News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Charlie Goerges

Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

MClutterbuck

Re: OT. Scheffler arrested in Bizarre incident?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2024, 10:15:10 AM »
US Police is scary... as a foreigner in the US, have always been afraid of reckless behavior I have seen from them. And I live in Latin America! This is the best example of why they should be trained different. I would be surprised if all charges are not dropped by this evening, the City and Police force will get hammered in bad press. Total overreaction and lack of understanding by that officer.

Steve Salmen

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2024, 10:17:16 AM »
I wondered if this would turn into a real life version of The Bonfire of the Vanities.  Glad to see he's playing.

Tim Martin

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2024, 10:19:54 AM »
How does this relate to golf course architecture?

Niall C

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2024, 10:43:00 AM »
How does any discussion on professional golf relate to gca ?

Niall

Rob Marshall

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2024, 11:19:48 AM »
US Police is scary... as a foreigner in the US, have always been afraid of reckless behavior I have seen from them. And I live in Latin America! This is the best example of why they should be trained different. I would be surprised if all charges are not dropped by this evening, the City and Police force will get hammered in bad press. Total overreaction and lack of understanding by that officer.

OMG, you must be kidding.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

BHoover

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2024, 11:49:38 AM »
Have any notable golf course architects been arrested? What about the gentleman from about a decade ago who was trying to pawn off phony Tillinghast drawings?

Anthony Butler

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2024, 12:00:54 PM »
Given the fact this was the scene of a recent fatal accident, there were dozens of eye witnesses to this event. According to reports, Scheffler thought he was being waved on by a one of the respondents since the Player's entrance was on the other side of the accident scene. The policeman who jumped on Scheffler's car as it came around the accident scene towards the entrance - unless he was in immediate danger of being hit - sounds like a gigantic drama queen like many police officers allegedly 'serving the community'.

Prediction: Apology from both sides and all charges dropped.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2024, 12:03:08 PM by Anthony Butler »
Next!

Michael Moore

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2024, 12:55:05 PM »
Have any notable golf course architects been arrested?

The Keith Foster case was absolutely fascinating and I wish there were a book or a documentary.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2024, 01:23:57 PM by Michael Moore »
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2024, 01:22:54 PM »
Have any notable golf course architects been arrested? What about the gentleman from about a decade ago who was trying to pawn off phony Tillinghast drawings?

The Keith Foster case was absolutely fascinating and I wish there were a book or a documentary.

For the sake of clarity (and avoidance of defamation), that's not the case BH was referring to, though I agree it was a fascinating incident.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2024, 02:09:49 PM »
I think the defense will be a "misunderstanding" of what happened.

There are Security Guards and Police, separate entities.

https://www.nbcsports.com/golf/news/scottie-scheffler-reportedly-detained-by-police-ahead-of-pga-second-round
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Michael Morandi

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2024, 02:51:39 PM »
I’ve never been arrested, but how many of us would be booked on a felony and then released quickly so that we could get to work on time?

Ken Moum

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2024, 03:00:49 PM »
I’ve never been arrested, but how many of us would be booked on a felony and then released quickly so that we could get to work on time?

Pretty sure that's none.

But I worked with law enforcement officers for more than 20 years and I'm pretty sure someone at PD headquarters said, "You arrested who? Have you lost your mind?

And that's before the call from the Mayor's office.

It sounds like mistakes were made on both sides.
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Kalen Braley

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2024, 03:01:35 PM »

I was thinking same,

Whether accidental or not, he dragged a police officer behind his car (who was in uniform and required immediate medical attention) and was charged with multiple felonies.

https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/40164654/officer-dragged-ground-trying-stop-scottie-scheffler-car

Anthony Butler

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2024, 03:21:37 PM »

I was thinking same,

Whether accidental or not, he dragged a police officer behind his car (who was in uniform and required immediate medical attention) and was charged with multiple felonies.

https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/40164654/officer-dragged-ground-trying-stop-scottie-scheffler-car

I can't imagine Scheffler was aware there was a police officer attached to his car. According to reports, he was going about 10-15mph for about 20 yards before he realized this guy had jumped on his rear bumper and stopped. My dog got hit by a car traveling 35mph and needed 5 stitches.

As I said, every city police department has enough drama-queens to start their own drag show without relying on Scottie Scheffler's courtesy car...
Next!

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2024, 03:38:13 PM »
I'm curious how he became attached to the car, like clothing got tangled in spinning wheel or something? If so, it could have been terrible.
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Matt Schoolfield

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2024, 03:50:09 PM »

Yes, I think everyone in the golf space is ignoring what is the most serious thing here:

Second-round play was delayed after John Mills, who was working as a tournament vendor, was hit and killed by a bus outside the golf course. Scheffler was not involved in the accident.

A man is dead, and as much as we can waive it away as an "accident" the family and the city need an investigation to know if a crime was committed, and inform the family, etc. The tournament may be full of pomp and circumstance, but at the end of the day, a homicide absolutely needs to be prioritized over a bunch of grown men playing a children's game on television.

I obviously don't want to pre-judge, as some folks appear certain that this is a case of police malfeasance, and also I know being a celebrity brings some risks that ordinary people don't face, but the behavior of Scheffler as reported appears to be reprehensible:

The report, a copy of which was obtained by ESPN, said detective Bryan Gillis, identified as Det. Gillis in the report, was directing traffic at Shelbyville Road near Gate 1 of Valhalla Golf Club, the site of this week's PGA Championship. Traffic outside the golf course had been stopped after a man was struck and killed by a shuttle bus around 5 a.m. ET.

The report said Gillis was standing in the middle of the westbound lanes when Scheffler's SUV pulled into the lanes to avoid the traffic backup The report said Gillis was wearing a full police uniform and a "high-visibility yellow reflective rain jacket."

Gillis stopped Scheffler's SUV and attempted to give instructions, according to the report.

"The subject refused to comply and accelerated forward, dragging Detective Gillis to the ground," the report said.

Gillis was transported to a hospital by emergency medical personnel for evaluation. The report said his uniform pants were also damaged beyond repair.

Scheffler faces charges of second-degree assault of a police officer, third-degree criminal mischief, reckless driving, and disregarding traffic signals from an officer directing traffic. The assault charge is a felony; the others are misdemeanors.

Edit: his interview went really well after the round.

Edit 2: the more I learn about this the dumber I feel about thinking it was anything other than a intense misunderstanding to a mundane situation
« Last Edit: May 19, 2024, 08:14:51 PM by Matt Schoolfield »
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green
GCA Extension v2.0.1: Firefox/Chrome

David Cronan

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2024, 04:32:47 PM »
Well, I'll pipe in.

Live in Louisville for about a dozen years or so and played Valhalla upwards of 100 times while living there. The club is located about 20 miles outside of the city and the only entrance is off a very busy 4 lane highway (Shelbyville Road/US-60). I attended a couple of PGA Championships and the Ryder Cup, both as a volunteer (our club had the 6th hole at the Ryder Cup, which is a horrible hole...there's my gca reference) and spectator, both general and VIP.

For those not taking a shuttle bus, about 99% of the parking is across the aforementioned 4 lane highway. I can't imagine how difficult the conditions must have been, both driving and as a pedestrian, at 5:00 this morning, in the rain. There's not a chance in hell that I would attempt to cross that road in those conditions and time...and I'm not victim blaming...just speaking for myself based on experiences.

I've spent more than my share of time in jails in KY (college years) and to answer an earlier question, I'd never be released from any jail within an hour of being booked for a felony. HOWEVER, Kentucky is still a big small town and there's not doubt there was tremendous interest from local and state government, as well as a contingent of concerned, private citizens.

All that said, what a horrible day for the one true victim and his family.

MClutterbuck

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2024, 06:18:05 PM »

I was thinking same,

That account is disputed by witnesses...

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2024, 08:37:19 PM »

According to one report I saw, the President of Valhalla was quickly notified and immediately called a well known local defense attorney who went to the police station. Sure, most of us wouldn’t have been able to get quality representation so quickly, but in this instance it did happen and apparently a Court hearing was set for Tuesday.

Tim
Tim Weiman

Rob Marshall

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2024, 08:58:48 PM »
Here is a pretty good summary of what happened….

https://golf.com/news/scottie-scheffler-arrest-pga-inside-story/?amp=1
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Chris Hughes

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2024, 10:53:39 PM »

I was thinking same,

I fully support our Men in Blue (and women) but there's literally zero proof Scottie "dragged a police officer behind his car".

The one legitimate one on-the-record eyewitness account seems to suggest the officer broke into a trot and tripped himself up on a curb or something like that...

Also, "multiple felonies" were not levied against Scottie -- 1 felony charge, 3 misdemeanors. 

Jay Bilas spoke on the record on Sirius XM Friday morning and described it as classic "overreach" by the cop and said in his opinion the odds of the D.A. moving forward with the charges was nil. 

I believe Jay's analysis will pan out as accurate.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2024, 10:57:06 PM by Chris Hughes »

Anthony Butler

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2024, 10:12:48 PM »
New video released of the incident has been all over the internet today. As predicted, LPD’s version of events is complete bullshit and the cop had already been disciplined for ‘neglecting’ to turn on his bodycam. Judging by his actions in the video, Detective Gillis appears to be a man with a narcissistic personality disorder and anger issues… the fact the city is standing behind him by refusing to drop the charges will end up costing them millions of dollars.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2024, 09:26:39 AM by Anthony Butler »
Next!

Matt Schoolfield

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2024, 10:29:57 PM »
New video released of the incident has been all over the internet today. As predicted, LPD’s version of events is complete bullshit and the cop had already been disciplined for ‘neglecting’ to turn on how bodycam. Detective Gilles is a man with a narcissistic personality disorder and anger issues… the fact the city is standing behind him by refusing to drop the charges will end up costing them millions of dollars.

Saw this today and am a bit livid. While I definitely hedged, I was certainly taken for a ride by what appear to be clear falsehoods from the police department.

He’s hoping this at least gets to discovery in court, if not further.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2024, 01:40:41 AM by Matt Schoolfield »
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green
GCA Extension v2.0.1: Firefox/Chrome

Michael Morandi

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2024, 11:41:08 PM »
His attorney says he won’t settle. Sounds like the attorney wants a big settlement so he can get a huge fee. Will Scottie take that route or just quietly walk away with dropped charges?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back