News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George Pazin

Starting Tues, 4/20 - Get To Know Alex Miller
« on: April 19, 2010, 02:09:06 PM »
And no, there's no significance to Alex being on 420. :)

Quick note on the series: I think it's going well, but I will say, my own thread reminded me of how important it is that everyone understand what the goal is - obviously, getting to know your fellow posters better. You may not believe this, but I'm actually a very private person who shuns attention at all turns, so my thread was kind of uncomfortable for me, but I tried to share as best I could. Keep that in mind the next time you think maybe someone is just seeking attention on any thread. Remember, the other goal of this series is to have better discussions on all threads.

On to our young friend, Alex. First brought to my attention by my fellow Burgh man, Ryan Farrow - whom we will see soon - Alex came on my radar screen sometime last year, when I started noticing his posts. He often brings the fresh perspective of a young man's eyes, which is a welcome thing in my book.

Currently studying in San Diego - yeah, like I believe anyone in San Diego does anything other than enjoy the paradise! - Alex has agreed to do a thread. Please welcome Alex with some interesting questions.

Play nice!

-----

On deck: Ryan, if he's available, gotta message him

5 most recent:

George Pazin

Jeff Mingay

Joe Bausch

Gary Slatter

Joel Zuckerman

Full list:

GTK participants
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Garland Bayley

Re: Starting Tues, 4/20 - Get To Know Alex Miller
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 02:50:25 PM »
Alex,

Is it true that San Diego is second in livability only to Pittsburgh?
Or, does it rank further down the list? Like below Portland? Remember, livability usually means a smaller dependence on cars. ;)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Anthony Gray

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 03:12:57 PM »

Alex,

Ever been to Tiajauna?

How old are you?

Golf idols?

Favorite GCA thread?

Thanks....Anthony

jonathan_becker

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 03:19:59 PM »
George,

The dispensaries are going to be packed tomorrow!!  :D

Alex,

What are your favorite places to play in SoCal? 

What's the #1 course that you want to play in California that you haven't played? (other than CP, if you haven't already played it)

In-N-Out, Fatburger, Angelo's, Tommy Burger, or the $6 Carl's Jr burger?  My bro lives in San Diego and the $6 burger is his fav.

I've played Stone Eagle and Maderas in SoCal and that's it.  Opposite ends on that spectrum for sure....have you played either?

Finally, I just want to say that with you being a younger poster, you seem to not lose your cool when people challenge your thoughts and that's commendable.  Example: I thought you handled yourself well in the WGT thread.

Thanks,

Jonathan

George Pazin

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 03:27:31 PM »
Standard questions apply:

What brought you to golf?

Golf course architecture?

This website?
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Alex Miller

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 05:29:05 PM »
Hi all,

First thanks to George for the opportunity. I'm 20 yrs old, been playing golf for 12 years and though I only play once every other week or so I still get around close to par.

What Brought me to golf?

Well, Christmas of '97, yes '97, my best friend got the now rarely seen PGA Tour Golf (sans Tiger Woods). I knew about Tiger winning the Masters earlier that year but had no real appreciation or interest prior to this computer game. Since my friend and I enjoyed math, we loved the game (since that's all it really is). Luckily for us, he lived across the street from Palos Verdes Golf Club, a nice George Thomas / Billy Bell course that goes often overlooked. His grandpa is a member and took us to hit balls. I guess I had some talent, I am a natural lefty and that's supposed to help. I played junior tournaments off and on but mostly I enjoy the game for what it is.

Golf course architecture? This Website?

I stumbled upon this site 2 years ago while looking for info on a course (I don't remember which one). I looked at all the profiles and only discovered the discussion group less than a year ago. It took me some time to realize that I was interested in the architecture side of things, but I admit I was a golf course doodler since age 10, so there you go. In fact we had a project in fifth grade where we were given a million dollars (hypothetically  ;) ) and we had to spend it on something we wanted, but the purpose was for us to provide detailed costs and give our motivation for doing so. I decided that I wanted to build a golf course. I found a parcel of land in Palm Springs, contacted the ASGCA and spoke to someone ( I don't remember the name, could be a GCAer for all I know) and he told me what costs were like for construction. My course ended up being only nine holes but I gained an appreciation for what it takes to build a golf course back then.

Alex Miller

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 05:37:27 PM »
Anthony, no I've never been to Tijuana. Why would anyone want to leave paradise?  ;D

Garland, San Diego is pretty liveable, and I don't have a car! Getting one for next year though, but being in school I have free access to the public transit. A bus can take you right to Torrey Pines!

Jonathan, Your brother is wrong. Dead wrong. Why he would choose that over the less expensive, fresher, likely healthier, and of course, better Double Double with fries and a coke (that's all for $5.95) is beyond me.

I appreciate the sentiment about my posts. I really just want to get my opinions out there, as wrong as they may be, but I don't want to fly off the handle and have it live forever in internet infamy! Melvyn also had a thread about "The lie of the ground has been retained in all cases" in which I was up against MHM and Tom Doak. Pretty Intimidating. I'll try to find the link, but perhaps not so coincidentally George contacted me after that asking about doing a GTK thread.  :)

Here it is: http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,42846.0/
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 07:51:11 PM by Alex Miller »

Alex Miller

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 07:58:07 PM »
George,

The dispensaries are going to be packed tomorrow!!  :D

Alex,

What are your favorite places to play in SoCal? 

What's the #1 course that you want to play in California that you haven't played? (other than CP, if you haven't already played it)

Thanks,

Jonathan

My home course growing up was Los Verdes Golf Course, the second most played 18 hole facility in the US. So I would say I'm pretty patient  :)

Favorites of mine in SoCal include: Public: Rustic Canyon, Barona, Torrey Pines (it's not as bad as the posters on here would have you believe)
To be honest Southern California has some really horrible public golf options (I've played most of them), but at least you can play them all year long!

Private: LACC North, Riviera, Palos Verdes GC. In northern Cal I've played Harding Park and Lake Merced CC. Both were quite enjoyable.

And yeah, the course I would most like to play would be CPC, followed by Olympic, Pebble, SFGC, Spyglass... many others :)

Chris Flamion

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 11:13:20 PM »
Alex-

From someone who lives in Chicago, I hope you get snow this winter. 

Moving on,

What is your favorite little feature on a golf course that most players would overlook?

Have you been down to Coronado Golf? thoughts?

Favorite golf memory?

Thanks for doing the thread
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 11:15:21 PM by Chris Flamion »

Alex Miller

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 11:40:40 PM »
Alex-

From someone who lives in Chicago, I hope you get snow this winter. 

Moving on,

What is your favorite little feature on a golf course that most players would overlook?

Have you been down to Coronado Golf? thoughts?

Favorite golf memory?

Thanks for doing the thread

If it's any consolation I hope you don't get any snow! Btw, I've never lived with snow and the longest break from golf I've taken in my life has been no more than 6 weeks, so I consider myself very lucky.

I've never been to Coronado but I will play it someday, soon.  :D

My favorite little feature that most players overlook? Hmmm, never been asked that before. Well first of all, I think most golfers would overlook 95% of the things a GCA does, but personally I look a lot at the bunkers. Not just the maintenance or the condition they are kept in, but what they do to the golf hole visually. I think the best GCAs are the ones who can intimidate the player but still give them an opportunity to succeed. I am a huge fan of Mackenzie's bunkers (as are many) and even though some of them play a lesser role in strategy now because of technology, they still play games with the golfers head when you look at them. And they're also beautiful. Competitors often fail to appreciate this because not only are they trying to avoid the bunkers, but they just see them as part of the yardage book.

Which brings me to....
Favorite Golf Memory?

My favorite golf experience (ok, memory) has to be from 2008, my senior year in high school. A bit of background, I finally "broke through" that spring on my HS golf team. I lowered my scoring average by 3 shots per 9 holes and set the school record for scoring avg and finished second in the league. The culmination of all this was not advancing in CIF (California Interscholastic Federation) playoffs, but rather my first USGA event. I entered a U.S. Open local qualifier at North Ranch Country Club. 4 spots for 90+ men. I don't want to go into too much detail now because this thread just started, but I played the best competitive round of golf I ever had and shot even par 70 on a USGA set up course. I finished 3rd alone and advanced, completely unexpectedly. I'll never forget that day, nor the Sectional qualifier a few weeks later, but that's for another time.  ;)

Garland Bayley

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2010, 11:06:35 AM »
Any chance you will sign up for Kings Putter, and send one Jordan Wall home with his tail between his legs?

Any chance you will wear orange knickers if Anthony gives you some?

What size pants do you wear?

How do you know Ryan? Online only?

Ever play a Max Behr course?

Ever paint with Behr paint?

Do you like quirk and unpredictability, or do you like predictable like most scratch golfers?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

George Pazin

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2010, 11:31:29 AM »
Which brings me to....
Favorite Golf Memory?

My favorite golf experience (ok, memory) has to be from 2008, my senior year in high school. A bit of background, I finally "broke through" that spring on my HS golf team. I lowered my scoring average by 3 shots per 9 holes and set the school record for scoring avg and finished second in the league. The culmination of all this was not advancing in CIF (California Interscholastic Federation) playoffs, but rather my first USGA event. I entered a U.S. Open local qualifier at North Ranch Country Club. 4 spots for 90+ men. I don't want to go into too much detail now because this thread just started, but I played the best competitive round of golf I ever had and shot even par 70 on a USGA set up course. I finished 3rd alone and advanced, completely unexpectedly. I'll never forget that day, nor the Sectional qualifier a few weeks later, but that's for another time.  ;)

Wow, this is totally awesome, nicely done.

Have you always lived in San Diego? If so, do you know what life in the real world is like? :)

I've been to TJ a couple times, once boring, once a lot of fun with a UCSD coed who knew where to go. Not sure I'd go back, though.

What are you studying now?

I remember watching the Michigan/Seton Hall final in 89 at a bar near San Diego State, it was a great time, even though the wrong team won, thanks to a phantom call.

Alex Miller

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2010, 01:33:06 PM »
Any chance you will wear orange knickers if Anthony gives you some?

I've got an orange shirt so I feel I'm pretty much set.

What size pants do you wear?

33/34. Please don't send me any pants!

How do you know Ryan? Online only?

Yes, online only. I'm afraid I have yet to meet a GCAer in person.

Ever play a Max Behr course?

Yes actually. I've played Brentwood CC numerous times. I don't think it looks a lot like the original, but I once saw a match on the golf channel, I think it was Challenge Golf, where a Marx brother played against a pro on the back nine there. It was recognizable.

Ever paint with Behr paint?

Probably.

Do you like quirk and unpredictability, or do you like predictable like most scratch golfers?

Well I like Torrey Pines more than most posters on here which is partly because the shot values are different to me than the avg golfer. But I do love quirk and unpredictability if it's good architecture. I played Pechanga a couple weeks back and that had quirk which didn't enhance the course at all, but some quirk I have enjoyed: #10 at Riviera, my entire trip to Bandon, many of the holes I designed in the AAC  :D

Oh, and no King's Putter this year.  :'(
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 05:28:07 PM by Alex Miller »

Jason Topp

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2010, 04:08:57 PM »
Alex:

I was invited to a golf trip with the following itinerary:

Golf Thursday afternoon will be at the Torrey Pines South golf course; golf Friday will be at the Grand Del Mar Golf Club; and golf Saturday will be at Maderas Golf Club.  The Torrey Pines South course was host of the 2008 US Open, and is rated the 23rd best "course you can play" by Golf Magazine.  The Grand Del Mar Golf Club is a private club designed by Tom Fazio.  It is rated the top golf resort in San Diego, and in the top 100 golf resorts by Conde Nast.  Maderas Golf Club was designed by Johnny Miller and Robert Muir Graves, and is rated the number one course in San Diego County by Zagat. 

I will not be taking the trip (it conflicts with BUDA) but the itinerary surprised me a bit.  We usually have played one very good to great course (Black Mesa, Kiawah Ocean the last two years) and some sold additional courses.  Torrey South fills the bill for the big time course but I have not heard of the others.

What do you think of the lineup?  How would you modify it for a group of non-GCA people with handicaps ranging from +1 to 25 with quality of course and keeping costs relatively reasonable as significant factors?

Alex Miller

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2010, 05:42:03 PM »
Alex:

I was invited to a golf trip with the following itinerary:

Golf Thursday afternoon will be at the Torrey Pines South golf course; golf Friday will be at the Grand Del Mar Golf Club; and golf Saturday will be at Maderas Golf Club.  The Torrey Pines South course was host of the 2008 US Open, and is rated the 23rd best "course you can play" by Golf Magazine.  The Grand Del Mar Golf Club is a private club designed by Tom Fazio.  It is rated the top golf resort in San Diego, and in the top 100 golf resorts by Conde Nast.  Maderas Golf Club was designed by Johnny Miller and Robert Muir Graves, and is rated the number one course in San Diego County by Zagat. 

I will not be taking the trip (it conflicts with BUDA) but the itinerary surprised me a bit.  We usually have played one very good to great course (Black Mesa, Kiawah Ocean the last two years) and some sold additional courses.  Torrey South fills the bill for the big time course but I have not heard of the others.

What do you think of the lineup?  How would you modify it for a group of non-GCA people with handicaps ranging from +1 to 25 with quality of course and keeping costs relatively reasonable as significant factors?

Well I think you might have picked 3 of 4 of the highest priced courses in San Diego, with Aviara being left out. Torrey South is definitely worth a play once. I got to play the Grand Del Mar this past fall, but didn't have to pay for it! I don't think it's worth what they charge, though it's a very nice resort course. I don't know where you would be staying but Barona is worth the drive (40-50min.) and the money (~$100). Maderas is also a good course. I played it only once but would definitely get out there again if I could. Same price as Barona I think and while not as good a course, still one of the better ones around.

George Pazin

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2010, 03:04:19 PM »
bump, didn't know if you saw my follow up questions.

Alex Miller

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2010, 05:20:30 PM »

Have you always lived in San Diego? If so, do you know what life in the real world is like? :)

I've been to TJ a couple times, once boring, once a lot of fun with a UCSD coed who knew where to go. Not sure I'd go back, though.

I remember watching the Michigan/Seton Hall final in 89 at a bar near San Diego State, it was a great time, even though the wrong team won, thanks to a phantom call.

I grew up in L.A., specifically Palos Verdes. Even so, I guess I don't know what the real world is like because that is not too different from San Diego. I have been spoiled by good weather, but not necessarily by good golf architecture. You should know that I will still play golf even if it is not perfect outside. For instance, I've played in plenty of rain and wind and even in sub 40 degree weather.

I'm currently at UCSD pursuing a bachelor's in Biology, then probably grad school. Unfortunately that leaves less time for golf then I would like.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2010, 06:43:32 PM »

I grew up in L.A., specifically Palos Verdes. Even so, I guess I don't know what the real world is like because that is not too different from San Diego. I have been spoiled by good weather, but not necessarily by good golf architecture. You should know that I will still play golf even if it is not perfect outside. For instance, I've played in plenty of rain and wind and even in sub 40 degree weather.

I'm currently at UCSD pursuing a bachelor's in Biology, then probably grad school. Unfortunately that leaves less time for golf then I would like.

Biology?  Is your dad pretty smart?  I only ask because my daughter has an M.S. in cell molecular biology and I flunked out of engineering school.  Maybe it's not necessarily hereditary.

Where did you play high school golf?  Did you try out for the UCSD team?  I played for UCSB a very long time ago but just because college golf wasn't a big deal except at the reallly big name schools in those days.

Why do the Giants' bats go cold when they get to San Diego?

Alex Miller

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2010, 07:32:56 PM »

Biology?  Is your dad pretty smart?  I only ask because my daughter has an M.S. in cell molecular biology and I flunked out of engineering school.  Maybe it's not necessarily hereditary.

Where did you play high school golf?  Did you try out for the UCSD team?  I played for UCSB a very long time ago but just because college golf wasn't a big deal except at the reallly big name schools in those days.

Yeah, my Dad is a very smart guy and my mom is a very smart lady. I would love to claim intelligence as a hereditary trait because I'd have some pretty strong genes!

I played golf at Chadwick School, it's a smaller private school. We were pretty impressive considering we beat schools 10 times our size and there aren't divisions for California golf. I didn't try out for the UCSD team but I did speak to the coach. It just wasn't for me, though I still enjoy every round of golf I get to play.

I wasn't aware San Diego had a baseball team.  ;D No, I've been to a couple Padres game and while the team (minus Adrian Gonzalez) was unimpressive, it's one of the coolest stadiums I've ever been to.

By the way I'm an Angels fan so assuming you are a Giants fan I would like to remind you of 2002  ;D. While I feel sorry for u guys, remember that we probably saved baseball by winning, can't have Barry Bonds with a ring now can we?

Note: I'm a huge sports fan and always up for talking anything NFL NBA MLB PGA and even Soccer, well, once every four years.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2010, 11:47:18 PM »

Yeah, my Dad is a very smart guy and my mom is a very smart lady. I would love to claim intelligence as a hereditary trait because I'd have some pretty strong genes!

I played golf at Chadwick School, it's a smaller private school. We were pretty impressive considering we beat schools 10 times our size and there aren't divisions for California golf. I didn't try out for the UCSD team but I did speak to the coach. It just wasn't for me, though I still enjoy every round of golf I get to play.

I wasn't aware San Diego had a baseball team.  ;D No, I've been to a couple Padres game and while the team (minus Adrian Gonzalez) was unimpressive, it's one of the coolest stadiums I've ever been to.

By the way I'm an Angels fan so assuming you are a Giants fan I would like to remind you of 2002  ;D. While I feel sorry for u guys, remember that we probably saved baseball by winning, can't have Barry Bonds with a ring now can we?

Note: I'm a huge sports fan and always up for talking anything NFL NBA MLB PGA and even Soccer, well, once every four years.

You could have rambled on for months without bringing up the 2002 World Series.   >:(  Was it really that long ago?

George Pazin

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2010, 03:32:34 PM »
Alex, don't believe Bill, he is one sharp cookie.

I lived in SD for two years when I was very young - age 3 to 5, basically - don't remember too much, other than we lived in a development that overlooked the stadium.

I admired your stance in the thread you cited about changing the ground, but I still think you're wrong. :)

One of my best friends is a radiologist in SD, hopefully when I go out to visit him someday we can tee it up.

Did you ever tee it up with any current or future stars while playing in your high school matches?

What happened after you advanced in your story about the US Open qualifier?

Alex Miller

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2010, 04:20:05 PM »
Alex, don't believe Bill, he is one sharp cookie.

I lived in SD for two years when I was very young - age 3 to 5, basically - don't remember too much, other than we lived in a development that overlooked the stadium.

I admired your stance in the thread you cited about changing the ground, but I still think you're wrong. :)

One of my best friends is a radiologist in SD, hopefully when I go out to visit him someday we can tee it up.

Did you ever tee it up with any current or future stars while playing in your high school matches?

What happened after you advanced in your story about the US Open qualifier?

George, make sure you read my later posts, I do amend my stance a little, but I definitely got a lot of opposition.

I never played in his group, but played a couple tournies with Rickie Fowler. He had 6 birdies in a row in one of them. There was no doubt he would make it. Another guy who I have played with is Jake Sarnhoff. He's at Loyola Marymount I believe and he's another guy with an unorthodox swing who I would expect to turn pro.

After I advanced through that qualifier I played in the sectional at Lake Merced CC in Daly City (South San Francisco). It's neighbors to SFGC and Olympic, and although it's a fine course it doesn't get nearly the recognition (nor does it deserve it). I believe Mackenzie did some work there but I don't know who designed it originally.

Anyway, I didn't play nearly as well there, but I had a great time. I was so nervous on the first hole that I smothered one about 200 yards off the tee and 80 yards left (I hit driver  :)). I started with 2 doubles and was +7 thru 12. Then I'm not really sure what happened but I birdied 4 of my last 6 and got in with a 75, better than half the field. I shot 77 in the afternoon and finished respectably. It was all a very cool experience, especially since I was in the group behind Jason Gore!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2010, 04:27:38 PM »
Name dropper!
 :D

Alex Miller

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2010, 04:38:29 PM »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2010, 05:29:23 PM »
Name dropper!
 :D

The only one I can!  ;)

Rickie Fowler and Jason Gore. Which is the one not worth dropping? And which is the one worth dropping?

BTW, have I told you my side beat the Bill McBride and his partner at KP last year? How's that for name dropping?
;)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back