News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matthew Essig

If I was playing here, following these first two holes, I wouldn't be able to stop wishing I was playing Tumble Creek instead.

I agree Michael. IMHO

Here's my look at it.
I played Tumble Creek a few years ago. Absolutely loved it. I put it at an easy #1 of the three. I wished to keep going back there. Well, my wish sort of came true. Started working there, which resulted in playing there more. I played all three courses an almost equal amount of times. As time went on, my view switched a little. Still hate Prospector.

But something about Tumble Creek seemed lacking compared to Rope Rider (sorry Tom if you read this). Rope Rider makes me think more about which side of the fairway I want to be on. Rope Rider is also, IMHO, way better with the prevailing wind of 10-25 (sometimes gusts of more) mph like I said in the first few sentences of this photo tour.

The pictures don't do Rope Rider justice when showing how the wind is an important part of every hole. There is a reason I said what the prevailing wind was doing on every hole. To start out with the first two holes on Rope Rider, they look like some two regular resort course holes with water.  But the wind completely transforms the holes. On the first, you can attempt to cut the dogleg with the helping breeze giving you a fairly short second. Hitting a shot into the first is very difficult with the helping wind though. I have seen shots land some 30 yards short, and still go over the back. On the second, looks like another dumb par 3 with water on it. So not true. If you go down the bank, you don't go in the water. The one time I have gone in the water was a god-awful hook that I have no idea where it came from. With the wind at your back, the biggest challenge is not going in the back bunker, not the water.

With the addition of the wind, there isn't a hole that isn't fun/challenging to play on Rope Rider.
I still love playing Tumble Creek, but I also love Rope Rider, too. (Not Prospector  ;) )
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 01:42:09 AM by Matthew Essig »
"Good GCA should offer an interesting golfing challenge to the golfer not a difficult golfing challenge." Jon Wiggett

Terry Lavin

Am I alone in thinking this is an incredibly unfortunate name for a golf course? 
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Carl Nichols

Am I alone in thinking this is an incredibly unfortunate name for a golf course? 

You are not.

Matthew Essig

It is named after the "Rope Riders" (the men who controlled the mining carts) who worked in the mines in the area. In the 1930's or so, the Roslyn/Cle Elum area was producing more coal than anywhere else in the country. Like Prospector, the name is a reference to the history of the area.
"Good GCA should offer an interesting golfing challenge to the golfer not a difficult golfing challenge." Jon Wiggett

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back