News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Carl Johnson

Re: Scotland trip - little things not to be missed
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2024, 09:51:28 AM »
A couple of specific extras to think about in St. Andrews: (1) R&A World Golf Museum. https://www.worldgolfmuseum.com/  and (2) St. Andrews Cemetery. https://www.haversham.com/bakers-blog/a-stroll-through-the-st-andrews-cemetery/

Another thought.  See if you can find a member of The Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St Andrews who will invite you into the clubhouse for a drink at the bar.  That would be special.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2024, 09:40:46 PM by Carl Johnson »

Tim Gallant

« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2024, 12:06:04 PM »
Woof! This thread makes it seem like Scotland is a prison! Just have fun and treat it as a once in a lifetime trip - smile and enjoy the time here. A few suggestions:

- Go for a swim at St Andrews. All the students do it, and so did Old Tom every day. It will get the blood flowing!!
- Climb North Berwick law. It looks massive, but in reality, it takes about 20-30 minutes. The view from up there is breathtaking
- Bostock bakery in East Linton and North Berwick have the best pastries.
- Bonnie Badger pub in Gullane was rated one of the best pubs in East Lothian.
- Visit Jack White's shop in Gullane - full of old hickories and trinkets. Boris is a local legend
- Stop by Archie's museum. It's inside the Gullane pro shop
- At Muirfield you must try a Kummel. It's like fighter jet fuel and you will float to the first tee and proceed to birdie the first 6 holes
- If you have time, the V&A in Dundee is worth a stop. It was designed by Kengo Kuma, who designed the Olympic Stadium in Japan
- In Elie, you must stop off for a drink at the 19th hole; at St Andrews, the Dunvegan (and the Jigger)

Hope that helps, and enjoy the time here !!

Rob Marshall

« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2024, 02:12:59 PM »
Oh Yeah,

UK folks are not like Americans. Americans just strike up conversations with total strangers. In the UK that does not work. They cringe. You need to be invited to talk.

Found that to be true in Northern Ireland but not the Republic.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

David_Tepper

« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2024, 03:29:40 PM »
If you are in a smaller town or village on a Saturday nite, ask if the local pipe band is performing. In Dornoch the village pipe band performs in the town square at 8pm every Saturday nite from late May into mid-September.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2024, 05:28:26 PM »
Oh Yeah,

UK folks are not like Americans. Americans just strike up conversations with total strangers. In the UK that does not work. They cringe. You need to be invited to talk.
Hmmm...  Not sure I agree with the latter point.  But if you are going to strike up a conversation with a stranger, don't be loud, don't tell them how things should be, listen to what they say and stop if they don't want to talk.

As to loudness, yes, that's not appreciated.  Last time I was in St Andrews, I was in a bar with a couple of Australian friends and we must have heard at least half a dozen times how much a man from Georgia sold his house for.  From a good 15 yards away.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Steve_Lovett

« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2024, 06:55:12 PM »

I am grateful for all the suggestions. We'll follow up on what we can while we're there. If anyone sees this and has other recommendations please keep them coming.

John Handley

« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2024, 06:34:04 AM »
Given the path you’re taking, it would be a big miss not to play Royal Aberdeen.  I’ve played all of the courses on your list and RA would be a strong addition. 
2024 Line Up: Spanish Oaks GC, Cal Club, Cherokee Plantation, Huntercombe, West Sussex, Hankley Common, Royal St. Georges, Sunningdale New & Old, CC of the Rockies, Royal Lytham, Royal Birkdale, Formby, Royal Liverpool, Swinley Forest, St. George's Hill, Berkshire Red, Walton Heath Old, Austin GC

Ben Sims

« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2024, 07:36:01 PM »
Oh Yeah,

From Cambridge to Nairn…couldn’t be further from my experience but to each their own (opinion).

On our third night last summer, Tom D and Clyde J walked out of the restaurant where we had a room upstairs. We knew they were in town, and had met a few days prior. As nice as it was to run into them again unexpectedly, we exchanged pleasantries and promptly returned to the highland locals that we’d been hanging with for the three days prior. And we will meet up with those same locals again this summer after staying in touch. All after me stupidly inserting myself into their Sunday afternoon conversation with an overly American self-deprecating comment.

People are people Steve. Be a good person and be genuinely interested and you can get away with an awful lot of “faux pas.”

Steve_Lovett

« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2024, 08:21:56 PM »
Given the path you’re taking, it would be a big miss not to play Royal Aberdeen.  I’ve played all of the courses on your list and RA would be a strong addition.

Thanks, John. Unfortunately, we only have time for either Cruden Bay or Royal Aberdeen and chose Cruden Bay.  Several years ago I was paired with a couple of guys playing Pinehurst #2 who lived in Aberdeen (Scotland) and were visiting the States. We had a great time playing golf together and their love for Cruden Bay was infectious. It was their home course - they loved it so much and were super proud of it so I felt compelled to visit.

I've heard and read that Royal Aberdeen may be more of a "championship test", but we have enough of that kind of golf on this trip. Hopefully, I'll be back and can put RA on the itinerary another time.

Doug Bolls

« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2024, 08:57:58 PM »
Sorry this is a little late - I've been traveling and playing.

Been to Scotland 3 times and as I look back there are 2 things I missed that I wish  had done:

1.  Play a round on the Ladies Putting Green in St. Andrews - it is after all the first of what has become the newest addition to newer golf resorts in the US - see Streamsong and PGA Frisco for example.

2.  Play Musselburgh with a set of hickory clubs - one of the oldest (1672), and unique courses in the world - plays in and around a racetrack. I'm sure it's a fun experience - sorry I missed it.

My Best,
Doug

Malcolm Mckinnon

« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2024, 09:46:45 PM »
Seconded, for the Ladies putting club at St. Andrews! Himalyas!

Actually, that's the only golf I played in the town over four years of having a flat in Edinburgh.

My wife, Blair, is a descendant of one of the founders of the the Honorable company of St. Andrews Golfers and has two ancestors who served as captains of the club. We were given a curated tour of the clubhouse when we were there .

Steve_Lovett

« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2024, 09:57:07 AM »
Sorry this is a little late - I've been traveling and playing.

Been to Scotland 3 times and as I look back there are 2 things I missed that I wish  had done:

1.  Play a round on the Ladies Putting Green in St. Andrews - it is after all the first of what has become the newest addition to newer golf resorts in the US - see Streamsong and PGA Frisco for example.

2.  Play Musselburgh with a set of hickory clubs - one of the oldest (1672), and unique courses in the world - plays in and around a racetrack. I'm sure it's a fun experience - sorry I missed it.

My Best,
Doug

Thank you, Doug. I will definitely do #1. I'll look into Musselburgh but suspect our itinerary is too full to fit it in. I appreciate both suggestions.

Steve_Lovett

« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2024, 09:58:05 AM »
Woof! This thread makes it seem like Scotland is a prison! Just have fun and treat it as a once in a lifetime trip - smile and enjoy the time here. A few suggestions:

- Go for a swim at St Andrews. All the students do it, and so did Old Tom every day. It will get the blood flowing!!
- Climb North Berwick law. It looks massive, but in reality, it takes about 20-30 minutes. The view from up there is breathtaking
- Bostock bakery in East Linton and North Berwick have the best pastries.
- Bonnie Badger pub in Gullane was rated one of the best pubs in East Lothian.
- Visit Jack White's shop in Gullane - full of old hickories and trinkets. Boris is a local legend
- Stop by Archie's museum. It's inside the Gullane pro shop
- At Muirfield you must try a Kummel. It's like fighter jet fuel and you will float to the first tee and proceed to birdie the first 6 holes
- If you have time, the V&A in Dundee is worth a stop. It was designed by Kengo Kuma, who designed the Olympic Stadium in Japan
- In Elie, you must stop off for a drink at the 19th hole; at St Andrews, the Dunvegan (and the Jigger)

Hope that helps, and enjoy the time here !!

Wonderful - thank you!

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2024, 06:05:06 PM »
There’s fantastic Hickory Golf much nearer St Andrews if it helps:
https://www.nts.org.uk/visit/places/hill-of-tarvit-mansion/highlights/kingarrock-hickory-golf
Cheers,
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2024, 06:12:01 PM »
Oh, and of course there’s the Euros:
https://www.uefa.com/euro2024/news/0257-0e13b161b2e8-4a3fd5615e0c-1000--euro-2024-all-you-need-to-know/
You could do a lot worse than finding a good pub on the nights Scotland are playing, especially the Opening Game against the hosts, Germany.
Cheers - and c’mon, Scotland!
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2024, 03:46:08 AM »
Oh, and of course there’s the Euros:
https://www.uefa.com/euro2024/news/0257-0e13b161b2e8-4a3fd5615e0c-1000--euro-2024-all-you-need-to-know/
You could do a lot worse than finding a good pub on the nights Scotland are playing, especially the Opening Game against the hosts, Germany.
Cheers - and c’mon, Scotland!
F.
Or find a pub somewhere when England are playing and experience who the local patrons are cheering for!
:)
Atb

Kalen Braley

« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2024, 10:32:33 AM »
I don't see why Scotland would be any different than any where else with high volumes of visitors. They want their cake and to it eat it too.

They understand how important the tourist money is and love to get it, even thou they loathe the tourists...classic love/hate relationship.

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2024, 10:39:03 AM »
An observation: this thing about Americans being loud. Um ... does that imply that a bunch of drunk Scottish dudes are quiet? Seriously?

A recommendation: I know it is unlikely you'll go for this, but when I played Dornoch, on a whim I took a day off and drove to Isle of Skye. One day off turned to three, and I don't regret it for a second. Absolutely amazing part of the country.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2024, 10:52:58 AM »
I don't see why Scotland would be any different than any where else with high volumes of visitors. They want their cake and to it eat it too.

They understand how important the tourist money is and love to get it, even thou they loathe the tourists...classic love/hate relationship.

Kalen,

On our three trips, we found the Scots nothing but welcoming. It is the reason that my OP strongly recommended having a meal in the club. We inevitably ended up in an enjoyable conversation with members. We made a faux pas at Elie last year when we lingered over drinks too long when the club was hosting an event that evening, and the members and club manager could not have been more gracious. We did skidaddle out when we realized our error.

Ira

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back