News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

cary lichtenstein

Bryson & Rory
« on: June 17, 2024, 07:41:07 PM »
I thought after watching the US Open for 4 straight days, rooting for both Bryson & Rory, I'd drop my 2 cents in here.

I wanted Rory to win in the worst way, I root for him every time he plays. He is soooo smooth, the best swing in golf since Freddy Couples. I wanted him to break his 10 year drought.

Bryson was a giant surprise. Boy did he ever want it and despite missing fairway after fairway, he came up with one great shot after another.

The terrible drive on 18, watching him almost unable to make a decision what to do. And then, a 55 yard bunkers shot to 4 feet, omg, unbelieveable. Bryson wanted it more.

We've all missed 3-4 footers, leaving the blade a little open at impact, easing into it. tough to hit it hard out of fear of running it 6-7 feet by.

Bryson's all around behaviour was great, he has grown up and is a star. He celebrated like the Tiger of old.

Bryson won me over, while I never liked the greens that rejected ball after ball, Bryson was the last man standing, Bravo!!!!!!!!
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Rob Marshall

Re: Bryson & Rory
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2024, 09:21:02 PM »
I agree with everything you said. One thing that was touched on, and Bryson even mentioned it. He tried to get line of sight relief on 18. Not being there but from TV it looked like line of sight only would have applied if he needed to hit a big cut but that option wasn’t possible because of the position of the root. I guess it never hurts to ask but he had to know there was no way he was entitled to it.

He played great. He’s worked hard to try and change his image. That was a great par!

I’m not sure Rory ever gets over this. He needs to make a call to Steve Williams. Harry looks like a deer in the headlights. With Steve Williams they change game plans when Cam Smith started his run, Steve Williams gets LaCava out of Rory’s way in the Ryder Cup, Rory attacks the last par 5 in LA last year with the right guidance. The next time you see Harry discussing a shot with Rory will pretty much be the first. Obviously just my opinion….hope Rory wins the British…
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2024, 08:30:31 PM »
I too hope Rory wins the British Open, but somehow I think he won't make the cut, the brain does terrible things to a great swing at times and Rory is very vunerable.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2024, 10:37:52 PM »
Someone elsewhere mentioned that pro athletes are different than us and that these types of losses don’t affect them the same way they would you or me. I tend to agree, but they are human, so there is probably some effect; but it may even be positive.

Heck, it will be a huge positive if it gets him to do Rob’s Steve Williams idea. His friend can be his road manager and Stevie can carry the bag.
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Sean_A

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2024, 02:14:51 AM »
I agree with everything you said. One thing that was touched on, and Bryson even mentioned it. He tried to get line of sight relief on 18. Not being there but from TV it looked like line of sight only would have applied if he needed to hit a big cut but that option wasn’t possible because of the position of the root. I guess it never hurts to ask but he had to know there was no way he was entitled to it.

He played great. He’s worked hard to try and change his image. That was a great par!

I’m not sure Rory ever gets over this. He needs to make a call to Steve Williams. Harry looks like a deer in the headlights. With Steve Williams they change game plans when Cam Smith started his run, Steve Williams gets LaCava out of Rory’s way in the Ryder Cup, Rory attacks the last par 5 in LA last year with the right guidance. The next time you see Harry discussing a shot with Rory will pretty much be the first. Obviously just my opinion….hope Rory wins the British…

If it were me, I would expect relief in that situation. Left of the green would have been totally out of play for me in that situation. Plus, why should there be a risk of essentially hitting what was effectively a temporary wall? But then I am constantly amazed at how close people are to the path of play for recovery shots. Jeepers, those people crowding around DeShambles recovery shot from the trees was madness.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Ashridge, Kennemer, de Pan, Eindhoven, Hilversumche, Royal Ostend, Alnmouth & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Chris Hughes

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2024, 12:04:31 AM »

I’m not sure Rory ever gets over this. He needs to make a call to Steve Williams. Harry looks like a deer in the headlights. With Steve Williams they change game plans when Cam Smith started his run, Steve Williams gets LaCava out of Rory’s way in the Ryder Cup, Rory attacks the last par 5 in LA last year with the right guidance.

Great points...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back