News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rob Marshall

Re-grassing golf courses in Florida
« on: May 27, 2024, 10:30:46 AM »
The Colonial post got me thinking about this. The Creek course in my Naples housing development of Fiddlers Creek killed the grass in March and was in the process of sand capping the fairways and rebuilding the greens when I left in the middle of May. They expect to be open again in December. Is this really possible in that short of a turnaround? Fairways and greens?
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Jim_Coleman

Re: Re-grassing golf courses in Florida
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2024, 10:40:57 AM »
   Remains to be seen. Teeth of the Dog is doing  the same thing - closing January 20 with a planned reopening mid December. I suppose Florida and the DR can accomplish this faster than Dallas.

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2024, 11:43:56 AM »
Yes...club in SW Florida did it a few years ago.  As I recall they do not use seed, but sprigs of grass put down with special machine and they root and grow.  Amazingly fast!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2024, 11:54:14 AM by Cliff Hamm »

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2024, 02:01:28 PM »
The Colonial post got me thinking about this. The Creek course in my Naples housing development of Fiddlers Creek killed the grass in March and was in the process of sand capping the fairways and rebuilding the greens when I left in the middle of May. They expect to be open again in December. Is this really possible in that short of a turnaround? Fairways and greens?

Yes. 12 weeks, sprigs to playable turf is comfortably achievable. Remember, there is not "cushion" the first year, so areas where there is concentrated cart traffic will thin.

Colonial was sodding in October, where bermudagrass growth significantly slows down, in fact basically just stays green. Bermudagrass greens up, but actually starts to move in late April, early May in north Texas. Very different climates.

How do I know? I was at Colonial for the last renovation...:)
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back