News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George Pazin

Thanks everyone for the many suggestions sent my way, both on the input thread and via messages.

Patrick has been kind enough to agree to do a thread. His recent thread on Calusa Pines and Seminole drew some interesting discussion, which isn't surprising, as Seminole always seems to draw interesting discussion in any thread. Based on that thread, I volunteered Patrick to do a My Home Course piece, so we have that to look forward to... :) Just kidding, no pressure.

Please think up some interesting questions for Patrick.

Play nice!

-----

On deck: ? Gotta finalize some things

5 most recent:

Bryan Izatt

Philippe Binette

JC Jones

Mike Clayton

Steve Curry

Full list:

GTK participants
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

JC Jones

Re: Starting today, Thurs. 3/4/10 - Get To Know Patrick Hodgdon
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 11:03:01 AM »
And here I thought you were scraping the bottom of the barrel with me....
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Patrick Hodgdon

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 11:10:39 AM »
And here I thought you were scraping the bottom of the barrel with me....

There was only one place to go after you Jason... Up.  ;)
Did you know World Woods has the best burger I've ever had in my entire life? I'm planning a trip back just for another one between rounds.

"I would love to be a woman golfer." -JC Jones

George Pazin

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 11:18:28 AM »
I said play nice. :)

Just another note to everyone: there have been many requests for some of the, shall we say, more prolific posters on the site. I have sent out requests, some I haven't heard from yet, others have said no. In a way, the reason for these GTK threads is to highlight the posters who DON'T have 8000+ posts like some of us, who obviously have problems... I'm sure I'm not the only who occasionally has trouble remembering who is who, and I'm sure EVERYONE is sick of my t shirt travails and citations of Oakmont as the answer to all things golf.

Patrick, the standard 3 apply:

What brought you to golf?

Golf course architecture?

This website?

If you'd care to post a little bio info, that always helps to feed the animals.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Shane Wright

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 11:42:06 AM »
Patrick -

Welcome to the GTK series.

Being the native Minnesotan that you are, what are your thoughts on Tom Lehman's work (Windsong, Troy Byrne, various others)?

What are the 3 biggest things you have learned from Golf Club Atlas that you didn't necessarily know before?

Thanks,

Shane

Patrick Hodgdon

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 11:48:58 AM »
I said play nice. :)

It's ok JC just doesn't want another piece of me in Jones-Hodgdon IV. Probably because he's only getting 4 a side this time.  :o

If you'd care to post a little bio info, that always helps to feed the animals.

A Little Bio:

I grew up in Minneapolis caddying at Interlachen Country Club at the age of 12. For the first summer some of the bags were bigger than I was. Back then I was more excited to tell my dad about the fact that the course had a halfway house and that the member buys you a coke "and you can grab as many pretzels and chips as you want!" than I was about the $25 I had just made.

I fell in love with the game so much that I quit baseball soon after starting caddying and started to spend my entire summer at ICC. For 5 years I put in 14 hour days as I would come in early and open up the driving range, then do an early loop in the morning, and then work on the driving range until it closed. And if we cleaned up the range fast enough we'd even go play as many holes as we could before it was pitch black.

When it came time to pick a college to go to I had a number of options with a good gpa and a high SAT but ultimately "golf" won out in a sense because I chose to go to a small Catholic University that was being started in Naples, FL. My best friend from high school and I both went down and got to continue caddying at Calusa Pines while going to school.

My dad is fond of telling the story about how I came home one day at age 16 and announced that I was either going to work some day in commercial real estate or investment banking. He asked why and I simply replied "Those guys have the most money and play the most golf!" As such I was able to network through people I had met through the wonderful game of golf and caddying and land an internship in each of my selected fields.

I graduated in May of '08, got married in June, and moved back to Minnnesota in July to work in commercial real estate where my interview was also the fruit of a golf connection.  Alas the CRE market hit the tank hard in early '09 and without any deals to be done my career was short lived. At this time (last summer) my wife who is from FL made it known that just one winter was enough for her and that we were officially moving back to Naples. I knew I would miss my family but not the weather and we packed up and moved back down last fall.

In the meantime I've been hunting for a job and just recently found one as I will be starting this month working for Scratch Golf as their sales representative in South Florida. I couldn't be more excited to be working in the golf business and with such a great company with a bright future ahead.

Patrick, the standard 3 apply:

What brought you to golf?

Golf course architecture?

This website?

1) I started to play golf at age 10 when my dad brought me to a local executive course in Edina called Fred Richards. My first set was a wonderful old set of Billy Casper blades that had been my dad's and my grandfather's before him. My grandfather cut them down for me and put brand new grips on them for me.

I didn't really get hooked on the game however until I started caddying at Interlachen.

2) I had always been thinking about golf course architecture I just never knew it! I was constantly thinking about ways to improve holes at Interlachen and always liked when the guys I was caddying for would talk about the changes. When they did their big tree removal (over 750 they took out) it opened up some wonderful views all over the course and really improved it. I was the only caddy who thought so and was in agreement with only the very few members who had been behind the decision.

I also being a caddy was always interested in the subtleties of the greens and how they were an integral part of the game. Being interested in them led to becoming one of the better green readers out there which obviously leads to happier golfers and bigger tips.  ;D

3) I found this website in an interesting way. I'd been reading Hugh Hewitt's blog for some time and stumbled on a wonderful post by the late Dean Barnett who would guest post on HH's site. He wrote about the wonderful Golf Club Atlas back in October '07 and I quickly fired off an e-mail to Ran to see if there was room. There wasn't at the time but he said to check back in in a couple of months which I did in February of '08 and to my great satisfaction I became a member of this esteemed tree house.
Did you know World Woods has the best burger I've ever had in my entire life? I'm planning a trip back just for another one between rounds.

Patrick Hodgdon

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 11:58:35 AM »
Patrick -

Welcome to the GTK series.

Being the native Minnesotan that you are, what are your thoughts on Tom Lehman's work (Windsong, Troy Byrne, various others)?

What are the 3 biggest things you have learned from Golf Club Atlas that you didn't necessarily know before?

Thanks,

Shane

Shane-

I have yet to play either Windsong or Tory Burne! Lame I know. Both however are on my list to play in the Twin Cities area as is Spring Hill and Brauer's Giant's Ridge up North.

The 3 biggest things I've learned from GCA that I didn't know before are:
1) I've learned to really analyze the golf course better in terms of design and what each feature brings to it and what the designer might have been trying to accomplish. For instance I never really noticed stuff like the 10th hole at Calusa Pines, the water along the left side tends to push drives to the right however on the right side you don't have nearly as good an angle to the green and you have the group of fairway bunkers partially obstructing your view as well. Basically just picking up the little features that have more of a subconscious affect on you while your playing. Really the site has allowed me to really understand why a course should be called great instead of good, etc.

2) That the world is full of some very good golf courses even ones most people have never heard of. I had always taken interest in the top 100 courses and what not but my favorite thing about GCA is the constant exposure to some hidden gems that are out there that I one day hope to play.

3) That playing with fellow GCAers can really be enlightening to understanding and learning about course. I've picked up a lot from this site but when you can play with other guys who are looking at the course with the same architecturally inclined eye you really can learn a lot about the course from the different individual perspectives.

Shane Wright

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 12:18:46 PM »

Shane-

I have yet to play either Windsong or Tory Burne! Lame I know. Both however are on my list to play in the Twin Cities area as is Spring Hill and Brauer's Giant's Ridge up North.

The 3 biggest things I've learned from GCA that I didn't know before are:
1) I've learned to really analyze the golf course better in terms of design and what each feature brings to it and what the designer might have been trying to accomplish. For instance I never really noticed stuff like the 10th hole at Calusa Pines, the water along the left side tends to push drives to the right however on the right side you don't have nearly as good an angle to the green and you have the group of fairway bunkers partially obstructing your view as well. Basically just picking up the little features that have more of a subconscious affect on you while your playing. Really the site has allowed me to really understand why a course should be called great instead of good, etc.

2) That the world is full of some very good golf courses even ones most people have never heard of. I had always taken interest in the top 100 courses and what not but my favorite thing about GCA is the constant exposure to some hidden gems that are out there that I one day hope to play.

3) That playing with fellow GCAers can really be enlightening to understanding and learning about course. I've picked up a lot from this site but when you can play with other guys who are looking at the course with the same architecturally inclined eye you really can learn a lot about the course from the different individual perspectives.
[/quote]

thanks for the answers Pat - Let me know when you are up here and we will get out and play Troy Burne and maybe Windsong also.   I'm hoping to see Spring Hill this summer.  If so, I hope to post a review.

Shane

jonathan_becker

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 12:35:32 PM »
Patrick,

I know this is a gca forum, but I have to ask you about the NBA.

Did you enjoy Slick Rick Davis when he played for you guys?  Ricky is all about himself, but when he played for the Cavs, I loved him.  I'm just thankful that he and D Miles are not on the team anymore.

Not to piss off any Lakers fans out there (i've taking a lot of crap with pm's sent to me on this board), but can anyone stop LBJ and the Cavs this year?

Patrick Hodgdon

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2010, 12:45:02 PM »
Patrick,

I know this is a gca forum, but I have to ask you about the NBA.

Did you enjoy Slick Rick Davis when he played for you guys?  Ricky is all about himself, but when he played for the Cavs, I loved him.  I'm just thankful that he and D Miles are not on the team anymore.

Not to piss off any Lakers fans out there (i've taking a lot of crap with pm's sent to me on this board), but can anyone stop LBJ and the Cavs this year?

NBA questions are always open in a get to know me thread Jonathan!

The worst part about Ricky is that I was a Miami Heat season ticket holder while going to college down here and had to watch him both on the Heat and on the Wolves during his stints with each. Anyone willing to shoot a lay-up at the wrong hoop to try and get a triple double is not worth loving in my opinion.  ;)

LBJ, with the key addition of Jamison and soon bringing Z back as well (what a farce that trade was btw) is going to be very tough to beat. I'd say they are the favorites for sure. Any team JC Jones roots for is bound to come up short anyway. :)

jonathan_becker

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2010, 12:53:52 PM »
Patrick,

Thanks for the reply.....I'll even admit the Z thing is wrong.  Thank God it's in my favor this time.  :) 

Oh, and Ricky trying to get the rebound for himself was hilarious.  :D

Patrick Hodgdon

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2010, 12:56:58 PM »
Patrick,

Thanks for the reply.....I'll even admit the Z thing is wrong.  Thank God it's in my favor this time.  :) 

Oh, and Ricky trying to get the rebound for himself was hilarious.  :D

Well all I can say is I hope you enjoy this year's run. Cause it very well might be your last!  :P

jonathan_becker

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2010, 01:02:13 PM »
TRUST ME....I KNOW!!

JC Jones

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2010, 01:10:53 PM »
Any team JC Jones roots for is bound to come up short anyway. :)

Reigning champs, son.  Let me know how drafting 2 more point guards this year works out........ ::)
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Patrick Hodgdon

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2010, 01:15:14 PM »

Reigning champs, son.  Let me know how drafting 2 more point guards this year works out........ ::)

Yea, yea so happy for you and Mamba.

Come on though, if you had a son who had major issues and was born with 3 arms and learning disabilities you would still love him!

Besides Rubio is going to be unstoppable in two years, you just wait!

JC Jones

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2010, 01:17:05 PM »

Yea, yea so happy for you and Mamba.

Come on though, if you had a son who had major issues and was born with 3 arms and learning disabilities you would still love him!

Besides Rubio is going to be unstoppable in two years, you just wait!

Too bad he'll never wear a T-wolves jersey.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2010, 01:31:44 PM »
Patrick, your appraisal of Pensacola Country Club among the pantheon of Florida golf courses?  (Based on your one round here earlier this year)

I am so glad to hear you are going to be working with Ari Techner and the Scratch Golf boys.  I met Ari when he lived in Eugene, Oregon and hosted my brother and me at Eugene Country Club.  He's a great guy and that company is going places.  You two are a good fit, have fun.

Patrick Hodgdon

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2010, 01:42:11 PM »
Patrick, your appraisal of Pensacola Country Club among the pantheon of Florida golf courses?  (Based on your one round here earlier this year)

I am so glad to hear you are going to be working with Ari Techner and the Scratch Golf boys.  I met Ari when he lived in Eugene, Oregon and hosted my brother and me at Eugene Country Club.  He's a great guy and that company is going places.  You two are a good fit, have fun.

Bill-

I very much enjoyed my round with you at PCC and I would even go so far to make the argument that PCC has one of the most underrated sets of greens I've seen. If PCC were in Naples I would probably rank it right behind Calusa and pretty equal to the Hideout which is another great Florida course on a flat site much like Pensacola. Both courses have some very interesting and strategic holes with very good greens and are courses I could enjoy playing everyday. I also would rank the par-3 240+ yard 6th hole with it's one of it's kind (as far as I know) reverse-redan biarritz green as one of the best par-3's I've ever played.

George Pazin

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2010, 02:10:12 PM »
It's funny, Pensacola may not have much elevation change, but it didn't strike me at all as flat.

I'd love to hear more about Interlachen - underrated holes, overrated holes, where you see it among Minn. courses, where other Minnesotans tend to see it, etc.

Patrick Hodgdon

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2010, 02:27:24 PM »
It's funny, Pensacola may not have much elevation change, but it didn't strike me at all as flat.

Well from what I know from Bill most of it was built up when they redid it after the hurricane. He can probably speak more to it though.

I'd love to hear more about Interlachen - underrated holes, overrated holes, where you see it among Minn. courses, where other Minnesotans tend to see it, etc.

Interlachen is a fantastic old Donald Ross course that is steeped in tradition going back to Bobby Jones epic 3rd leg of his grand slam in the 1930 U.S. Open.

It features some really great shorter (short but not really driveable) par-4's that are plenty challenging even if you hit driver/3-wood and wedge everytime.

It's a great match-play course as well with a lot of holes that can yield birdie and double at the same time to equally skilled players.

If I had to pick a hole that is overrated at Interlachen I'd have to go with #9 (#18 during the '08 Women's Open) which is a par-5 around a lake. (this hole is the site of Jones' "lily pad" shot. To me the view from the approach is beautiful looking across the pond with the great clubhouse sitting up on the hill behind, but I feel like the green and/or it's surround could use a little more spice. I will say the new bunker they added in the hill on the left in the lay-up area is very well done and adds significantly to the strategy needed on your second shot.

As for underrated holes as I mentioned the shorter par-4's are great. I think #6 is probably the most underrated and I would argue the best hole on the course. At only 340 yards it gives so many different players fits and usually plays into the wind making the second shot uphill and a lot of times from an uneven lie to the high tiered green very difficult. A few years ago they collected score cards to see the scoring averages and I believe #6 was the highest for the membership.

The majority of Minnesota golfers consider Interlachen the best in town. I have yet to play SpringHill yet but some argue for it as the better track. I'm not a fan of Hazeltine and don't understand why anyone else is either. I would argue that Minneapolis Golf Club is the most underrated course in town and perhaps in the MidWest. I will hopefully be able to post a photo tour of MGC next summer as my dad just joined there. MGC is just a half-step behind Interlachen in my mind but doesn't really get any cred.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2010, 02:50:40 PM »

Well from what I know from Bill most of it was built up when they redid it after the hurricane. He can probably speak more to it though.

Pensacola CC is flat with some small changes of elevation, but less flat than the old course was.  We excavated the large drainage ponds and used the sandy spoil to sand cap the fairways, adding a foot or 18" pretty much all over.  It drains a whole lot better now than in the old days.

It was a really good remodel by Jerry Pate, voted #1 renovation of a private club in 2007 by Golf Inc. magazine.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2010, 04:34:13 PM »
If you could play only one course (other than Calusa  ;D) for the rest of your life, what would it be, and why?

Patrick Hodgdon

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2010, 07:21:03 PM »
If you could play only one course (other than Calusa  ;D) for the rest of your life, what would it be, and why?

Great question Carl!

I'll assume you mean of the courses I have been lucky enough to play, which isn't a lot, but is highlighted by Interlachen, Calusa Pines, Pasatiempo, and most recently Seminole.

It's pretty tough to choose between those 4 as I have such fond affection for ICC and CP but I would have to narrow it down between Pasa and Seminole with Seminole getting the nod.

Seminole is just so much fun to play, and from my one round there I could tell that it would be fun every day with a different challenge presented each time highlighted by the ever constant but changing wind. I don't think I could ever get sick of playing Seminole.

In a close second would be Pasatiempo which I also loved from my one round there. So many great and interesting holes there and I could think of a lot of worse places to live than Santa Cruz. :)

Ed Oden

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2010, 11:30:00 PM »
Patrick, has your interest in gca had a bigger impact on the way you play or the way you caddy?

Patrick Hodgdon

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2010, 07:46:29 AM »
Patrick, has your interest in gca had a bigger impact on the way you play or the way you caddy?

Ed, great question! I don't think it's changed either too much though. Certainly while I am caddying I take note of more of the subtleties of the course that I wouldn't have previously. Same could be said for while I am playing though too. I will say I've been blessed/cursed by GCA in that I now would much rather caddy/golf with someone who I can discuss great architecture with.

On that note though I will say it has been a lot of fun to talk about so many wonderful courses though as a result of my coming to GCA. At Calusa we get a ton of people down from lots of great courses up North and most are shocked when I say how cool their Eastward Ho! belt is or ask them whether they were scared of embarrassing themselves on the first tee at Merion. Also having played Seminole in January, I have had a ton of great discussions on it since then as well.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back