News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Pete_Pittock

The Old Course or ANGC and wind
« on: April 12, 2024, 12:46:12 PM »
If you were playing either course in competition on a windy day, would you prefer?
For scoring I would pick TOC as the wind effect would be calculable, whereas a parkland course would be a guessathon.
For physical comfort, the oppose choice if you like being in the lee.

cary lichtenstein

Re: The Old Course or ANGC and wind
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2024, 11:31:04 PM »
Old Course

Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Paul Rudovsky

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2024, 11:08:59 AM »
TOC or any links course much easier to play in the wind...not even close.  Trees block the winds coming from certain directions in  certain locations.  That causes a "partial vacuum" to form and since "nature abhors a vacuum" other air rushed into the space from another direction.  That is why the flags on holes 11 & 12 at ANGC show winds from totally different directions simultaneously

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2024, 01:53:42 PM »
Links courses are designed so you can land the ball short of the green and bounce it on when a hole is playing downwind.

Augusta has very few holes where that will work at all.  Obviously some of them are fronted by water or bunkers, but even at some where it's short grass in front, like 3 and 14, short is the worst place to be.

jeffwarne

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2024, 04:42:51 PM »
At a links course you can mitigate the wind by controlling trajectory.
Often at Augusta, especially when firm(which it was), you have to maintain height to stop the ball,as runups simply aren't a viable predictable, option on most holes
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back