News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe_Tucholski

Broomsedge bunker style?
« on: August 07, 2024, 07:23:37 PM »
Was looking at Broomsedge and the below picture shows a bunker style I've never seen before.  It looks like they dug out the bunker, put in the drainage pattern, only put sand in the area of the drainage channels and then grassed the rest.

Anywhere else that has this type of bunker?  Is this just a temporary thing while the course grows in?

Edit: got the photo to show up
« Last Edit: August 07, 2024, 07:51:04 PM by Joe_Tucholski »

Rob Marshall

Re: Broomsedge bunker style? New
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2024, 09:11:14 PM »
Looks to me like the bunkers we put in at my club. They looked exactly the same, then we killed the grass in the bunker and filled them with sand.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2024, 11:44:27 AM by Rob Marshall »
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Ben Sims

Re: Broomsedge bunker style?
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2024, 09:39:55 PM »
I’m guessing that’s not sand in the herringbone. Likely gravel. Sand will be added later once the sod in the bunker establishes. Maybe. Unless they’re doing liners.

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2024, 10:41:44 PM »
Thanks guys.  After posting I kind of had the realization that must be what was going on.  Zooming in and it does look like gravel.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2024, 11:49:40 PM »
Sod liner in the bunkers vs. synthetic or aggregate liners.
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Anthony_Nysse

Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Sean_A

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2024, 05:27:12 AM »

Do they flip the sod?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Blake Conant

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2024, 07:33:52 AM »

Joe, I hope it works and becomes a new way to line bunkers in the south. Save a ton of money that way. Is there worry about the bermuda creeping back up through the sand?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2024, 07:44:17 AM by Blake Conant »

Mark_Fine

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2024, 08:31:14 AM »
No they don’t flip the sod.  They will kill the grass after they add the sand. That is gravel in the drainage areas.  Pretty common practice these days especially for clubs with lower budgets.  The sod IS the liner.  Helps with rock migration and also helps hold the sand in place. 

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2024, 09:10:09 AM »

Joe, I hope it works and becomes a new way to line bunkers in the south. Save a ton of money that way. Is there worry about the bermuda creeping back up through the sand?

If it does, nothing a non-selective herbicide from a spot sprayer or hand-picking cant take care of. (I hope to see more of this)
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Sean_A

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2024, 09:16:45 AM »
Have folks had issues with liners? I have been to three courses whose bunkers were recently redone. Liner sticking up through what I think is too shallow a layer of sand. On one occasion the face was exposed and I could get a stance…just kept sliding down the face. That’s probably a case of the face being too steep for the combo of layer and sand choice. Anyway, I am not overly impressed with lined bunkers.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Joe Hancock

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2024, 11:08:27 AM »

No, but like any Bermudagrass, there will be chemical burnback on occasion to keep the edges in place but not too crisp.
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2024, 01:09:54 PM »
I love the look
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Quinn Thompson

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2024, 01:12:57 PM »
What if we just stopped building new bunkers where liners were needed - whether it be grass liners, mat rolls, or billy gravel…?

Wouldn’t that be grand ? Let these small crews give their attention to the playing corridors and greens, or, vote Republican and send the maintenance staff home.

Every new course built should be concentrated on firm greens and good turf; any time wasted shoving sand back up a bunker bank should be docked on an Architect’s pay. The rains are getting worse - we’re fools if we keep on digging.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2024, 03:17:21 PM »
What if we just stopped building new bunkers where liners were needed - whether it be grass liners, mat rolls, or billy gravel…?

Wouldn’t that be grand ? Let these small crews give their attention to the playing corridors and greens, or, vote Republican and send the maintenance staff home.

Every new course built should be concentrated on firm greens and good turf; any time wasted shoving sand back up a bunker bank should be docked on an Architect’s pay. The rains are getting worse - we’re fools if we keep on digging.

Philosophically, I don’t disagree (not meaning, “I agree”, either), but….when you or I put up the money to build our own course, then we will have the opportunity to make that decision. Meanwhile…..let’s find reasonable, organic solutions to help meet golfer expectations and maintenance demands.

Niall C

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2024, 06:39:51 PM »
Or we could go the whole hog and not bother to cut any grass, that would really save money.

Niall

Quinn Thompson

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2024, 10:08:12 PM »
Or we could go the whole hog and not bother to cut any grass, that would really save money.

Niall

No, thats the whole point: let the crews concentrate on the turf ( the golf that matters ) and be done with it. As I type this, places like Broomsedge are getting pummeled by storms and typhoons and rainfalls that seem to only get stronger; year after year.

I live in Japan now, for the last 10 years. I’m observant enough to know that the rains have gotten out of hand ( yes ! in that short span of time, the rains have gotten out of hand ) - every Greenkeeper in Japan would agree with that, in their own bashful way. Every hole that is dug here and lined and filled with sand will wash a dozen plus times a year. Better Billy Bunker is the newest gimmick to arrive here to combat the problem; BBB has never seen a Japanese typhoon before…and last year was the most typhoons on written record.

If you’re gonna dig a hole these days, in heavy soil, be smart about it. I think boys like Jones and MacKenzie had it so figured out, so long ago: this Georgia clay ain’t ready for bunkers…

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2024, 10:24:40 AM »
I was at Lawsonia last year and they told me that they were doing bunker renovation in-house by removing the existing sand/dirt and then putting in two layers of sod killing each layer as they installed it and then putting the sand over it.  This process is easier and less expensive than liners and that the reason for the sod layers or liners is to prevent rocks and other materials from coming up from under the sod or liner and into the sand and it is not for drainage which is handled separately.  So far as I can see Broomsedge has installed drainage and then they will kill the grass and install the sand over it.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2024, 10:29:17 AM »
I live in Japan now, for the last 10 years. I’m observant enough to know that the rains have gotten out of hand ( yes ! in that short span of time, the rains have gotten out of hand ) - every Greenkeeper in Japan would agree with that, in their own bashful way. Every hole that is dug here and lined and filled with sand will wash a dozen plus times a year. Better Billy Bunker is the newest gimmick to arrive here to combat the problem; BBB has never seen a Japanese typhoon before…and last year was the most typhoons on written record
Are Japanese typhoons really that much different than the hurricanes that hit Florida, Texas and other parts of the US on a regular basis? 

Quinn Thompson

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2024, 10:53:33 AM »
No difference in their destruction / both are considered “Tropical Cyclones”, just depends on which body of ocean they form over.

I suppose “typhoon” sounds a bit more violent though…?

Thomas Dai

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2024, 11:09:08 AM »
Fewer bunkers, more humps and hollows with short grass and contour please.
Would be less maintenance intensive and thus less expensive yet still with provide plenty of interest and challenge plus be playable for all ages and levels of ability and physical strength.
Atb

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2024, 11:14:08 AM »
No difference in their destruction / both are considered “Tropical Cyclones”, just depends on which body of ocean they form over.

I suppose “typhoon” sounds a bit more violent though…?
Isn't the Better Billy Bunker System used in these hurricane prone areas of the US?  So then the system has been exposed to the same types of storms that are increasingly hitting Japan.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back