News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

OPEN COURSES
« on: February 09, 2009, 02:12:15 PM »
Same question, but bring it across the pond.  This may be a bit easier as there have only been 14 Open venues.  So, which three do you pick to play bi-annually to the exclusion of all other Open venues for the remainder of your days? 

The first for me is an absolute no brainer - SANDWICH.  It is without any doubt in my mind the best combination of charm, class and challenge of all the Open venues. 

The next two are more difficult to pick, but at least my short list for them is only three courses: Prestwick, TOC and Portrush. 

I tend to lean toward Prestwick and Portrush, but I keep hearing horror stories about the narrow fairways and brutal rough at Portrush.  If this is true, I can't abide by it.  Like Pebble, the fact that TOC is public is a drawback.  Plus, if one wants to escape this madness properly, they put out mats in the winter.  This in and of itself seems a crime against the game. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

TEPaul

Re: OPEN COURSES
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 02:16:43 PM »
Do any of you guys think this cat may've fallen out of the wrong side of his cradle this morning?

Just wondering.  ;)

Anthony Gray

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 04:20:31 PM »
Same question, but bring it across the pond.  This may be a bit easier as there have only been 14 Open venues.  So, which three do you pick to play bi-annually to the exclusion of all other Open venues for the remainder of your days? 

The first for me is an absolute no brainer - SANDWICH.  It is without any doubt in my mind the best combination of charm, class and challenge of all the Open venues. 

The next two are more difficult to pick, but at least my short list for them is only three courses: Prestwick, TOC and Portrush. 

I tend to lean toward Prestwick and Portrush, but I keep hearing horror stories about the narrow fairways and brutal rough at Portrush.  If this is true, I can't abide by it.  Like Pebble, the fact that TOC is public is a drawback.  Plus, if one wants to escape this madness properly, they put out mats in the winter.  This in and of itself seems a crime against the game. 

Ciao

Sean,

I know very little about Sandwich. Give us some photos and history please.

Anthony

Kalen Braley

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 04:27:37 PM »
Anthony,

Search Feature, typed in Sandwich....took 2 minutes.  ;)

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,36348.0.html

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 04:43:54 PM »
Anthony,

Search Feature, typed in Sandwich....took 2 minutes.  ;)

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,36348.0.html

Also Ran's usual outstanding profile, Royal St George, in the UK listing of Courses by Country off to the left.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 09:12:54 AM »
Deal, St Georges and Princes, I can get to them all by train and Brompton and they're wildly different despite being within a mile or so of each other.
Cave Nil Vino

Bill Shamleffer

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 10:04:34 AM »
St. Andrews
Prestwick
Portrush
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

Shane Wright

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 10:13:06 AM »
TOC - for obvious reasons

Muirfield - I know it gets mixed reviews, but it is a course that has had little change and withstood the test of time.  I think the routing is absolutely fabulous.  I could play it every day and never get sick of it.

Royal Portrush - Sean - to answer your question, yes it is  narrow and the rough is very penal but I also feel like it rewards the executed shots and is very fair. 

although I have not played it yet, I believe that Turnberry would end up a close 4th for me. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back