News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam Lawrence

Addington
« on: May 15, 2024, 06:43:55 AM »
I was at the Addington yesterday for a small ceremony to celebrate the opening of a 'new' par three to a hundred and eleven year old green site, which was revealed by tree clearance as part of the restoration project being led by Clayton, DeVries and Pont. Was a fun affair, and it's lovely to see the course improving so much -- when the project is complete, it really is going to be acclaimed, once again, as one of the very best inland courses in the UK.

Here's my story from the GCA site:

https://www.golfcoursearchitecture.net/content/new-par-three-opens-at-restored-addington

MD Ryan Noades has some _very_ big aspirations for the place. One to keep watching.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2024, 07:28:30 AM by Adam Lawrence »
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Tim Gallant

Re: Addington
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2024, 07:23:20 AM »
Thanks Adam! I love the Addington and agree that I think it will be quite something once the restoration is complete. Did you get a chance to look at the 'new' bunker work? How does it tie-in with the rest of the property?

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2024, 07:30:40 AM »
I didn't tour the whole course, so only saw the bunker work that was on the holes we traversed to get to and from the new hole, but it looks good. I'd say it's quite low impact (though I don't suppose that will be the case from a playing pov, a slightly more heavily bunkered Addington has the potential to be really quite difficult I think). The bunkers really didn't stand out as being new. The only thing I commented on was the thirteenth, which is looking stunning now.
Adam Lawrence

Tim Gallant

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2024, 07:33:39 AM »
I didn't tour the whole course, so only saw the bunker work that was on the holes we traversed to get to and from the new hole, but it looks good. I'd say it's quite low impact (though I don't suppose that will be the case from a playing pov, a slightly more heavily bunkered Addington has the potential to be really quite difficult I think). The bunkers really didn't stand out as being new. The only thing I commented on was the thirteenth, which is looking stunning now.

Amazing! Can't wait to get back as it's been nearly 2 years now :) Far too long!

Niall C

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2024, 07:47:21 AM »
Thanks Adam

Addington is one of those almost mythical places I'd very much like to see but somehow never seem to get round to visiting. I really should make the effort.

Niall

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2024, 07:55:58 AM »
Here's a plan of the new green, which will give an indication of how severe it is.

https://x.com/hasimmersive/status/1790637187337199692

Niall, given the distance involved I think I would advise waiting a year or two before making your Addington bow. It's cool now but when a bit more of the work, notably the radical green expansions at the seventh and seventeenth holes is complete it'll be a very special place indeed.
Adam Lawrence

Michael George

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2024, 02:33:52 PM »
What is left in the restoration?  When will it be done?
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Sean_A

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2024, 06:18:28 PM »

I think as much as funds will allow over time. Plus there is a large wish list of improvements if opportunities arise. Ryan is a mile a minute talker with plans.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Ashridge, Kennemer, de Pan, Eindhoven, Hilversumche, Royal Ostend, Alnmouth & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM »

We looked at a few things yesterday.
Lots of green expansions - getting back to the original edges.
A new tee left at the 13th and perhaps one back and right at 18. It'd be another crossover (over 17 green) but it's a better line, further from the road and adds 30 yards.
The original photo of the 7th hole showed a much different right side of the green and we're thinking of altering the green complex there.
When Ryan ultimately builds the new clubhouse, the 5th becomes the 1st and the 4th the finishing hole - which was the original plan.
The fate of the 1st - the uphill 3 - is a bit dependent on where a new entrance road might go.

Niall C

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2024, 04:23:39 AM »
Mike

Are the "new" holes a restoration of what was there, or perhaps originally planned way back when, or are they a totally new concept ?

Niall

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2024, 01:10:48 AM »
Mike

Are the "new" holes a restoration of what was there, or perhaps originally planned way back when, or are they a totally new concept ?

Niall

Niall,

The new 19th green was in the same place as the 'lost green' which was abandoned way back when the course opened. It was perhaps an alternate green for the 12th - but never a part of a spare hole.
Building a tee back there allowed the 10th (a short 4) to be played as a par 5 and I think it's better longer.

Sean_A

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2024, 03:12:51 AM »
Mike

Niall

Niall,

The new 19th green was in the same place as the 'lost green' which was abandoned way back when the course opened. It was perhaps an alternate green for the 12th - but never a part of a spare hole.
Building a tee back there allowed the 10th (a short 4) to be played as a par 5 and I think it's better longer.

My first thought when looking at the new tee was the carry to the fairway. How far is it?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Ashridge, Kennemer, de Pan, Eindhoven, Hilversumche, Royal Ostend, Alnmouth & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2024, 04:03:29 AM »
Sean,

Off the very back it's probably around 120y but the regular tee is under 100.
Women's is further forward again - but they have fewer than 10 women members. It's very difficult for them with the forced, long carries at 8,9,12 and 17.

Sean_A

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2024, 04:24:42 AM »
Sean,

Women's is further forward again - but they have fewer than 10 women members. It's very difficult for them with the forced, long carries at 8,9,12 and 17.

Thanks. Does the tee shot play over the Aber tees?

Ciao
« Last Edit: May 19, 2024, 12:37:50 PM by Sean_A »

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2024, 12:16:14 PM »
Sean,

The ideal line is probably a little further left of the old tees.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2024, 04:32:43 PM »

Even though it is quite short and par-68, The Addington reminded me more of Pine Valley than almost any other course I've seen.

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2024, 12:22:11 AM »
Tom,

it's amazing how long it plays for a course so 'short'.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back