News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Cliff Hamm

Re grassing with Celebration/Tiff Eagle
« on: July 01, 2016, 07:03:58 PM »
This may or may not interest anyone.  I find it interesting how quickly these grasses take and what a relatively simple process it is.  Courses are scheduled to re-open October 1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgHFB37rp0Y&feature=youtu.be

Anthony_Nysse

Re: Re grassing with Celebration/Tiff Eagle
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2016, 09:41:17 AM »
This may or may not interest anyone.  I find it interesting how quickly these grasses take and what a relatively simple process it is.  Courses are scheduled to re-open October 1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgHFB37rp0Y&feature=youtu.be

As a superintendent, I'm not sure that I would look at it as "simple." In many cases, 3 applications of herbicides, 3 weeks apart with a fertilizer application a week after each application. (if Mother Nature plays nice.) Then comes the aerification, verticutting, scalping (potential fraze mowing) and removal of dead material. Prior to planting, 3-4 different fertilizers and soil amendments need to be applied.
-Then grassing. Then rolling the sprigs and any tire marks.
-Sprigs need to be watered 6-8x a day at the very least.
-After 2 weeks or so, weekly fertilizing.
-After 3 weeks, mowing starts. Spiking/solid tine aerification to smooth out the surface and probably topdressing. -Sprigs should bet a minimum 12 weeks to grow in.

Even just a regrassing is a ton of work and logistics.
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2016, 10:00:17 AM »
Had a feeling I might insult supers.  My apologies.  From a layman perspective though it does seem simple as I'm not doing the work :)

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2016, 12:18:52 PM »
Had a feeling I might insult supers.  My apologies.  From a layman perspective though it does seem simple as I'm not doing the work :)

No worries. A "regrassing" is much less involved, per say than a renovation/rebuild. I will give you that!
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Don Mahaffey

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2016, 02:45:54 PM »
I think paying for it takes away some of the simplicity as well.

Mike_Young

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2016, 03:28:39 PM »
Seems a few different things are happening with grassing now.  I saw some photos Hal Hicks the supt at Seminole put out a few weeks ago where he just tills his existing fairways and then rolls them out and fertilizes and waters them( simple terms).  Keeps his 419 and says it works just fine.  I'm assuming Seminole could spend whatever they decided but goes with this.  Also was with a person the other day working on the Memphis CC greens rebuild.  In simple terms he told me they decided the greens mix they had was good so they removed it and reworked it and replaced it on the greens instead of hauling away or using and bringing in new.  That should be a significant savings and a much less ingress/egress issue.  Just glad to see some things simplifying....
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Craig Disher

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2016, 11:13:27 AM »
If you're interested in seeing the process, this thread from last year shows the work done at Chechessee Creek. Along with addressing some drainage issues, all the fairways and greens were regrassed with Celebration and TiffEagle. After a year, the results could hardly be better.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,61158.msg1451928/topicseen.html#msg1451928

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back