News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rick Sides

Traveling Across the Pond
« on: May 28, 2024, 05:34:09 PM »
So finally going to Ireland this summer with family . I will play three rounds across the country . Do you suggest bringing my clubs, and If so how should I secure them based on travel nightmares where clubs are lost or destroyed. Or should I rent clubs knowing I won’t have the comfort of my sticks but knowing they won’t be lost or destroyed ?

John Mayhugh

Re: Traveling Across the Pond
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2024, 07:41:17 PM »
I'm not sure where your fear of clubs being "lost or destroyed" is coming from?
I've only flown to Ireland a handful of times, but have maybe 20 total trips to GB&I over the years where I brought along golf clubs. No damage or loss on any of those trips, and the only significant delay ever was on a trip home.
Buy an airtag and put in your bag. Don't leave clubs sitting outside a clubhouse or in the car overnight. And, if you're really worried, talk to your insurance agent.

If you want to avoid hassle, though, renting seems pretty sensible - especially if you have to pay for checked baggage.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2024, 07:45:57 PM »
I probably have made two dozen trips to GB&I with a problem with golf clubs. If you have a soft bag, buy a stiff arm to protect your driver or take the head off your woods. Most clubs have decent rentals, however.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Pierre_C

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2024, 07:50:47 PM »
Rick,

Someone once told me if you play more than 2 rounds of golf, you should bring your own clubs. Since you are with your family, there are other factors.
It's dependent on the size of your family (mom, dad, # kids, etc), number of luggage, see of car, how many towns you'll visit, direct v connecting flights, and type of golf bag. I travel frequently (Asia & Europe), fly direct when possible, usually take my clubs, & use a Sunday bag.

As long as you don't have a tight connection, your golf bag shouldn't get lost.

2 important things when flying with golf clubs:
1. remove driver & wood heads when traveling
2. have a stiff arm in the bag

So finally going to Ireland this summer with family . I will play three rounds across the country . Do you suggest bringing my clubs, and If so how should I secure them based on travel nightmares where clubs are lost or destroyed. Or should I rent clubs knowing I won’t have the comfort of my sticks but knowing they won’t be lost or destroyed ?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2024, 07:54:01 PM by Pierre Cruikshank »
"If there is a 50-50 chance that something can go wrong, then nine times out of 10 it will."
— Paul Harvey

Pierre_C

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2024, 07:51:38 PM »

Enjoy your trip...

« Last Edit: May 28, 2024, 07:54:26 PM by Pierre Cruikshank »
"If there is a 50-50 chance that something can go wrong, then nine times out of 10 it will."
— Paul Harvey

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2024, 07:52:51 PM »
I've flown to Dublin quite a bit over the past eight years. I always make sure it's a direct flight. I use a soft bag with the heavily padded top (I think it's a Club Glove) and use that mushroom-looking rod to take the pressure off my clubs. I also started taking the head off my driver even though I never had one break. Figure can't be too careful. I just make sure to take a picture of the settings so I don't have to monkey with it when I get to the course. The only time I've ever been nervous was in 2022 when we were coming out of covid and the mountains of unclaimed or "lost" bags in the Dublin airport gave me momentary panic that mine wouldn't make it. But they did.

mike_beene

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2024, 09:57:33 PM »
This may seem old fashioned, but several business cards plus a high tech tag inside your bag doesn’t hurt. While this might be a sore spot, I generally travel with any airline status cards showing and a baggage tag from the US House. If luggage gets lost that seems to get attention. People don’t steal clubs, but an AA concierge key and a government looking bag tag go before a driver or putter. A club glove holds a lot of dirty clothes.
Avoiding a close connection is preferable.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back