am I the only person on earth you may ask.

The sixth. O the sixth. Daring you to cross the water in two. And also daring you to putt in two.

The seventh is the epitome of the term dog-leg. Nowhere will you find one finer.

The eighth. Hitting your tee ball into the abyss. The challenge infront of your face to tighten your shoe laces and rip it with all your might.

The nineth. Rising out of the abyss and trancending into the heavens to find the peace of wideopen spaces.

The tenth. rejecting the compulsion to stop golfing and to spend the rest of the day on the bench in perfect peace you grab you driver and launch your ball into the valley below. The view from the tee is one of the best surprises a golfer can recieve.

The eleventh. Just like a crusty old scotish man. Do not disturb.

The twelveth. As the hole takes you further out you start dreaming that there may be no end.

The thirteenth.Caution..Caution do not get too relaxed.

The fourteenth. Words cannot do it justice. So pure that it is unrepeatable. "Don't even try to copy me I'm one of a kind"

The fifteenth. Maybe the best of all. What surprise lurks around the corner.
Will it be joy or disapointment. RING THE BELL IN TRIUMPH.

The sixteenth. As a fisherman throws his net hoping for a catch you cast your ball over the hill for the catch of the day.

The seventeenth. Traveling thru the valley of St OLaf's waters on the souls of long ago vikings you are careful not to disturb. You steer clear of the burial mound and venture to the green.

And at last the final hole. From the tee you look uot at the great expanse that has just offered you the greatest golf adventure the world has to offer. You gaze at the dunes the gourse the castle knowing you have excaped the eyes of Dracula.
You putt out and thank the heavens for allowing  your path to cross what is known to many as CRUDEN BAY.

Tony....I propose.

Anthony

« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 12:17:33 PM by Anthony Gray »

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2008, 02:36:31 PM »
I remember Dollar as being pretty funky, but it's long, long ago and the memory does play tricks.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2008, 02:37:12 PM »
And two in Wales - Bala and Ffestiniog.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2008, 02:42:02 PM »
Funky, in a less than positive way...the majority of the front nine at Dismal River...my goodness what were they thinking...way too many blind shots, some of which are simply ridiculous, and I like blind shots.
Shame, because the back nine is quite pleasant.

TX Golf

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2008, 02:47:25 PM »
Claremont in Berkeley, CA is definitely a tid bit funky.   The 7th hole crosses holes 4 and 5. I think it is a Par 69 and is under 6000.

Bill Weber

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2008, 03:28:50 PM »
The Machrie must be considered. Blind shots galore!

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2008, 03:30:11 PM »
Claremont in Berkeley, CA is definitely a tid bit funky.   The 7th hole crosses holes 4 and 5. I think it is a Par 69 and is under 6000.

Second that!  Great call.  There are crossing holes at Sequoyah also but it is nowhere near as funky as Claremont, which has funk even beyond the crossing holes.

TH

Kalen Braley

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2008, 03:35:26 PM »
If we're going to go with "bring the funk", even though its little known, gotta go with the Mountain Course at Cascades in Orem UT.  I never played anything close to as freaky and funky as this course.

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,36430.0.html

Edit:

I think Huck also forgot about another Bay area course that might fit here too.... Lake Chabot!!

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2008, 03:36:28 PM »
Delaware Park in Buffalo...boggles the mind and defies logic and rational explanation.

Pac Dunes...It's funky!

Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back