News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

James Boon

Pre-Buda Thursday 16 September - Burnham & Berrow
« on: December 22, 2009, 09:56:43 AM »
Is anyone interested in joining me at Burnham & Berrow on Thursday 16 September, on their way to south Wales for Buda this year?

So far we have:

James Boon
Joe Buehler
Craig Disher
Conrad Gamble
Andy Levett
John Mayhugh
Bill McBride
Mark Pearce
Ben Stephens
Jason Topp
Michael Whitaker

It doesn't look like Sean will be joining us but I can sign 3 people in at £20 each, then its £65 each after that, but I propose that we could probably split the costs between us. Mark and Conrad are playing and early morning round on the Championship course, before the rest of us join them in the afternoon.

I have 3 times booked from 1pm onwards. Any last minute interest send me a message or post here and I'll see what I can sort out.  None Buda competitors, also more than welcome.

Just so people know, assuming traffic isn't bad, its about 1 hour 30 mins from Burnham to Royal Porthcawl and their Dormey House for those staying there on Thursday night.

Cheers,

James

Edited 11 Sept 2010 - Tee times updated.
Original text below

Is anyone interested in joining me at Burnham & Berrow on their way to south Wales next year, on Thursday 16 Sept?

I've already spoken to Bill McBride, who will be joining me along with Joe Buehler and Jason Topp.

The morning is booked up but we could play any time after 1pm. I can sign 3 people in at £20 each (so thats Bill, Joe and Jason covered), then its £65 each after that, but I propose that as there probably wont be that many of us, we could probably split the costs. The club aren't asking for a deposit at the moment but I just need to confirm that.

Just so people know, assuming traffic isn't bad, its about 1 hour 30 mins from Burnham to Royal Portcawl and their Dormey House for those staying there on Thursday night.

Anyone interested, please post here or send me a PM and assuming we get a bit more interest, I'll contact the club in the next week or so and provisionally book a few tee times.

Cheers,

James
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 09:16:15 AM by James Boon »
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Tony_Muldoon

Re: Pre-Buda Thursday 16 September - Burnham & Berrow
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 04:57:15 PM »
I may be FORCED ;D to go to Scotland at the beginning of the week otherwise I'd certainly join you.  I love B&B and included it in my top 25.  I don't know anywhere that so effortlessly moves from high dunes to flat ground and back again with each succeeding hole totally different from the last – and it’s not all links you can say that about.

Underrated.

Enjoy.
Let's make GCA grate again!

John Mayhugh

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 05:31:26 PM »
This is just too tough to decide.

Earlier Mark Pearce had mentioned a side trip to Kington.  It looks so unique that I was really counting on seeing it.

You guys have too many golf courses that are worth seeing.   ;D

Sean_A

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 05:41:58 PM »
I would like to be there to help Boony show guys around, but I can't play that late.  If there is any chance some guys want to play the 9 hole Channel Course earlier, perhaps I can make it down. 

I wrote a bit on Burnham somewhat like the Pennard piece.  Perhaps Ben or Ran will post it soon and guys can have a preview of the Championship Course.  The course gets little love from the mighty ones who control this site, forgive them for they know not...

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

James Boon

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 03:54:08 AM »
Sean,

Shame you wont be able top join us as I'm sure you can do a better job of showing people around than me? Afterall, I couldn't stand the 7th till you showed me the light  8) Fingers crossed we may one day see your In My Opinion piece on the course...

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Sean_A

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 05:36:08 AM »
Sean,

Shame you wont be able top join us as I'm sure you can do a better job of showing people around than me? Afterall, I couldn't stand the 7th till you showed me the light  8) Fingers crossed we may one day see your In My Opinion piece on the course...

Cheers,

James

Jeepers Boony, you have eyes and you're are a friendly chap in a sort of Derbyshire way.  You don't don't need no stinkin' Yank hangin' about, but it was a well received gesture!

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Stan Dodd

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 10:31:47 AM »
I would be interested but need to sort my drive times down from Scotland.  What would be the drive time from Edinburgh?

Mark Pearce

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2009, 10:34:06 AM »
Stan,

Multimap (reasonably reliable but tends, if anything, to overestimate) reckons 7.5 hours.  My initial guess was 7 hours, so I reckon that's not far off.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

James Boon

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 04:27:25 AM »
Morning all, as there is snow on the ground at home, well over most of the country by the sound of it, time to dream ahead to warmer, more golf friendly times...

So just bumping this thread, and also confirming I've got 3 tee times booked at present. 1.00, 1.08 and 1.16 pm. We've got a 4 ball at the moment, so room for plenty more! Just reply to this thread or send me a PM if you are interested...

Cheers,

James

Eric Smith

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2010, 05:39:53 PM »
So just bumping this thread, and also confirming I've got 3 tee times booked at present. 1.00, 1.08 and 1.16 pm. We've got a 4 ball at the moment, so room for plenty more! Just reply to this thread or send me a PM if you are interested...

Cheers,

James

Count me in JB.

Thanks!

E. Fifth Wheel Smith

If there is any chance some guys want to play the 9 hole Channel Course earlier, perhaps I can make it down. 

Sean,

I'm up for an early 9 at the Channel as well, if you're still interested.

E. No Wheels Smith

Bill_McBride

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2010, 06:16:00 PM »
Joe and I and perhaps some others will be driving over from Deal   ;D  that morning.  How long do we need to figure for that slog?

Sean_A

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2010, 06:47:23 PM »

Cheers,

James

Count me in JB.

Thanks!

E. Fifth Wheel Smith

If there is any chance some guys want to play the 9 hole Channel Course earlier, perhaps I can make it down. 

Sean,

I'm up for an early 9 at the Channel as well, if you're still interested.

E. No Wheels Smith

Eric

Thinking on it, it is doubtful I will make it down.  The 1pm start just doesn't work for me and driving down for 9 holes isn't in the cards. 

Ciao   

James Boon

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2010, 04:29:57 AM »
Eric,

Glad to have you on board!

Bill,

Google maps has it as just over 4 hours from Deal to Burnham, without accounting for stops. Plus there quite a bit of the M25 to get round, so if it was me I'd allow over 5 hours at least?

Cheers,

James

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2010, 04:34:30 AM »
Eric,

Glad to have you on board!

Bill,

Google maps has it as just over 4 hours from Deal to Burnham, without accounting for stops. Plus there quite a bit of the M25 to get round, so if it was me I'd allow over 5 hours at least?

Cheers,

James
If you are travelling West on the M4, Burnham is about 40 minutes out of your way South on the M5, so from the airports its pretty much on the way.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Bill_McBride

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2010, 10:25:36 AM »
Bill,

Cheers,

James

I figured we'd have to be out of Deal by 7 a.m. so that works.  Thanks!

John Mayhugh

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2010, 12:02:21 AM »
James,
Thanks for the invite.  I would like to join you guys.

James Boon

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2010, 04:36:23 AM »
John,

Good to have you joining us.

For anyone else perhaps interested, here is the link to Sean's essay which should help you make up your mind  ;D
http://golfclubatlas.com/in-my-opinion/burnham-berrow-golf-club

Cheers,

James

James Boon

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2010, 04:32:58 AM »
Okay time for a quick update. So far we have the following people confirmed as playing:

James Boon
Joe Buehler
Craig Disher
John Mayhugh
Bill McBride
Mike Malone
Eric Smith
Ben Stephens
Jason Topp

Possibles:

Stan Dodd
Mark Pearce
Micheal Whitaker

As its currently a mostly American cast, I'm hoping a few more locals may come out of the woodwork nearer the time, so I've called the club and booked another couple of tee times.

Cheers,

James

Edit: Craig D and Michael W added 17 02 10.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 02:11:15 PM by James Boon »

Jason Topp

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2010, 11:59:26 AM »
Thanks for setting this up James!

Craig Disher

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2010, 01:46:47 PM »
James,
This group and this course sound too good to pass up. If there's space, please include me as well.

James Boon

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2010, 02:08:27 PM »
Jason,

My pleasure!

Craig,

Glad to have you along. I'll modify the list above.

Cheers,

James

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2010, 10:25:44 PM »
James - I'm all in!
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Scott Warren

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2010, 08:29:07 AM »
I just got clearance from Mission Control to head over for this one on the caveat that I don't get home too pissed as we're on the 9am Eurostar to Paris the next morning to go get hitched. Be a shame to f**k it all up the day before I get her signed and sealed!

So working on a 1.15ish start, 5pmish finish, a few beers, back on the train to London... easy!

Mark Pearce

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2010, 12:06:22 PM »
James,

Put me down as a probable.  I'll need to liaise with Conrad and there may be two of us.

Mark
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

James Boon

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2010, 04:22:32 PM »
I've edited the opening post to be up to date and include a cast list for the day...

Mark,

Hope you and Conrad can make it. Keep us informed.

Scott,

Glad you can join us! Are you sure you dont want to turn this into your GCA stag night?  ;D

Cheers,

James

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back