News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

Inside Kevin Norby’s restoration of A.W. Tillinghast’s Golden Valley  TFC contributor Bradley S. Klein provides a unique perspective on the club’s two-year process to reclaim the Golden Era architect’s original intent.GOLDEN VALLEY, Minnesota — For the past two years, golf course architect Kevin Norby has been restoring Golden Valley Country Club, an A.W. Tillinghast gem from 1926 in the Twin Cities area.With the work now done and the course healing up for reopening in 2024, I thought it appropriate to explain what an insider like myself saw and learned along the way about the process. My vantage point was as paid consultant to the designer — a secondary role to be sure, but one that gave me privileged access as well as occasional license to voice my concerns. 

Golden Valley, a private membership club only 5 miles west of downtown Minneapolis, Minnesota, struck me immediately by virtue of its routings. The par-73 layout includes six par 5s, five par 3s and only seven par 4s. The property is trisected by a road and by an active railroad track that is played over on the tee shot for the par-5 sixth hole. Those who warm to the classic sounds of a train whistle will feel very comfortable here. The greens are steeply sloped, the greenside bunkers very deep and the grounds are blessed with over two dozen stately elm trees that have managed to survive the blight that otherwise devastated much of American parkland golf in the 1960s and 1970s.
Norby, a longtime member of the American Society of Golf Course Architects, is a locally based designer with a long resume of both new courses and renovations across the country — many of them in the upper Midwest. His work at Golden Valley with superintendent David Phillips and the construction team from Duininck Golf was meticulous in ensuring the authenticity of the Tillinghast heritage.
The club’s collection of vintage course photography proved indispensable. So, too, did the advice of Tillinghast biographer and architecture archivist Philip Young, who spent some time on site as well as undertaking background research. At one point we addressed a members’ meeting and helped allay concerns they had by assuring them this project was all being done in the spirit of a Tillinghast restoration.
Klein's role — in the form of seven site visits, follow-up reports and lots of conversation via email and phone — was to provide a second set of eyes to the project, affirming some decisions Norby made, encouraging him to be bolder when he might otherwise have wavered, and assuring the club not to compromise or in any way hold back when they had this one — and only — chance to get things right. That was especially true when it came to tree removal, bunker slopes and cross bunkers.
Read more:
https://www.firstcallgolf.com/features/feature/2023-11-19/inside-kevin-norbys-restoration-of-a-w-tillinghasts-golden-valley
« Last Edit: November 20, 2023, 10:28:15 AM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Steve_ Shaffer

Re: Golden Valley CC in Minnesota( 1926, Tillinghast) Reno by Norby/Klein
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2023, 10:29:51 AM »
GVCC Routing Plan — 1924
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2023, 10:32:02 AM »
Golden Valley CC No. 12 Green Bunker Old
« Last Edit: November 20, 2023, 10:34:13 AM by Steve_ Shaffer »

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2023, 10:35:04 AM »
The original greenside bunker depth at Golden Valley Country Club's 12th hole.

PCCraig

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2023, 05:24:07 PM »
I really like Golden Valley. It's a fun club and the golf course is really good.

You see the old photos of the course in the Clubhouse (and above) and they have a serious WOW factor. Wish they could restore it to that.

Brad Klein talks about being bold in the article, but after seeing photos of the work so far, I wish they would have gone much bolder. They should of taken out a lot (LOT) more trees. They've also flattened a bunch of greens which is a shame since some of their greens were super fun/sloped.

Either way, should be fun to check out next year when they reopen.
H.P.S.

Daryl David

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2023, 08:19:23 PM »
Golden Valley was always been the hidden gem of private clubs in the a Twin Cities. This restoration has to be good news. I loved the old GV. Can’t wait to see the new GV.

Bruce Katona

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2023, 11:59:31 AM »
The bunker depth on the 12th @ GV reminded me on Yale.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back