News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kyle Henderson

Images from Dismal River New
« on: August 10, 2008, 01:25:52 PM »
The namesake Dismal River with old shack as seen from “my porch.”

The view from my window.

The putting green behind my accomodations.

The course routing.

3rd hole

4th and 8th seen from 2nd

4th Approach

5th

6th with edge alternate fairway see at left edge.

6th green seen from left rear.

7th with useless alternate 6th fairway again at left edge.

8th

9th, second shot

9th from 4th tee
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 02:24:35 AM by Kyle Henderson »
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Kyle Henderson

Re: Images from Dismal River New
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 01:33:37 PM »
10th, front left pin

10th green

13th Approach after a severe hail sotrm interrupted play.

14th hole from behind. The shack seen near the tees saved my life during the down pour/lightning strikes.

15th

15th from short tees.

16th tee shot

16th approach

16th looking back

17th tee shot

17th Approach

18th from tee.

18th, second shot

18th look back

18th green from right side.

72nd hole in two days after driving from Livermore, CA. to Mullen, NE. via Holyoke, CO. Notice passing storm behind.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 02:26:28 AM by Kyle Henderson »
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

John Handley

Re: Images from Dismal River
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 02:01:20 PM »
Great photos, thanks for sharing.  What was your overall impression of the golf course and the club?  In some of the photos, the conditioning looks to be a concern. 
2024 Line Up: Spanish Oaks GC, Cal Club, Cherokee Plantation, Huntercombe, West Sussex, Hankley Common, Royal St. Georges, Sunningdale New & Old, CC of the Rockies, Royal Lytham, Royal Birkdale, Formby, Royal Liverpool, Swinley Forest, St. George's Hill, Berkshire Red, Walton Heath Old, Austin GC,

Michael Dugger

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 03:08:43 PM »
Awful lot of bare patches of turf out there.

Does one of your images show the exposure of an irrigation line?

Seems the course is not "maturing" all that well from these images...

What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008, 03:14:37 PM »
Nice photos. I especially enjoyed the 4th when I played there. This is a tremendous piece of property and quite a departure for Nicklaus (Chris Cochran). Brian Curtis, who shares office space with us, was the architect/designer for the cabins and clubhouse.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Craig Sweet

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 05:32:11 PM »
Interesting...the hole locations on #10 and #16 in your photo's look totally ridiculous. Were they really that sever?

It also looks like they have been having some erosion problems????

It looks like a fun course, especially if the wind is up.

LOCK HIM UP!!!

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008, 08:32:03 PM »
John H: There was some winter kill showing on some of the greens, others were fine. I played Sand Hills in the morning and Dismal River in the afternoon. Sand Hills' greens were very quick and immaculate. Dismal's rolled fairly true but slow, particularly after the severe hail/lightning strom that stopped play for almost an hour. My overall impression of the course was favorable. Following Ballyneal and Sand Hills, it's tough for any course to impress, but Dismal offered a different and enjoyable experience. Dismal lacked the attention to detail (particularly with regard to how the course was integrated with its surroundings) and a few of the holes were ackward for a first-time player becasue of blind shots and shifting winds (#1,2, windmill on 4, tee shot on 9, 11, 14 and 16). My favorite holes were 3, 6, 8, 10, 12, and 18.

Michael D: I'm not sure what that pipe was for -- drainage was my thought at the time -- though the sandy soil may not require such help. That picture was taken just after several inches of hail had melted away. The holes were all essentially bordered by chopped native grasses that would swallow golf balls. A little more finesse to hide the borders (a la Ballyneal) would have been a major improvement. The scrub was very dense compared to Sand Hills, where one might find and play their ball, and Ballyneal, where one almost always finds their ball and often has a chance of recovering par.

Forrest R: I liked the 4th as well, although I'm not sold on the  positioning of the windmill.

Craig S: Overall, I think most of the holes were interesting but a few would be almost unplayable in stiff winds. The pin position on #10 was fine. That hole plays 190 to the center (where the bunker sits in the middle of the green), but only about 110 to the front left so there's plenty of room. You can actually see where my tee shot ended up just right of the flag and there's more room left than portrayed in that photo. The 16th hole location was also fair under the conditions I was playing. The photo makes it look like there's a massive slope feeding past the pin but, as you can see, my approach stopped in makeable range. In drier conditions with a helping wind I might be of a different opinion.

The amenities at Dismal River were amazing. The fire pit behind the main clubhouse was sublime and the cabins were very rustic and beautiful. I urge everyone to peruse the website for a tour.

With a second championship course and a short course in it's future, I think Dismal River has the potential to be a significant draw to the Mullen area. I urge anyone headed to Sand Hills Golf Club to add a day to their trip and enjoy the "Dismal Experience."
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 02:49:52 AM by Kyle Henderson »

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008, 02:51:41 AM »
The winds were pretty mild during my stay. Has anyone played DR in a 20+ mph wind? Was the course playable?

Richard Boult

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2008, 09:45:29 AM »
What a trip!  Added to http://delicious.com/golfclubatlas

Adam Clayman

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2008, 09:54:39 PM »
Kyle, My first round there, the first year it opened before the several changes, we played in a steady 25 with gusts to 35. The corridors and turns were not made for that kind of wind but since Justin has cut out some of the native on the fairway edges, it is more so. The thing that was problematic was the lack of tee elasticity in length provided. It was either 7600, 6600 or the very forwards 5600(?)
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2008, 03:05:36 PM »
Kyle, My first round there, the first year it opened before the several changes, ....

Can you or anyone else summarize the post-opening changes to the course? I remember hearing about regrading of a few greens, but little else. Details anyoine?

Tom_Doak

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2008, 05:51:14 PM »
Adam:

That lack of elasticity is deliberate, I would bet -- Jack Nicklaus does not want the members playing the course from too far back, so he puts the back tees WAY back and the middle tees up quite a bit.  Perhaps they could use some tees at 6100, too, but if they had a set at 6900 the people who played them would mostly get eaten alive.

Jon Heise

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2008, 10:49:22 AM »
Wow, that has an extreme minimal appearance.  Almost as if you werent looking for a golf hole, you would never find it...
I still like Greywalls better.

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2010, 01:31:57 AM »
Bump to accompany Eric Smith's current DR thread.

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,45674.0/

Carl Rogers

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2010, 01:10:32 PM »
In one of your pics, you stated that the lightining-rain shelter might have saved your life.

I wonder if many of you on the site really think they are needed, useful, necessary or just burn money because we can all get hit anywhere anytime.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back