News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rich Goodale

Re: Tampa Buddies Trip
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2014, 04:44:21 PM »
Tampa's pretty average in my experience for golf.  Spend a half day at the Dali Museum and you'll learn more about what Mackenzie was doing with his greens than playing on any course he has designed.
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2014, 05:56:44 PM »
Tampa's pretty average in my experience for golf.  Spend a half day at the Dali Museum and you'll learn more about what Mackenzie was doing with his greens than playing on any course he has designed.

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Rees Milikin

« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2014, 06:47:45 PM »
One of the better places to play in Tampa is called "Mons Venus" on Dale Mabry.

Fast and firm?

Very fast and firm though perhaps a bit manufactured for GCA types.

Also, lots of movement near the holes.

Right around the corner is Cigar City Brewing, check it out b/c it is one the top craft breweries in the US.  While your at it, go to Seminole, Mountain Lake, & Indian Creek.

Mike Tanner

« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2014, 09:13:51 PM »
I was on the Tampa area in March. Can recommend Dunedin, the paella at Columbia in Ybor City and IPAs from Cigar City Brewing. Stay away from The Dunes inSeville. Interesting routing
In the sand hills, but conditioning just awful. Greens semi-maintained, fairways and tees
Like goat tracks.
Life's too short to waste on bad golf courses or bad wine.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2014, 10:33:55 PM »
I was on the Tampa area in March. Can recommend Dunedin, the paella at Columbia in Ybor City and IPAs from Cigar City Brewing. Stay away from The Dunes inSeville. Interesting routing
In the sand hills, but conditioning just awful. Greens semi-maintained, fairways and tees
Like goat tracks.

Bummer about the Dunes at Seville, that is a very good course.  It's  unfortunately never had a lot of play.

Roger Wolfe

« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2014, 03:54:45 PM »
Just returned from a five day trip.

WW was fun.  Black Diamond Ranch was great.  The biggest and best
surprise was Juliette Falls.  Wonderful condition... fun, fun, fun.

Rob Curtiss

« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2014, 04:53:25 PM »
Juliette Falls is a great course outside of Ocala. Kind of a hidden gem. Glad to hear you liked it. The conditions have been sketchy in the past, but I have heard they are getting busier, so I would assume the conditions have been improving.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2014, 06:29:53 PM »
I have a good amount of buddy trip experience in the Tampa area, Matt.  PM me to set up a conversation.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Ben Kodadek

« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2014, 08:29:01 AM »
Just returned from a five day trip.

WW was fun.  Black Diamond Ranch was great.  The biggest and best
surprise was Juliette Falls.  Wonderful condition... fun, fun, fun.

While I agree that JF is a very fun course, I don't consider it Tampa.  It's a solid 2 hours from the airport. 

Frank Sullivan

« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2014, 08:46:20 PM »
I highly recommend Southern Hills Plantation Club (Pete Dye) just South of Brooksville.  They are now allowing limited public play.  Around $80 I believe.  Solid design with moderate elevation changes. 

BCowan

« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2014, 08:49:23 PM »
I highly recommend Southern Hills Plantation Club (Pete Dye) just South of Brooksville.  They are now allowing limited public play.  Around $80 I believe.  Solid design with moderate elevation changes. 

Thanks Frank, I am saving that advice.  If you are going to juilette falls, head over and play Ocala Golf Club...  both are a hike

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back