News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Elvins

Re: Who Are You Guys - Alphabetical links
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2010, 07:37:08 PM »
Great stuff George.

Funny to think that people I think of in my head as new members to the discussion have been here for 7 years.  How time flies.  

Although, if I had've known that my post would be linked backed to, I might have done a better job of it. 
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 07:38:44 PM by David_Elvins »
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2010, 07:54:34 PM »
For me the biggest surprises are to see who hasn't put up a bit of information about themselves...

Dale Jackson

« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2010, 01:33:04 AM »
George, this is a very welcome endeavour!  I don't think we have a poster of the year, but with this and the GTK thread, you should be the inaugural winner.
I've seen an architecture, something new, that has been in my mind for years and I am glad to see a man with A.V. Macan's ability to bring it out. - Gene Sarazen

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2010, 03:32:24 AM »
George,
Can you incorporate my "profile" below in your "Who are you guys" listing when you have the time. I am sure that the listing will be a boon to GCAers.

Thanks Colin

Name:       Colin Macqueen
Reside:      Brisbane, Australia   
Education:      B.Sc. Australian National University
Married:      Have been - Twice
Children:      Two girls and identical twin grandsons; I will be their caddy.
Home course:   Indooroopilly Golf Club, Brisbane
Handicap:      13
Other interests:   Reading and playing bridge

I was born in Edinburgh Scotland. I am a golf tragic. My mother, in the bay window of our home in 1953, had me sitting on her knee overlooking the 18th. green at Carnoustie as Ben Hogan putted out to win The Open. The rest is history as they say but I do blame my mother for the parlous situation I find myself in. My first game of golf was played as a twelve year old on The Burnside course adjoining Carnoustie and my first drive on a golf course was a majestic slice that landed on the Aberdeen to Edinburgh railway line. I have had an avid interest in golf course architecture and maintenance  for the last twenty years but have no professional connection in this regard. I stumbled onto GCA website and have been mightily entertained. The threads here have entranced me both from the point of view of the information being parlayed as well as the characters involved in the discussions. 
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

George Pazin

« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2010, 09:35:46 AM »
Colin, I'll happily add your post in.

To others who have inquired, you likely posted on the other big thread, "Who are you guys.......really?". That one is 14 pages and I'm about 5-6 pages into it.

Steve, I appreciate your concern, though you are hopelessly behind if you're just realizing my nerdish tendencies now. :) As I mentioned earlier, I tend to work in bursts while doing things at my shop that require time. Pop a screen on the exposure machine, do a few links, grab screen, rinse, do a few links, blow out screen, put the next one one. Repeat as needed.

David Elvins, I've noticed the same thing. People I thought were relative newbies frequently posted their info in 2004 or 2005. Time flies, I guess.

Phil Young, I had a similar observation. In retrospect, I'm surprised as many folks shared as much as they have.

Gotta go put a screen on the exposure machine....
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 09:37:25 AM by George Pazin »
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

George Pazin

« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2010, 12:20:53 PM »
Okay, theoretically, the "Who Are You Guys (revisited)?" and "Who Are You Guys......really?" threads have been combined. Damn, that was a lot of cutting and pasting, so I'm sure there are mistakes in there. If you come across one, keep it to yourself! Just kidding, let me know and I'll fix it.

Gotta go have a beer or three after that mess... perks 'o being the boss.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

RJ_Daley

« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2010, 01:12:48 PM »
George, my good man.  Have you forgotten "one" of Golf's Most Beloved Figures!!!  I was looking at the big kahuna's original modest profile, and am astounded at the changes that have transpired in his life.  To wit:  He is now "the one" GMBF, and is currently operating his international man of intrique operations in an enclave in Southern Pines in North Carolina.  A man of such low keyed profile in a sea of extrovert golf afficianados...

Ran Morrissett
  posted February 03, 2000 06:44 PM           
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All around good guy, some say "one of golf's most loved figure." Live in Sydney, Australia. Married to an Aussie and we have a five month old daughter named MacKenzie  Handicap of six. Member in good standing at Newcastle GC, Stockton, Australia. 36 years old. Have been fortunate to play golf in several different parts of the world.

Who needs facebook when we have George to keep this stuff organized within the only real community that counts?  Did you have one or three on your break?  ;) ::) ;D 8)

No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

George Pazin

« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2010, 01:37:05 PM »
George, my good man.  Have you forgotten "one" of Golf's Most Beloved Figures!!!  I was looking at the big kahuna's original modest profile, and am astounded at the changes that have transpired in his life.  To wit:  He is now "the one" GMBF, and is currently operating his international man of intrique operations in an enclave in Southern Pines in North Carolina.  A man of such low keyed profile in a sea of extrovert golf afficianados...

Ran Morrissett
  posted February 03, 2000 06:44 PM           
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All around good guy, some say "one of golf's most loved figure." Live in Sydney, Australia. Married to an Aussie and we have a five month old daughter named MacKenzie  Handicap of six. Member in good standing at Newcastle GC, Stockton, Australia. 36 years old. Have been fortunate to play golf in several different parts of the world.

Who needs facebook when we have George to keep this stuff organized within the only real community that counts?  Did you have one or three on your break?  ;) ::) ;D 8)

That's from the oldest thread. I don't know if I can link to those posts, or if I will have the energy to try... :)

Zero, on the last question, figured I'd wait a bit. Might need to break out the hard stuff.

JLahrman

« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2010, 08:27:48 PM »
Bump, there is no reason to let this fall off the first page.

Steve Kline

« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2010, 06:21:05 AM »
It's been joked that this is the best online dating service. It would be great to have another link at the top (in the row of Courses by Country and Discussion Group) that is Who are You with all of us listed by area and/or alphabetically. For those are interested in playing with others that come to your area you could make that known.

George Pazin

« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2010, 10:44:51 AM »
Steve, some time ago - about 5 years ago, I'm guessing - someone started a thread called "WHERE are you guys?", which linked to a map that allowed you to put a little marker on and attach a photo. (That's how I remember the time, my photo was of me and my son when he was an infant). I haven't been able to find that thread - I kinda think Turboe started it, but I could be wrong about that.

If anyone can provide a link, it would be much appreciated.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2010, 10:31:51 AM »
Steve, some time ago - about 5 years ago, I'm guessing - someone started a thread called "WHERE are you guys?", which linked to a map that allowed you to put a little marker on and attach a photo. (That's how I remember the time, my photo was of me and my son when he was an infant). I haven't been able to find that thread - I kinda think Turboe started it, but I could be wrong about that.

If anyone can provide a link, it would be much appreciated.

I doubt it was Turboe. He's sales and marketing. Not a geek like you. (emoticon omitted)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Scott Warren

« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2011, 09:27:19 PM »
Bump.

Paul Richards

« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2011, 07:49:12 AM »
Didn't see my name on your list, George.
javascript:void(0);
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

George Pazin

« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2011, 09:23:58 AM »
In order for anyone to be linked to, he has to first post info on one of the Who Are You Guys? threads, such as:

Who Are You Guys(revisited)?

or

Who are you guys.......really?

When you post info on one of those, then I link to it. If you are not appearing on this master list, then you probably didn't post on one of those threads, or I might have missed your post. If you posted on the thread previously, let me know which page you're on and I'll link to it. Or post new on one of the threads and I'll link to that.

Hope that helps!

:)

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2011, 07:15:06 PM »
Bumping for all the newer members As George said, if you go to the first entry you can then click on one of the three threads
(who are..; revisited, etc) and tell us about you, or search the alpha list to discover stuff about us.

George Pazin

« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2011, 04:35:13 PM »
No one has bumped this for awhile, thought it might help some newer posters.

michael damico

« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2011, 06:49:38 PM »
did just that George...

Michael Damico
Reside:      Denver, CO
Born and Raised:         Rochester, NY  
Education:      B.S. Environmental Design/Architecture   Univ. Buffalo
                    M.L.A. Univ. of Colorado
Married:      not yet
Home course:   ?? Wherever is cheapest, quite possibly
Handicap:      never established one...around 12 or so now
Other interests:   music, beer, hockey, skiing, soccer, bocce, frisbee, bowling, reading, gardening

Born in Rochester, NY I grew up playing a local muni redesigned and re-routed by RTJ Sr. and a small par 3 course with my great grandfather. My best buddy was a member at Monroe C.C. and we would spend every day in the summers of middle school playing numerous holes (avg. of 54/day) with him and our other buddy as the head pro only knew Tommy had 2 siblings; much to our chagrin, he knew not that they were sisters. That went well until Mr. Murva (the pro) came out one blistering afternoon and found Tommy finishing up our second loop without shoes and shirt, Joe shirtless and myself sans cleats and shirt. As I grew older and attended the Jesuit school in the area, I was introduced to all the high end clubs of the area (mostly Ross's). I would later find myself travelling around following a music act and during the days on the road, would subject my buddies to brief walkthroughs of several courses of the NE. Went on to school and recalled reading Bury Me in a Pot Bunker sophomore yr of high school and it was then that I began searching for the 'classics' - which Doak's Anatomy helped to break the ice. I learned that Ross was originally a green keeper and so I started to work on maintenance crews - thinking well, shit, if you're gonna one day be designing them, you better damn well know how they're maintained (and later, built). Worked serveral years at Oak Hill, studying the course and making friends with future superintendents, all the while trying to absorb as much information as possible.

Moved out to Denver for grad school and continued to work maintenance. (Un)fortunately received Renaissance's internship at just the right time. Worked maintenance at CommonGround as things were slow and it offered insight into a smaller maintenance budget. After moving back to Rochester to base myself, I continued to work maintenance in between waiting for anything Renaissance could throw my way; I worked at the local muni I grew up playing on, to again, gain even more perspective on an extremely tight maintenance budget.

It is my overall professional goal to redesign municipal courses...that is if the opportunity ever arises. I was then just recently called by a buddy I made in grad school offering me a job back in Denver...and here I am.

I hope one day public golf is revered as much as I read about of the Old Course
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 02:23:54 PM by michael damico »
"without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible"
                                                                -fz

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2011, 07:17:36 PM »
Wayne Wiggins, Jr.
Age 34
Occupation: Owner/President - Publishers Representative firm in San Francisco
Reside in San Francisco
Married, no children
Grew up in Philadelphia area (Media) before moving to SF in 1997... and it wasn't even for a dot-com job!
Villanova University (1992) after a beer or two at the U. of Maryland.
Member of Aronimink GC - Newtown Square, PA (and hoping to find a "home" in San Francisco )
Handicap - 11

Found this sight accidentally and have been hooked ever since.  In fact, everyday, after logging onto the Philly Inquirer site to check on our lovable losers (i.e. Phils, Sixers, Flyers, and Iggles), I come straight to here!  Then it's straight to work!!!

I've had the opportunity to play some great courses across the country, and look forward to playing many more.  Much to wife's dismay, golf is always a central theme to our vacation/travel plans.  Plus, since "joining" this community I've started to play and view courses with an eye for the architecture.  Although, I'm not sure if that's helped my game that much.

Favorite Courses: Aronimink (especially after our recent renovation, which seems hasn't generated as much positive hype from this gallery); Oakmont; Pasatiempo, Olympic; and Phila. Cricket.

Wow!  A lot has changed.  Was I really 34… that’s a long way’s back in the rearview mirror now.  And, crikey… the Phils won a World Series during that span too!!!

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2011, 09:51:13 PM »
George,

thanks for doing this. I couldn't find mine the last time I looked and now have an easy reference.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 09:53:20 PM by RSLivingston_III »
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

George Pazin

« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 10:24:18 AM by George Pazin »

George Pazin

« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2012, 11:00:25 AM »
Bumping for the newer posters. I tried to add people in when I noticed, send me a message if I missed you.

Also, for some reason I am now able to modify the early posts again, so I added the people from the previous post.

Enjoy. Revel. Don't start trouble. :)

George Pazin

« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2012, 11:20:13 AM »
Bumping for newer posters. Not able to modify the early links, they have gotten too big, so I'll be adding newer posters to the post a few above mine.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2013, 12:48:43 PM »
Bumped so new guys can post their info. I save this link in my favorites.

Jim Sherma

« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2013, 02:06:06 PM »
Just posted on the original thread that these linked to.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back