News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kirk

Re: what is your golf passion/obsession
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2024, 08:10:17 PM »
I'll take the coveted 25th reply to say...

My passion in golf has always been a well-struck iron shot.  No golf obsessions to report.

Paul Jones

« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2024, 09:24:16 PM »
I have been sitting on 49 states since 2019 (5 years) - next year I will make the pilgrimage to Alaska to play all 50 states.
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Craig Sweet

« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2024, 10:30:27 PM »
Ditto on a solid iron strike...especially a 6 or 5 iron on the face!
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2024, 11:03:36 PM »
I have been sitting on 49 states since 2019 (5 years) - next year I will make the pilgrimage to Alaska to play all 50 states.

Anchorage GC is fun.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2024, 02:04:34 AM »

Anchorage GC is fun.

I'm playing Anchorage GC in August. Alaska will be my 49th state. My wife doesn't like to fly so I haven't been able to convince her to visit Hawaii and I'd feel guilty going there without her.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2024, 12:07:34 PM »

Anchorage GC is fun.

I'm playing Anchorage GC in August. Alaska will be my 49th state. My wife doesn't like to fly so I haven't been able to convince her to visit Hawaii and I'd feel guilty going there without her.

I am in the forgiveness business. There is nothing wrong with asking for forgiveness prior to an act.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

David Wuthrich

« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2024, 12:17:15 PM »
It started out to play the Top 100 US with my brother.  I did that while he was busy working!!  He is now catching up.  We decided to play all of the great courses around the world that we haven't played, so that is what we are working on presently.  It is now about playing the great courses with great people, the many friends that I have made golfing throughout the years!

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2024, 01:17:10 PM »
My passion is playing any course for the first time.
My obsession is purchasing a logo ball cap from those I've played.

Supplemental:
My greatest joy is sharing my experience/knowledge of courses I'm familiar with to "newbies" I'm paired with each round.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2024, 01:52:55 PM »

Anchorage GC is fun.

Take a cruise to and from Hawaii. Yes, a big time and financial commitment. But all 50 is pretty cool. Plus experiencing Hawaii (not so much the golf) is unforgettable.

Ira

Bruce Katona

« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2024, 01:57:26 PM »
1. A hole in one.  Played since I was a kid - hit the stick a few times but I'm not yet an "Ace"

2. Played in Hawaii; playing across the pond in GB&I.  It doesn't have to be The Old Course (we can walk it on Sunday) but I'd love to knock it around on a few links courses.

Paul Rudovsky

« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2024, 03:06:40 AM »
Of course, I am simply perfectly normal  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Truth is, I am (for a "Type A" personality).  Really...and so is about every poster to this thread.  The good thing about our obsessions is they are fun and healthy.  I have had mine since about the late 1960's...but it started going at an accelerated pace about 30 years ago.  Around that time, I cold turkey dropped another obsession...starting the morning of Saturday November 25, 1989 I quit drinking.  At first for three weeks and a couple of fortunate things happened that required me to continue until New Years Eve some 35 days later.  By that time I had started to feel much better and most importantly I had realized that to me, everything was a "potato chip".  If had had one, I could not stop, but if I never had that first one, I did not miss it!!  Strange but true and somehow I think I ain't the only one like that!

In any case, I still absolutely understand that fact and it is a "guiding light".  Our golf related obsessions have a much much smaller chance of ruining or ending our lives...which in my mind is pretty damn good thing.

BTW, I also had quit smoking cold turkey in September 1967.  And I was never "ashamed" of that, so when I quit drinking I made sure everyone knew it...which helped me stay on my new path in several ways...

End of this "confession" and now back to mu golfing bucket lists!!

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2024, 09:23:13 AM »
I would like to play every course in Ohio.   I have made a lot of progress, but, will need a lot of help or luck to finish.

Wow. There are a lot of courses in the state.

I know, but you 'gotta have goals!'

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2024, 09:25:11 AM »
I would like to play every course in Ohio.   I have made a lot of progress, but, will need a lot of help or luck to finish.

Chris, THere's 88 counties in Ohio, do you at least have 1 play in each?  The search for hidden gems in "The Heart of it All"

Steve,

Being that there is only 10 or so public courses I have not played, and if the county has a golf course, the answer is yes.

Chris

George Pazin

« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2024, 09:58:00 AM »
My life doesn't allow for golf passions or obsessions. Just hoping to make it to Barnbougle someday, and further hope to play it with other GCAers, particularly Greg Ramsay and Paul Daley. I'll be looking up other friends Down Under if I make it, so you're all forewarned.

I have my hole in one, got it only a couple years after starting to play....Sorry, that's gotta hurt from you ace golfers who've played your entire lives. :)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Lou_Duran

« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2024, 08:01:50 PM »

With only a handful of courses left in my bucket list (the previous poster may be able to assist with one!) and my interest in golf travel waning, matching or bettering my age is my primary goal.  I've been on the cusp twice in the last two years, each time bogeying our 17th hole to miss by one stroke.  It is not an obsession just yet, though I'm thinking that if I do achieve it, perhaps it would be a good time to retire from a game which seems to be getting progressively difficult and sometimes painful. 

Jeff Schley

« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2024, 04:56:15 AM »

Chris, THere's 88 counties in Ohio, do you at least have 1 play in each?  The search for hidden gems in "The Heart of it All"

Steve,

Being that there is only 10 or so public courses I have not played, and if the county has a golf course, the answer is yes.

Chris
Chris this is a very cool goal.  How many have you done so far?  This would be a great post round discussion with anyone going over your travels in Ohio.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Darragh Garrahy

« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2024, 07:20:13 AM »
Collecting Walker Cup memorabilia.

I think the genesis was an interest in the elite amateur game combined with my club of Portmarnock having hosted it in 1991.

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2024, 08:45:27 AM »
Multiple people have talked about shooting their age.  I recently read something about a guy who has set the record doing it more than 1000 times.  Seems absolutely incredible.

My wife would probably say I've got an obsession with this site and some others based on the frequency I visit.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2024, 09:52:57 AM »
Shooting one's age is largely a function of good health and proper form.  Those who have been playing golf well since childhood can continue into their old age.  I played with a good friend on his 82nd  birthday at his home course and though he didn't putt well, he posted an easy 76.  I suspect that he broke his age at least half the time he played and he probably recorded 100 scores annually.  At Sahalee CC a few years back I was approached by a member in his early 90s looking for a game (a pigeon, more likely).  While he was filling a plate with complimentary wings, the waiter warned me that the guy scores in the 80s nearly every time he plays which he did regularly, and often beats his handicap.  I suspect that he would compete for # of life rounds at or below his age.  I just would like to do it once, hopefully before turning 90.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2024, 01:11:43 PM »
Hi. I joined the treehouse to learn more about course architecture supporting my journey to designing one.

I got to design Wolf Point for Al.
Then many saw it and admired its artistry, including Doak, Keiser, Morrissett, Ramsey, Andrew, future clients, and friends.....
I've learned how many work, shapers, superintendents, architects, and contractors over dozens of projects....
Shadowed/managed and or designed with Spann, Fazio, and Doak on entire projects, one for a historic PGA Tour stop.

My passion is getting more and more of my artistry in (or out of) every project/parcel....
Peace

p.s.
Good Luck Lou!
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Niall C

« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2024, 01:58:21 PM »
Collecting golf books. I really need to get a grip. Either that or buy a bigger home.

Niall

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2024, 05:33:33 PM »

Steve,

Chris
Chris this is a very cool goal.  How many have you done so far?  This would be a great post round discussion with anyone going over your travels in Ohio.

Jeff,

I will need to consult my spreadsheet.  I know that more than I would like have closed on the journey.  I have found a shocking number of hidden gems / really interesting courses that I never knew were there or that much fun to play.  When I started this, I was surprised to learn (not anymore of course) how great the land / landforms are in southeastern Ohio.

Chris

Ken Moum

« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2024, 08:38:29 PM »
Multiple people have talked about shooting their age.  I recently read something about a guy who has set the record doing it more than 1000 times.  Seems absolutely incredible.

My wife would probably say I've got an obsession with this site and some others based on the frequency I visit.

My uncle's college coach, T  Edison Smith did it more than 3,300 times. https://www.msumdragons.com/news/2012/1/5/GEN_0105124941.aspx

The uncle, now 90 y.o. shoots in the 80s most of the time.  Shot 78 a couple of months ago.
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2024, 11:55:55 PM »
Collecting golf books. I really need to get a grip. Either that or buy a bigger home.

Niall

I have a friend with the same passion. At the moment, he has over 7000 golf books.
St. John of the Cross

John Handley

« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2024, 06:29:59 PM »
I love playing great golf courses around the world.  To this point, it has primarily been in the US, Mexico, Scotland and Ireland.  I have started my England journey and I am totally obsessed.  I don't have a need to play all Top 100 courses just to check boxes but many of the ones I do want to play, are at that level.

I just finished a trip with Huntercombe, West Sussex, Hankley Common, Royal St. George's, Sunningdale New and Sunningdale Old. Amazing, all of them.  I love the courses, I love the architecture, I enjoyed the clubs, and the members could not have been any better.

My next trip in August includes Lytham, Birkdale, Formby and Holyoke. Than down to Swinley Forest, St George's Hill, Berkshire Red, and Walton Heath Old.  Honestly, I have some feeling that St George's Hill is going to be my favorite.

I'm already planning a 2025 trip with Morton, Alwoodley, Hollinwell, Brancaster, Hunstanton, Woodhall Spa, and Ganton. 

I think 2026 is going to be Royal Porthcawl, Burnham & Barrow, Saunton East & West, Trevose, and several rounds at St Enodoc Church.

I am trying to sneak in another with Woking, Rye, Princes, RSG, Cinque Ports, The Addington, and maybe New Zealand.

Once I get a few years of England golf squared away, I think I will tackle New Zealand and Australia.
2024 Line Up: Spanish Oaks GC, Cal Club, Cherokee Plantation, Huntercombe, West Sussex, Hankley Common, Royal St. Georges, Sunningdale New & Old, CC of the Rockies, Royal Lytham, Royal Birkdale, Formby, Royal Liverpool, Swinley Forest, St. George's Hill, Berkshire Red, Walton Heath Old, Austin GC

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back