News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam Clayman

Golf Digest Honors Ballyneal
« on: December 05, 2006, 07:36:33 PM »
It won't hit the newstand until the 6th, but GD has placed BN as the 6th best New Private course of 2006.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 07:37:04 PM by Adam Clayman »
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

PThomas

Re:Golf Digest Honors Ballyneal
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 07:43:02 PM »
6th best??? I wonder what will be ahead of it?
198 played, only 2 to go!!

Sean Leary

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2006, 07:46:46 PM »
Disappointing. >:(

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2006, 07:48:06 PM »
6th best...you got to be kidding. What were 1-5?
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Garland Bayley

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2006, 07:51:01 PM »
It must be Huckaby's fault.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Matthew Schulte

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2006, 07:54:42 PM »
Wow!  That is amazing.  I consider Ballyneal to be in the top 10 in the US.  Must have been an amazing year for new courses.

Dave Bourgeois

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2006, 07:55:35 PM »
Sebonack, Dismal, Bayonne, and Liberty National all opened up this year.  I have to imagine Sebonack was #1.  Did any of the others rank ahead?

Tim Pitner

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2006, 07:58:06 PM »
That's ridiculous.  I haven't played the competition, but if Ballyneal is only the 6th best private course to open this year, I'm Arnie Palmer (Goldfinger, anyone?).  

Larry_Keltto

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2006, 08:04:09 PM »
It must have been the lack of carts that doomed Ballyneal. :-\

bakerg

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2006, 08:05:08 PM »
WOW!  I played most of the new courses that opened this year and nothing came close to Ballyneal.  Shows what I know.  

Oh well.  Ballyneal is just a blast to play regardless where it falls on the ranking lists.  

DTaylor18

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2006, 08:13:41 PM »
1. THE CONCESSION
2. FOREST CREEK G.C. (NORTH CSE.)
3. THE C. AT CARLTON WOODS (FAZIO CSE.)
4. CHAMPIONS RETREAT G.C. (BLUFF & ISLAND NINES)
5. 3 CREEK RANCH G.C.
6. BALLYNEAL
7. TUMBLE CREEK G. CSE. AT SUNCADIA
8. DANIEL ISLAND C. (RALSTON CREEK CSE.)
9. STONE EAGLE C.
10. TUHAYE G. CSE.

Jonathan McCord

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2006, 08:18:36 PM »
Three Courses for Mr. Doak!!!  Well Done!!!  It will be interesting to read the articles about the Best New Courses.
"Read it, Roll it, Hole it."

DTaylor18

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2006, 08:29:40 PM »
Three Courses for Mr. Doak!!!  Well Done!!!  It will be interesting to read the articles about the Best New Courses.

http://www.golfdigest.com/bestnew/index.ssf?/courses/bestnew/gd200701bestprivate.html

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2006, 08:51:33 PM »
Here's a better link:

http://tinyurl.com/y6pcyb
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2006, 09:22:21 PM »
Either this group is missing a hell of a lot of great stuff being built out there, or...well...  ::)

Adam Clayman

« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2006, 09:29:53 PM »
C'mon Guys. This a huge step for the magazine's Rankings.

Ballyneal is not your typical course. It's maintenance presentation is radiically different. It's concepts are complex to the point of needing multiple plays to realize just how much there is to take in.

Sure, I think it's the greatest member course I could'ev ever joined. But did I ever think it would fly on GD's radar? No way!

Congrats to Jack and Tony, Rees and the Faz

Mike Devries should also take a bow. Well done!

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2006, 09:41:27 PM »
Ballyneal is not your typical course. It's maintenance presentation is radically different. It's concepts are complex to the point of needing multiple plays to realize just how much there is to take in.

Adam - With statements like that you are going to make Barney's views on intellectual gobblygook look really intelligent.

Ballyneal is a golf course with 18 holes and a wonderful setting (based on pictures).  I doubt what you are saying is true or Ballyneal really isn't that good. Based on what a new member who I respect very much says about the course it was instant recognition and love for the place.  You are making it way too complicated trying to justify sixth place.

Jordan Wall

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2006, 09:43:34 PM »
I am happy Tumble Creek made that list.

I have not played Bally yet but hear it is also magnificent!

Sean Leary

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2006, 09:46:37 PM »
Is it because is isn't on the ocean? Greens too severe, or too slow most of the year. Don't get it...

Adam Clayman

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2006, 10:29:50 PM »
Geoff,
 I'm sorry, but your post read as gobbldygook to me.

The maintenance point was that the greens this year stimped in the middle 6's. If that's not different I dont know what is.

The complexity remark was a tribute to Mike Hendren's visit.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 10:43:10 PM by Adam Clayman »

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2006, 09:05:50 AM »
Adam my hat is off to you and all the other guys who are making Ballyneal part of your lives. Naturally a big congratualtions to the Neals and T Doak and company as well. I thought it should be higher in the crowd they have it in.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2006, 09:14:37 AM »
Adam -

As a GD guy, I thought it should be higher too although I did not play the courses in front of it. You have a special place there that will only get better with age and I, for one, can't wait to see it again.
Mr Hurricane

jeffwarne

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2006, 09:35:10 AM »
Intersesting that Champion's Retreat is/was closed for a year while they convert their greens from a fancy hybrid double secret dwarf bermuda to bent (I'm sure it's a world beater fancy new strain as well)

Can you accept the award if you're closed?

No doubt the members are thrilled ;)
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2006, 10:11:44 AM »
I am wondering how many panelists were able to play Ballyneal before the results were tabulated based upon when it opened for play and it is not exactly in a metropolitan area.  

It is very hard for me to comment on this without feeling that somehow I am offending the GD panelists who regularly post on GCA.  To me, all of those people, like TH, who have played and love Sand Hills will have an impossible decision as to whether Sand Hills or Ballyneal is better.  Then we read that Ballyneal is only number 6 for this year according to GD.  

Scott Szabo

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2006, 10:41:45 AM »
Congratulations to all who are part of Ballyneal.  It's truly a special place, and I wonder why it was only ranked 6th best.  Although, if you think about it, 6th best new course in the U.S. is quite an honor.

Adam, I tend to agree with you on the maintenance issue and the greens being overly slow for the better part of the year.  I think the playing conditions that are presented to the golfer have a huge impact on the initial assessment of the course, and with Ballyneal's greens being unusually slow, this had to have an impact on the ratings.

I also agree with your statement that the course will take numerous rounds before a golfer "figures out" how to best play it, which cannot be done in the one round or two that the raters had at the course.

Again, congratulations and it will only get better!
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back