News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sam Kestin

Potentially Dumb Question About Green Speeds & Slopes
« on: June 26, 2023, 07:24:37 PM »
I bet this turns out to be a dumb question with an easy and obvious answer...however...

...I hear from time to time the suggestion that we should slow down green speeds so as to permit the usage of more dramatic green contours that might be unplayable or unpleasant at modern green speeds.

My question is this:

What is the effective difference between a green with more contour running at a slower speed as compared to a green with less contour running at a higher speed?

In other words, if a putt on a given green breaks a foot from right-to-left with X% slope and Y feet of green speed, aren't there a number of combinations of contour change and green speed change whereby that same putt breaks the same one foot?

If so...what are the pros/cons of greens with slower speed/more contour as compared to faster speed/less contour?

If the greens are slowed in an amount that perfectly offsets any changes to increase their contour, what is the effective difference to the player besides having to hit the ball harder when you putt?

I suspect the answer will be less about putting and more about the shots played into and around the green, but I'm curious what the group here thinks on this.

cary lichtenstein

Re: Potentially Dumb Question About Green Speeds & Slopes
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2023, 08:52:00 PM »
Not a dumb question, depends on the severity of the slopes and the uniformity of the slopes on all 18 greens
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Charlie Ray

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2023, 11:03:00 PM »
Because fascinating greens like #16 at Pasatiempo or #2 Loop (red) become unplayable and need 'softening'

Not a dumb question... Science and arts BOTH are needed for humanity to flourish.

Mark Kiely

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2023, 12:23:20 AM »
I'm not positive, but I suspect the answer includes the number of "pinnable" areas on a green. Faster green speeds may eliminate some areas from consideration for hole placement because they're too severe. With slower surfaces, a missed putt still stops within a reasonable distance of the hole.
My golf course photo albums on Flickr: https://goo.gl/dWPF9z

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2023, 12:44:41 AM »
I'm not positive, but I suspect the answer includes the number of "pinnable" areas on a green. Faster green speeds may eliminate some areas from consideration for hole placement because they're too severe. With slower surfaces, a missed putt still stops within a reasonable distance of the hole.

Yes, think about the destination, not the journey.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back