News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ben Sims

Overcoming the elements: gravity
« on: June 05, 2024, 04:38:15 PM »
Golf is often described as a game where we must overcome the elements. Usually this describes climatic variables like wind, temperature, or precipitation. As I was rereading the Streamsong Blue criticism thread, I remembered many other threads where tees boxes on high points are criticized. Then I saw where someone criticized steep fall offs around greens. Or having to approach a green aerially.

It struck me then that in all of these instances, the “enemy” is gravity. Gravity is potentially harder to overcome than any of the permanent forces we deal with as a species. And when an architect is acutely aware of its affect, whether making a course more easily walkable or locating and designing a green with the difficulties of overcoming or the ease of working with gravity, we tend to notice.

This discussion may seem quite obvious. But I actually don’t think so. 

Charlie Goerges

Re: Overcoming the elements: gravity
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2024, 05:20:32 PM »
I like this. I don't have a lot to add because so much of it sounds so elementary when I type it out, that it's like well of course! But it's important because it permeates everything.

I do think that by nature, it balances itself for the most part... In a "what goes up must come down" sort of way. But yeah, it can be trippy to contemplate.
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Pierre_C

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2024, 07:02:33 PM »
The Earth isn't a perfect sphere.

According to Sir Isaac Newton's Universal Law of Gravitation, the gravitational attraction between two bodies is stronger when the masses of the objects are greater and closer together. This rule applies to the Earth's gravitational field as well. Because the Earth rotates and its mass and density vary at different locations on the planet, gravity also varies.

Theoretically, a golf ball would require greater velocity to overcome gravitational force in UK v N. America.  But I'm not taking into account lift (air pressure surrounding the ball), drag, air resistance, and spin.

Image below shows where there is more gravity on Earth.

This is a gravitational image of the Earth's overall contour.

source (here)

« Last Edit: June 05, 2024, 07:21:53 PM by Pierre C »
"If there is a 50-50 chance that something can go wrong, then nine times out of 10 it will."
— Paul Harvey

Alex Miller

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2024, 07:18:15 PM »
Without gravity I'd never get the ball into the hole!

I think more often than not the answer is to embrace gravity and from a physics perspective the normal forces the ground exerts on the ball (caused by gravity on the ball). A better understanding of these forces gives a better picture of a shot will bounce and roll and how to conquer the obstacles laid out on the course.

Pierre_C

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2024, 07:40:34 PM »

I'm looking forward to humans colonizing Mars and other terrestrial bodies. Unlikely in my life time, but it will eventually happen - unless we all kill ourselves. Eventually, there will be a 1st non-Earth golf course.

Primary issues with playing golf off Earth is gravity and air pressure. Below are some avg. data points, calculated.

Without gravity I'd never get the ball into the hole!

I think more often than not the answer is to embrace gravity and from a physics perspective the normal forces the ground exerts on the ball (caused by gravity on the ball). A better understanding of these forces gives a better picture of a shot will bounce and roll and how to conquer the obstacles laid out on the course.
"If there is a 50-50 chance that something can go wrong, then nine times out of 10 it will."
— Paul Harvey

Craig Sweet

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2024, 09:06:16 PM »
If we do colonize Mars it would be a great opportunity to build 4000 yard courses right from the beginning......Oh wait!  We did that in the beginning here on earth!
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Michael Felton

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2024, 09:22:10 AM »
If we do colonize Mars it would be a great opportunity to build 4000 yard courses right from the beginning......Oh wait!  We did that in the beginning here on earth!

If I'm reading that chart right, then a 4000 yard hole would be roughly a par 5 for the pros. On the other hand, the spacesuit would probably be quite restrictive, so perhaps you're right!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back