News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George Pazin

Starting Tues., 3/16/10 - GTK Gary Slatter
« on: March 15, 2010, 01:54:15 PM »
A bunch of people messaged me recently with suggestions (thanks), and Gary's name showed up on more than a couple. He has been kind enough to agree to do a thread, so please welcome him with questions.

Gary has been in the golf industry for an enviable amount of time. :) I look forward to reading about his playing experiences in professional events and his experiences in different areas of the world.

-----

On deck: Joe Bausch

5 most recent:

Joel Zuckerman

Patrick Hodgdon

Bryan Izatt

Philippe Binette

JC Jones

Full list:

GTK participants
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 11:41:10 AM by George Pazin »
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Anthony Gray

Re: Starting Tues., 3/16/10 - Get To Know Gary Slatter
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 02:24:25 PM »

Gary,

Canada,Scotland, The Carribean.....  where else have you been club pro?

As a professional golfer...how many countries have you competed in?

Best clubhouse hot dog?

Your weekly game at St Andrews include some big names. Care to mention some?

Favorite hockey team/player?

THanks for playing, looking foward to you shareing your experiences.

Anthony

George Pazin

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 04:32:56 PM »
Standard questions:

What brought you to golf?

Golf course architecture?

This site?

Plus one: Speaking as someone who has competed as a tour pro, how crazy are the OT golfer ranking debates we get into? :)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 04:40:13 PM »
I know Gary, a bit; toured him around Sagebrush when his son, Mark, was running 'dozer there for us.

I can't think of a specific question for Gary (at the moment); but, knowing what I know, I think of him as the "Forrest Gump of golf"... and, that's a compliment. Gary seems to get around and know more people in golf than nearly anyone I've met!

Which is why I look forward to following this thread  :)

For those interested, Gary writes a blog at this link, too: http://www.ontgolf.ca/oldpro/
jeffmingay.com

Anthony Gray

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 10:04:44 PM »

Why does Greg Chalmers think PB is a warm weather course?

Is Pb 8 your favorite PR 4?

eVER GOT A cRUDEN bAy Face-Lick?

Because of my learning ability I thought my last name was Gary for years,

Something most americans would be surprised to khow about Canada?

Can you speek french?

Where was Moonstruck fillmed?

Can you get alu goobi in Montraul?

Have you skiied at Grey Rocks? Did you have the pig knuckles and meat balls?

Why do I enjoy a round of golf even if I don't break 90?

Anthony

George Pazin

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 11:11:04 AM »
Thanks for sharing that, Jeff, I hope you can come up with some questions as well.

Thanks for the link to Gary's blog as well, that is really a thorough site, won't be the last time I check it out.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 12:07:45 PM by George Pazin »

George Pazin

Re: Starting Tues., 3/16/10 - GTK former tour pro Gary Slatter
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 01:38:47 PM »
Here is a link to the resort where Gary currently works:

http://www.canouanisland.com/

Gary, I heard it through the grapevine that you have played competitive rounds with greats like Ray Floyd - I'm sure I'm not alone in hearing more about this.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 01:41:40 PM by George Pazin »

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 01:41:01 PM »
Howdy Gary
Nice articles on your blog.

What makes Doral great?
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil & Tiger.

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 01:53:41 PM »

Gary,

We exchanged a few emails (or were they Imails?) a couple of years back in which you mentioned your relationship with Moe Norman and how the officials would often try to pair you with Moe in tournament rounds. I do not recall the details but that tells me you must have many Moe Norman stories you could share?

Hopefully all is well with you and from looking at the website of your current home, it appears as though you are quite well.

Bob Jenkins

Jason Topp

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 02:40:39 PM »
Gary

Nice Blog.  Nicer job location!

What is your teaching style?

What do you think some of the swing mechanics fads over the last few years: (1) stack and tilt; (2) one plane; (3) the Golf Machine.

Was Moe Norman a happy person?

What our your favorite five courses?

Anthony Gray

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2010, 03:07:55 PM »

Gary......for many years I thought Gary was my last name.

Anthony

Gary Slatter

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 09:53:22 AM »

Gary,

Best clubhouse hot dog?

Anthony

sorry I have been off line as my login wasn't working, Ben has given me a new password and will catch up later today!
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Gary Slatter

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2010, 09:59:32 AM »
George, I have never been a tour player, I have made a few tours though, always as a club professional moon-lighting for a week or so.

Gents, I am pleased to answer all the questions later today, have had login and computer problems (not island related!). I am honoured that there was response, I thought it might come up lame, people wanting to know more about moi.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

RJ_Daley

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2010, 10:11:55 AM »
It has been a while since I read it, and lent it out so I can't refer to it, but are you mentioned in the book about Moe Norman, "A feeling of greatness"?  How old are you Gary?

Is there some aspect of golf club culture in Canada that you could point to and say it is notably different than U.S. club golf?

Name three courses you would enjoy playing regularly, not just tough courses or stylish, but courses you would enjoy multiple rounds a week with friends because there is architecture enough to enjoy without being beaten up every day.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Gary Slatter

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2010, 10:35:31 AM »
Standard questions:

What brought you to golf?

Golf course architecture?

This site?

Plus one: Speaking as someone who has competed as a tour pro, how crazy are the OT golfer ranking debates we get into? :)

I was actually born in the clubhouse of the Huntsville Downs Golf Club in mid season, July 10 1945 and since my father was the GK and my mother ran the clubhouse I'm sure they both worked that day!   My father had worked as a labourer during the construction of St George's Golf Club in Toronto (he drove a team with a plow) and then he landed the job in Huntsville when Stanley Thompson did Huntsville Downs GC. So I got into golf the day I was born.

Golf course architecture was always of interest, starting when I found out how great Stanley Thompson was and my dad had actually been involved with many courses - he showed me the house he had lived on when working at Summit while I was playing in the Ontario Junior - I had no idea at that time.  I got more interested when I went to work in the Bahamas and played with Charles Price on the Dick Wilson designed Emerald Course. Charles got me interested by mentioning what Wilson did different on the Emerald and what he did the same as on all of his other courses.  We then played the Lucayan CC and Charles told me how Craig Wood had influenced Wilson when they worked together.  Craig Wood told me how they had used white silk sheets as turning points when laying out the course.

I got more interested when I opened a new Donald Haridine course in Corfu Greece in 1973.  Then I went back to Canada as HP at Bayview CC in Toronto and went through course renvovations when the club sold off a couple of holes for serious money.  when the National opened in Toronto I knew that it wasn't something special, it still is.

Throughout my career I wasn't really into the design of courses, only as how it influenced maintenance expenses.  I knew some courses were really better than others but never realized the pedigree of the designer was the difference.  I got to open the Mad River Golf Club (Bob Cupp) which when it opened in 1995 was great.  Unfortunately one of the three partners was also the super and he started to immediately improve the course by replacing bent with rye in the chipping areas aqnd various other ways to ease the play for the members.  I really got to like what Cupp had done, and enjoyed walking the course with him as he explained his reasoning.

I worked in Jamaica when the White Witch was being finished and opened Cinnamon Hill GC.  I still think CH is the better course and for the simple reason that Rick Baril got to use a great routing from the old course.  5 years later I went back to the Bahamas and got a chance to build the new Reef Club over the former Bahama Reef course.  This process, from finding an architect (from 33) to hiring the construction company (9) to opening on time for the PGA Senior Slam was fantastic.  

I found out about this site from Lorne Rubenstein originally and then realized that Ben was the same Ben Cowan Dewar that I had played with in Jamaica!   I can't stand some of the comments about golf carts but enjoy reading everyone's opinions. I met Richard Goodale and got to play Dornoch and Renaissance with him - super person with a fine family. One of my heros.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Carl Nichols

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2010, 10:43:04 AM »
Gary:
If you could only play one course for the rest of your life, which would you choose, and why?

George Pazin

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2010, 11:43:31 AM »
I was actually born in the clubhouse of the Huntsville Downs Golf Club in mid season, July 10 1945 and since my father was the GK and my mother ran the clubhouse I'm sure they both worked that day!   My father had worked as a labourer during the construction of St George's Golf Club in Toronto (he drove a team with a plow) and then he landed the job in Huntsville when Stanley Thompson did Huntsville Downs GC. So I got into golf the day I was born.

Probably the coolest intro to golf I've heard of!

Correction made on the tour pro thing, got a little misinformation.

More questions to follow!

Gary Slatter

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2010, 03:38:52 PM »
Gary:
If you could only play one course for the rest of your life, which would you choose, and why?
One course is pretty difficult as I feel I've enjoyed parts of every course.  MUIRFIELD or PRESTWICK seem to jump out (both are easy walks) but I have so many favourites.  I'd love to play Lucayan or the Emerald if it was 1969 again, the Emerald is gone forever and Lucayan is not in good shape. Cypress Point would be OK too! :)
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Gary Slatter

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2010, 04:05:57 PM »

Gary,

Best clubhouse hot dog?

Anthony

Third try Anthony - I keep getting bumped so I'll be brief:
Where have I been a pro:  Canada, Bahamas (GBI and Nassau and GBI again), Corfu Greece, Canada (Horsehoe Valley then Mad River), back to the Bahamas, then Montego Bay Jamaica (same GM), then Scotland (Fairmont St Andrewss Torrance and Devlin) and now Canouan Island in St Vincent & The Grenadines (same management as Fairmont).  Next, Canada! near grandchildren!

As a pro I have played in lots of countries but not always in competitions, luckily I worked with IGM and we did plenty corporate events.
My first flight was to the Bahamas then our golfshow TheSwings the Thing id a UK tour with John Jacobs and I got the travel bug. Best finish was 2nd in Danish Open in 1973 (first would have changed my future but never had the balls to play without a job!). Came 2nd in Canadian PGA and 10th in Italian Open at Ville d'este (still one of my top 100 courses).  I've played in 30 some countries.  with IGM we got to visit every top resort course in USA, Canada, Mexico - amazing how resorts never build staging areas for groups!

Best clubhouse hotdog - I would think it would have to be the halfway house at the National in Toronto (after 10th hole?).  I don;t think I've ever had a bad hotdog!  but now that I'm older I prefer a banana on the course, hot dog later. Living in the island so long you don't find many good hot dogs - none in Scotland either.  Cog Hill might be near the top (dogs and course).

I was lucky to be invited to play in the Thursday Club at St Andrews.  Up to 24 "members" but usually only 8 or 12 played every week. On my flight to Scotland I read George Pepers Two Years in St Andrews and the second day there I met Gordon Murray who introduced me to the boys, the St Andrews Golf Club and playing on Thursdays. Brilliant, good mix of tradesmen, George Peper (who referred to me as American every week, as in "we Americans take a lot of ...."    Most of the guys are normal people, one of them owns part of Liverpool FCand a Dallas Hockey team but the rest are just lovers of the green.  David Joy playes when his back is OK or when he's not somewhere in the world doing his Old Tom routines (which are really good).  Interestingly many of the statues of Old Tom are actually of David!  Gordon Murray is arriving here on Canoaun next Monday!  If ANYONE ever needs a contact in St Andrews let me know and I'll give you Gordon's email. He still lives on the 18th, above George.

Favourite hockey team?  I'm so far removed from the game - Bobby Orr has always been my favourite.  At one time we (CPGA golf pros) had a hockey team in the off season and it was pretty good, many old hockey players were also golf pros, good idea of Target so they could pick up the game quickly and in the old days they actually had to work in the summers.  I guess my favourite team right now is the Canadian Olympic Women's team although I think a good midget aged boys team could beat them!

enjoyed meeting you last summer Anthony, and no I have never had a Cruden Bay slurper, but then again I've never worn orange trousers into a farmers bar!
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Gary Slatter

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2010, 04:22:55 PM »

Why does Greg Chalmers think PB is a warm weather course?

Is Pb 8 your favorite PR 4?

eVER GOT A cRUDEN bAy Face-Lick?

Because of my learning ability I thought my last name was Gary for years,

Something most americans would be surprised to khow about Canada?

Can you speek french?

Where was Moonstruck fillmed?

Can you get alu goobi in Montraul?

Have you skiied at Grey Rocks? Did you have the pig knuckles and meat balls?

Why do I enjoy a round of golf even if I don't break 90?

Anthony

No idea about Chalmers thinking PB is a warm weather course.

I do like PB 8th hole, maybe not my favourite par four though, our 12th hole here is my new favourite!

Love Cruden Bay, please post your face lick picture again.

What would surprise americans about Canadians? Not sure, was the early bird special invited in Florida to take care of French Canadian visitors?  Canadians bitch about their healthcare - but try taking it away.   Canadians like Americans.  In Scotland I heard it almost every day that Scots and Canadians had the same problem, we hated the people who lived south of us.  I always said this is not true.  The future King of Britain asked me what part of america I was from (at Castle Course opening).  I said the Canadian part.

I can't speak french but can understand it (about the same as the french who say they can't understand english when we give them the rates). we have some great french canadians working here.

Was Moonstruck filmed in Brooklyn or Toronto? not sure, is that a trick question?

What is Aloo Goubo?

I have skiied Grey Rocks, one of my sons worked there asan instructor a couple winters.  Not sure if I had pig knuckles (although Kitchener Westmount is one of Canada's best courses and they have a great Octoberfest touney every year).

I don't enjoy a round if I can't break 90 but 99% of amateurs don't break 90 on a regular course.  I think in your case it's because you are enjoying yourself with 3 other great guys and you usually are playing a good track and can blame the score on your discussion about bunker placement.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Anthony Gray

Re: Starting Tues., 3/16/10 - GTK Gary Slatter
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2010, 06:21:37 PM »

Gary,

Thanks...very insightful and entertaining.

I loved Slapshot....is it the best hockey movie?

My favorite Hockey fouresome to golf with would be me and the three Hanson Brothers.What hockey players would fil out your foursome?

The day I played NGLA..Messier called but could not get on. Am I more famous?

How many holes-in one? Where?

Charles Blair Macdonald was born where?

Moonstruck was filmed in Toronto......very cool when the old man howled at the moon with tose dogs.

You've lived a very complete and blessed life with a wonderful wife....What is one thing you haven't done but want to?

Golf is great because of the people that play it.

Anthony

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2010, 10:13:40 PM »
Anthony,

I hate to break it to you, but you're not more famous than Messier... at least not in Canada, anyway  ;D
jeffmingay.com

Anthony Gray

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2010, 12:26:57 AM »
Anthony,

I hate to break it to you, but you're not more famous than Messier... at least not in Canada, anyway  ;D

That day on the first tee I was. Then again I was wearing orange shorts.

ARG

Will MacEwen

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2010, 12:42:28 AM »
Anthony,

Messier would have trouble getting on a muni in Vancouver.  His three years there were a sabbatical from hockey.

Scott Warren

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2010, 06:51:06 AM »
Gary,

I believe you got to play TOC semi-regularly when you were living in Fife. How did your appreciation of it change over time? Did you go through any periods of thinking you had it sussed that some speak about, before it got your number again?

What lesser-known course in Fife should more people visit?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back