News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Wayne_Kozun

How does ANGC rehabilitate the course after the Masters
« on: April 13, 2015, 10:07:43 PM »
I'm have attended a few times and by Sunday there are many areas where the patrons walk where the grass is completely worn away. And there are cross walks on the course where crushed stone is put down through the fairways. These areas are rarely in play for the pros (unless they hit very lingo shots) but amateurs play a different game.

What do they do to get the course back in tip top shape for members' play given that they don't really have budget restrictions?  Do they resod many areas of the rough that are worn out?  What about the cross walks and other areas?  Will it grow back naturally in a few weeks?  Do they seed it?

David_Tepper

Re: How does ANGC rehabilitate the course after the Masters
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 10:13:11 PM »
Wayne -

Are you aware the course pretty much shuts down for play within a couple of days after the Masters and is closed (I think) until October-November?

DT

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 10:16:37 PM »
I was aware that it shuts down for the summer but I thought that happens in late May, not mid April.

David_Tepper

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 10:48:22 PM »
Well, I could be mistaken about how soon the course closes after the Masters. I am sure someone will let us know if I am. ;)   

Mike_Young

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 07:15:46 AM »
It shuts down the last weekend in May.
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Steve Lapper

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 08:41:48 AM »
Mike is right. The course closes at the end of May.

I can tell you that they water the greens extensively from Sunday pm thru Monday am after the tournament. Sunday's pin positions are left intact and the entire course is softened up. Patron crosswalks across the fairway had hose line watering.

Last year, the green speeds were a very surprising 8 on the stimp for Monday's Media play day. A downhiller on 10 actually came up short of the hole ::).
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2015, 11:03:28 AM »
Last year, the green speeds were a very surprising 8 on the stimp for Monday's Media play day. A downhiller on 10 actually came up short of the hole ::).
What would the stimp have been on Sunday?  13?  Can you slow greens down that much with water?  I guess they don't cut on Monday either.

Steve Lapper

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2015, 11:26:52 AM »
What would the stimp have been on Sunday?  13?  Can you slow greens down that much with water?  I guess they don't cut on Monday either.

Yes, 13 was the # that the caddies kept using for Sunday's stimp.

I wouldn't have otherwise believed it, but if you water most of the night, don't turn on the sub-air systems and neither roll nor cut the greens, they obviously can slow up that much. As I said, it was very surprising.

The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2015, 07:57:21 PM »
The course closes in late May for members but stays open for "Appreciation Week," during which employees, corporate partners, and Masters volunteers are invited to play.

When we were there last Monday, every blade of grass was perfect (even in all spectator areas and crosswalks).  By Sunday, even with no rain, grass is missing in lots of those places.

WW

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back