News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jamie Barber

Brancaster - 23rd June
« on: May 27, 2009, 05:58:55 AM »
Bit off topic, I've booked 36 holes at Brancaster (Royal West Norfolk) for 23rd June (£75). I'm pretty sure it's two ball golf so wondered if anyone from GCA fancied joining me?

So far I've booked only as a single but can't imagine it will be an issue (to make a 2 ball)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 06:09:19 AM by Jamie Barber »

Jamie Barber

Re: Brancaster - 23rd June
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 12:49:57 PM »
Well, despite being a billy-no-mates I enjoyed 36 holes at Royal West Norfolk last tuesday. I really thought it was an excellent course and I would highly recommend it.

The club itself is not at all snooty, but there is an underlying air of poshness with the former King of England as a past Captain. The barman told me membership takes at least 8 years, and even the Duke of Bedford was only 4 years in so had another 4 to go.

The course itself is not how I expected. I thought it would be short and quirky; but despite the modest yardage at only 6500 yds, it's no push-over. The front 9 in particular is very tough, with five 400+ yds par 4s, all into the wind when I played. Unusually all three par 5s are less than 500 yds, but for me only 1 was reachable in two. My camera batteries failed to last the course but here are some of the pictures I took both on the tuesday and on a visit back to the beach the following day.

Two of the clubhouse; the first shows the entrance, the second looking back from the beach. Is there a clubhouse anywhere in the UK closer to the sea?

Judging by the list of Captains, the course has close associations with the military. To get to the 1st tee, you walk across the beach through these imposing gates dedicated to our fallen. The chalk board gives the tide times since at high water the road to the course floods and the course is cut off:

The first tee. 415 yds. The whole course is built shore-side of this single large dune line which separates it from the beach. Being on a narrow stretch of land many hole cross eachother. Here the 1st and 18th fairways are shared:

The approach at the first to a green tucked into the dune on the left. It's a very tough start, playing driver then 2 iron for me into the brisk easterly wind:

The second tee - 449 yds (not getting any easier). Notice the railway sleepers which are used here more widely then anywhere else I've played:

Looking from the 2nd tee back to the clubhouse you get a real sense of the proximity of the sea:

The 3rd is also tough, 403 yds into a semi blind green. I'm guessing the sleepers help prevent erosion whilst giving the feeling the green is closer than it is. Left hand side defended by sod walled and sleeper walled pots:

The 4th is the first short hole. You cannot be short as the bunkers at the bottom are 20 feet or more below the green. Alas I hit one of the few shots I've ever hit which backed up ... and all the way to the bottom:

The 5th is the only completely blind drive. Sadly this is where the camera died....

Happily it did come back to life on the 9th which, together with the 8th, play over the tidal salt marshes. I haven't worked out how to play the 9th. It's again over 400 yards and as the photo shows you have to carry all the way into the green. I didn't reach either round but luckily the tide was out so I had a 3rd shot each time!

I managed to get a shot of the short 10th too. Interesting pots again here ... the right hand one is lined with sleepers, the other is sod wall. How would you like your pain sir?

Batteries came back for a final shot of the approach to 18:

And to close, a shot of the big Norfolk skies and picture perfect beach:

« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 01:13:13 PM by Jamie Barber »

David_Tepper

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 01:10:42 PM »
Jamie -

Thanks for those pics. Too bad you camera was not working all the around the course. Brancaster looks well worth playing.

I wonder if the beach was that close to the clubhouse when it was built.  

DT
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 01:14:01 PM by David_Tepper »

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 03:02:42 PM »
Jamie:

Did you play alone?

Thank you for the photographs, the sand sure looks closer to the Clubhouse than I remember.

Bob

Jamie Barber

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 06:25:56 PM »
Bob:

Yes I had 36 holes as a single. TBH I was amazed by how green the course was given the close proximity to the beach.

Jamie

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 05:31:26 AM »
Nice report Jamie, I've done 36 holes on my own there (well plus my dog) and depite seeing only 2 other golfers all day it added to the charm of the the place.  The remoteness and as your photos show the immense skies, make it a wonderful place to hit find and hit alone with your thoughts.

They do sufer coastal eroising and the first tee used to be nearer the tideline and it was hit accross the side of large dune with a huge bunker to carry.  This was all swept away, possibly as recently as the 70's?
Let's make GCA grate again!

James Boon

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009, 05:36:03 AM »
Jamie,

Thanks for the photos of Brancaster. I've got a few somewhere that I took with my camera phone so they aren't great quality, so I keep meaning to go back to do a full set of quality pics. Yours will keep me happy though for the time being!

I too played 36 holes as a single, and what a great experience it is at Brancaster!

Maybe Brancaster, combined with Hunstanton and either Royal Worlington or Seacroft would make a good Buda venue some time in the future?

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

ed_getka

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2009, 07:04:21 AM »
Thanks for taking the time to share the pix and your thoughts. Looks like a great place to spend the day.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Jamie Barber

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2009, 12:07:49 PM »
Maybe Brancaster, combined with Hunstanton and either Royal Worlington or Seacroft would make a good Buda venue some time in the future?
James - indeed and Woodhall Spa is only 1.5 hours away.

Cristian

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 04:45:10 AM »

Are the tidal marshes marked as water hazards? I expect not, which would make a wet ball there temporary water wouldn't it? :)

Jamie Barber

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2009, 04:22:01 PM »
Some bits are .. some aren't. E.g. on the 9th there is tidal marsh in front of the tee and down the right which is a lateral hazard, but the piece in front of the green is not.

John_Cullum

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2009, 05:41:00 PM »
The tidal areas would be within the definition of water hazard, but if the club decides that the water is so infrequent that the casual water rule would not frustrate the play of the game, then they could decide to treat the area as through the green
Raynor was a hack

James Boon

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2009, 03:48:44 AM »

Indeed, can't believe I didn't mention it? Woodhall seems so isolated from other great courses that its one I often forget about, even though its only just an hours drive from home and I've had a very enjoyable round there?
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back