News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Wayne_Kozun

Trees falling at ANGC
« on: April 07, 2023, 10:51:17 PM »
ANGC seems to have the ability to make fully grown pine trees appear out of nowhere.  Is it possible that the trees that fell in front of the 17th tee were recent transplants that didn't have time to establish proper roots.  If you look at the photos the root diameter doesn't seem very large.

David_Elvins

Re: Trees falling at ANGC
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2023, 11:00:16 PM »
It looks like you can see small remnants of explosives on the roots. 

Which makes sense as very little at Augusta happens by accident and they often contrive the course set up to get a close finish.

In this case it looks like, as the wind got up, the control bunker was panicking that Rahm would fall back away from Koepka.  With no lightning in the immediate area, they fell back to “Operation Fallen Trees”.  Full credit to them for pulling it off flawlessly, with the undercover safety crew discretely clearing the area of patrons to prevent injury.
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2023, 11:08:12 PM »
I'm not an arborist by any stretch… but nothing stands out as odd about that pine tree root system to me. Especially in areas where they get plenty of water.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, Garland, and Chris.

Jeff Evagues

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2023, 11:44:34 PM »
The trees were left of the tee. They don't appear to be in play.
Be the ball

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2023, 12:01:14 AM »
It looks like you can see small remnants of explosives on the roots. 

Which makes sense as very little at Augusta happens by accident and they often contrive the course set up to get a close finish.

In this case it looks like, as the wind got up, the control bunker was panicking that Rahm would fall back away from Koepka.  With no lightning in the immediate area, they fell back to “Operation Fallen Trees”.  Full credit to them for pulling it off flawlessly, with the undercover safety crew discretely clearing the area of patrons to prevent injury.

If you do a deep dive into photos of the 17th tee area pre-2010 and post-2010, it appears that these specific trees have been laying in waiting for over a decade like a couple of sleeper agents.

I'm surprised they weren't activated in 2016 or 2018, but then again, who are we to question the committee's decisions.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

John Emerson

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2023, 12:37:50 AM »
I'm not an arborist by any stretch… but nothing stands out as odd about that pine tree root system to me. Especially in areas where they get plenty of water.

Too much water and trees (and any other plant for that matter) will have shallow roots which could lead to the most recent scenario
“There’s links golf, then everything else.”

Jeff Schley

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2023, 04:16:32 AM »
Oh heavens, I'm glad no one was hurt.  Reports had many people hearing snapping trees then running for cover. Patron chairs were crushed. Skysports has the footage, which is very scary.

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/golf/12852370/tree-falls-at-augusta-in-high-winds-lucky-nobody-was-injured

No idea when those trees were moved or if they were at all, but I'm sure can you move trees safely jumps to the top of the list as a reminder. Hope it doesn't happen again.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2023, 04:17:34 AM »

Too much water and trees (and any other plant for that matter) will have shallow roots which could lead to the most recent scenario

This is likely relevant and it will be causing them to worry about repeats in future.
It's also possible there was some root disease.

If they were new or recently moved you'd clearly see a solid rootball that would have been 'anchored'.

https://www.sheltertree.com/1897-36612/staking/staking/duckbill-rootball-kit.aspx
« Last Edit: April 08, 2023, 04:39:29 AM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Thomas Dai

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2023, 10:17:14 AM »
The ghost of Bobby Jones has reaffirmed what he once said to Alistair Cooke ….. “I don’t see any need for a tree on a golf course.”
Atb

Michael Moore

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2023, 10:52:59 AM »
Here's a very thorough investigation from 1999 by my friend Hal Phillips.

https://www.halphillips.net/if-a-tree-falls-or-falls-ill-at-augusta-national-does-it-make-a-sound
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Kalen Braley

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2023, 02:05:12 PM »
Norman was spotted hoping over the fence shortly afterwards...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back