News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Paul Jones

New Orleans Country Club
« on: February 20, 2011, 07:49:07 PM »
Does anyone have any information on New Orleans Country Club.  I have not had the chance to play it yet, but have heard it is a very old and nice course.  I was also impressed to hear that the membership is full.

Tiger, Arata ?
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Bill_McBride

Re: New Orleans Country Club
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 08:42:10 PM »
Paul, the course I hear good things about is Metarie CC, old Raynor design. What's happened to both courses since Katrina?

Paul Jones

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 09:29:38 PM »
Bill,

I played Metarie CC after Katrina and they lost all of there rough from water just sitting for so long and also lost a bunch of trees.  I heard the just redid there clubhouse and have not been back in a few years. 

My friend told me that New Orleans CC is full where Metarie is not, but they were both build around the same time and only a few miles from each other.  My friend is not a member at either so this is just hear-say.

When I played Metarie, I enjoyed the green complexs but did not see much Raynor left.

Paul
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Malcolm Mckinnon

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 09:37:04 PM »
I know NOCC well, too well.

The two most prestigious country clubs in NOLA are the New Orleans Country Club and Metairie Country Club. Both are very fine clubs with golf, tennis, swimming and terrific party facilities as well as distinguished and engaging members.

The best feature of both clubs are the parties. The biggest handicap both clubs have to deal with regarding golf is the land. It is flat, flat, flat.

Metairie is originally a Seth Raynor design and has been renovated recently. I have not played the course since their renovations but have seen some pictures that suggest it was a pretty stellar job. The New Orleans Country Club was last renovated (I am not exactly sure) but I want to say in the late 1980's early 1990's. It is a moundy affair with live oaks providing some strategic problems. The climate in NOLA is not favorable for fast greens so be prepared to thump those putts.

I am most familiar with NOCC and in my opinion it is just OK. Nothing really to write home about. I would very much like to play Metairie again to see how the renovations went first hand.

Katrina submerged both properties under at least 10 feet of water. The first floor of NOCC was ruined but is now restored. Metairie ended up demolishing the old clubhouse, not a great loss in my opinion, and building a very nice brand new one.

My two cents. Try Metairie. Otherwise enjoy NOLA for what it truly excels at, Great Parties, Great Food, Great People!

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 10:02:08 PM »
It's a nice social club with good bread pudding, but like the rest of the golf in town you'd be better spending your time in the city doing other things.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 10:08:19 PM »
Not a bad course but not a great course. As others have said, very nice country club. I would certainly never put it on par with Oakbourne that's for sure.

Adam_Messix

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 08:58:46 AM »
Paul--

I'm not sure what you're looking for regarding the New Orleans Country Club.  The club is a social institution in the city and a very nice course and as you would expect given it's location, quite flat.  I think the entire golf course sits on less than 100 acres.  It's not a short course though, with the 585 yard opener being a real attention getter.  The par 3 third is a scary hole with water tight on the right side and a bunker on the left.  The 9th hole is a really interesting double doglegging par five.  I'm amazed playing the back nine how they found room to get all nine holes in but they kept coming up with room and it's not claustrophobic.  NOCC is dotted with many beautiful live oaks that break up the scene.  Bobby Weed did some nice work to course in the early 2000s.  Oh, and the bread pudding is as good as advertised but there's alot of great bread pudding in that neck of the woods. 

Metairie CC is an excellent course too.  Ron Forse and Jim Nagle worked on the course in the late 1990s.  Unfortunately, they lost a lot of beautiful live oaks during Katrina.  It's amazing that NOCC was much less affected by the storm than Metairie given their close proximitiy.  Metairie has many of the Raynor template holes and is a fun course.  They did a great job gutting the clubhouse and putting it back together after the storm.  Hopefully Ron or Jim will chime in regarding Metairie, they may be getting ready to do some more work there. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back