News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

Re: what is your golf passion/obsession
« Reply #50 on: June 01, 2024, 11:28:23 PM »
As Tom mentioned in the original post on this thread, I am on a wild quest to play every different golf course I can!  "3000" was just a good name to choose when my teenage daughter pushed me to get on Instagram @thequestfor3000 but as I tell people all the time 3000 was just a cool milestone goal, God willing I hope my health will allow me the longevity to go to 3000 and well beyond.  Currently at 2521 and counting!

While I have that quirky desire to play and track as many golf courses as possible, I'd like to hope I am not just some snobby golf course list maker.  Because while I have been blessed to have played many of the great courses in the US (97/100) and world, Those that know me know that I will just as quickly play a pasture like course along the road with an honor box as to seek out another well known course that I have already played. 

I have always enjoyed "the journey" and the people I have met almost as much (an maybe more so recently) than the courses themselves.  I wish in hindsight I would have tracked exactly all of the different people I have played with over the years.  Because in the last few years since I started tracking that, I have played with more different unique people than new courses, and I bet that has held true all of my life.  That means I have probably played with more than 2500 people over the years.  And I have met so many unique, fun, strange, (you name it) people over the years that might be more important to me now than even the course number.  I just love people!

Just today I played Sage Valley (I had played it already a couple times before) but played with a new person, and also met four new people (the caddies) and come to find out that one of the caddies was the son of a guy I had a poster of on my wall as a kid. 40+ years ago.  MN Viking great Bobby Bryant, I had almost as much fun talking with him about his dad as I did playing the golf course. 

And that is one of my many current passions as it relates to this great game!!  Meet golf people! Play with as many of the unique characters around this game as I can! 

ps if I haven't played with you I "have clubs, will travel!"
« Last Edit: June 02, 2024, 02:22:46 PM by Daryl "Turboe" Boe »
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #51 on: June 02, 2024, 04:16:26 AM »
To study the works of great golf course architects

John Handley

« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2024, 09:37:36 AM »
Kevin-

Are you studying them or trying to get to see them in person?
2024 Line Up: Spanish Oaks GC, Cal Club, Cherokee Plantation, Huntercombe, West Sussex, Hankley Common, Royal St. Georges, Sunningdale New & Old, CC of the Rockies, Royal Lytham, Royal Birkdale, Formby, Royal Liverpool, Swinley Forest, St. George's Hill, Berkshire Red, Walton Heath Old, Austin GC

PThomas

« Reply #53 on: June 05, 2024, 06:26:49 PM »
playing decent (at least Doak 4) to great courses for the first time....although I'll play anywhere with friends

I've played 1,139 so far, and started playing both GOLFWEEK lists from 2006....after July I'll have played 199 of the 200,I just need to play a certain course in Georgia to finish ....

Love playing overseas, been to Scotland, England, Wales, Ireland, etc.....Japan later this year

Retirement soon so hopefully lots more adventures
198 played, only 2 to go!!

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #54 on: June 06, 2024, 01:49:50 AM »
Kevin-

Are you studying them or trying to get to see them in person?

John

As far as I am concerned - the best way to study them is to see them in person. It doesn't mean I need to play them - I get just as much enjoyment walking a golf course and studying the design.

Bill Shamleffer

« Reply #55 on: June 06, 2024, 01:48:43 PM »
My golf book library.
776 books.
100 on architecture & golf courses.
47 about caddying/caddies.
And every Herbert Warren Wind book award winner!
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

Mike Hendren

« Reply #56 on: June 08, 2024, 12:59:08 PM »
Breaking 80 again.  82 yesterday with a dang triple.
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back