News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JC Jones

The problem with this thread is that the recommendations on where to play your shots are entirely predicated on the assumption that one can control where they hit the ball.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

JC Jones

I'm bumping this thread because I've been thinking about KC and can't wait for this summer to go back.

Tim, awesome thread; Mike, awesome course; Dan, awesome turf.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Jud_T

Bump  8)
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

George Freeman

bump...

If anyone is on the fence of whether or not to take Brad up on his awesome offer, just take a spin through this thread :)
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Kalen Braley

I would love to, but alas its not in the cards again....so much golf to be played, so little time.  ;D

Matt_Ward

Just a quick comment -- how Kingsley fails to be rated among the top 50 courses in the USA boggles my mind.

Just proves how out to lunch so many people can be.

The greatness starts with the 1st tee shot and save for one or two holes on the back nine -- I'm not the biggest of fans for the 10th and 11th holes -- the place is just sensational in all ways possible.

Bill_McBride

Just a quick comment -- how Kingsley fails to be rated among the top 50 courses in the USA boggles my mind.

The greatness starts with the 1st tee shot and save for one or two holes on the back nine -- I'm not the biggest of fans for the 10th and 11th holes -- the place is just sensational in all ways possible.

That's funny, Matt, about 10 and 11.  After the wild holes that are 6, 7, 8 and 9, I thought the relative tranquility of 10 and 11 came at the perfect time in the routing.  Were 10 and 11 the first two holes, the Kingsley Club would not have anywhere near as dynamic a routing.

#10 from all the way back has to be a solid par 4, and #11 is an interesting green with all that left to right contour.

George Freeman

Would anyone be willing to go through the exercise of attempting to list 50 courses in the US that are better than Kingsley??
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Matt_Ward

Bill:

I can understand your point about the 10th and 11th - but they are not nearly in the same league as the others that one faces. No doubt few courses can ever be remotely bulletproof -- but the 10th and 11th are merely good holes for me.

I may even be convinced that Kingsley is a top 25 USA layout.

But, for sure, it's a top 50 in the USA -- how so many rating elements can be that far off truly mystifies me.

Michael Taylor

Wow. Just wow.  ;D

What a brilliant golf course that is. Hopefully someday I'll get the chance to tackle all the amazing par 5's, especially the 9th.  :D

Pup

Tim Bert

I was fortunate to catch Kingsley in some favorable light over Labor Day weekend.  Thought I'd add a few more of my favorites from the recent trip.  With a return trip to Kingsley under my belt, I can confirm that it remains the most under-rated modern gold course in America.  Oh, and Mike Hendren is dead wrong about the need for a punchbowl green on #15.   ;D

Nothing beats a walk from the cabins to the 1st tee via the warm-up hole (also known as #18).  Great morning shadows.

The view from the 1st tee never gets olds.  The sun and clouds were cooperating.

Looking back on the 2nd green.  For the record, I have completely flipped my opinion of the toughest par 3 on the front nine.  I was in the #9 camp last time around.  #2 becomes substantially harder when it is windy and you miss the green!  I was two for two last time around.

#3 green.  One of many greens where I walked off and said, "This has to be one of the best greens on the course."

Looking back on nine, with just about all of the teeing options in view

The 10th green.  I paid a lot of attention to this hole this time around because I had the least recall of it the first time around.  It is a strong par 4, and it is a varied and enjoyable test for me from the gold, blue, and white tees.

The 11th green.  I didn't get a photo of this hole last time around that I liked as much as this one.

The 11th green was a great short par 3 from the 18th tee.  With the left red pin, it is really tucked behind the bunker and the false front comes into play.  It can be played under 100 yards with the full green in view or about 120-130 nearly blind to the green.

I never grow tired of the view looking back on #12 green

The split fairway on #17 is now fully functional.  It feels like the fairway is angled such that the left side gives you a better chance to carry the roller coaster, but the right side is your best shot for optimal roll since the left side has some flat spots on the way down the hill.  Bigger hitters should aim right, but the left was a good option for me and also a helpful recovery play when I found myself in the bunkers.

JC Jones

Tim,

Thanks for your pictures.  I am always amazed at the people who feel #10 is pedestrian.  Although pictures flatten the movement, you can see undulation in the green in the picture you posted.  Couple that with the importance to take the proper angle (and club) off the tee and I think it provides great fun and great options.

Sven Nilsen

Tim,

Thanks for your pictures.  I am always amazed at the people who feel #10 is pedestrian.  Although pictures flatten the movement, you can see undulation in the green in the picture you posted.  Couple that with the importance to take the proper angle (and club) off the tee and I think it provides great fun and great options.

JC -

I think 10 is one of the most deceptive driving holes on the course.  Like 12, I'd venture a lot of people miss this fairway to the right.  The fairway is not that narrow, yet too many try to challenge the bunkers on the right.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Jud_T

JC,

The day I hit anything other than driver off 10 it will be a cold day in hell.  Unless of course I'm just trying to get in your head during our grudge match.  ;D  By the way, it must be an oversight but there's only one Michigan football team ranked in the new AP top 25, and they don't hail from East Lansing.... ;)
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Mike Hogan

The course looks great was it playing Firm and fast?

Jud_T

Mike,

It always plays firm and fast given the massive amount of sand the course sits on, the fescue fairways and the unparalelled course crew, but it rained a fair bit so the greens weren't quite up to speed.

Mike Hogan

I asked because I visited in July and it was fairly wet then although it still played firmer and faster then most couses I have played this summer. I was curious if it had dried out at all since then.  Also your your pictures looked really green you can even see the mowing pattern on some photos.
Nice picture by the way.
mike

JC Jones

JC,

The day I hit anything other than driver off 10 it will be a cold day in hell.  Unless of course I'm just trying to get in your head during our grudge match.  ;D  By the way, it must be an oversight but there's only one Michigan football team ranked in the new AP top 25, and they don't hail from East Lansing.... ;)

I'll play the hole with 3 wedges and 1 putt.

I look forward to October 9, you hash smoking, Krazy Jim's eating, Patchouli smelling wannabe hippie.

Jud_T

Hey, say what you will, but don't bring Krazy Jim's into it....

Tim Bert

JC,

I look forward to October 9, you hash smoking, Krazy Jim's eating, Patchouli smelling wannabe hippie.

You are fortunate that one-club is traditionally played on the front nine at Kingsley. Otherwise, I think you'd struggle to make your par putt.

PS - Everyone knows that the 4-iron hybrid, not the wedge, is the proper club selection for one-club at Kingsley.

JC Jones

JC,

You are fortunate that one-club is traditionally played on the front nine at Kingsley. Otherwise, I think you'd struggle to make your par putt.

PS - Everyone knows that the 4-iron hybrid, not the wedge, is the proper club selection for one-club at Kingsley.

I would LOVE to play a one-club match at Kinglsey. 

JC Jones

Hey, say what you will, but don't bring Krazy Jim's into it....

I will admit, I do love it.

JC Jones

By the way, great new website for the Kingsley Club.

John Mayhugh

Thanks for the photos, Tim.

That look from the first tee is one of my favorites anywhere.

Carl Rogers

Looks like another course where the Supt has to be careful about green speeds.  Is there a maximum reasonable speed here?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back