News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve Lapper

Meeting Two Fellow GCA'ers (and missing one Moron :~)
« on: May 23, 2015, 06:22:20 AM »
 While we meet (by ink) on this DG to discuss golf architectural features, courses and conditions, it serves a second purpose allowing internet introductions that often lead to personal ones. Often we are satisfied, sometimes disappointed and on rare occasions.....pleasantly surprised.

Although our fourth, (a prominent NJ-based Moron) had to bail out at the last minute up with altogether too well described dental issues ;D, I was fortunate yesterday to host two very fine young gentlemen, Benjamin Littman and Jon Cavalier ,for 36 holes.

These two guys, despite their legal degrees  8), were among the finest, most appreciative and fun folks I've met from these boards in years. That's not a knock on any other GCA'ers I've had the good fortune to share a good walk spoiled with, but it is refreshing to find relative newcomers who comport themselves in a fashion we should all strive to emulate. Again, too bad Pat wasn't able to join us.....even he could've learned a few things from a pair of fine fellows half his age!

Have a great holiday weekend everyone!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 01:29:00 PM by Steve Lapper »
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

MCirba

Re: Meeting Two Fellow GCA'ers (and missing one Moron :~)
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 10:39:51 AM »
Come on Steve, you were just so glad to ditch Patrick that any morons would have been welcome relief.  ;)
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 11:07:47 AM »
Steve - from what I can tell from their posts, Benjamin and Jon are indeed fine young gentlemen. But remember that, when it comes to gca, they stand on the broad, experienced shoulders of a moron giant!

Peter

Steve Lapper

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2015, 01:25:40 PM »
Come on Steve, you were just so glad to ditch Patrick that any morons would have been welcome relief.  ;)

Mike,

So Very True....although his mouth was in such pain, he'd have had a tough time talking....a most preferable state :o!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 05:50:18 PM by Steve Lapper »
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Steve Lapper

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2015, 01:28:17 PM »
Steve - from what I can tell from their posts, Benjamin and Jon are indeed fine young gentlemen. But remember that, when it comes to gca, they stand on the broad, experienced shoulders of a moron giant!

Peter

Peter,

They really are and everyone here should welcome them when and if possible.

As for "moron" giant, they certainly had something to learn, however in his absence, they were able to get a word in edgewise!! :D
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 05:41:51 PM by Steve Lapper »

Terry Lavin

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2015, 02:22:01 PM »
Did J Cav take any oblique angle photos of the Slapper attacking a tee shot on a hole that happened to have perfect framing and just the right amount of sun dappling to make you look like a pro playing on a Larry Lambrecht canvas???
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Jim Nugent

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2015, 02:28:37 PM »
Terry, he probably took a dozen such photos.  And Benjamin probably did the same.   Both these guys have been treating us to outstanding photo tours. 

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2015, 03:15:28 PM »
Did J Cav take any oblique angle photos of the Slapper attacking a tee shot on a hole that happened to have perfect framing and just the right amount of sun dappling to make you look like a pro playing on a Larry Lambrecht canvas???

Probably several, and each so composed as to freeze in time for all of eternity the impression of heaven meeting earth at precisely that spot on that particular golf course, with a seeming halo of gold ringing Slapper's head as the sun glints off his irons and his ball sails towards the pin in a perfect arc, a forever image of this most blissful of all games.

Peter

Benjamin Litman

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2015, 04:34:54 PM »
Allow me to return the compliment to Steve: As I told him privately, he possesses a kindness and a generosity that are all too rare these days. He is, as I've heard him described, a true friend of the game, but I'll add that he's a far better friend to people.

As for pictures, both Jon and I (deliberately) took far, far fewer than usual--our focus was on meeting and getting to know Steve--but I'll assemble and post a few after the weekend. For now, here is the one and only picture I took of our esteemed host himself--strolling peacefully toward his next hickory-played shot on the 18th hole. I'll let Peter judge whether it comes close to meeting his imagined criteria. Have a lovely holiday weekend, all, and thank you again, Steve.

"One will perform in large part according to the circumstances."
-Director of Recruitment at Agahozo-Shalom Youth Village in Rwanda on why it selects orphaned children without regard to past academic performance. Refreshing situationism in a country where strict dispositionism might be expected.

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2015, 06:49:44 PM »
Steve,
A fine thing to hear that GCA still manages to attract sterling lads and that their praises get sung.

Benjamin,
An evocative image and I suspect that the Peter Pallotta dream is nascent! However I wonder if that delphic figure, Pallotta, can foretell what the glowering clouds portend!

Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Terry Lavin

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2015, 08:22:09 AM »
Didn't mean to slight B Litt. he can click him some shutter too.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2015, 12:55:42 PM »
Steve Lapper,

Let's see, which would I prefer, sitting in the dentist's chair having not one, but two abscesses for two teeth worked on, or playing golf with you ?

It's almost a toss up. ;D

My real regret is that I didn't get a chance to meet and play golf with Ben and Jon.

I'm still loading up on antibiotics every six hours and Tylenol and Motrin, alternatively, every other two hours, so playing golf with you is starting to edge out sitting in the dentist's chair.

Hopefully, when it warms up a little, you'll come to Mountain Ridge and get a chance to see the great work Ron Prichard did.

Enjoy the rest of the Memorial Day weekend.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back