News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

Tommy Williamsen

Re: Cabot Bordeaux!
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2024, 01:22:39 PM »
Amazing. Canada, Scotland, Florida, St Lucia, and now France. His portfolio is growing exponentially. Can Africa and Asia be far behind?
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Thomas Dai

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2024, 01:37:54 PM »
Spotted this. Looked-up reviews from previous visitors.
Be interesting to see what happens from the on-course experience perspective as Euro golf is maybe not quite like the golf experience elsewhere.

Atb

Carl Nichols

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2024, 02:10:01 PM »
Why doesn't Tom Doak's course in Bordeaux get discussed more? 

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2024, 02:22:17 PM »
Because almost no one goes to Bordeaux to play golf.  I am as golf mad as they come and I have been to France and Italy multiple times but I have never had the urge to play golf while there as they have unique experiences that I can't find at home in Canada.

David_Tepper

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2024, 03:11:27 PM »
"Why doesn't Tom Doak's course in Bordeaux get discussed more?"

The course was discussed, with photos, earlier this month. Here is the thread:

https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,73025.0.html

Daryl David

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2024, 03:35:54 PM »
Because almost no one goes to Bordeaux to play golf.  I am as golf mad as they come and I have been to France and Italy multiple times but I have never had the urge to play golf while there as they have unique experiences that I can't find at home in Canada.

Funny. I’ve been to Bordeaux 4 times and it was basically just to golf.  Well there was eating and drinking too.  :)

Ben Stephens

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2024, 04:28:26 PM »
its becoming a pattern - was Golf du Medoc a proprietory club? ie owned by one person?

In the UK there is an ongoing trend of proprietory golf clubs being taken over - my former golf club was acquired by the Club Company who owns 16 other courses in the UK (not one of them to report back to GCA)

Daryl David

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2024, 04:53:08 PM »
its becoming a pattern - was Golf du Medoc a proprietory club? ie owned by one person?

In the UK there is an ongoing trend of proprietory golf clubs being taken over - my former golf club was acquired by the Club Company who owns 16 other courses in the UK (not one of them to report back to GCA)

Per the press articles on the sale, it was owned by two French businessmen who developed it 35 years ago.  One recently passed and the other is turning 90 this year.

Ben Stephens

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2024, 05:12:47 PM »

Per the press articles on the sale, it was owned by two French businessmen who developed it 35 years ago.  One recently passed and the other is turning 90 this year.

Thank you Daryl for letting me know.

Keith Phillips

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2024, 08:15:16 PM »
The courses look like Coore (pre-Crenshaw?) and Whitman. Strong pedigree so hopefully positioned for an upgrade and an attractive golf/wine trip combo.

Ryan Book

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2024, 09:56:35 AM »
The courses look like Coore (pre-Crenshaw?) and Whitman. Strong pedigree so hopefully positioned for an upgrade and an attractive golf/wine trip combo.

The upgrades will be, per Derek Duncan's feature on the matter, focused on the hospitality portion of the resort, with no dramatic work to the courses.
"Cops are an abomination." - C.B. Macdonald and/or Jello Biafra

@BethpageBlackMetal

Carl Nichols

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2024, 01:10:23 PM »

The course was discussed, with photos, earlier this month. Here is the thread:

https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,73025.0.html

Thanks.  I ran a search for the club name but it didn't pull up this thread.

David_Tepper

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2024, 07:18:02 PM »
Carl N. -

Yes, the Search feature here is not very helpful at all.

DT

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2024, 04:53:17 PM »
Where is "hot Yoga teacher" man when you need him.  He seemed to really like the Coore course but hated the (looks of) the hotel.

Personally I quite liked both the course and the hotel. Must have been a dozen years ago and it needed tidying then, but on the flatish terain I doubt it could ever be more than a Doak 6. Lovely greens. The knowledgeable member I played with also spoke well of the Whitman course.  I haven't been to Melbourne, but during my July visit I thought it's how I expect those courses to look and play like.

About an hour from St Emilionnaise, it makes a nice trip for Oenphiles.  Bordeaux is a cool city too.

However I have to wonder if this might also be "a pied dans l'eau"!  The coast from north of Bordeaux to south of Biarritz is for nearly two hyndred miles, one long stretch of heathy (pines!) and dunes. It was mostly marsh until Napoleon 3 planted millions of pines.   Somewhere there's room and the right terrain for a Bandon sized development (permits permitting.) 

I've also played Golf du Royan, a little to the north which had much more rolling terrain.  Another friend confirmed my favourable impressions and likewise he would have been more impressed with the course, if they'd ever turn the watering systems off - squelched accross the course in 33 degree heat!  To the south near Biarritz, Chiberta and Hoessegor are better courses.   The weather near the Bay of Biscay can be VERY mixed, but I've swum in the sea from February to October and the winters aren't that harsh.

I've often thought of a spring return.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2024, 05:00:25 PM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2024, 09:03:58 PM »

The brand of St. Emilion is heavily restricted by the local council [at the insistence of the wineries], and the golf course is in greater St. Emilionnais, not in the restricted zone.  So the name is kind of convoluted, even though everyone calls it St. Emilion GC instead of its legal name, Club de Golf Grand St. Emilionnais.

Tim Gallant

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2024, 11:07:09 AM »

Personally I quite liked both the course and the hotel. Must have been a dozen years ago and it needed tidying then, but on the flatish terain I doubt it could ever be more than a Doak 6.

Tony, that's the impression I had as well. I think Coore maximised what he could get out of that land, but at the end of the day, it's quite flat and rather featureless. I mentioned this before, but it felt more Dye-like than what we now know from Coore (and Crenshaw). For example, there is a par 3 that has shades of 17 at Kiawah (albeit, much shorter), and there is also a 5 with marsh short left. In general, Coore did a good job of orienting greens to make tee position important, and used visual deception to trick golfers into hitting into the more difficult approach areas.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2024, 05:25:48 PM »

The brand of St. Emilion is heavily restricted by the local council [at the insistence of the wineries], and the golf course is in greater St. Emilionnais, not in the restricted zone.  So the name is kind of convoluted, even though everyone calls it St. Emilion GC instead of its legal name, Club de Golf Grand St. Emilionnais.

Understood--I searched for Emilionnais and found some threads but not the most recent one.

Quinn Thompson

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2024, 07:43:38 PM »
Did work there years ago with Dave Zinkand and Sir Rod Whitman; one stint was on Bill’s course ( new tees and moving bunkers around ) and another stint was building the new range with Whitman ( as well as continuing with the bunker work on Bill’s course ).

The courses had suffered greatly when Bill Coore initially returned in the early 2000’s (?) - gorse bushes and rabbit dens had overtaken the perimeters of the golf holes, and the fairways and greens had only been mown for years, with no other maintenance practices implemented ( small crew ! ). You would walk on a green and leave footprints, balls would plug in the fairways on a summer day…that’s how much thatch had built up around the course over the years.

It’s all there though ! I think the design strategies and greens are special on both courses: the Chateaux course has 18 Bill Coore greens ( with Rod’s help ) and they are intact and big and elegant and beautiful ( and better maintained ).
It’s a little museum piece in the French countryside.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back