News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Eric Smith

DISMAL RIVER GOLF CLUB
« on: August 24, 2010, 05:30:05 PM »

View from the rear of the clubhouse overlooking the Dismal River valley.  My photos cannot do justice to the scale and beauty of the property.  It is truly the most beautiful, natural environment I have ever seen.  And I love a great ocean view, I promise you.  What is amazing to me is how many times I was up along a dune ridge and thought to myself, there's gotta be an ocean just over that thing.  This happened quite often at Sand Hills as well.  Just wonderful being in and amongst these things.

After a mile long ride out to Jacks Shack you'll find the golf course in a setting straight from another world.

Par 4 412 yards

After catching your breath from the awesomeness, there is a bit of relief in knowing there won't be too much pressure on the opening tee shot -- it is a big, rolling fairway out there.  I couldn't help but think this must be what Ireland looks like, or maybe even the vast expanse around the Copernicus crater on the moon -- though I've never been.

I didn't get a good picture of the opening tee shot so we'll have to go to the approach.  About a 9 iron (135 yards or so) to a semi blind green saddled between the hill and a large dune. From my position in the middle of the fairway I could see the top of the flagstick, but I recall my playing partners asking what I see from a ways back.

Second shot into 1

Once you climb over the rise at the entrance to the green, you'll find an inviting punchbowl, with the rear to mid portion sloping back to front.  Green speed was very quick, but manageable. I'm guessing 11 on the stimp meter.  And they were as pure as the driven snow.

Behind 1 green

Par 4 445 yards

From about 185 yards out.  The green is down the hill behind and to the left of the little bunker you see on the right.

2 green.  Balls played off the hill short left funneled down on to the green.

Par 3 150 yards

This was a fairly easy green to hit, I think it played shorter than the yardage on the card -- maybe the wind...    

The green at 3 I do recall being lightning fast.  This green is exposed to some mighty wind.

Par 5 498 yards

Love this hole. It has a generous fairway off the tee and the second shot allows even more room than the tee shot. Player has several options from the fairway. The big sticks will go at the green, where from the left hand side there is a windmill to contend with on the direct route!  We tried to bang-a-gong, but struck out.  JK hit the best second shot here, taking it left of the windmill and ended up with a putt from the collar of the green for eagle.  There is another neat little feature out in the right side of the fairway -- a cattle rub, though I don't find that I have a picture.

2nd at 4

If you do lay up to the right, like Mac in the photo below, you'll have a good look at a green that is receptive to a run up shot.  I putted from way out on this one as well as many of the remaining holes.

The green at 4 has sort of a 'T' shape in the front portion, kind of like a nose is the best I can describe it, with fall offs on both sides of the ridge that feed the balls into the 'nostrils'. With a front pin, being on this green is no guarantee of a two putt.  Wish I had a pic.  The ball really motors on and around this feature and is one of the quirkier seen on the trip.

Par 3 145 yards

Tough little bastard of a tee shot as I never hit this green.  I love how you can see it and it's ever present bunker from back at #3 and while playing #4.  It is a beautiful feature - a great little hole.  Another lesson in deception here too. So many times on this trip my eyes were fooled by the distance to carry these dunes ridges and bunkers.  Always I thought a ball looked to be short, yet carried them.  I may need glasses because I was always wrong.

There is a chipping area behind the green that keeps the long shot in play, which is smart maintenance and design in my book as I saw more than one get up and down from here. Let's play, not look for balls in the wooga!

Par 4 313 yards

Another hole with tons of room, but you don't feel that so much on the tee.  It isn't until you get around the fronting sand ridge that you begin to see the whole fairway.  The approach shot is similar in appearance to the tee shot just played at 5, though only half the distance.  A tiny green nestled within another punchbowl.  I drove this green from the forward tees in an afternoon 2 man scramble.  Lots of fun.  One of my favorites out here.

Par 4  437 yards

Though I didn't capture a photo from the tee, you can see where it is located in the picture above in the upper left hand portion of the photo.  it is probably the second most elevated tee shot on the golf course (with 18 Black being the highest). A dog leg left with some deep, nasty bunkers on the inside of the dog leg.

2nd shot at 7

Par 4 265 yards

I can't believe I don't have pics from 8.  A driveable par 4 where if you are going for it, your tee shot must pretty much take the direct route over the field of bunkers OR you can choose to ride the dune line along the right side, allowing the ball to disappear over the ridge and hoping for it to bounce back down and onto the putting surface.  I tried the latter on my first time around and my ball never came back down. :( One of us did manage to find the putting surface from the tee during another round and I barely missed in our third round, missing pin high but leaving it in the rough to the left of the green.  The player who lays up on this hole does have a rather boring mid iron to play out to the left fairway.  Between it and the green complex is a swath of gnarly wooga and sand bunkers that probably house a population of snakes and ProV1's.

Par 5  590 yards

Again, no pics? ???  Well here is one -- 9 is the downhill hole in the background (4 in the foreground).

A long winding down hill par 5 with a fairway that cants right to left, yet dog legs left to right.  ( I think there was a thread on these type holes recently.) One of the hole's redeeming qualities is it is the lone spot on the golf course with cell service! The tee is set on top of the dunes with views for miles and miles in all directions. One of the highlights of our stay was being able to witness an approaching storm on the horizon with plenty of sinister looking dark clouds and lightning to dazzle us with.

I wish I had a photo of the green because it is really beautiful -- a classic looking design with some deep fronting bunkers that pinch the entry to a shallow, tiered green with a small tongue wrapped around the front left bunker.  It made for some fun plays on third shots to get the ball over to that hole location.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 04:04:42 PM by Eric Smith »

Eric Smith

Re: DISMAL RIVER GOLF CLUB
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 05:30:19 PM »
Par 3  167 yards

Now this is QUIRK at it's best.  I loved this hole.  It is definitely different than any I have played, but no less of a quality hole because of it's odd ball-ness.

Really from the tee you have no clue what you are about to see.

You can putt from the front of the green, up over the crest on the left and see your ball funnel around the bowl and with the right speed, snuggle up within a few feet of the hole.

Par 4 398 yards

No photo from the tee, but it is a straight away par 4 with a pretty mean cross bunker at the front right entrance to the fairway.

The second shot needs to avoid falling away left as the fairway drops off to the left and a deep bunker will swallow up balls that do not carry the green surface.

Looking back to the tee.

This is a huge green with a ton of pinnable locations to choose from.  After studying this green over multiple plays I think it shows just how good Nicklaus' team can design greens.  In no way are they rudimentary here at Dismal River.  This green would be a lot of fun to spend time practicing on.  Nothing too wild or severe, this green just sits well with the land, has some nice movement within it and allows you to have a chance to roll in a long putt.  A favorite corner of the property for me no doubt.

Great green.

Par 5 536 yards

A beauty.  The fairway snakes in and out of the dunes as you tee off from on top of the dune ridge and play down and back up the gentle rise to the green site.  From the right side of the fairway you'll never see the green and likely won't see the large bunker complex on the right either.

On my first play I did just that, tee shot to the right portion of the fairway, smoked 2 wood over the dunes to the right, finding my ball in the wooga right of the green and no shot at holding the approach.

I did however learn that there was a lot more room out to the right, basically in line with the fronting dune that hides the green from the fairway.  So on my last play I took the 2 wood again on that same aggressive line with a draw this time and when we arrived at the green there was my ball, resting 12 feet from the hole.

Par 4 379 yards

The 13th hole is undergoing a major facelift, though the work doesn't currently affect play.

Tee shot

Second shot from left side of the fairway.  Note the new green growing in down to the left.

This bunker will become the center line bunker of a massive 120 yard wide fairway. 

The fairway of the current (second?) iteration of the hole is maybe too narrow?, with the right to left cant allowing balls to run through the fairway into the left rough.  So they have seeded an additional 50 to 60 yards or so to the left and will apparently merge the two into one enormous fairway with a new green down below that is pushed back perhaps another 30 yards...

...back towards where the original green was located and only steps away from the next tee box.

The current green, a peanut shape, with the future green in the background.

Par 4  441 yards

One mean bitch.  Big fairway, lots of room off the tee, even though you don't see how much is there beyond the dune right.

You're going to want to keep your second shot out to the left, a long iron most likely, because anything leaking right will feed down the escalator to hell where the Dismal Devil will burn you into submission if you step foot in his own version of Hell bunker.  I think I saw flames coming up from the floor.

Par 3 171 yards

A gas of a hole. It looks and plays fast.  Kind of like a race track banking around the massive dune wall on the left.  Dare I say it has Redan qualities? A play up the right side is definitely going to funnel back to the left rear of the green.

Par 4 402 yards

A dog leg right with a high banking slope on the far side of the fairway that gives some turbo propulsion to a well struck tee shot, though the best line is to play off of the right side, challenging the inside bunker where you'll find a view of the green awaiting.  From the other side, all you'll see is a dune with a gnarly bunker cut into it followed by another with the same.

Another really nice green, laid naturally over the terrain.

Par 4 428 yards

The 17th is a hole where the Dismal Devil would love to add another bogey to your round if you aren't paying attention.  It doesn't play quite as long as the card says and you can take an aggressive line at the dog leg and get on down the fairway with a solid tee shot.

But you better be sure you know your carry distance.  if you don't clear the dog leg, these bunkers can wreck your scorecard.

An inviting green giving the player plenty of room to bring it in the front door. 

You feel so small on this hole, being next to the towering sand hills just off the fairway to the right.

A new 18 tee is just a few steps off of the back of this green.

What a beautiful hole that leads you to your final test.

Par 5 500 yards (580 Black tees)

I climbed the highest dune to the right of the black and took this shot.  The wind in my ear reminded me of parasailing. A spiritual moment for sure.

Clubhouse

Cabins

I loved Dismal River.  On this trip, we played Ballyneal, Wild Horse and Sand Hills.  All were incredible.  All were unique.  Call me crazy, but for now, I consider Dismal River to be my favorite course ever played.  It stirred my soul.

I hope you enjoyed the tour and I hope you have some questions. 

I'll check back later.

Eric

JC Jones

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 05:56:07 PM »
Eric,

Thank you for the photo-essay. The course looks amazing and its hard to understand why it doesn't get more acclaim.  Many of those pictures put to rest the notion that Jack can't build wild greens.

The best part of the whole thing was talking to you when you got back and hearing the pure happiness in your voice as you described your trip and Dismal River, in particular.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 05:57:48 PM »
Crazy

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 06:00:36 PM »
I love the shot from the high dune on 18.  It's inspiring, truly.

I would rather read this thread than the multitude that rip courses to shreds any day.

Thanks for taking the time to post.

WW

Carl Nichols

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 06:09:01 PM »
Thanks for the pics.

If Dismal River had been first in the area, would it be held in higher regard? 

Mac Plumart

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 07:32:18 PM »
Eric...

Great photos!!!

I find myself dying to get back out there right this very second!!!

Thanks for sharing.   8)
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Jim Colton

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 07:33:41 PM »
Eric,

What are some of the top courses you've played that by definition are second to DR?  Is Dismal River a Doak 10?

Paul Richards

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 07:41:07 PM »
Jim:

Interestingly enough, I am reading your book right now.  I can totally relate to a lot of what I have read so far.

But if I am ever back in the area of Mullen, NB, I will play Sand Hills 100 times out of 100.

'Nuf said.
 ;)
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

JC Jones

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 07:41:30 PM »
Eric,

What are some of the top courses you've played that by definition are second to DR?  Is Dismal River a Doak 10?

Jim,

I think he put that in there just to challenge your manhood, specifically.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Eric Smith

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 07:50:11 PM »
Jim,

I don't have to rank golf courses and I won't do it on this thread.  The Doak scale is not my scale and I wouldn't want to try to fit my preferences to any one else's much less fit someone else's to mine.

I said I loved it and it is my favorite played to date. 

But thanks for asking.

Do you think you'll give Dismal River a look some time?  I hope you do. 

Eric

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2010, 07:55:01 PM »
Impressive for a Nicklaus track. Not usually a fan of blind uphill par 3's, but #4 at Dismal looks like a cracker...especially if the wind is up! Very green. Is that due to heavy rain, being juiced, or a combination of the two. The routing and quality of the holes looks pretty sout from the arm-chair. From your high regard for it Eric, it must play as nicely as it looks. Any caddie program there?

Adam, please IM me when you get a chance. It's been eons since we last spoke!
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

JC Jones

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2010, 08:30:38 PM »

But if I am ever back in the area of Mullen, NB, I will play Sand Hills 100 times out of 100.

'Nuf said.
 ;)

Isnt that a Doak 6?

Jim Colton

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2010, 08:38:39 PM »
Jim,

I don't have to rank golf courses and I won't do it on this thread.  The Doak scale is not my scale and I wouldn't want to try to fit my preferences to any one else's much less fit someone else's to mine.

I said I loved it and it is my favorite played to date.  

But thanks for asking.

Do you think you'll give Dismal River a look some time?  I hope you do.  

Eric

Eric,

I was simply asking to find out what other courses you've played, for context purposes.  Have you been out to Bandon?

That's really high praise so my antenna is definitely up.  Who knows if I'll ever make it out that way.  Interestingly enough, I was driving right through Mullen this afternoon looking for a place to play since we got rained out at Prairie Club (the same weekend you were supposed to come out to BN).  Had a chance to play Dismal but we kept on driving.  The course has been open for a few years and I hadn't heard anything even remotely positive until your post the other day.

Jim
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 08:40:51 PM by Jim Colton »

Eric Smith

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2010, 08:46:24 PM »
I guess you missed Adam's posts after he got home.  There have been changes, positive changes--most importantly new ownership.

Wish I was in Mullen today.

Eric Smith

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2010, 09:00:31 PM »
Impressive for a Nicklaus track. Not usually a fan of blind uphill par 3's, but #4 at Dismal looks like a cracker...especially if the wind is up! Very green. Is that due to heavy rain, being juiced, or a combination of the two. The routing and quality of the holes looks pretty sout from the arm-chair. From your high regard for it Eric, it must play as nicely as it looks. Any caddie program there?

Kris,

I don't know about caddies.  The course still lacks walking trails off of the tees down to the fairways.  It wouldn't be much tougher to walk than Sand Hills with them in place imo.  I would imagine that their membership will someday want these paths, just like I would imagine that someday they will create them.

But for now, you'd have to walk along the cart trails around the dunes -- think 1 at Sand Hills from the fairway to the back of the green.  That would suck to have to walk that route to the green!

Eric

« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 04:51:07 AM by Eric Smith »

Jordan Wall

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2010, 09:03:22 PM »
With all due respect, if this were designed by Mr. Doak or Coore/Crenshaw, wouldn't this course get a lot more love around here...

Dismal River looks AWESOME!

Sand Hills and Ballyneal looks great as well, and I am not comparing, but I guess I don't understand why DR gets no love.  Can someone help me out?

Bart Bradley

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2010, 09:07:12 PM »
Eric:

I am glad you had a good time.  I don't think it is unreasonable to ask why you said it was your favorite golf course to date.  What made it more enjoyable to you than your other favorites and what are those other favorites?  You said that you had been to Sand Hills and Ballyneal;  what did you like more about your experience at Dismal than at those other courses?

Thanks for teaching us about your point of view.

Bart
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 09:10:02 PM by Bart Bradley »

Matt Bosela

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2010, 09:20:18 PM »
Eric,

Thanks for the great photos and review.  Your enthusiasm for DR is palpable and I'll definitely have to consider seeking the course out should I ever be fortunate enough to be in Nebraska again.

Eric Smith

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2010, 09:35:51 PM »
My friend invited me out to his course and I made the trip out.  Then some more courses were added, which happened to be the region's two heavyweights!!

I had no expectations when getting to Dismal River.  We'd just played Ballyneal the day before and at dinner that night I stepped out on the bocce ball lawn and called my good friend Jason Jones and went on and on about how much I loved BN!

The next two days we were at Dismal River and I just loved the boldness of the place, the epic scale of the place and quite frankly the 'discovery'.  I thought this place was supposed to suck?!  Who knew it was this great?

Then two days at Sand Hills.... awesome Sand Hills!  It was terrific, so cool, so beautiful!  But I told the guys, I told Tim Bert in an email, that I  missed DR.  I can't help it....I love the place.  It is my preference and that is that.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 04:52:27 AM by Eric Smith »

Jeff Tang

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2010, 09:40:41 PM »
My understanding is that DR in its earlier forms was quite penal and exacting and in significant wind became almost unplayable.  I've never been there, but I'm interested if most of the changes made were geared towards softening the course overall and making it more manageable especially in heavier winds.  Has anyone played the course both pre and post changes?  I believe Adam has from reading earlier posts.

As for the photos, very cool!  Thanks for posting, I hadn't seen most of the holes before aside from the course's website.  Hopefully someday I'll make it out there, I really enjoy the look of the prairie courses.

So bad it's good!

Richard Choi

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2010, 09:41:30 PM »
Eric, there is no reason to be defensive. If everyone's opinion was the same, this would be a boring place. I am glad that someone around here is standing up for this place.

I, for one, would love it if you went in a little deeper. What exactly did you love? Was it the strategy off the tee? The greens? The general surroundings?

Inquiring minds want to know...

Mac Plumart

« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2010, 09:47:20 PM »
Eric...

I agree with the sentiment of your last post.

We played some absolutely incredible golf courses on this trip.  As you know, due to my ridiculous over-analysis I rank all of the courses I play and three of the courses we played on that trip are within the Top 10 of my favorite golf courses.  That makes for an off-the-charts amazing golf trip.  Frankly, there was no weak sister.  I would make the massive trip across the country to play anyone of those 3 courses without including any of the others...the golf and the experience was simply that good.  

The kicker (and the reason I am glad you posted this thread and those pictures) is that everyone knows that Sand Hills and Ballyneal are amazing golf courses, but Dismal gets/got no love.  I think it is worthy, at a minimium, of consideration for a game.  If it turns out to be half as much for others as it was for me (or you), it will be worth people's time.

Thanks again for posting those pictures...well except for the picture of me bending over on the 3rd green...talk about an ass shot!!!  Thanks, pal!    :)
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Eric Smith

« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2010, 09:53:38 PM »
Not being defensive fellas!  I am typing on my iPhone at dinner!! Can't make compound sentences on this thing.  I'll try to check in later from home. 

Eric

RJ_Daley

« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2010, 10:21:30 PM »
I regret that DR has been open now a few years, and all I have to go on is the on-going photos that I have been looking at since before construction commenced.  One of the ongoing concerns I have had from photos over the course of the grow-in and maturing, was the look and what appeared to be a problem area with the waste area to left of 18FW as wide or wider than the FW. 

But, these latest photos clearly show that area filling in with vegitation, giving it a better look, and probably better drainage field.  I still think it is a little distracting the way the service road and cart path cross and detract from the FW entry.  But, this is so much better than the early photos.

Eric, your photos are very good, and I appreciate the way you seem to have captured some very intriquing green contours and settings.  Nice job.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back