News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rob Rigg

Link to Pronghorn-Nicklaus Photo Tour
« on: August 25, 2009, 01:22:36 AM »
Just got back from a trip to the Bend, OR area last week and had the chance to get out to Pronghorn-Nicklaus.

Posted some pics on the site if anyone is interested.

It is a fun course and a really enjoyable walk - especially since it had some residential restrictions on the routing.

http://www.thewalkinggolfer.com/Pronghorn-Nicklaus.html

Rob Rigg

Re: Link to Pronghorn-Nicklaus Photo Tour
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 01:13:35 PM »
One bump just in case anyone missed it.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 04:47:42 PM »
Are you sure about specific placement of the ball off the tee being required on a Nicklaus oourse?

Or were you thinking about Sebonack?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Rob Rigg

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 05:00:24 PM »
Garland,

I have only seen or played a couple of Nicklaus courses and to optimize scoring ball position off the tee to set up the ideal approach to the green/pin position has been important.

Admittedly, my knowledge on JN designs is very limited, but ball control is something that I would expect to find important on any of his signature courses.

John Kirk

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 05:20:53 PM »
Are you sure about specific placement of the ball off the tee being required on a Nicklaus oourse?

Or were you thinking about Sebonack?

I played Pronghorn-Nicklaus in May, and felt there was an above average demand on tee shot placement.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 05:27:08 PM »
Interesting point. My limited experience with Nicklaus was that tee shot placement was not that critical. That concurred with what I had always read, as I understood that the approach shot placement was his emphasis.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Rob Rigg

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 05:34:08 PM »
Garland,

There are more than a few situations where the ability to carry X bunker or ridge will provide you with a real chance at hitting a par 5 in two or an ideal line into the green. On other holes, ball placement on a particular side of the fairway, like on 13 where you want to stay right of the bunker in the middle of the fairway, is important to provide the best approach to the pin.

The ability to hit accurate irons is certainly important as well. Which, like you said, seems to be standard on Nicklaus courses.

Overall, the course is playable for any golfer because there is reasonable width, but a drive on the wrong side of the fairway or in the rough will leave a tough shot at the green or force a layup.

John Kirk

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 05:36:13 PM »
Holes 2, 4, 9, 10, 11, and 16 clearly place emphasis on ball position to attack the greens.  The other par 4s and 5s also have a best line of attack, though the premium on placement is a bit less important.  Pronghorn-Nicklaus is impressive in many ways.

Holes #2 and #4 are excellent, though one might make the argument that #4 mimics the strategy at Riviera #10.

Rob Rigg

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2009, 07:08:01 PM »
John,

Have you played the Fazio?

If so, curious at to your thoughts on that course?

My caddie to me that he thinks the Nicklaus is more strategic and challenging while the Fazio is even more aesthetically pleasing.

Michael Dugger

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2009, 07:51:41 PM »
John,

Have you played the Fazio?

If so, curious at to your thoughts on that course?

My caddie to me that he thinks the Nicklaus is more strategic and challenging while the Fazio is even more aesthetically pleasing.

I don't think Nicklaus is any more strategic than Fazio, and it is surely not as wild and wooly...Fazio is fabulous.
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Rob Rigg

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2009, 08:03:13 PM »
Thanks Michael - I have heard a ton of positive things about the Fazio Course and hope to get out there at some point.

I know the Faz does not get a lot of love on the site but it sounds like his track at Pronghorn is very legit and great fun for the members to play.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2009, 09:30:12 PM »
Rob,
I played both courses on consecutive days a couple of years ago. Pronghorn-Fazio holds the #2 spot on my Oregon list. My impression was each Fazio nine was better then either Nicklaus nine. IMO it was a typical Nicklaus course as far a strategy is concerned. I had a lot of trouble with the tee shot on #14 even after scouting out the landing area and consulting the player's guide. It seems very awkward. Fazio seemed to make better use of the planned firm and very fast maintenance concept when designing the holes. They were alive and vibrant, can't say the same for the Nicklaus effort.

By the way, liked your picture of the trestle bridge at Brasada.

Rob Rigg

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2009, 10:55:17 PM »
Pete - That sounds like a course worth playing!

I would have taken a better picture of the bridge at Brasada if the course has actually been walkable :)

I was grumbling to myself the entire round.

John Kirk

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2009, 09:18:30 AM »
I have played Pronghorn-Fazio.  I like both courses very much.  Great golf facility.  Since I played each course only once, I'll withhold my opinion about which course is better.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back