News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steven Wade

The Truist (formerly Wells Fargo) at Phila. Cricket Club
« on: July 31, 2024, 04:33:29 PM »
As reported on a few podcasts, there will allegedly be a press conference next Tuesday announcing that Philadelphia Cricket Club’s Wissahickon course will host the 2025 Truist Championship. This is on account of Quail Hollow hosting the PGA Championship in 2025, so it’d be a one off and return to Charlotte.

If this turns out to be the case, how do you think the course will hold up in a signature event on the PGA tour? Generous fairways and few trees out there, plus it’s only around 7100 yards (par 70). Will the rough need to be grown out all Spring in order to put up any fight for these guys?

I hope this is the case as it’d be awesome to see the world’s best play a golden age design. There are some logistical hurdles that I’m interested to see how they’re dealt with, but a PGA Tour event in Philly at a place with some character would be really cool.

Joe Bausch

Re: The Truist (formerly Wells Fargo) at Phila. Cricket Club
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2024, 05:19:00 PM »
Little birdies had told me this was a possibility. Yay for Philly Cricket and golf in Philadelphia!
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Daryl David

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2024, 08:03:43 PM »
Well, there’s one PGA tour event I will actually watch.  :)

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2024, 08:59:56 PM »
I hope Jim Smith will still be the Director of Golf and GM.  It's possible, if I can escape the desert,  I might be able to visit Cricket on May 12 through Sunday, May 18  2025
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Matthew Rose

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2024, 11:51:34 PM »
I look forward to endless comments like "man, I wish we played more golf courses like this one" and then the tour never going back there.

American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Jon Sweet

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2024, 09:21:15 AM »
Will be interesting to see, I am not sure of the time of year but I am sure they will have it tuned up.  Played it once and was happy to do so.  Just a big championship course IMO.  I think there are other courses there with a bit more character.  Will also be interesting to see if they go with internal out of bounds as it is almost better to play down 1 fairway to 18 green.  Especially with how far those guys hit it.

DFarron

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2024, 10:11:17 AM »
Will be great to see the course but they will probably shoot -29 as they do on all the course we like architecturally such as Trinity Forest.

Brandel is correct …..there are “playing” courses and there are “tournament” courses and rarely can they intermingle 

Steven Wade

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2024, 12:50:48 PM »
they will probably shoot -29 as they do on all the course we like architecturally such as Trinity Forest.

The current course record since the Keith Foster renovation is 65. Your prediction would require the winner to beat the course record by 3 on three days of the tournament and by 4 on one of them.

I’m not saying that they won’t take it low, but I don’t think it’ll be record setting low.

Edward Glidewell

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2024, 01:04:40 PM »
they will probably shoot -29 as they do on all the course we like architecturally such as Trinity Forest.

The current course record since the Keith Foster renovation is 65. Your prediction would require the winner to beat the course record by 3 on three days of the tournament and by 4 on one of them.

I’m not saying that they won’t take it low, but I don’t think it’ll be record setting low.

I'd expect them to shoot scores somewhat similar to the Wyndham, another PGA event held on a golden age course by one of the all-time great architects.

I wouldn't be surprised if they go lower than the Wyndham, though, because the Truist will have a field full of the best players in the world as a signature event. The Wyndham doesn't get that; most of the top players aren't there.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back