News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George Pazin

Starting Fri, 12/11 - Get To Know Charlie Goerges New
« on: December 10, 2009, 03:16:12 PM »
Charlie Goerges, leading site proponent of armchair architect contests, has graciously agreed to a GTK thread starting tomorrow.

I will try to add more personal info on Charlie shortly, but in the meantime, you are to think up questions for this valued poster.

-----

On deck: gotta double check my schedule, but I think Andrew Summerell, another awesome Aussie.

5 most recent participants:

Joe Hancock

Kelly Blake Moran

Scott Warren

Jordan Wall

John Moore

Full list:

GTK participants
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 05:09:46 PM by George Pazin »
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Anthony Gray

Re: Starting Fri, 12/11 - Get To Know Charlie Goerges
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 03:27:01 PM »

Great

Charlie

You are great with the photoshop, where did you get your training?

Where do you live?

What age did you start golf?

Who intriduced you to the game?

Have you played Cruden Bay?

Anthony

George Pazin

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 03:34:13 PM »
Sometimes I wonder if Anthony will beat me to the punch in introducing someone someday.

Oh wait, he already did. :) Thanks for your enthusiasm.

Standard questions for Charlie:

What brought you to golf?

Architecture?

This site?
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Scott Warren

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 04:11:41 PM »
Charlie,

Is your surname pronounced "gorgeous"?

How can I get good at that cad program you use for the armchair archi thing so I can enter this year's armchair archi thing?

Jim Colton

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 04:50:58 PM »
Charlie,

Did Ballysnoop did jobbed in last year's armchair contest?

Are you coming to Ballyneal in 2010, or will you bail last minute again? :)

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 05:11:30 PM »
Well, since questions are starting to show up, I guess I’ll get started. I want to say thanks to George for thinking of me for this thread. It’s nice to be the center of attention once in a while ;) . It will also hopefully get a bit of attention on the contest to get more participation.

You are great with the photoshop, where did you get your training?

Thanks Anthony, I’ve had a fair amount of practice. I haven’t gotten formal training in photoshop or any other software programs, I’ve just taught myself (and had help from colleagues) and learned through trial and error.

I’ll say a bit more about the subject (using photoshop and other software programs to create artwork related to GCA) when I get a chance (probably tonight) because it’s pretty important to me.

Where do you live?

I’m from Breezy Point, Minnesota. I grew up here, went to St. Paul, MN for college for 4 years, worked there for 4 years and then moved back to my home town.

What age did you start golf?

I believe that I picked it up seriously at about 12-13. I was quite bad, but I hit enough good shots to keep me coming back. Thankfully I started young enough to experience some pretty rapid improvement. I’ve never kept a handicap, but I’d guess that I was a mid single-digit player by my late teens. Now I’d guess about 9 (I’ve calculated it a few times and it’s always between 6-10 index, but that’s only because of ESC. I make lots of pars, but I make lots of “others” as well.)

Who intriduced you to the game? / What brought you to golf?

I think some friends probably suggested it, but once I tried it, I was hooked.

Have you played Cruden Bay?

I have not, but it looks like my kind of place.

What brought you to Architecture?
What brought you to This site?

I’ll answer these together because they are related. I got interested in architecture because I was researching getting a course built on some family land. My natural inclination to research this kind of think on the web led me to GCA in relatively short order, though I didn’t get interested in the discussion group right away. When reading the course profiles I began to really get interested in the design of courses in an academic way (that academic bent is the impetus behind the armchair architecture contests). Finally last year I decided to send Ran an email and he let me in. Unfortunately the course idea is on hold, but my interest in design continues to grow. Also, I should clarify that I’m not a wealthy real-estate developer or anything like that, I just love golf and my family has some land and that’s why the idea originated.

Is your surname pronounced "gorgeous"?

No, it’s pronounced “GORE-guess”, but if it is going to be mispronounced, “gorgeous” would be my preference.

How can I get good at that cad program you use for the armchair archi thing so I can enter this year's armchair archi thing?

I’ve done some tutorials and will be around to provide assistance, but it just takes practice. That said, I’m planning on reducing the reliance on Google Sketchup (the 3D software) for this next round. It will still be needed for a portion of it, but I want to make sure it is an architecture contest, not a sketchup contest.

P.S. George, if I should refrain from answering until tomorrow, let me know.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 05:13:47 PM by Charlie Goerges »
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Anthony Gray

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2009, 05:37:22 PM »

Charlie,

I hate that I will be away from the computor a few days.

What University did you attend and what years?

I had lunch today with a former tour pro who coached college golf in MN. Have you played Hazeltine?

For the next Grudge Match can we use your computor skills to make the players look skinnier?

Should I get a refund for my Spellcheck purchase?

Who are some of the guys on GCA you have golfed with?

Thanks for playing.......Anthony

Kalen Braley

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2009, 05:46:50 PM »

For the next Grudge Match can we use your computor skills to make the players look skinnier?

Hey,

I resemble that remark!!!  ;D

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2009, 07:50:36 PM »
Charlie,

Did Ballysnoop did jobbed in last year's armchair contest?

Jobbed?! Jobbed!?!? What is that, some crazy Chicago-speak? If by "jobbed" you mean "terribly overrated", then yes!  ;)

Are you coming to Ballyneal in 2010, or will you bail last minute again? :)

I'd love to, here's hoping I won't bail!
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2009, 08:09:01 PM »
 What University did you attend and what years?

I went to the University of St. Thomas in St. Paul from 1997-2001. I graduated with a BA. I double majored in Communication and in Broadcast Journalism, minored in philosophy.

I had lunch today with a former tour pro who coached college golf in MN. Have you played Hazeltine?

Who was the pro? I haven't played Hazeltine, but I attended the 2002 PGA there. I remember thinking the green complexes looked more interesting than anything I'd played. I don't recall being overwhelmed by it though. Not to derail the thread (it is about me after all) but my host at the PGA made a funny comment at that time. He had seen Elin following Tiger's group and he said to our little group "I think he could do better".

I might be able to be persuaded with the right enticements.

Should I get a refund for my Spellcheck purchase?

Why, I've never noticed any spelling issues?

Who are some of the guys on GCA you have golfed with?

Just a couple in Montana this past summer. Jeff Doerr and his son Tim. Well technically I didn't play any rounds with them, but I had a blast spending time on the range with them and hanging out in the clubhouse, restaurants and elsewhere. And also the Emp. Tommy Naccarrato which was a blast and a learning experience, just totally geeking-out. Incidentally I took the train out there rather than flying because the airport was being worked on and flights were tough to get. The train was a lot of fun as well. I met several interesting people and the vibe of train travel is just totally different. It's like everyone is on an adventure, so everyone is talkative and in a pretty good mood.

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2009, 09:42:16 AM »
I mentioned that I would post something more in-depth related to photoshop, other software, and my own artwork. First let me say that if the only way to add value on this site is to have played a number of top courses and to have seen a large number of courses, then I don’t have much value to add. If the academic study of this subject is worthwhile though, then anyone with an interest can add value to the discussion. Since my personality disposes me to visual thinking and art; that is one way I’ve attempted to make a contribution.

Photoshop is an interesting and powerful software program. I think its application here is fairly straightforward. It’s been used in numerous places to describe what things might or could look like. The following image is one of my best examples. I used it in a thread advocating the restoration of Augusta’s 10th to the original Mackenzie design.

Taking a step beyond Photoshop is the creation of new artwork. I think that, like the armchair contest, hole diagrams can aid us in understanding how great golf holes are laid-out in the real world. One long-term project I’m working on utilizes hole diagrams like the following image (Winged Foot West #18).

I’ve found that even good hole diagrams don’t give quite enough information. So I’ve sought to create computer “sketches” based on images of the holes in question. With a  few visual cues to things like bunker depth and green contours the diagrams combined with sketches like the following (of Winged Foot West #10) can be combined to create a “lightweight” file that can start to give a decent idea of what is on the ground.

I believe that by studying how features in the ground (natural or created) are used on great holes, we amateurs can begin to understand how architects can get the most out of the ground. I think that we can start to recognize missed opportunities when we see them, and maybe we can recognize true genius when we see it.

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2009, 01:56:14 PM »
One other art project I've been working on is a "document renovation" of a scanned plan of Lehigh Country Club. The animation below shows the original (#1), the restored version (#2), and a color-enhanced version (#3).

George Pazin

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2009, 02:11:59 PM »
Charlie, is there any way you could make a transforming image such as the last one where it would only move to the next step after you click on it?

Regardless, those images are pretty terrific, my Photoshop skills are limited to figuring out how to get an image onto a t shirt...

Norbert P

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2009, 04:20:29 PM »
Nice stuff Charlie.

Any recommendation for a version of Photoshop that is Landscape-centric?

Ever use Rhino 3D?   

Will the Vikings win the Super Bowl this year?
  (I had to look away from my TV when EJ Henderson got his femur snapped last week. )

Who'd win in a US Presidential Race  -  Jesse Ventura or Alan Page?
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2009, 05:20:26 PM »
Charlie, is there any way you could make a transforming image such as the last one where it would only move to the next step after you click on it?

Regardless, those images are pretty terrific, my Photoshop skills are limited to figuring out how to get an image onto a t shirt...

Yes there is a way to do that I've not done it in photoshop before, but I'd guess it's not terribly difficult.

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2009, 05:39:26 PM »

Nice stuff Charlie.

Thanks much

Any recommendation for a version of Photoshop that is Landscape-centric?

If you're looking to be able to modify images I do think the current version (photoshop CS4) is the best so far. If you want to have the ability to do more animation or work with 3D images, best get the extended version. If you're looking at older versions I don't think there is an appreciable difference between CS, CS2, and CS3.

Ever use Rhino 3D?

No, I have not. Is it a free, open-source software? I use google sketchup for the armchair contests because it's free and relatively simple to use, if not terribly pretty.

Will the Vikings win the Super Bowl this year?
(I had to look away from my TV when EJ Henderson got his femur snapped last week. )

No. I don't think any team has such a stellar track record of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory as the Vikings.

Who'd win in a US Presidential Race  -  Jesse Ventura or Alan Page?

I want to say Page because he's more respectable, but I think the answer is Jesse.

Norbert P

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2009, 05:53:21 PM »

Charlie, yes, free downloads for Rhino are available here . . .

http://www.rhino3d.com/download.htm
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Anthony Gray

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2009, 11:18:01 PM »

Charlie,

Have you ever had those Little Debbie christmass tree cakes?

Do you remember Trent Tucker? Minnesota played WV in the NIT one year, I think he would pullup for his jumper at midcourt.

What does Minnisota mean?

Gump Worsly former North Star goalie came to minnisota late in his career, Was there enybody better at taking a puck to the face?

Thanks.......Anthony

Norbert P

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2009, 11:42:14 PM »

Gump Worsly former North Star goalie came to minnisota late in his career, Was there enybody better at taking a puck to the face?

Caesar Maniago

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2009, 12:05:45 AM »

Charlie,

Have you ever had those Little Debbie christmass tree cakes?

No, but my daughters have. They tell me they're quite delicious.

Do you remember Trent Tucker? Minnesota played WV in the NIT one year, I think he would pullup for his jumper at midcourt.

I do, but mostly as Timberwolves announcer.

What does Minnisota mean?

Land of Sky-Blue Water

I'll defer to Slag on this one.

Thanks.......Anthony

Anthony Gray

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2009, 12:20:30 AM »

Charlie,

WOW I thought you were older. What Twin hit 500 home runs?

What do you do for a living?

How many Barbies are in your house?

kirby Puckett blew up like a ballon after baseball, Should he have ecxercised more?

Who was president when you were born?

Are you a Gopher fan?

What were your girls for hallowen?

I have a 2 year old daughter, what color are your toenails now?

Great answer Slag.......Bobby Goldsworthy was the first hockey player to die of AIDS.

Anthony

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2009, 01:08:07 AM »

Charlie,

WOW I thought you were older. What Twin hit 500 home runs?

I'm just 30. Harmon Killebrew.

What do you do for a living?

I'm a technical writer. I do software manuals and other various documentation that nobody reads.

How many Barbies are in your house?

I'd say 2-3. I'd like to limit their exposure to such impossible female stereotypes, even though they're impossibly cute themselves.

kirby Puckett blew up like a ballon after baseball, Should he have ecxercised more?

I don't know that it would have helped, but then I'm no doctor.

Who was president when you were born?

James Carter

Are you a Gopher fan?

Not really, do you have any idea what a gopher can do to a golf course?

What were your girls for hallowen?

Lily (4) was a fairy, Molly (2) was a ladybug.

I have a 2 year old daughter, what color are your toenails now?

Blessedly natural, but I have no idea where my allen wrenches are and my Plasma TV has gone to that big BestBuy in the sky.

Great answer Slag.......Bobby Goldsworthy was the first hockey player to die of AIDS.

Anthony

Anthony Gray

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2009, 09:12:10 PM »

Charlie,

What a bad time for a GTK thread with Tiger running around like a dog with two peters.

Let's see those two daughters....As a father there is nothing greaterb in the world.

If I had another child I would take another girl over a boy, without a thought. What are your Xmass plans?

Have you been to Disney yet?

As a 30 year old...What are your first memories of professional golf?

What is your favorite club in your bag?

Anthony

Anthony Gray

« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2009, 09:21:04 PM »

Charlier,

Can you read a topo map?

What is your dream golf job?

Whatb is your handicap?

Wiith your computer skills, can you create photos that will make my wsife leave me....................Please.

Anthony

Garland Bayley

« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2009, 10:03:53 PM »
What do you attribute your striking good looks too? Genes? Grooming? Plastic Surgery?

Is it true that Jordan Wall sent you a spiteful IM when he discovered you were the new babe magnet of the site.

I need help with sleeping some nights. Could you send me some of your writing to help with that?

Are you going to partner with a ringer again in the armchair contest?

Keep up the good work and help us all forget that Tom Paul even posts to this site.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back