News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Gallaway

Chambers Bay #12
« on: August 18, 2017, 10:58:48 AM »
Watching the Amateur at Riviera yesterday, finally got the explanation that I've been looking for regarding #12 at Chambers. 

The 10th at Riviera was the major hole played while I watched and the strategy of the hole was well discussed.  The piece I took away was that for amateurs, the driver was the better play.  Driver meant you only needed to hit one good shot.  The lay-up required a well placed tee ball AND a great approach to get par.  My assumption is that for the pros, they hit any shot they attempt, well, like professionals, and they can get away with whichever strategy works best for the pin position.

To Chambers #12...I've bemoaned the hole with my cronies, because driver seems the only play to me. The lay-up requires an accurate tee ball from the amateur, which then leaves a blind 2nd.  If the 2nd isn't perfect, a 3-putt is very much in play.

I've never played Riviera (and I'm not putting CB#12 in the same class as Riv#10), but it seems to provide a greater option off the tee, which seems to be the ideal for a driveable par 4.  My experience with driveable par-4s is limited, but I really liked Dismal River White #8.  Drive the green, play to the fairway for angle of approach, or play to the fairway with distance to leave a short approach. 

Tom_Doak

Re: Chambers Bay #12
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 11:43:27 AM »
Huh?

For most players, driver on the 10th at Riviera is a train wreck waiting to happen.

For #12 at Chambers Bay, it's nearly always the best play if you are long enough to get up there, and that's why it is nowhere near as good of a golf hole.

Dan Gallaway

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 12:14:21 PM »
I quite certain that driver wouldn't be my play, but Faxon (at least I think it was Faxon) thought it was a solid play for this competition.  For me, it was a better explanation of the strategy at Chambers Bay.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 12:16:45 PM by Dan Gallaway »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 10:17:00 PM »
Huh?

For most players, driver on the 10th at Riviera is a train wreck waiting to happen.

For #12 at Chambers Bay, it's nearly always the best play if you are long enough to get up there, and that's why it is nowhere near as good of a golf hole.
For the US Am, the players can play like the pros and hit it over the green, then pitch back.

For #12 at Chambers Bay, regular amateurs can't reach the green (unless they are playing a set of tees ridiculously forward for their length. US Am players can play like the pros and hit it up into the bowl where the green is.

It seems to me that for regular amateurs both holes bring bogey into play due to the green. Riviera, size and orientation. Chambers Bay size and undulation.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Matthew Essig

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2017, 01:04:06 AM »
It seems to me that for regular amateurs both holes bring bogey into play due to the green. Riviera, size and orientation. Chambers Bay size and undulation.

+1. If the hole is cut on the front right plateau or cut back right close to the mounding that sticks in, leaving yourself a pitch off the tight turf from an awkward distance is no fun. You bring bogey into play in a hurry if you aren't careful. Also, I have been in that bunker on the left. That is the last place you want to be....

The two holes are more similar than you might think. If you lay up, it is a tricky shot, but can be pulled off with a good wedge shot. Go for the green and leave it in a good spot, it is relatively straight-forward chip/pitch. Go for the green and miss, you will be severely penalized.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 01:07:58 AM by Matthew Essig »
"Good GCA should offer an interesting golfing challenge to the golfer not a difficult golfing challenge." Jon Wiggett

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back