News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Whitaker

I have decided to visit several courses in Cornwall, Devon and Somerset either pre or post Buda Cup 2010. With advice from Sean Arble I am considering some or all of the following courses:

Burnham & Berrow
St Enodoc
Perranporth
Burnham
Saunton East & West
Westward Ho!
Trevose
Yelverton

If anyone is interested in partnering with me for a golfing adventure in September send me an IM or email and we can discuss. I'm prepared to devote up to a week to this excursion.

To date I have booked nothing... it's all conceptual at this point... so you can get in on the ground floor!

Cheers!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 05:51:09 PM by Michael Whitaker »
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Sean_A

Whitty

As I told you earlier, if our diaries coincide I am happy to host you at Burnham. 

If you are gonna take a week and want to see a cool town, West Cornwall near St Ives is another course I have a lot of time for.  Good luck with your travels through the Ooh arr counties.   

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Bill_McBride

Mike, see James Boon's thread on Burhham & Berrow for Thursday, Sept 16th - we already have 4 and are looking for another group if there's enough interest.

Ulrich Mayring

Yes, forego Trevose and do West Cornwall instead.

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

John Mayhugh

Michael,
The trip sounds great, but no way I could do a second week.  

Can't believe I'm already so excited about Sept 2010.

Ulrich,
That photo looks great.
You're not coming to Wales?

Michael Whitaker

Whitty

As I told you earlier, if our diaries coincide I am happy to host you at Burnham. 

If you are gonna take a week and want to see a cool town, West Cornwall near St Ives is another course I have a lot of time for.  Good luck with your travels through the Ooh arr counties.   

Ciao

Pick a date on either side of the Buda... I'll be there.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Sean_A

Whitty

Ciao

Pick a date on either side of the Buda... I'll be there.

Whitty

Assuming the 16th with Boony doesn't work for you, Sundays or Fridays are best for me at Burnham.  So I guess:

Friday 10 September
Sunday 12 September (could be tricky due to Ladies comp and JH Taylor Medal)
Friday 24 September
Sunday 26 September (could be tricky due to Ladies comp)

If one of the Sundays is best for you, I can request a forward tee time from the Secretary if any are available - which there could well be because they don't tend to block out the tee for a long time, but I think the 12th with be difficult with two comps. 

Work out your favoured itinerary and let me know. 

Ciao

New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

jeffwarne

I have decided to visit several courses in Cornwall, Devon and Somerset either pre or post Buda Cup 2010. With advice from Sean Arble I am considering some or all of the following courses:

Burnham & Berrow
St Enodoc
Perranporth
Burnham
Saunton East & West
Westward Ho!
Trevose
Yelverton

If anyone is interested in partnering with me for a golfing adventure in September send me an IM or email and we can discuss. I'm prepared to devote up to a week to this excursion.

To date I have booked nothing... it's all conceptual at this point... so you can get in on the ground floor!

Cheers!

Michael,
Having played all but Yelverton (which looks very interesting)
in order of personal preference I'd say.....
St. Enodoc
Perranporth (mini Ballybunion!)
West Cornwall (charm)
Burnham and Berrow (quality)
Westward Ho (an acquired taste)
Saunton East and West (2 good courses)
Trevose

I also played Bude which I would place above Trevose (trevose was quite good as well, just felt a bit modern in spots)

Good variety in those courses and no weak ones in the bunch
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Scott Warren

Mike,

All and sundry will shitcan Trevose and tell you not to play there. If you are going to be in Padstow anyway, which you really should be because it's a great little town (you can get the ferry across the bay from Padstow to Rock then walk 5mins up the hill to play St Enodoc, adds a really cool element to the day - as opposed to driving 25mins to get to a spot a few hundred yards from where you started!), I would perhaps look into staying at Trevose (they have accommodation that looked pretty good) and play the front nine.

The back nine at Trevose is pretty bland, but the front is one of the best nines I have played in the UK.

If you're adding lifestyle to the golf, you must visit St Ives. It is one of the best places I have been in the world (and West Cornwall GC is just out of town).

Mrs W, if she'll be in London then for work, can get a £20-40 flight to Newquay from London City or Gatwick with Air Southwest to join up with you, and you can take her to the Porthminster Cafe in St Ives, which is all-world food in an all-world location, to regain some of the brownie points you'll be cashing in to play all that golf that week!

If you have any questions I might be able to answer, shoot me a PM.

cheers,
Scott

James Boon

Michael,

If you can't make any of those dates with Sean, please do join us on 16th, I'd be happy to host you and anyone else who wants to join us...
http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,42628.0/

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back