News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Feature Interview with Ed Homsey regarding Walter Travis
« on: September 08, 2021, 02:18:59 PM »
https://golfclubatlas.com/feature-interview-with-ed-homsey/

Walter Travis's star has never shown brighter and has been stoked by the meritorious work of The Walter J. Travis Society (www.travissociety.com) , who has painstakingly collated reams of meaningful information about Travis to illuminate his impact on golf. The Society is older than GolfClubAtlas and Ed Homsey, this month's Feature Interviewee, has been its historian since its inception. Talk about a time commitment! :o Ed and The Society are truly altruistic - they disseminate information free-of-charge. Give the man credit; his is a noble cause, one which we should all support (there is a link to do so at the end of the Feature Interview).

For an architect to be heralded, his best work must be presented as he intended. While we should have interviewed Ed long ago, we did feature his friends Bob Labbance and Kevin Mendik in April, 2008. Many good things have occurred to Walter Travis golf courses since these three and the Society started sharing their research. Happily for Walter Travis and his legacy, several of his works including Cape Arundel and Hollywood GC are among the best presented courses in North America. Only a dolt would fail to be impressed by Travis's hazards and putting greens. Another course at peak is Garden City GC, where Travis drove a series of changes to Devereux Emmet's design. Play those three and you will become a devotee of Travis.

GCA.com is an architecture site, so the Interview centers around Travis's contributions to the game via his stellar writing and architecture. Ed shines light on less discussed Travis gems like Lookout Point, Pennhills and Cherry Hill in addition to others like Yahnundasis and Scranton that have started receiving their due within these discussion pages. One specific takeaway for me is Travis's affinity for ‘mounds and sand pockets.’ Bring them back! The black and white picture of the obstacle in the 15th fairway at Ed's home course, Stafford CC, is wildly appealing. I have never understood why more such rough-hewn central hazards don't populate courses. What a great feature – their return would be most welcome.

All good things must come to an end and Ed is in the process of handing over 'the keys to the kingdom' to Mike Cirba. The Society is in great hands but Ed deserves to take a deep and long bow: He made the sport better through his efforts.

Congratulations for an amazing 25+ year run at The Travis Society and for sharing with us the information contained in this month’s Feature Interview. He has spent half a lifetime obtaining such depth of knowledge and he shares it graciously in the public domain, where it will do the most good.

Best wishes to him and the Society moving forward.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2021, 08:01:16 AM by Ran Morrissett »

John Foley

Re: Feature Interview with Ed Homsey regarding Walter Travis
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2021, 08:09:39 PM »
Great interview. Stafford is a wonderful course. The original Travis greens are soo good. Would love to see a full restoration.

Not much on Pennhills in Bradford PA which should get more pub. Ian has done some work there and I hope he gets to do more.

As I mentioned Ran, these are some great places to see.
Integrity in the moment of choice

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2021, 09:46:37 PM »
Thanks Ed for many wonderful outings and friends over the years. And thanks to Mike Cirba for carrying the torch.

The scholarships of the Travis Society were very genuine and it made it easy to update my membership most every year. (Mike Cirba send me a reminder if I forgot.)

"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2021, 11:21:11 AM »
I met Ed, his wife Shirley, and Ralph Garnish around the turn of the millenium. We had lunch at Don Pablo's on Niagara Falls Boulevard in Amherst, NY. Our purpose was the discussion of my building a few pages for the Society on buffalogolfer.com, to house the society's efforts. It happened, and about six years one, they flew the coop and went on their own. I was happy for them, as I always wanted the WJTS to have its own site.

There is a fair amount of turnover in the Travis Society Treehouse these days, and it is fun to be a part of it. Mike will do a wonderful job as Historian, and Chip Capraro will shine as President, replacing Ralph when the two decide it is time. How fortunate I was to read The Old Man by Labbance and contact the WJTS.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Ed Homsey

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2021, 09:01:56 PM »
This has been an exciting time for me, given the opportunity to talk about the origins and accomplishments of the Walter J. Travis Society.  But, I am devastated by the fact that in my credits to those who contributed to the cause, I forgot to mentioned the person dearest to my heart.  My son, David Homsey, who designed the Travis Society and Travis Cup logos, and who designed and set-up the Travis Society website.  Plus, he gave his old Dad the kind of emotional support that only a loving son can give. 

mark chalfant

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2021, 11:00:54 PM »
Ran and Ed,

Thank you for this informative interview. Ed's contributions to Golden Age research into Travis and others is magnificent. He is helpful to so many other researchers.

Ed is intelligent, thoughtful and a truth seeker. A humble giant with a love of the game. Thank you Ed for your efforts to shine a light on Walter Travis splendid golf architecture

Congrats to Mike Cirba for his new position as historian
« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 08:23:59 AM by mark chalfant »

MCirba

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2021, 10:04:27 AM »
Congratulations to Ed Homsey (and Ran) on such an engaging interview.   Ed is truly a treasure of knowledge about The Old Man and his incredibly under-rated, misunderstood, and over-simplified role in the early history of the game in America.

Travis was a Titan.

Thank you to everyone who has welcomed me to this new role but I'd like to make one thing very clear.   No one can ever replace Ed or even hope to step into his shoes in terms of his extensive research, collection of archival materials, endless curiosity, child-like fascination, and level-headed judgment in terms of the Travis Society.   My role is to just keep the trajectory Ed energized over the past decades moving forward to share with a new generation of golf course architecture, and golf game aficionados, Travis-club members, and interested parties.   I am humbled by the honor.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 02:16:48 PM by MCirba »
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Matt Bosela

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2021, 12:53:49 PM »
What a wonderful interview, one of the finest I've read on this site.  Thanks to Ed and Ran for publishing such an engaging conversation.

As a proud member of Lookout Point CC just outside Niagara Falls, Ontario, I just want to extend an open invitation to anyone here at GCA who would like to visit this fantastic representation of Walter Travis' genius.  I would be honored to show off the course to anyone who finds themselves in the Niagara region.

At some point soon, I'll have to put together a course profile of Lookout Point and post it here, whether as a photo tour on the discussion board, or perhaps an "In My Opinion" piece.

Tim Martin

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2021, 04:06:08 PM »
What a wonderful interview, one of the finest I've read on this site.  Thanks to Ed and Ran for publishing such an engaging conversation.

As a proud member of Lookout Point CC just outside Niagara Falls, Ontario, I just want to extend an open invitation to anyone here at GCA who would like to visit this fantastic representation of Walter Travis' genius.  I would be honored to show off the course to anyone who finds themselves in the Niagara region.

At some point soon, I'll have to put together a course profile of Lookout Point whether as a photo tour on the discussion board, or perhaps an "In My Opinion" piece.

Matt-I would love to make the trip from New England to play Lookout Point down the line. Hard to believe seven years have elapsed since that terrific day at Augusta CC courtesy of Mark Pritchett during Masters week. I hope all is well.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 04:11:59 PM by Tim Martin »

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2021, 08:42:55 AM »
Tim Martin and I played Travis' Country Club of Troy, near Albany, NY. Untouched greens, protected by Bruce Hepner (formerly an associate at Renaissance Golf) and loads of fun. This was a decade ago, if a day. Yet another, under-the-radar WTJ design worth a visit.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Matt Bosela

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2021, 11:12:00 AM »

At some point soon, I'll have to put together a course profile of Lookout Point whether as a photo tour on the discussion board, or perhaps an "In My Opinion" piece.

Matt-I would love to make the trip from New England to play Lookout Point down the line. Hard to believe seven years have elapsed since that terrific day at Augusta CC courtesy of Mark Pritchett during Masters week. I hope all is well.

That was a great day and I can still remember the great dinner as well that evening.  Good times and yes, crazy how time flies.  Would love to host you Tim - open invite - let me know if you are thinking of venturing into the Niagara area and we'll set it up.

MCirba

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2021, 01:07:31 PM »
Yesterday the annual Walter J. Travis Society meeting was held at the Country Club of Scranton with a nice turnout on a terrific golf course.   I'd like to use this opportunity to encourage anyone with an interest in golf course architecture to become a member of the society even if you aren't a member of a Travis-designed golf course or club.

The cool thing about Travis is that his architectural influence in the early game in America most likely affects you and your course today whether you know it or not.   As an early and vocal advocate for what he termed "scientific design" to replace the cross-bunkered "steeplechase" courses that mostly existed at the time, he was one of the first pioneers who brought strategic thinking into American golf, and his bold creations that defended his courses "at the green" still resonate today.

For anyone who hasn't had the opportunity to read a series of articles I published here about Travis and his role in the creation of the National Golf Links of America, I think you'll find them a fascinating and compelling story about some of the growing pains of early American golf and I'm rather proud of them.   Thanks in advance and please let me know any questions.

https://golfclubatlas.com/in-my-opinion/cirba-mike-walter-j-travis-dropped-at-national-golf-links-of-america-truth-or-travesty-part-one/

https://golfclubatlas.com/in-my-opinion/cirba-mike-walter-j-travis-dropped-at-national-golf-links-of-america-truth-or-travesty-part-two/

https://golfclubatlas.com/in-my-opinion/cirba-mike-walter-j-travis-dropped-at-national-golf-links-of-america-truth-or-travesty-part-three/

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2021, 06:46:40 AM »
Great interview with Ed! I have been lucky to have received a guided tour of Stanford w Ed, and we have stayed In touch about all things Travis since then. A super sweet man, he has been very generous with his time and I wish him all the luck in the future. And if you are on Facebook i suggest you check out all the Travis stuff he posts on there w Mike regularly.

MCirba

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2021, 05:37:19 PM »
Great interview with Ed! I have been lucky to have received a guided tour of Stanford w Ed, and we have stayed In touch about all things Travis since then. A super sweet man, he has been very generous with his time and I wish him all the luck in the future. And if you are on Facebook i suggest you check out all the Travis stuff he posts on there w Mike regularly.

Jaeger,

I saw Chip Capraro at Scranton and he sends his very best wishes.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2021, 10:40:05 AM »
Great interview. Stafford is a wonderful course. The original Travis greens are soo good. Would love to see a full restoration.

Not much on Pennhills in Bradford PA which should get more pub. Ian has done some work there and I hope he gets to do more.

As I mentioned Ran, these are some great places to see.

I'd like to blow up the 11th green!! ;D
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Ed Homsey

« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2021, 09:35:23 PM »
Please don't, Rob.  It never failed to delight me with its wonderfully intriguing and challenging contours.  A Travis masterpiece in my opinion, but I have to admit that you're not the first that suggested planting an explosive device in its guts.  Actually, just one ther person, so in my experience, you're overruled.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back