News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kalen Braley

I recently played the mountain 9 at Cascade Fairways in Orem, UT,(Approx 30 min south of Salt Lake City).  The original 9 was designed by William Neff in 1967 and opened in 1968.  The 2nd 9, the mountain 9, opened in 2003 and was routed across some very severe terrain.  Its unclear who designed this 9, but it may have been Mr. Neff as well before he passed away.

As stated in the title of this thread, the mountain 9 was routed thru such a preposterous piece of property, I couldn't help but think its a Doak 0.  But on some level, in a Shivas kind of way, its actually so bad, I think its actually very good.  Here are its primary attributes:

- Its over a mile just from the clubhouse to the 1st tee. And even if one was shuttled to the 1st tee, they'd still have such a long up and down haul, it'd be brutal to walk just these 9 holes.
- Features a double green for the 2nd and 3rd holes.
- Driveable "par 4's" and even "par 5s".
- Listed yardage on the card completely wrong.  I suspect they did so to get the total course yardage over 6000 yards. 
- Power lines running thru many holes and very much in play.
- Unconvential routing - 3,5,3,4,3,5,4,4,5, that double backs on itself a few times.....
...with a ton of half holes as they actually play closer to 3, 4.5, 2.5, 3.5, 3, 4, 3.5, 3, 3.5.
- A great match play course.
- Good course conditiong with F&F fairways and true greens.
- A few preposterous shot requirments sprinkled in.
- Dabbles with a few skyline greens.
- Tons of quirk, blind shots both on the tee and approach shots.
- As well as plenty of risk reward and penal style holes.
- For what it is, fits relativly well into its surroundings.
- And lastly loads of just plain fun and holes that will get your full attention.

In other words, its got something for almost everyone!!

On to the course....

#1 - Par 3 - Says 185 on the card, which is way off, only plays about 140'ish.  Don't miss right  ;)

Looking behind back to the tee, shows the steepness and great views provided by the site.

#2 - Par 5 that only plays like a 4.5.  A longish carry to the fairway...

Leaving this blind shot if going for the green in 2..where to hit it?    ???

Looking back to the tee, shows the extreme steepness of this hole.  And as usual the pics do no justice to it...very steep!

The blind approach to the skyline green, at least for me after ganking a 5 iron 2nd shot.

When you get up there, you find out its a double green with the next hole.

#3 - Par 3 - The goofyness starts, you must walk back to a different tee, where its just a Sand Wedge approach from a very slanted/crooked tee box.

#4 - Par 4 - A very blind tee shot with a green that is reachable for the long hitters.  However you must aim almost to the top of the hill on the left for the line.

The approach from a fairway after a 3 wood layup.

Looking back shows the hill to be carried a little better.

#5 Par 3 - Another short par 3 where long is very wrong.

A shot of the green with Mt. Timpanagos in the background (elev ~12,000 feet)

#6 - Par 5 - As you double back on the routing, the next hole unfolds before you where its decision time.

From the tee, do you go for it by driving over the nob of hill on the right?  Its a approx 330 yard carry.

Or go out to the fairway, where you must challenge the same hill again to get home in 2.

Looking back from behind the green thats tucked up around the corner.

#7 - Another short par 4 that is very tempting but dangerous.  The landing area is teeny...

Looking back reveals just how narrow the hole is, and unfortunately sliding down the hill.  I give this hole maybe a dozen or two more years before it completly slides off the hill.

#8)  While its a par 4 on the card, its only 200 yards or so up the hill.  I easily "drove" the green with my tee ball.  Watch out for those power lines!!   ;D

And if you do choose to "layup", its a completely blind approach.  :-X

#9)  Par 5 on the card, but really only a par 3.5 as the green is driveable for a big hitter.  The tee shot with the fairway at the bottom of the hill and the 4th fairway in the distance.

If you chose to go for the green, you must drive it back over the 8th tee!!  ::)

A look at the approach when playing the sane route below.

With ball in hole, hopefully, your round is done. Looking back up the fairway.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 12:37:12 AM by Kalen Braley »

Kyle Henderson

It certainly has the look of a Doak 0. They should start a Sherpa Golf Tour that includes this course, the 2nd nine at Rifle Creek Golf Course (CO),  and of course The Ranch (CA). All players must walk and carry.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Brent Carlson

Kalen,

I have never played this course.  Is it a poor man's Boutiful Ridge?  :D

Andy Troeger

I'd give it the "quirky fun" designation--it looks like a course you could play with just your irons or a few clubs. Hitting driver all over looks a little perilous. It doesn't look good, but its not supposed to be an architectural marvel either. Seems like a Doak 0 has to be something that had some potential to begin with...

Charlie Goerges

I must say, I agree with Kalen. It is definitely in the so bad it's good category in my book. I like the fact that the course combines absurd shots with absurd distances. I've played courses where the fairways were that narrow, but the holes were still very long. At least if you are expected to hit a 10 yard wide, double-diamond, switchback fairway, you've got the option of hitting a short iron to keep from losing a golf ball.

Thumbs-up, in a MST3K kind of way. Plus I think I would have fun at least the first couple of times.

Thanks for sharing the pictures,

Charlie
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Kalen Braley

You know I thought it was a Doak 0 the first time I played it too, but by the end of the round I was thinking to myself, man that sure was a lot of fun to play.  So i knew I had to do a course review. 

Crazy drop shots, massively blind shots, steep uphill shots, power lines in the way....and with the yardage on the card being completelty off on everyhole, its makes club selection of the tee "interesting".  But then again, with breath taking views of the entire area, only $20 to play it, and plenty of risk reward crazy shots its just a hoot you know.

Its hands down the oddest/wierdest course I've every played...but its kinda like that crazy girl in college.  Even though you know its never going to go anywhere, and heaven forbid you would never introduce her to the folks, she's still a lot of fun to hang around with and stuff.  ;D
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 11:04:02 PM by Kalen Braley »

Kyle Henderson

Doak Scale

"0. A course so contrived and unnatural that it may poison your mind, one I cannot recommend under any circumstances. Reserved for courses that wasted ridiculous sums of money in their construction, and probably shouldn’t have been built in the first place. "

There's nothing in that definition that says the course can't be a blast to play with the right mentality.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Charlie Goerges

Aww, you naysayers are probably right, I'd probably get cranky after hitting a couple of pretty good shots that ended up either stranded on a mountain or down an abyss. But at least no extra work will be required to turn a couple of the holes into sledding hills in the winter.

Charlie
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 11:22:57 PM by Charlie Goerges »
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Kalen Braley

Kyle,

I dig what your saying...I just have a problem with the "poison your mind" bit.  This course is quirk galore with many half par holes...hell just throw out par altogether cause they don't really mean anything except the obvious conventional par 3's.  Everthing else about the course is just find some damn way to get the ball in the hole. 

I can think of few courses where I've had more options off the tee and in the fairways than I did on this 9.

Alas your right, hard to justify it when eventually the 1st, 5th, and 7th holes will eventually slide away...but damn its fun!!  ;D

P.S.  Did you see the big water pipeline on the 2nd hole?  Good stuff huh?  ;)

Kalen Braley

Kalen,

I have never played this course.  Is it a poor man's Boutiful Ridge?  :D

Brent,

Actually its not because Bountiful Ridge is so damn cheap too.  I'd say its more a poor mans version of South Mountain, because while SM is worlds better in terms of playability and routing, it too sits along the side of a mountain.

David_Elvins

Looks like the American version of everyone's favourite quirky course, Painswick.

thanks for posting the pics, Kalen, that looks seriously cool.
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Mike_Cirba

Re: Cascade Fairways Mtn course - A Doak 0 or just quirky fun? - pics incld'd.
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2008, 11:34:30 PM »
Holy Freaking Cow, Kalen!

I love your description of the third hole where you claim "the goofyness starts"!   :o 

If the same architect didn't do both of those nines they are CLONES so it shouldn't matter...both DNA brothers should get equal billing.

I thought I was a fan of quirk...this course seems to be a litmus test of toleration for quirk!!  ;)

Yikes...I'm at a loss, Kalen.

Richard Boult

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2008, 11:39:40 PM »
Added to our GCA Photo Tour at:

http://delicious.com/golfclubatlas/Utah

Andy Troeger

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2008, 11:50:15 PM »
Kyle,
You could certainly argue this course should never have been built in the first place, but I highly doubt they wasted ridiculous sums of money based on their prices. If its fun, one could recommend it under some circumstances. If its not fun, then well...  ;D

I've only played one course I'd give a Doak 0. I've played at least 15 courses worse than that 0, but it earns the designation because it was built to be good and failed miserably. Most of the others are tiny local courses that never had a chance to begin with. This strikes me more that kind of category...I'd give them at least a 1 for charm.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2008, 12:12:38 AM »
Undoubtedly a high number for resistance to scoring. A juice inducing layout if ever I saw one.
I salute the team. Clearly the best course of it's kind in the world.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Kalen Braley

« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2008, 12:26:30 AM »
Mike C,

Interestly enough, the original 9 couldn't be more different than this 2nd 9.  Its a straight up and back course with only a couple of interesting holes....a 1 on the doak scale at best.  And even though the front is more conventional, I'd much rather play the mountain 9 any day of the week.  Once again, the "its so bad, its good" thing going on.

Adam,

It is indeed as punishing as it looks, while I wasn't playing bad on the day when I took these pics, my mediocre play lead to 7 lost balls on 9 holes.  Thats got to be some kind of record, even for me.  But then again, its so dang short, if one just plays smart, its easy to score well.  So what do you think.... any resemblances to Ballyneal?   ;D  ::)

Andrew Balakshin

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2008, 12:33:11 AM »
Does anyone else think it has a slight resemblance to Sun Rivers in BC?

Anthony Fowler

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2008, 12:40:45 AM »
It looks pretty awful, but we've all seen so many bland courses that this one actually seems appealing. I'd rather play this than the average public course which is not at all memorable. 

Rob Rigg

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2008, 01:38:42 AM »
It looks like a playstation video game golf course!  ;D

Holes wrapping around and over the mountain side, power lines, homes and buildings in the background, oil or natgas pipelines (???), no real par to be found, tee shots across other tee boxes - X-Files golf at its best.

Very cool - those pics are awesome.

TX Golf

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2008, 01:47:44 AM »
The whole idea of giving a course a "0" is kind of absurd to me. Is it really possible that a course doesn't offer ANY redeeming characteristics?? Hell, even if there are a few fun shots over the course of a round the course (golf) should receive a point or two!!! As long as the architecture allows the golfer to have some fun how can it receive a zero??

Robert
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 02:04:15 AM by Robert Warren »

Sean_A

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2008, 02:01:53 AM »
Visually, the course is a 0.  The land is wild, but wherever the archie is involved the features look dull as dishwater.  I am not saying this could be turned into a great course, the land is far too severe for that, but it could be much better looking and playable imo.  Its the sort of land that should probably be a par 3 course wit the odd par 3.5.  If it stuck to this formula I think this could be a very good course.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

TX Golf

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2008, 02:09:01 AM »
Sean,

I understand how the course might not be a classic beauty.... but how can it visually be a zero. The views in a few of those pictures look absolutely incredible (a common theme of course on an extremely hilly pieces of property). I am not positive of this because I have never played the course myself. However, if this is the case, how can it receive a zero in terms of the "visual aspect"??

Robert

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2008, 02:18:10 AM »
I actually looked at those photos and thought ..."mmm, I quite like to play that"... I like the idea of holing a six footer for an albatross.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

TX Golf

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2008, 02:18:55 AM »
Adrian,

I was thinking the same thing.

Robert

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2008, 02:51:10 AM »
On the plus side, the fairways look to be in wonderful condition.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back