News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Stambaugh

Re: Given $50k, how could your course improve?
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2009, 10:58:33 PM »
My guess is this most who respond to this question who work 'in the field' would start with an evaluation of the nerve center of the entire property- the pump station.  A gift of $50 to $100k to a Supt with a substandard pump station would be where most may look to spend it.  It's not sexy, but it's where it all starts.

Other than that, I personally would avoid spending it on anything that requires an on-going commitment of funds that may/may not be available in future years.

Right now, five years into a new irrigation system, an aggressive topdressing program has left us with a course full of sprinklers that need to be raised.  I would take a portion of the 50k and hire a staff to get that finished.  Also, I would add quick couplers at several locations throughout the course to be more efficient with hand-watering during the season.  After five seasons, we know where these need to be added, it's just a matter of having the time to get it done.

Anything left over after that I would spend on a rager for the golf course staff...

SS

Jason Topp

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2009, 11:16:24 PM »
We have done 50K per year of tree removal the last few years. 

Mike McGuire

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2009, 11:40:05 PM »
we have bought 2 new fairway mowers (90k) over the last two years that were worth the money.

New equipment not only lowered the costs to fix old stuff but the new units cut so well we stopped collecting clippings which eliminated a person on the payroll.

Sean_A

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2009, 06:14:46 AM »
Lets see, 50 large at Pennard? 

1. I would have the 17th fairway landing zone redone - that flat landing strip there is dreadful.

2. I would like to see the green for #5 extended out past the front bunkers.

50 large at Burnham?  I would try to do a few things. 

1. Create a graded slope off the left side of #8 fairway to eliminate the rough patches in the middle of the fairway.

2. Same deal for #7, but there is only one rough patch.

3. Create a graded slope down from right of the 14th green so the balls can kick in off the dune.  At the moment, balls on that line get trapped in weird little hollows making this hole far too demanding in the winter or in very dry conditions. 

4. Move the BRAND NEW bunkers on #8 forward some 30 - 40 yards.  At the moment all three (well probably cut it down to two) of the bunkers are much more in play for club golfer than for the flat belly.   

Ciao 
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Ashridge, Kennemer, de Pan, Eindhoven, Hilversumche, Royal Ostend, Alnmouth & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2009, 05:11:39 PM »
we have bought 2 new fairway mowers (90k) over the last two years that were worth the money.

New equipment not only lowered the costs to fix old stuff but the new units cut so well we stopped collecting clippings which eliminated a person on the payroll.

Is that $90k total or each?  Did it also reduce the fuel bill or was that a push?

JMEvensky

« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2009, 05:28:29 PM »

Is that $90k total or each?  Did it also reduce the fuel bill or was that a push?

Sorry to sidetrack,but is it usually more cost effective to buy a fairway mower rather than lease?What is the life expectancy?

Greg Chambers

« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2009, 05:38:15 PM »
JM,

It totally depends on the piece of equipment.  A walk mower will last forever, if maintained properly.  Buy these.  Triplexes start to go bad after about five or six years.  These should be leased.  Fairway mowers will typically last a little longer, as their engines and components are heavier duty.  These can be purchased or leased, depends on the deal you get, we always lease ours.  Tractors will last forever.  These are usually purchased.  Same with people movers.
"It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.”

Kyle Harris

« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2009, 05:39:19 PM »
How about a good mechanic for a year?

You know, one that would make all your equipment worth it?

Greg Chambers

« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2009, 05:42:44 PM »
Kyle,

If you want a good mechanic, you're going to have to pay him more than $50k.  And you're going to want to have him for more than a year.
"It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.”

Kyle Harris

« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2009, 05:43:56 PM »
Kyle,

If you want a good mechanic, you're going to have to pay him more than $50k.  And you're going to want to have him for more than a year.

Yes, I know - I was leaning toward the $100,000 mark in that regard.

JMEvensky

« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2009, 05:44:45 PM »
JM,

It totally depends on the piece of equipment.  A walk mower will last forever, if maintained properly.  Buy these.  Triplexes start to go bad after about five or six years.  These should be leased.  Fairway mowers will typically last a little longer, as their engines and components are heavier duty.  These can be purchased or leased, depends on the deal you get, we always lease ours.  Tractors will last forever.  These are usually purchased.  Same with people movers.

Thanks.I guess my default position is to lease whenever possible rather than tie up capital.This spoken as a lay person/club Board member,not a Super.

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2009, 05:53:11 PM »

Too bad the new Toro 5610 costs about $60k each decked out.....

Tony Nysse
Asst. Supt.
Colonial CC
Ft. Worth, TX
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Greg Chambers

« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2009, 05:57:56 PM »

Tony Nysse
Asst. Supt.
Colonial CC
Ft. Worth, TX

It's absurd, I asked my Toro distributor to explain these prices, and they have no answer.  Nor do the Deere guys or Jake guys.  Maybe if we all stopped purchasing new for a few years their pricing would come back to where it should be.  The purchase price for TWO fairway mowers only six years ago was $60k.

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2009, 07:03:01 PM »

Tony Nysse
Asst. Supt.
Colonial CC
Ft. Worth, TX

It's absurd, I asked my Toro distributor to explain these prices, and they have no answer.  Nor do the Deere guys or Jake guys.  Maybe if we all stopped purchasing new for a few years their pricing would come back to where it should be.  The purchase price for TWO fairway mowers only six years ago was $60k.

Its hard to justify to a membership that the fairway units that were purchased 3 years ago at $40k are now $60+. Most memberships arent going to see the small difference in quality of cut or clipping free fairways, especially if buckets were on the older machines. I think that $20k+ for the newer machines is a robbery, but at this point, other options for new equipment is small. THe price of a fairway or rough unit is the cost of a Cadillac....and now you know why golf is so expensive....

Tony Nysse
Asst. Supt.
Colonial CC
Ft. Worth, TX
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

jeffwarne

« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2009, 10:28:06 PM »
rent a wrecking ball and a bulldozer.
use the rest to clean up the clubhouse rubble ::) ::) ::) ;D
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2009, 11:36:37 PM »

If given $50k or even $100k, what could be done to improve your golf course?

I'd use the money, in a profit sharing sense, to incentivize the superintendent to improve the playing quality of the golf course.

In other words, some of the money would go toward the goal of improving course conditions with some of the money being part of a bonus package for achieving those goals.

I'd evaluate those areas where course conditions could be improved.
Tree clearing.
Widened fairways
Restored features
Etc., etc..

I'd budget amounts to accomplish those tasks with the balance of the money going to the super and staff, such that the $ 100,000 would be put to good use, today and into the future.

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2009, 01:01:52 AM »
I hate to follow Pat around and agree with him but in the arena he's imagining, I'm assuming, where $50k isn't seen as a lot of money, I'd agree.
Can we discuss strategies at clubs where $50k would be considered a substantial investment?

Lyne Morrison

« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2009, 01:55:57 AM »

Can we discuss strategies at clubs where $50k would be considered a substantial investment?

Lloyd - there are a range of areas to consider, it is best to establish your priorities based on discussions with your super, greens committee etc. You might consider one or more of the items listed below. Costs would be dependant upon site specific detail:

safety issues
water management and irrigation evaluation - outsourced
priority drainage - possibly in house labour
priority tree removal - contracted out unless in house certified
bunker renovation - infrastructure and new sand - in house labour
tee levelling - possibly contracted out with in house support
revert specific bunkers to grassy hollows - in house
path work - possibly in house or contracted out
establishment of an effective turf nursery - in house
employee education
professional consultation to establish future management of water, agronomy issues, course design isssues etc

Cheers -- Lyne

Eric Morrison

« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2009, 06:35:05 AM »
Being a municipality, $50K capital is very substantial to us...the past two years we have secured $50 K each year for improvements.
1st year - we installed drainage in our worst draining fairway, and also will be paving a couple of key cart path areas that are a mess
2nd year - rebuild a par 3 tee that just gets hammered every year as it was roughly 2000 sq.ft. on a 125 yd. par 3. (30,000+ rounds per year), add a bunker that was removed near the green, and do some more path work.
Some very good improvements...we found that doing a little each year was easier to sell than one giant project.
It is what it is.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2009, 10:45:34 PM »
Pat Mucci:
I agree w/ you in general, but at my club, the super does a great job, and IMHO i would use the money on something more directed. I would thus spend the money on tree removal:  even though the course is on a tight space and needs some trees, paring them down would make the course more fun and would improve a few greens.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back