News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill_McBride

Out and back courses in America
« on: August 27, 2010, 09:52:23 AM »
There are many great or very good out and back links courses in the links land of the UK, but there are some great American out and back routings as well.

Interestingy, these seem to be mostly top notch courses.  I'm not sure why, but the evidence is interesting.

Pebble Beach, Cypress Point, the Valley Club, NGLA, the Creek Club, Mountain Lake....classics.

Pacific Dunes, Bandon Trails....modern classics.

What other classics am I forgetting?

Since most of these courses are on sites not constrained by narrow boundaries, I assume these routings just worked out best.  Other thoughts?

Lester George

Re: Out and back courses in America
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 09:55:04 AM »
Old White

Lester

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 10:06:27 AM »
Bethpage (Black)
Baltusrol (both)
Pine Valley
Merion

Mark McKeever

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 10:09:47 AM »
Not as well known, but Wyoming Valley CC also. (Tillie)

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010, 10:16:17 AM »
Rock Creek, Old Macdonald, Black Forest, and St. Andrews Beach from my collection.

The Valley Club and Cypress Point were narrow properties so the out and back was pretty much a given.  Pebble was a given if they wanted to get all the way from the lodge to Carmel Beach, and who wouldn't ?

Generally those are the only two reasons you wouldn't come back to the clubhouse somewhere in 18 holes.  Clients and members generally prefer it if possible.  However, the flexibility not to come back at number 9 makes a huge difference sometimes ... Both Stonewall courses, for example, worked much better by coming back to the clubhouse after 8 holes, and Pacific Dunes does come back after 7.

Ben Sims

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2010, 10:17:08 AM »
Couple of old southern gems, Augusta CC, Palmetto GC, and Aiken GC.  All out and backs.

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2010, 10:23:18 AM »
Pinehurst #2 (actually none of the 5 courses at the main clubhouse return)
Pine Needles
Southern Pines
Winchester (MA)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 10:31:36 AM by Scott_Burroughs »

jim_lewis

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2010, 10:27:27 AM »
modern:     Forest Creek North
"Crusty"  Jim
Freelance Curmudgeon

Mark McKeever

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2010, 10:34:11 AM »
Rock Creek, Old Macdonald, Black Forest, and St. Andrews Beach from my collection.

The Valley Club and Cypress Point were narrow properties so the out and back was pretty much a given.  Pebble was a given if they wanted to get all the way from the lodge to Carmel Beach, and who wouldn't ?

Generally those are the only two reasons you wouldn't come back to the clubhouse somewhere in 18 holes.  Clients and members generally prefer it if possible.  However, the flexibility not to come back at number 9 makes a huge difference sometimes ... Both Stonewall courses, for example, worked much better by coming back to the clubhouse after 8 holes, and Pacific Dunes does come back after 7.

Tom,

With that new back tee on 9 (usually with people watching from the deck) and the beating I typically take on 8 for being too bold off the tee, its good that I can walk off the old course at Stonewall at that point!

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Jeff Fortson

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2010, 10:47:01 AM »
EDIT... already mentioned.

Interestingly enough, George Thomas promoted routing a course that returns to the clubhouse after nine in GAIA. 

I do love the trek of not returning until completing a round like the ones mentioned above.  But, there is something to be said for a routing that returns to the clubhouse after nine.  It enables nine hole rounds to be walked.  Thomas's contention, I believe,  was to have an early hole return to the clubhouse as well (i.e. Riviera #2) so that matches that have to go extra holes can be completed next to the clubhouse.  I can tell you that it was always nice to get off late from work and go play 1,2,10,9,3,18 for a nice six hole round at Riv.  Sometimes I'd only have enough for two holes and play 10 and 9.  It definitely encouraged one to play instead of practice when time was limited.

Jeff F.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 10:54:45 AM by Jeff Fortson »
#nowhitebelt

Jim Nugent

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2010, 11:12:18 AM »
St. Louis CC.  The 9th tee is as far from the clubhouse you can get and still be on the course. 

Dan Kelly

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2010, 11:12:35 AM »
Another modern classic: Sutton Bay.

I don't know that any course has ever felt more like a "journey" to me.

(That's a compliment, by the way, in case you wonder.)

Pebble Beach comes close, I guess, in that regard -- but the high-priced real estate next to various holes diminishes the sense of "journey."
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Dave Herrick

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2010, 11:32:47 AM »
It would appear to me that it is a common occurrence where multiple courses depart from a single clubhouse, e.g. at Pinehurst, and it's not possible to get two greens per course near the clubhouse.

Sean_A

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2010, 11:40:35 AM »
An unusual one is Yeamans Hall.  The course doesn't come back until the 18th, but one is never too far from the house.  I am surprised nobody has ever mentioned (that I know of) this about the routing.  Its quite clever and I expect makes it easy for residents to jump on the course in various spots.

"However, the flexibility not to come back at number 9 makes a huge difference sometimes ... Both Stonewall courses, for example, worked much better by coming back to the clubhouse after 8 holes, and Pacific Dunes does come back after 7."

I actually prefer more of a 5-13 or 6-12 split for coming back to the house.  A shorter, longer or full loop is very appealing.

Ciao
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 11:43:05 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Ashridge, Kennemer, de Pan, Eindhoven, Hilversumche, Royal Ostend, Alnmouth & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Richard Choi

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2010, 11:42:16 AM »
Add Old Mac to the list!

Bill_Yates

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2010, 11:44:53 AM »
Old Del Monte in Monterey.
Bill Yates
www.pacemanager.com 
"When you manage the pace of play, you manage the quality of golf."

Jim Nugent

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2010, 11:52:36 AM »
Torrey Pines South.

Bill_Yates

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2010, 11:53:13 AM »
...and Spanish Bay
Bill Yates
www.pacemanager.com 
"When you manage the pace of play, you manage the quality of golf."

Tim Bert

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2010, 12:02:25 PM »
MPCC Shore and Dunes

Seems like a good number of courses in Bandon and Monterey!

Pinehurst #2

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2010, 12:03:13 PM »
Bill McBride,

I think you have played these two before.

MPCC, Dunes and Shore.

Bob

Bill_McBride

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2010, 12:12:16 PM »
Bill McBride,

I think you have played these two before.

MPCC, Dunes and Shore.

Bob

Bob, I have indeed played the Shore  ;D  but not yet the Dunes.

I overlooked quite a few courses I have played, primarily in the Pinehurst area and in Aiken, SC.  My memory is going about the same way my driving distance has gone......... :P

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2010, 12:32:33 PM »
CC of Rochester
Marriott Seaview - Bay
Leatherstocking
current discussee, Dismal River

JLahrman

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2010, 12:40:01 PM »
How are we defining 'out and back'?

Does it just mean that the course doesn't return to the clubhouse after nine holes?

Or does it mean that the course essentially goes out all in one general direction, and then comes back in the opposite direction?

Phil Benedict

« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2010, 12:41:08 PM »
I used to belong to a course that was out and back with the 14th tee next to the 4th green; hence a convenient 9-hole circuit of 1-4 and 14-18.  I often wonder whether this was a happy accident or part of the architect's (Ross) intent.

CJ Carder

« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2010, 12:41:48 PM »
Jim, I Hope the Torrey Pines South was a joke.  :)

I would offer up The Ocean Course @ Kiawah though.... it's not perfectly out & back in that one 9 is out and the other 9 is back.... but both 9's do go perfectly out and back by themselves.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back