News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tony_Muldoon

Brancaster
« on: February 22, 2007, 04:54:56 PM »
As you drive through the village, there’s no sign indicating a golf club, just a simple ‘Beach’.

The Clubhouse is one of the very best.  Just outside the main door there’s a bowl of water for your dog. Dogs are very welcome at Royal West Norfolk.

OUT   3409 yards.
The front 9 plays mostly away from the clubhouse with the prevailing wind at your back. The Par4’s are all over 400 yards long.

The gentle first with the green on the left of the picture.

2nd
 Tee shot.  That’s my dog Jet in the foreground; he likes it best of all the courses he’s been on.

The large dark area on the left above is the first of many deep sleepered bunkers.  Mark Rowlinson has memorably described them as ‘ubiquitous wooden fortifications’. The course dates from 1892 and is relatively unchanged.
 The day I played the wind was pretty much in my face here (from the SW).  Hit a big hook into a facing wind and you get.

Donald Steel called the third a nearly perfect par 4. The diagonal tee shot.

I hit a ‘perfect’ tee shot in both AM and PM rounds; but with the wind from the right and the strong gravitational pull of a tiny gathering bunker the result was the same. It just shows I’ve got a lot to learn.

The 4th is only 115 yards but at right angles to the main direction of the rest of the course.

There’s a lot of work going on and unfortunately the sleepers seem to be loosing out to a less distinctive and more generic links reveted style.

The tee shot on 5 looks imposing from, and must have been terrifying before the Haskell.  But today a carry of 190 yards will see you safe to a blind fairway.

6th plays in opposite direction to rest of front 9.  184yrds.
It’s followed by perhaps the least memorable hole, the 7th at 493 yards, the first par 5.

This is immediately followed by the most celebrated hole.
The 494 yards are measured across 3 spits of land in a tidal creek.   Most of the time you can play shots out of the creeks as it’s only at he highest tides that they flood (check the 2nd photo at the top, the road to the clubhouse is wet and it would again be cut off that evening). Unusually for a par 5 it’s SI 1.
There’s a marker direction pole on the left hand side of the picture

The creek is only flooded at the very highest tides and you can be a member there for months or years before you see them full during a round of golf.  This is what you play off if you bite too much off.

From the centre fairway you have to choose:
A – play down this leaving 150 to the pin
B  - play straight on with a carry of at least 200 yards, but there’s approx 40 yards of angled fairway in front of the green
C – Chocks away! My best drive left about 230 yards diagonally across a second creek, to a green that has no bunkers and approx 15 yards of safety from the creek.

However with wind from the south I prefer the challenge of the 9th, 405 yards, as the best hole.
You cross the creek again to hit a diagonal tee shot.

The wind pushed my ball across the fairway and down that bank leaving the tiny target on the left of the picture. With the roll of the ball being sideward it leaves a long shot towards a tiny target, rubbish to the left, and a sleepered wall in front of another bit of creek to the right.

If you ball hits the sleepers it could go anywhere.

At the half way point it’s time to reflect on the wonderful solitude. East Anglia is famous for its big skies and you are never far from the beach and dog walkers but they do not intrude on your peace.  Songbirds are everywhere and even tough there are a few houses visible across the creeks you do feel far from the pressures of civilisation.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 06:26:56 PM by Tony Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Mark Bourgeois

Re:Brancaster
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 05:00:24 PM »
Tony,

Thanks. Why are the sleepers losing out?

Also, you seem to imply the tides don't play a significant factor most times; I had always heard you need to check them in advance or risk being prevented from entering or leaving.

Mark

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 05:05:48 PM »
Mark, the tides affect the cluhouse road most days and it does add to the air of isolation.  They advise you when you call if it will be a problem on the day you want to play.  However it's very rare to play 8&9 with water in them - but that's what makes it unique, no?

There's more bunker work on the back nine and no new sleepers so I guess it's just cost.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 05:06:26 PM by Tony Muldoon »

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2007, 01:18:32 AM »

HOME   3048 YARDS.

The back 9 plays back towards the clubhouse and the prevailing wind. However even though the holes are noticeably shorter the fairways become narrower and the greens are often perched at an angle to the wind. And where the green s are sheltered there’s a lot more contour to them.

149 yards 10th.  

11. 3rd par 5 in 5 holes

12 and 13 play at 90 degrees to the rest.

12 is a dogleg Par 4 with a raised green that has a big fall off to the front and a dell behind. A kind of raised punchbowl.

Most of the greens on the course tend to be on the small side and relatively flat.  However they have a reputation as some of the fastest in England.   The professional said that you should under read the greens on a still day but when the wind blows the ball will break a lot more or less, depending on the direction.  However in the protection of the raised bowl this green is the most contoured. Great.

Unfortunately this photo doesn’t capture the quality of the short dogleg 316 yard Par 4.  They are building more bunkers to increase the risk here but it’s a fun hole to play as long iron and then run the ball uphill between lots of bunkers.

I was told by the guys extending the next tee that the 13th had originally been strong par 3 played to the left of the picture above.  However the writer Pat Ward Thomas had left the club money in his will to build a better hole.  His ashes were then spread behind the green.  This was done in the 1970’s but the green was always different to the rest and an agronomist discovered that it was built on a bed of peat. This has now been removed and the re-laid green was being grown in.

Ward Thomas wrote for The Guardian and County Life and there’s a copy of one of his articles hanging by the bar which explains why he would choose Brancaster above all others.

The 14th fairway. 430 yards into the wind

However come up short...

The raised green

15 again there more room behind than appears.

16 lovely linksy par 4, that’s the green tucked in on the right.

17 diagonal downhill tee shot and flat green

18 shares its fairway with the first.

The room downstairs overlooking the course is wonderful.  With two coal fires, a tiny bar and great views what more could you want.  Just a week a go I had it all to myself, smoked salmon sandwich and a pint of Guinness between rounds wonderful.  Eventually a couple of members wandered in.  “What will you have Major” asked the barman.

The club is fairly restrictive about non member times.  Never in July or august.  However once they’d accepted my booking they were wonderful.  I may have been the only visitor that day but the Pro and the Assistant Secretary welcomed me by name.

This is one of the special places to golf.

Eric Franzen

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2007, 02:48:56 AM »
Thanks, Tony.

RWN simply looks like a wonderful place.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 02:49:12 AM by Eric Franzen »

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2007, 07:17:07 AM »
Tony, Thanks for the photos.  If ever you want to play Hunstanton I have a friend who is a member, which hepls to reduce the cost a bit!

Mark

Brent Hutto

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2007, 07:38:28 AM »
Thanks for the photos. For my part, your picture of the sixteenth is the one that makes the course look most inviting. As you say, very linksy.

So the fourth is a crosswind wedge/short-iron hole, right? Tiny green surrounded by trouble or not too bad?

And I'm not sure from the photo about the tee shot on the third hole. Do you aim over the OB fence (assuming that's OB) or do you play the first shot entirely to the left of the fence?

One final question...what breed is Jet? He looks like a Wolfhound but if so he's a lot trimmer and faster looking than his rather chunky cousins I've seen around here.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2007, 08:08:25 AM »
Tony:

Nice pictures.  It is a difficult course to photograph, and I suspect that's one more reason it doesn't get much love in golf course rankings.

I am planning a visit in April at the tail end of my time in the UK, using the fact that Macdonald modeled his "short" hole after the fourth at Brancaster as my excuse to make another visit -- I've played it twice before.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2007, 08:09:15 AM »
Mark thanks for the head up. About once a year I stay between Wisbetch and Kings Lynn.   I've played Seacroft, H'nston and Brancaster from there and all three are a treat in their own way.

Hunstanton was outstandingly friendly and from 6 on great fun - one of my first links outings - and I'd love to go round with someone who really knows the course.   You friend must know the old boy who just wondered up as we were putting our clubs in the car and asked how we had enjoyed ourselves.  He was pleased and then revealed he was a world class talker!  At one point he said "As James Braid told my father when he came to redo the bunkers in nineteen twenty ..."  but I couldn't get him back to topic, heard all about his county cricket days etc etc.   There's a GCA story waiting to be told.

The first golf book I was given was your Times Guide to Courses of GB&I. and both Hunstanton and RWN make it into the select 50 at the front.  This section was my first confidential introduction to the joys that great courses offer.

Brent
 Jet is a Lurcher, a breed quite recognizable in GB&I but not registered with the kennel club.  He’s 7 years old and a rescue via Battersea Dog’s Home.  They are like a smaller greyhound but fast and used for hunting Hares.  The story is that the Greyhound was the Royal Hunting dog and commoners were not allowed to own one.  However dogs do escape from time to time so I always refer to him as our little Royal B++++++!  There’s quote a lot of variation in them, some have short hair and ours may have a little saluki in him.   They are ideal pets as they will sleep 23.5 hours and then go nuts during our nightly walk.   When I released him he ran big circles of joy over the 1st/18th  covering about a mile at full  speed jinking as if chasing prey and he was very lively for about 27 holes when his sprinters lack of stamina got to him a bit.  

The third is a bite off as much as you dare. With the wind behind it’s pushing you further towards the hole. So if you play too conservatively and strike it well the bunkers on the far side come in to play.  For me the wind was pushing the ball across the fairway.

The fourth is a small green with fall offs all around and the 15th green over a ridge right behind it.

If you liked the old world qualities of Kent you would love North Norfolk with a stop off at Cambridge and Ely Cathedral on the way.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2007, 08:14:16 AM »
More pics of 4th

You can just see the back of the 4th green on the left of 15th.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2007, 09:23:27 AM »
Re: Fourth green complex

Wow, they don't lay them out like that any more. Looks like if you hoist a short iron into the breeze and it's short there's a sleeper wall and if you airmail the green you could hole out on the fifth.

You friend must know the old boy who just wondered up as we were putting our clubs in the car and asked how we had enjoyed ourselves.  He was pleased and then revealed he was a world class talker!  At one point he said "As James Braid told my father when he came to redo the bunkers in nineteen twenty ..."  but I couldn't get him back to topic, heard all about his county cricket days etc etc.   There's a GCA story waiting to be told.

Sounds like East Anglia's answer to our own Tom Paul.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 09:25:40 AM by Brent Hutto »

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2007, 12:36:32 AM »
What the hell I'm bumping this for the weekend in the hope a few more people will see it.

As anyone who's done a photo report will know they take time and I think it's a chalenge to this website that if we want more of them (an I for one sure do) we going to have to find a way for them to hang around a bit longer. There's at least one reason why this is an important course given above but there's a whole lot more that could be said about it.

enjoy your weekend. :)

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2007, 02:37:50 AM »
Tony,

Great post as TD points out it is a tough course to photograph and you've given everyone a good flavour of another old English classic. The Deal boys are visiting north Norfolk in May and looking forward to catching up with Mr Symington the new secretary and playing some cracking courses.

Jet must have felt very out of place in the land of the black and golden Labradors! Page 228 of Legendary Golf Clubs of Scotland, England, et al...... has a great picture.
Cave Nil Vino

Philip Gawith

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2007, 04:30:21 AM »
Tony - well done on publicising Brancaster! Only about two weeks ago I was wondering if this was the best course in the UK that GCA never seems to discuss. I am glad you have filled the space. My two visits there were in my pre-GCA knowledge era so my memories are mostly confined to:

- the memorable 8th and 9th holes;
- nearly driving the 13th (i think) and making someone VERY irate in the process as the ball flew past his head (my alibi is that the member told me to drive against my better instincts!)
- the very military manner of a foursomes group who blew through us like we barely existed (I think proximity to local air-force bases has shaped the membership in part?);
- the wonderful clubhouse, with that fabulous central room, and the nice lookout area above it.

Can't wait to get back there....

Eric Franzen

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2007, 06:33:38 AM »
What the hell I'm bumping this for the weekend in the hope a few more people will see it.

As anyone who's done a photo report will know they take time and I think it's a chalenge to this website that if we want more of them (an I for one sure do) we going to have to find a way for them to hang around a bit longer. There's at least one reason why this is an important course given above but there's a whole lot more that could be said about it.

Tony,

Once again, thanks for posting this.

I could put together an archive side where we could collect and sort all the links of previously published photo threads.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2007, 06:40:37 AM by Eric Franzen »

John Chilver-Stainer

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2007, 06:47:44 AM »
Thanks Tony for the great pictures.

A great example of "wooden slat" bunkers,

For a moment I thought you were taking your wallaby for a walk round the course until it turned sideways - a deerhound I assume?  ;)

JMorgan

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2007, 10:03:43 AM »
Tony, thanks for the pictures.  I was just yesterday looking for some Brancaster photos online, missed your thread last week.  

Can someone tell me:

Did #9 always play to 405 yards?
When did the model "Short" become #4?  I am assuming that it was once #5 (from CBM's Ideal Course, where it would be #7).

Kirk Gill

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2007, 10:59:47 AM »
Thanks, Tony, for the photos. I just love the way this course sits on the land - even with all the sleepers it appears a supremely natural course.....
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2007, 06:19:17 PM »

Did #9 always play to 405 yards?
When did the model "Short" become #4?  I am assuming that it was once #5 (from CBM's Ideal Course, where it would be #7).
IN golf Courses of the British Isles 1910 there's no mention of the carry accross the creek n dDarwin wrties "but a good drive on a calm day should leave us little more than a firm half-iron shot to play..." so I guess not.

George Bhato suggests that the waste area inflenced the tee shot on NGLA's Road Hole.

Also you're asking if anyone knows when Brancaster's short hole became the 4th, because troughout George's book, Macdonald refers  to it as the 5th?  When did Hutchinson do his work, as I thought it was in the 20's?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 06:20:39 PM by Tony Muldoon »

JMorgan

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2007, 06:39:51 PM »
Tony, in Scotland's Gift (p.154), CBM says of his "Short" template, "Similar 5th Brancaster with tee raised so player can see where the pin enters the hole."   Do you know how Brancaster was routed before #5 became #4?  

Also, #9 at around 350 yards would be a much different hole than today at 405y?  At least it seems that way from your photos.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 06:42:43 PM by James Morgan »

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2010, 07:59:50 AM »

Jamie Barber posted a picture - from this 2007 photo tour by Tony Muldoon - on the Punchbowl thread. I followed his link and was pleasantly surprised to find this. I thought this was a wonderful tour that was begging to be bumped again, so here goes!

I totally agree with Tony regarding the time and effort it takes to post a photo tour of a course.  It's very disappointing when a tour such as this doesn't generate the responses/discussion it warrants.

Jamie Barber

Re: Brancaster
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2010, 08:34:43 AM »
Donal - I posted a few as well from when I played last year, but alas I'm no photographer and my batteries went
http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,39885.0/

JNC Lyon

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2010, 08:43:56 AM »
Brancaster appears to be a brilliant golf course.  I know one of the course's appeals is its distance from civilization.  However, I wish it were not so far away from civilization, for my own purposes!

Even so, the course appears to be completely unique in the golf world.  Where else is there such a collection of hazards?!  Quick question about the 9th Hole.  The hole appears to be very neat and natural.  It looks as if the golfer is playing out to the end of the earth.  However, is there any real strategy to the hole?  There is certainly a diagonal tee shot across the marsh, but is there any reward for cutting off more of the marsh on the tee shot?  The right side of the fairway appears to have no more benefit than the left side.  The 3rd Hole, while far less famous, appears to be much more strategic and interesting. Thoughts?
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Jamie Barber

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2010, 08:52:58 AM »
I think when I played it was against the prevailing wind so 9th played into wind, and the problem was I couldn't hit it fair enough off the tee to be able carry to the green in GIR with my 2nd, meaning I ended up in the marsh both rounds (fortunately it was dry). If you can cut a bit of the dogleg off you get a shorter approach.

It's relatively unusual on a links but the green site means you have to take an aerial approach.

I really expected the course to play a lot shorter than it did.

JNC Lyon

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2010, 09:09:08 AM »
I guess the hole, like any other links hole, depends on the wind.  Into the wind, the tee shot presents the player with decisions.  Downwind, there seems to be very little decision-making.

I do like the look of that green site.  It is very unusual for a links course, although it is very ordinary among other types of courses.

How would you compare the 9th with the 3rd at Brancaster.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back