News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

AndrewB

Merion picture in David Eger interview
« on: November 20, 2005, 11:33:23 PM »
I was just reading the Feature Interview with David Eger (August '99) and there's a picture of Merion East's 16th hole that took me by surprise (having only seen the hole for the first time at this year's US Amateur).

Are those trees on the right-hand side of the quarry?  Does anyone know the back-story on these trees?  That is, when and why were they removed, and how has it impacted the hole?

With these trees, I presume the tee shot was much more one-dimensional than it is now, since it appears you could not play up the right side.  Did there even used to be fairway up the hill on the right along-side the quarry?  I imagine layup/recovery shots were also limited to playing just short of the quarry, rather than presenting the option of going up the right to get closer.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2005, 11:39:59 PM by Andrew Biggadike »
"I think I have landed on something pretty fine."

TEPaul

Re:Merion picture in David Eger interview
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2005, 06:13:59 AM »
Andrew:

They were removed about three or so years ago and some really good bunkers went into the hillside where they were. Everything you presume about the way the hole once played with the trees there is true. Yes, the fairway up the right side has always been there---it's always been known as "the ladies aid". Some of the good players at Merion think the removal of the trees has made the hole play easier but as you say it's not so one-dimensional for the rest now. The look of the hole is more impressive now too, in my opinion, because the quarry itself is much more highlighted on the hole again. Some trees have been removed on the left of the quarry as well.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2005, 06:15:10 AM by TEPaul »

AndrewB

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2005, 11:02:19 AM »
TEPaul,

Thanks for your reply ...

They were removed about three or so years ago and some really good bunkers went into the hillside where they were.

Was the main reason the trees were removed to open-up the hole, and not turf health issues?  The green is in sunlight in the picture, but the shadows from the trees look pretty long.

Yes, the fairway up the right side has always been there---it's always been known as "the ladies aid".

So there was an angle to the green from the right?  It looks like the last tall tree could have blocked one out completely, though I suppose if you played far enough down to get about even with the green you'd have a shot.

The look of the hole is more impressive now too, in my opinion, because the quarry itself is much more highlighted on the hole again. Some trees have been removed on the left of the quarry as well.

I agree.  When I saw the picture I thought the hole looked awful cramped by trees on both sides, in comparison to when I was there.
"I think I have landed on something pretty fine."

ChipOat

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2005, 05:40:41 PM »
Taking out those trees was a wonderful thing.

They were a classic example of Stupid Trees.  The right 1/4 of the green was blocked from the right 1/3 of the fairway.

Yes, the hole is a touch easier because now the entire fairway leaves you a shot to the entire green.  What a concept!

The hole is also much improved, IMO.

It is interesting that, in the picture, the flagstick (basketstick?) appears to be in the front (lower) part of the green.  That almost never happens, except for a couple of annual member-only events.

It's a "fun" place to play the hole, but not where you'd put it for a serious competition or even regular play.

Also note the bunker in the quarry is "white face" style - as it remains to this day.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2005, 05:45:53 PM by chipoat »

TEPaul

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2005, 06:46:07 PM »
Andrew:

For good and long players taking all the trees out on the right probably makes the hole play slightly easier but all in all I'm not so sure. When those trees were there going at the green if you were way over on the right side in the beginning of the fairway upslope on the right called "the ladies aid" would've been more difficult obviously as you'd have to go over them or around them.

But with them gone there's no question at all good and long players hit driver far more often on that tee than they did when those trees were there. Hitting driver is a very good thing to tempt, in my opinion, because it's more aggressive and more things ultimately could go both very right and probably very wrong.

I was very surprised how many competitors in the US Amateur last summer hit driver to the upslope of the "ladies aid". From there you really can't see the green well because of the height of the right side of the quarry. I saw a lot of players make some pretty remarkable errors from over there with probably not much more than a 9 iron in their hand.

The "ladies aid" itself is interesting and unique. If for whatever reason a golfer wants to use it, it just melds and merges right into the entire length of the 15th tee which with added length on #15 actually goes alongside and quite near #16 green.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2005, 06:49:25 PM by TEPaul »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back